mini-live from the Grand Princess: first Hawaiian sailing post covid--Jan 4-19, 2022

travelin.sisters

I'm wondering if you or if you heard about anyone going on the ho-ho in Honolulu.  Do you recall of there was a free shuttle from the pier to the Ala Moana Shopping area?  We are on the 19th sailing and you made the Hilo tour sound like so much fun that I just booked it!  I have mobility issues, so wondering if that would be a problem in the stops.  

39 minutes ago, CruzinNoony said:

I'm wondering if you or if you heard about anyone going on the ho-ho in Honolulu.  Do you recall of there was a free shuttle from the pier to the Ala Moana Shopping area?  We are on the 19th sailing and you made the Hilo tour sound like so much fun that I just booked it!  I have mobility issues, so wondering if that would be a problem in the stops.  

Please contact me:  princess username at gmail dot come (no spaces).  I will be happy to explain transportation with mobility issues by email.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, DB36 said:

I’ve enjoyed reading your posts. Thank you. Did you have to make reservations for any of the shows in the theater or lounges, or was it just show up 

No reservations needed for entertainment this cruise.

We do not have any production shows by singers and dancers this voyage.  According to one of the cruise director's staff the dancers are in quarantine this cruise so production shows will not be scheduled for us.  Entertainment is comedians, singers, instrumentalist, and a magician so far.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, CruzinNoony said:

I did not see a shuttle in Honolulu, they may return later as we are the first or there may have been shuttles & I did not see them...the only free shuttle I saw was Hilo Hattie which I am pretty sure was in Nawiliwili...a lot of the port stuff that we experienced in the past was not there (vendors at the ports, tour people right there offering tours etc) & I don't know when that will all return.

for the HIlo tour we took I don't think the stops would be too hard, but my sister was really hurting after getting in & out of that little bus/van & I don't think there was any place for mobility devices...I would definitely take any advice that Renee @cre8tiv1 has to share...she has been so gracious, informative & helpful

20 hours ago, travelin.sisters said:

Thank you.

Princess is not really giving out any of that information to the best of my knowledge. I was told by one person at the guest services desk (when I was sharing that, although I understand the need to have moved our cabins for isolation rooms, I did not appreciate that they did not actually notify me, I discovered it when printing our stuff for boarding...I feel like an email or notice to my TA would have been the least they could have done) that all of the Aloha deck is reserved for isolation....

Thank you for your information and insight.  Part of my confusion stems from the apparent large number of cabins Princess is using for quarantine. 

We found that our wheelchair accessible Caribe deck port side balcony (marked no upgrade) was being taken for quarantine when we received notice we were being moved to a non-accessible minisuite--not acceptable to a full time wheelchair user.  When contacted Princess advised the cabin was now in a quarantine area.  We were surprised Princess would take the cabins on this side of the fire door since these are B1 (the most expensive balcony category cabins) and suites.  So Princess is taking for quarantine on the Grand all of the Aloha deck, part of the port side Caribe deck, and apparently adding part of the Baja deck on the next cruise.

I did see on the roll call where someone on this cruise was moved from the Aloha deck wheelchair accessible cabin to a Caribe deck wheelchair accessible cabin, but I assume on the starboard side.  I agree that Princess should be more transparent about the quarantine cabins.   There are a limited number of wheelchair accessible cabins with a balcony and I am concerned Princess may push us out again.

9 hours ago, nini said:

The produce at the Hilo Market looked fabulous! Imagine having a year round Farmer's Market... heavenly.

we have year-round farmer's markets in southern California, but not that variety of fruit & vegetables...it was wonderful, supposedly if you go Saturday or Wednesday it is even more extensive

7 hours ago, DB36 said:

I’ve enjoyed reading your posts. Thank you. Did you have to make reservations for any of the shows in the theater or lounges, or was it just show up 

the only thing that I know they did signups for were the 'ukulele classes (to be able to borrow a 'ukulele--if you have your own you are good), the straw lei classes (to buy the kit from Leialoha), the ribbon lei (they divided people into 4 groups) & the flower lei classes (again 4 sessions) other than that I haven't noticed anything that needed sign ups we only went to one show so...

1 hour ago, travelingbears said:

We didn't get Princess Plus for upcoming Hawaii cruise.  Will wifi cost the same if we pre-purchase or purchase onboard? I have gotten so many different responses.  

I bought it before traveling (4 devices & the 3 of us in 2 different cabins all used it) on boarding I got 1/2 back as credit for being Platinum...I was really annoyed when they took away our free minutes but it has been lovely having unlimited minutes for all of us & only ended up being $5/day...I didn't see any discounts on the first day so I don't know what they were or even if they were...sorry that is not an answer to your question but its all I know

23 minutes ago, montgomeryfamily said:

Thank you for your information and insight.  Part of my confusion stems from the apparent large number of cabins Princess is using for quarantine. 

We found that our wheelchair accessible Caribe deck port side balcony (marked no upgrade) was being taken for quarantine when we received notice we were being moved to a non-accessible minisuite--not acceptable to a full time wheelchair user.  When contacted Princess advised the cabin was now in a quarantine area.  We were surprised Princess would take the cabins on this side of the fire door since these are B1 (the most expensive balcony category cabins) and suites.  So Princess is taking for quarantine on the Grand all of the Aloha deck, part of the port side Caribe deck, and apparently adding part of the Baja deck on the next cruise.

I did see on the roll call where someone on this cruise was moved from the Aloha deck wheelchair accessible cabin to a Caribe deck wheelchair accessible cabin, but I assume on the starboard side.  I agree that Princess should be more transparent about the quarantine cabins.   There are a limited number of wheelchair accessible cabins with a balcony and I am concerned Princess may push us out again.

I hope they got you a cabin that fits your needs! 

I walked the stairs to the Aloha deck both fore & aft & both sides are closed off by the fire doors with signs saying area closed/restricted zone so it seems as if they are using a section between fire doors? 

Medallion Net:  I am only rehashing what has already been described by many @Steelers36.

1.  Pre-purhase for $10 a day/one device with 50% OBC (refundable/debatable).  Net:  $5/day

2.  Purchase on first day for $15 a day/one device with 50% off for Elite/Platinum.  Net:  $7.50 a day.

3.  There is also a multiple device plan.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, travelin.sisters said:

I bought it before traveling (4 devices & the 3 of us in 2 different cabins all used it) on boarding I got 1/2 back as credit for being Platinum...I was really annoyed when they took away our free minutes but it has been lovely having unlimited minutes for all of us & only ended up being $5/day...I didn't see any discounts on the first day so I don't know what they were or even if they were...sorry that is not an answer to your question but its all I know

oops that was $10/day for the 4 devices $5/day would have been 1 SORRY!

18 hours ago, travelingbears said:

We didn't get Princess Plus for upcoming Hawaii cruise.  Will wifi cost the same if we pre-purchase or purchase onboard? I have gotten so many different responses.  

If purchased before cruise you pay full price and get half back in OBC as your platinum/elite benefit.  You cannot use OBC you have on account to purchase it until you get onboard the cruise. We had enough OBC we waited to purchase after boarding,  instead of using our credit card to pay full price and getting half back as additional OBC.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, UT-Volsfan said:

If purchased before cruise you pay full price and get half back in OBC as your platinum/elite benefit.  You cannot use OBC you have on account to purchase it until you get onboard the cruise. We had enough OBC we waited to purchase after boarding,  instead of using our credit card to pay full price and getting half back as additional OBC.

I am wondering what the full  price was once onboard? Ours ended up as a $10/day for 4 devices after the half back (would have been $5/day for 1 device) was that the same price once onboard? Thanks, I purchased ahead because I thought it was more once onboard but would be good to know for the next time.

18 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Medallion Net:  I am only rehashing what has already been described by many @Steelers36.

1.  Pre-purhase for $10 a day/one device with 50% OBC (refundable/debatable).  Net:  $5/day

2.  Purchase on first day for $15 a day/one device with 50% off for Elite/Platinum.  Net:  $7.50 a day.

3.  There is also a multiple device plan.

This was exactly the pricing (within a penny) on the Majestic in Oct/Nov.  We pre-purchased for one device and it was $5 a day after half back.  I went to internet manager and asked if I had waited to buy on board the first day and he said $14.98 and would get back half as OBC.  I promptly pre-paid for 1/19/22 on the Grand and am expecting half back in OBC when I board.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, CalLuvsCrusingToo said:

How has the Grands ride been with the tsunami warning today?

Basic earth science:

On the open ocean, a ship will not have any adverse actions due to a tsunami since the distance between the ocean floor and surface disperses the energy.

It is not until you near the shoreline do you begin to see any tsunami activity because the depth between the shore and the surface water is greatly reduced and energy is heightened.

Another tsunami difference is that waves ebb and roar.  In a tsunami, the water will recede.  This is what presents the most danger to people on the shore.  

if you want a more detailed explanation, goggle it.  This is just a overly simplified description.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, CalLuvsCrusingToo said:

How has the Grands ride been with the tsunami warning today?

We understood that the wave passed beneath us somewhere in the 0200-0300 timeframe. Slept right through it. @cr8tiv1is spot on. Truly a non event while on the open sea. 

• Like 3