Questions related to all things Covid testing relating to Princess Cruises

Host CJSKIDS

38 minutes ago, Thrak said:

I've heard of people getting dud test kits so, for the two of us, I would probably want to get the 3 pack which is $99. Are these kits covered by insurance?

Edit: We don't take our laptops when we cruise and I'm wondering how feasible it is to do these proctored tests using a phone or an 8" tablet.

I've seen many Youtube videos where people use their iPhone.  I think ipad or latest Android based tablet should work. We have devices that support iOS and Android so will just make sure the software is updated and the Navica app is installed before we cruise, and create the Navica account ahead of time, in case we have to do the Antigen test at the hotel.

15 minutes ago, Seattitude said:

My cousin is going to be the the cabin next to ours and has bought the WiFi package for 4 devices.  Can they share with us?   

Yes.  The package will allow up to four connections (devices) at any one time.

21 minutes ago, CdnCrooser said:

Princess has updated the CruiseHealth™ FAQ: Sailings from the U.S. and Canada

(April 11, 2022) 

image.thumb.png.620b4fd5773abe5babc5b135b58daf26.png

So if it is 72 hours can you time that from your arrival time ?  If embarkation is delayed are you going to need another test ?

5 minutes ago, memoak said:

So if it is 72 hours can you time that from your arrival time ?  If embarkation is delayed are you going to need another test ?

I think the timing for tests hinges on the scheduled departure.

51 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

Thanks for the response.  I accidently posted this question on the wrong page.  🥴

52 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

15 hours ago, scooter6139 said:

I believe it is a 2 day for Antigen test, 3 day for PCR.  Last I checked Princess had not updated their FAQ page for Canada.

I just looked at the FAQ and completely confused now. Says 3 days PCR / 2 days antigen for cruises embarking in Canada. What about cruises stopping in Canada????? Is that the same as everywhere else? Up to date = 3 days PCR or Antigen?

Edited by Ombud
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Ombud said:

I just looked at the FAQ and completely confused now. Says 3 days PCR / 2 days antigen for cruises embarking in Canada. What about cruises stopping in Canada????? Is that the same as everywhere else? Up to date = 3 days PCR or Antigen?

As of yesterday Canada said it applies to boarding a ship that either leaves from Canada or stops in Canada.  But the timing is from embarkation not the stop in Canada.  But obviously subject to change.

BINAX TESTS WERE NOT COVERED BY MEDICARE.  TWO CLAIMS - SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT STORIES.

We tried submitting  manual claims to MediCare for our "proctored" BINAX tests we took (using the link Princess provided) for our February 2022 Caribbean cruise, and the claims were denied. 

The letter to my wife read "Providers are required by law to enroll in the Medicare Program and to submit claims to Medicare on your behalf.  Please advise your provider of care to submit this claim to our office for payment". 

The letter to me was similar, but missing the above wording... but it said "We will not be able to process this request for payment.  Currently Medicare does not pay for OTC COVID-19 tests."  Then it goes on say that some drugstores are providing "free" OTC tests.

I'm not sure which (Or if either) claim was handled right... but it's interesting that Medicare is handling two pretty-much-identical claims... differently.  One of them seems to imply that Optum is doing something illegal by providing the proctored tests without allowing insurance info to be entered. 

The claims were handled two days apart (March 29 and March 31), so perhaps in those two days Medicare (Or their agent Noridian whose name is on the letters) changed their policy... or perhaps the agents don't understand the policy and are just kicking out some form letters that look close to what they think they need. 

Bottom line is... your mileage may vary, but don't depend on these being reimbursed.

We have Medicare but also have ancillary insurance. The last time I was in Walgreens (2 or 3 days ago) the person at the pharmacy counter specifically told me that my insurance covered Covid tests. I didn't ask if that included the proctored tests because I'm almost positive they aren't included. What is included for me is multiple "regular OTC" tests per month.

I'd love to have the BinaxNOW tests covered but really don't think that is the case. Perhaps I'll go in and get clarification but, due to the cost, I don't think my insurance will cover it and you have now verified that Medicare doesn't cover it.

@Ombud Thank you so much for providing me with your suggestions for Covid testing in our area.  The CVS Minute Clinic on Bancroft will be quite convenient for us.  If CVS doesn't work out, I will use the online proctored test.  Thanks again and enjoy your upcoming cruise.

6 hours ago, haleygirl said:

@Ombud Thank you so much for providing me with your suggestions for Covid testing in our area.  The CVS Minute Clinic on Bancroft will be quite convenient for us.  If CVS doesn't work out, I will use the online proctored test.  Thanks again and enjoy your upcoming cruise.

Unfortunately they aren't offering antigen tests after 4/20 but StatMed will do them and bill your insurance. (Sunvalley & Lafayette).

Looks like CVS is no longer going to offer Rapid Antigen tests after 4/20 since I can't see any appointment opportunities after that date. Can anyone verify that Princess is accepting the Verified iHealth Covid-19 Antigen Rapid Test as an acceptable test?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, wendellman said:

Looks like CVS is no longer going to offer Rapid Antigen tests after 4/20 since I can't see any appointment opportunities after that date. Can anyone verify that Princess is accepting the Verified iHealth Covid-19 Antigen Rapid Test as an acceptable test?

IIRC CVS only opens appointments 7 days in the future so that is probably why you don’t see anything after 4/20. I know that Walgreens does the same. Check tomorrow and see if the 4/21 appointments are available.

In Florida CVS opens appts 2 weeks in advance. I checked for antigen tests and they no longer show up at the usual CVS stores that have had them. They do appear to be available in my area at a govt site that partners with CVS in Ft. Myers, Florida. 

2 hours ago, Ombud said:

Unfortunately they aren't offering antigen tests after 4/20 but StatMed will do them and bill your insurance. (Sunvalley & Lafayette).

Where are you getting this information?  Here are the appt. results I get at the Bancroft minute clinic.  They go further than 4/20.  You do have to answer yes to the first question otherwise they only offer PCR tests in the appt section.

Never mind!  I went further and they show no available times after 4/20.  

AA3AC95C-3B7E-48C1-8549-ACD040E8BA16.png

Edited by t&atravel

15 minutes ago, t&atravel said:

Where are you getting this information?  Here are the appt. results I get at the Bancroft minute clinic.  They go further than 4/20.  You do have to answer yes to the first question otherwise they only offer PCR tests in the appt section.

Never mind!  I went further and they show no available times after 4/20.  

AA3AC95C-3B7E-48C1-8549-ACD040E8BA16.png

Per pic you're also in my area .... I called and spoke with StatMed. Antigen tests only 8-12, can schedule up to a week in advance, results reported between 1-5, and no payment required. Thats my backup plan in case I don't get the PCR NAAT test back from CVS in 1-2 days. (Retest day 2) 

16 hours ago, Thrak said:

We have Medicare but also have ancillary insurance. The last time I was in Walgreens (2 or 3 days ago) the person at the pharmacy counter specifically told me that my insurance covered Covid tests. I didn't ask if that included the proctored tests because I'm almost positive they aren't included. What is included for me is multiple "regular OTC" tests per month.

I'd love to have the BinaxNOW tests covered but really don't think that is the case. Perhaps I'll go in and get clarification but, due to the cost, I don't think my insurance will cover it and you have now verified that Medicare doesn't cover it.

I called our Medicare Advantage Plan (Regence) and they said due to Medicare NOT covering Covid tests, that they do not either. They told me that the President had a choice and he choose that it not be covered for those on Medicare. Strange, since we are supposed to be a vulnerable part of the population. However, other non- medicare insurance plans can and do cover it.

16 hours ago, Thrak said:

Most of the insurance companies are only covering $12 for the "home tests"

8 hours ago, wendellman said:

I'm scrambling but I have 4 of those tests at home so I just chatting with Princess. She (Michelle Y) said Princess will accept this. Still doing CVS or StatMed next week (insurance covers both sites) but doing this one before my September cruise (I sail from Southampton)

24 minutes ago, Ombud said:

I'm scrambling but I have 4 of those tests at home so I just chatting with Princess. She (Michelle Y) said Princess will accept this. Still doing CVS or StatMed next week (insurance covers both sites) but doing this one before my September cruise (I sail from Southampton)

Did she specifically say the iHealth was acceptable? I also spoke to Princess and the person I spoke to would only say Rapid Antigen tests were acceptable. Would not commit to a specific test and referred me to Princess's ever changing updates. We cruise on the Majestic on 4/30 and would like to use these tests since they expire 6/22 and CVS seems to be discontinuing rapid testing.

11 minutes ago, wendellman said:

Did she specifically say the iHealth was acceptable? I also spoke to Princess and the person I spoke to would only say Rapid Antigen tests were acceptable. Would not commit to a specific test and referred me to Princess's ever changing updates. We cruise on the Majestic on 4/30 and would like to use these tests since they expire 6/22 and CVS seems to be discontinuing rapid testing.

Yes. I wrote out what the box said (Rapid Viral Antigen test for nucleocapsid protein antigen) and she said it fell under (1) rapid antigen and (2) viral antigen. But it must be proctored.  $25. Bringing tests to Southampton 

Let me know if you get a different answer

Edited by Ombud