Quarantined on the Millennium. A different experience. Ask any questions

gafnewyork

6 minutes ago, Prost Seattle said:

I don’t think it is asking too much for celebrity to have one policy over all of their ships. I think having balcony state rooms should be a bare minimum for passengers who are quarantined.

I agree 100%.  Now that they are not flying people home who are sick like they were in the beginning (and originally promised) they definitely need to quarantine people in balcony cabins.  It is just not right to put people in small outside cabins (which on M class ships are smaller than CC or AQ) or heaven forbid inside cabins for days and days on end.  It's stressful enough to test positive.  And then some people will have symptoms, some mild and some not so mild.  To expect them to be in that condition and being stuck inside a virtual closet is inhumane.  

21 minutes ago, Prost Seattle said:

I don’t think it is asking too much for celebrity to have one policy over all of their ships. I think having balcony state rooms should be a bare minimum for passengers who are quarantined.

I'm sympathetic, but a major reason some isolation/quarantine cabins are in OVs and inside cabins is that they're the only cabins available on decks near the medical center.

11 minutes ago, Honolulu Blue said:

I'm sympathetic, but a major reason some isolation/quarantine cabins are in OVs and inside cabins is that they're the only cabins available on decks near the medical center.

That made sense initially with earlier variants where even vaxxed people may be in pretty bad shape.  Most people who catch Omicron (by far the most widely contagious and peaking now) have only mild symptoms so don't really need to be that close.  Plus there's this thing called elevators (not meaning to be snarky to you - that point was directed at Celebrity).

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Honolulu Blue said:

Several of the ships have been using decks 6 and 7, not exactly 'near' medical.

6 hours ago, gafnewyork said:

Thank you.  I submitted very detailed and honest feedback via the after cruise survey we received.  

What happened to you is atrocious. But just mentioning it on a survey is not enough. Can I suggest your write up the entire incident and send it to X's CEO, Lisa Lutoff Perlo. Her e-mail address is below. I have e-mailed her before and her office is very responsive and things happen. It is not something I would normally recommend but this case is horrid. What is going to happen is that people will hear about it and won't report as sick and spread it further. 

Perlo copy.jpg

Edited by DrKoob
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, phoenix_dream said:

That made sense initially with earlier variants where even vaxxed people may be in pretty bad shape.  Most people who catch Omicron (by far the most widely contagious and peaking now) have only mild symptoms so don't really need to be that close.  Plus there's this thing called elevators (not meaning to be snarky to you - that point was directed at Celebrity).

Are you a medical professional tracking the various mutations?  Of the people I know who have Omicron some have been quite ill and some had Covid last year, fully vaxed including boosters.  I’m grateful for the live reporting of those onboard and glad no one is severely ill, but there are people who are suffering..

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DrKoob said:

What happened to you is atrocious. But just mentioning it on a survey is not enough. Can I suggest your write up the entire incident and send it to X's CEO, Lisa Lutoff Perlo. Her e-mail address is below. I have e-mailed her before and her office is very responsive and things happen. It is not something I would normally recommend but this case is horrid. What is going to happen is that people will hear about it and won't report as sick and spread it further. 

Perlo copy.jpg

Thank you so much for the advice and the email address.  I will certainly write her and share even more details of my experience.  

Im still haunted by the more than four hours of emotional negotiations, the back and forth between me and the doctor and then between the doctor and the Captain and then again between me and the the doctor that went a number of rounds.  All while I had a fever, was in high state of anxiety and dealing with all the other Covid symptoms.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Oville said:

Are you a medical professional tracking the various mutations?  Of the people I know who have Omicron some have been quite ill and some had Covid last year, fully vaxed including boosters.  I’m grateful for the live reporting of those onboard and glad no one is severely ill, but there are people who are suffering..

I don't understand your rather testy response to my statement.  I never said people can't get quite ill with Omicron - just that most people have only mild symptoms - this is taken from various news articles from reliable sources from medical experts which no, I am not.   I am also grateful for the reporting and also glad there is no one severely ill.  Not sure where or how you interpreted that I am not as I certainly never said, nor implied that. The only point I was making is that most people who are getting sick now who are fully vaccinated and do not have serious comorbidities do not get seriously ill and therefore do not necessarily need to be located right next to the doctor's office on the ship.  Therefore it would be much more pleasant for them to be located in a nicer cabin with a balcony so that they don't feel so claustrophobic.  This is certainly true for those who have been reporting on these boards.  That is the one and only point I was making, actually speaking up on behalf of the sick people and in no way disparaging them.

Edited by phoenix_dream
  • Like 3

48 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

Therefore it would be much more pleasant for them to be located in a nicer cabin with a balcony so that they don't feel so claustrophobic.  This is certainly true for those who have been reporting on these boards.  That is the one and only point I was making, actually speaking up on behalf of the sick people and in no way disparaging them.

Agree, aren’t most reporting in veranda cabins?  Honestly, being quarantined in any cabin is enough to make me not want to cruise.

7 hours ago, Oville said:

Agree, aren’t most reporting in veranda cabins?  Honestly, being quarantined in any cabin is enough to make me not want to cruise.

No. Depending on ship and which staterooms were fitted with proper ventilation, inside cabins are also being used to quarantine guests.  

21 hours ago, TeeRick said:

The cabin isolation location is something I had not considered and is a bit of a game-changer for me.  Back when the pandemic started and cruise ships like Diamond Princess were affected, or when ships like Eclipse were stranded at sea, I swore I would never sail in an Inside cabin.  If stuck on a ship I would want at the very least a balcony.  Or a suite would be the best case.  That was then.  This is now.  Even if in a suite - if I tested positive- I might spend the rest of my cruise isolated in an Inside cabin with no fresh outside air.  And this depends on the ship and the Captain's decision right now?  No way would I cruise right now.  

I agree and cancelled a 17-day January Hawaii cruise a few days ago for several reasons including the strong possibility of testing positive and being placed in isolation. We hope things are better for our April Constellation sailing.

From the discussions on Cruise Critic of isolation accommodations & amenities, I have adjusted my mindset to expect a bare bones, unpleasant, medically-dictated isolation arrangement whether on the ship or ashore. To me, in a global pandemic situation, it’s not actually realistic to expect cruise line guarantees of isolation accommodations resembling the purchased cruise. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Caribbean Chris said:

I agree and cancelled a 17-day January Hawaii cruise a few days ago for several reasons including the strong possibility of testing positive and being placed in isolation. We hope things are better for our April Constellation sailing.

From the discussions on Cruise Critic of isolation accommodations & amenities, I have adjusted my mindset to expect a bare bones, unpleasant, medically-dictated isolation arrangement whether on the ship or ashore. To me, in a global pandemic situation, it’s not actually realistic to expect cruise line guarantees of isolation accommodations resembling the purchased cruise. 

Were you refunded in full? Cash or just FCC? And what about your air? We are supposed to cruise on Feb 5th and getting a little nervous. I have MS.

Thank you

1 hour ago, pooh/tigger said:

Were you refunded in full? Cash or just FCC? And what about your air? We are supposed to cruise on Feb 5th and getting a little nervous. I have MS.

Thank you

Ours was a special circumstance, so not very relevant here. Our Holland America Hawaii cancellation was triggered because a close relative died, which was covered under our Travel Guard insurance. That said, we were about to cancel anyway due to the Covid surge and fluctuations of the itinerary.

Holland America advised they would extend the original 2020 future cruise credit we’d used to pay for most of the cruise, and the remaining cash payments we made will be refunded to us by Travel Guard once we file the death certificate with them.

Edited by Caribbean Chris

32 minutes ago, Caribbean Chris said:

Ours was a special circumstance, so not very relevant here. Our Holland America Hawaii cancellation was triggered because a close relative died, which was covered under our Travel Guard insurance. That said, we were about to cancel anyway due to the Covid surge and fluctuations of the itinerary.

Holland America advised they would extend the original 2020 future cruise credit we’d used to pay for most of the cruise, and the remaining cash payments we made will be refunded to us by Travel Guard once we file the death certificate with them.

Thank you

I'm sorry for your loss

• Like 1

On 1/8/2022 at 8:41 AM, Caribbean Chris said:

Sorry for your loss.  

we emailed Celebrity today asking about our refund for the two days we were in quarantine.  We are not interested in a future cruise credit as we have hit the pause button on any future cruises until the lines we sail with have more transparency and humanity in how they deal with passengers who become infected with Covid on their ships.  

1 hour ago, gafnewyork said:

Sorry for your loss.  

we emailed Celebrity today asking about our refund for the two days we were in quarantine.  We are not interested in a future cruise credit as we have hit the pause button on any future cruises until the lines we sail with have more transparency and humanity in how they deal with passengers who become infected with Covid on their ships.  

It will be interesting to see if you are successful in demanding a cash refund.  It would be very generous of Celebrity. 

I am fairly certain that if a positive test would have prevented you from boarding, you would have received a full cash refund.  I am not sure what the CWC terms say concerning quarantining and/or isolation.  

it is a very good question.

Edited by jagoffee

52 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

It will be interesting to see if you are successful in demanding a cash refund.  It would be very generous of Celebrity. 

I am fairly certain that if a positive test would have prevented you from boarding, you would have received a full cash refund.  I am not sure what the CWC terms say concerning quarantining and/or isolation.  

it is a very good question.

Their Cruise With Confidence specifically stipulates “refund” for the quarantine period.  

423EA1E1-5E90-4584-B543-CB767AD1DC48.png

On 1/6/2022 at 5:50 PM, silkismom said:

Imagine paying for a suite and getting stuck inside.

That's what I'm worried about.  We booked a Celebrity Suite for our cruise to Alaska thinking we would still be comfortable if we had to be quarantined.  I find this very disturbing.  I would hope you would get a refund for the days in isolation.

42 minutes ago, gafnewyork said:

Their Cruise With Confidence specifically stipulates “refund” for the quarantine period.  

423EA1E1-5E90-4584-B543-CB767AD1DC48.png

Yes, it looks clear to me.  You should not need to demand it as it is clearly an offered option.   Sorry this happened to you.  

Just a thought......what if someone has cold symptoms, i.e., headache, slight fever, coughing, etc., and is tested and it is really a false positive?  It has happened.  Maye the tests are more accurate now, but I would definitely want a second test to be sure before I was quarantined.  

On 1/6/2022 at 6:04 PM, gordylad said:

Just throwing this out there...is it in everyone's mind who wakes up with a sore head etc goes on to think it must be covid......I mean is a call to Celebrity guest relations while on board a "must" or could you have a day in bed with some paracetamol.

I was thinking the same thing. How many people will not report any symptoms based on the treatment in quarantine?  A few of my family members have had it recently and they were no worse than when they had a cold.  

• Like 1