Questions related to all things Covid testing relating to Princess Cruises

Host CJSKIDS

Any ship which calls in any Canadian port is not going to have the exemptions that allowed for non Canadian cruises. Wake up folks and if you have an exemption then I would be contacting Princess sooner rather than later

Strange that Princess still hasn't updated its website to reflect the Canadian government requirements for pre-embarkation testing, which is 2 days for antigen tests, not 1 day as shown on the Princess website.  Some friends that are going on a May Alaska cruise out of Vancouver with us called Princess yesterday and the agent confirmed that the requirement is 2 days.

Well, this is what it says on the UPDATED Princess CruiseHealth FAQ's:

Sounds like they may not let you off the ship...

UPDATED: What requirements are in place for guests who have been approved for a vaccination exemption?

In accordance with health authority directives, all unvaccinated guests must follow these COVID-19 protocols:

• Show proof of a negative pre-travel COVID-19 RT-PCR test performed three days prior to sailing.
  • Have an embarkation day COVID-19 test performed at the terminal. We must provide testing information and reporting to the destinations we visit. To cover the cost of testing and administration, we will add a charge of $150 (U.S.) per person to your onboard account if you are cleared to sail.
  • You may not be permitted ashore in all ports and, if allowed, may only go ashore through shore excursions sold by or through Princess using tour operators who comply with our COVID-19 protocols. Self-exploration or participation in shore excursions not sold through or operated by Princess will not be permitted.
  • You may also be required to have a COVID-19 test performed prior to disembarkation.

If you refuse to be tested or screened or to follow COVID-19 protocols, you will be denied boarding, and no refund or credit will be issued.

Edited by bmc alabama

4 hours ago, kamelia said:

This is the most recent information posted on Princess.com:

UPDATED: Do testing requirements differ for cruise or cruisetour itineraries that include Canada?

Yes, based on current Canadian requirements for voyages that include Canada on their cruise itinerary, all guests ages five and above will require a medically observed negative viral COVID-19 test result taken before boarding the ship:

• Within 1 day for Antigen
  • Within 3 days for PCR 

Children aged two to four (who are not yet eligible for COVID-19 vaccines) will require a medically observed negative viral PCR COVID-19 test within 3 days before boarding, plus an antigen test taken at the terminal (complimentary).

We’re working closely with Canadian health authorities to manage updates as policies evolve and will advise booked guests of any changes as they occur.

For cruisetours that begin with the landtour, guests do not need to be tested prior to their landtour. We will facilitate and cover the cost of testing for these guests toward the end of the landtour prior to their embarkation. No testing is required for disembarkation in Vancouver.

For cruisetours that end with the landtour, guests are not required to be tested prior to disembarkation.

I think the one day testing requirement is going to be a major problem for many people who are flying in just one day before their Alaska cruise.  Thankfully we flying in 3 days before to Seattle, so we should have enough time to do the emed test.  That said, I  hope most of these ridiculous protocols are gone by the time of our cruise in July.

Edited by travelhound

1 hour ago, travelhound said:

I think the one day testing requirement is going to be a major problem for many people who are flying in just one day before their Alaska cruise.  

The Canadian Government is allowing an antigen test 2 days prior.  Princess just hasn't updated the guidance on their website.

13 hours ago, westcoaster said:

The Canadian Government is allowing an antigen test 2 days prior.  Princess just hasn't updated the guidance on their website.

Just to confuse us even more I saw the 2 day on a Canadian site but as late as yesterday the Arrivecan app says 1 day.

If Canada can not coordinate with themselves what hope is there that Princess can coordinate with Canada.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Sweet Deal said:

Really? Would you mind to share the link?

The link to the Canadian government website is in my post above (#577).  If you follow that link, it states:

Pre-Embarkation Testing Requirements for Passengers

To fulfill the above requirements, passengers requiring a pre-embarkation test will need to provide one of the following:

• Evidence of a negative COVID-19 molecular test (e.g. PCR test) – performed on a specimen collected from the person no more than 72 hours prior to their initial boarding of the cruise ship.
  • Evidence of a negative COVID-19 antigen test (e.g. RAT) – performed on a specimen collected from the person no more than 2 days before initially boarding the cruise ship.

This may have been answered already and I apologize since there are 24 pages on this topic. We’re cruising for 5 days Apr 29 from LAX ending in Vancouver. We have a flight back to LAX around 2pm the day the cruise ends. Does Princess offer testing enabling us board our flight? We were planning to take the end of cruise excursion in Vancouver with the included airport transfer. Otherwise, how do we take a test to fly back to the US? Thanks in advance for replies.

7 hours ago, Karlemil said:

Just to confuse us even more I saw the 2 day on a Canadian site but as late as yesterday the Arrivecan app says 1 day.

If Canada can not coordinate with themselves what hope is there that Princess can coordinate with Canada.

Yup, the entire process seems totally disorganized 🙃

This is interesting from the HAL website.  Many on the HAL board that have e-mailed for clarification are also reporting that testing is not required for their European cruises.

Testing:  Guests may be required to produce a negative COVID-19 test prior to travel. Please check with your airline and the arrival country’s requirements in advance of travel. Holland America Line does not require testing for travel to/from/within Europe above and beyond any governmental requirements

10 hours ago, Karlemil said:

I'm not sure what you mean by the ArriveCan app saying 1 day.  As of April 1, pre-entry tests are not required to enter Canada, and the ArriveCan website states that.    Cruise pre-embarkation testing  has nothing to do with crossing the border, and it is not entered on ArriveCan

https://tc.canada.ca/en/marine-transportation/marine-safety/ship-safety-bulletins/measures-support-safe-cruise-travel-canada-ssb-no-18-2021-modified-april-1-2022

This link details pre cruise testing requirements for passengers embarking onships having any ports  in Canada. This regulation is what specifies the PCR test within 72 hours of boarding the ship or an antigen test within 2 days of boarding. 

arriveCAN is a separate issue and is not consistent with this regulation. Princess isn't consistent either. It is clear there is a lot of confusion as the requirements are not all consistent with each other. Hopefully it will all be figured out and clarified soon. 

3 days for a "molecular test" 2 days for an antigen test, unless it is 1 day.  Perhaps they are defining it in hours not days.  You can have a test at the port, but it will cost you $100.00/person.  You can do it in your hotel room, if there is adequate fast internet.

Does it make sense?

In respect to the antigen test, it is estimated that it is only effective in detecting 50% of those who are carrying the Covid Virus.  It is estimated that the PCR (Molecular Test) is more sensitive, but it is also estimated that the test is so accurate that it has many False Positives.

Wearing a mask.  Certainly if individuals would wear a properly fitted N-95 or KN-95 it would help to reduce infection.  But it is only these masks, worn properly that seem to be of benefit.

Despite what the Cruise Industry, Princess, the government of the United States, or Canada wishes...there is no way to totally insulate onself from potential exposure to the Covid virus while on a cruise.  

Perhaps they should be a bit more realistic.

I, myself, have just taken the 2nd booster.  I feel that I have done the best that I can to protect myself and my family from contracting the virus, as well as transmitting it to others.

On 4/1/2022 at 8:22 AM, Ombud said:

I have it calendared to schedule the antigen test 2 days ahead. But grocery shopping at Safeway today & will ask why I can't get on the schedule. I need it anyway for the Philharmonic May 13th. They checked my  vax & DL to make sure I was up to date last weekend (conductor's choice)

Hello, I would like your suggestions on where I can schedule the antigen test in or around the Clayton/Concord area.  We live in Concord and several of us will be sailing on the Ruby Princess on May 20 to Alaska.  Your recommendations will be most appreciated.  Thanks, Helen.

@haleygirli usually go to CVS Minute Clinic on Bancroft but there's also StatMed on Sunvalley Mall. Both bill insurance or state. A Google search brought up dozens that charge.

Another alternative is online. Currently the government is shipping IMed covid tests and they do a proctored test for $25.  

On 4/6/2022 at 8:27 PM, bmc alabama said:

Well, this is what it says on the UPDATED Princess CruiseHealth FAQ's:

Sounds like they may not let you off the ship...

You may also be required to have a COVID-19 test performed prior to disembarkation.

If you refuse to be tested or screened or to follow COVID-19 protocols, you will be denied boarding, and no refund or credit will be issued.

Not quite sure what is meant by "COVID-19 protocols but Joy-Ks posts #659 and #660 are worth a read

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2758384-roll-call-san-francisco-to-hawaii-march-27-2022/page/27/

Clearly, the company has supreme confidence in the air-con filtration technology. This is not a view shared by Drews-Cruise in #678. But don't worry, I'm convinced Princess will sort out this glitch.

17 hours ago, erber said:

https://tc.canada.ca/en/marine-transportation/marine-safety/ship-safety-bulletins/measures-support-safe-cruise-travel-canada-ssb-no-18-2021-modified-april-1-2022

This link details pre cruise testing requirements for passengers embarking onships having any ports  in Canada. This regulation is what specifies the PCR test within 72 hours of boarding the ship or an antigen test within 2 days of boarding. 

arriveCAN is a separate issue and is not consistent with this regulation. Princess isn't consistent either. It is clear there is a lot of confusion as the requirements are not all consistent with each other. Hopefully it will all be figured out and clarified soon. 

This is interesting.  I just looked at the Princess web site and here are the requirements they say which are different than what Canada is saying for Antigen testing.  1 day instead of 2.  So, I suspect Princess is wrong!

"Voyages that include Canada:
Based on current Canadian requirements for cruising, all guests ages five and above will require a medically observed negative viral COVID-19 test result taken before boarding:

• Within 3 days for PCR"

9 minutes ago, BigTimeCruiser said:

This is interesting.  I just looked at the Princess web site and here are the requirements they say which are different than what Canada is saying for Antigen testing.  1 day instead of 2.  So, I suspect Princess is wrong!

Based on current Canadian requirements for cruising, all guests ages five and above will require a medically observed negative viral COVID-19 test result taken before boarding:

• Within 3 days for PCR"

Since Princess is the one allowing you to board I would take their guidelines seriously 

1 hour ago, memoak said:

Since Princess is the one allowing you to board I would take their guidelines seriously 

Yep, just got off the phone with Princess, as of today it is indeed still 1 day for Antigen, 3 days for PCR.

Looks like we will be cancelling our May 4 Discovery cruise..

• Like 1

I have a question hopefully someone can answer, we are on a Princess cruise in May out of Southhampton, both my husband and I had COVID in early March, according to Princesse's website if you have tested positive within 90 days of sailing and provide your positive test result along with a doctors note stating you are recovered and fit to travel then we should not have to test. What I am wondering has anyone had this scenario and was it that easy to just supply those two things or were they scrutinized or made to test in port? 

Anyone info about this is greatly appreciated. I have called Princess several times and got differing answers.

Thanks

5 hours ago, cattman said:

Yep, just got off the phone with Princess, as of today it is indeed still 1 day for Antigen, 3 days for PCR.

We have had several PCR tests through Kaiser here in Oregon and have always gotten results in abou 24 hours 

5 hours ago, cattman said:

One thing to note, I believe the ID NOW test at Walgreens (takes about 1-2 hours) qualifies under PCR.  It is technically a NAAT (Nucleic Acid Amplification Test).  PCR is technically a type of NAAT.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/lab/naats.html

This all gets so confusing in the acronyms, but that test (ID NOW) is very different than the antigen.  We used it to travel to Hawaii when they were requiring the PCR and have also used it for prior cruises on Royal and Carnival (DCL and Virgin did their own testing at the port).  It IS NOT an antigen test.  I guess my point is, see if you have a Walgreens near by that offers the ID NOW (red dot) test and just do it.  It won't be 15 minutes, but usually results come in an hour or two.

9 hours ago, BigTimeCruiser said:

• Within 3 days for PCR"

Your quote is what I initially read on 5 April.  Went back to the FAQs about 30 minutes ago (8 April) for US/Canada sailings and it now shows--

Voyages that embark in Canada:

• Within 3 days for PCR

Wording changed from "INCLUDES" to "EMBARK"

I am really confused now?? Am I reading this correctly??