Questions related to all things Covid testing relating to Princess Cruises

Host CJSKIDS

21 minutes ago, mya603 said:

Princess, please just stop all this testing!  

Do you really want to be packed in theaters and elevators with a bunch of people who are shedding virus ?  I don’t 

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

Isn't it CDC that decrees testing?

Yes, they are following the CSC cruise guidelines and they do have to report it to the ports as they come in.  How many positives on board, etc.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, memoak said:

Do you really want to be packed in theaters and elevators with a bunch of people who are shedding virus ?  I don’t 

I'm vaxxed and boosted and don't worry about the people around me on elevators, theaters, or elsewhere.  I don't live in fear.

BTW, where can one find the results of all of these cruise line tests?  I would like to know the overall percentage number of positive tests and the number of positive tests for people who were not sick.

Our local positivity rate is over 12 percent and there hasn't been a single case in the ICU for weeks.

Covid is mutating into more easily spread but less lethal variants.  That's what viruses do.  The Spanish flu and the Russian flu are still circulating and if there was a test for them, somebody would be in a panic.

Get vaxxed, get boosted, and get on wirh life.

• Like 6

42 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

I'm vaxxed and boosted and don't worry about the people around me on elevators, theaters, or elsewhere.  I don't live in fear.

BTW, where can one find the results of all of these cruise line tests?  I would like to know the overall percentage number of positive tests and the number of positive tests for people who were not sick.

Our local positivity rate is over 12 percent and there hasn't been a single case in the ICU for weeks.

Covid is mutating into more easily spread but less lethal variants.  That's what viruses do.  The Spanish flu and the Russian flu are still circulating and if there was a test for them, somebody would be in a panic.

Tell that to my 98 year old mother who just tested positive for covid

• Like 1

2 hours ago, memoak said:

I can go either way on the testing, I think the vaccine requirement is a good thing. Elevators are only a minute or two, does not bother me. We try to stay out of super crowded areas (honestly I think Princess Live is worse than the Theatre, never set foot in there last 2 cruises). We are fully vaxed and boosted and have had  Covid (myself once and husband twice).

I really did not worry much about getting sick on the ship last month,  from a personal health perspective I felt safe.   I did worry about testing positive and being quarantined for an expensive 10 days in  Canada though so I could fly home. 

Just saw your post about your mother....so sorry she is ill and I hope she recovers soon. 

Edited by Buckeye10640
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SargassoPirate said:

Good point 👍 

If you drop testing you need to drop isolation/quarantine as well.

Vaxed and boosted won't stop you getting the virus in your system and because the vaccines don't add extra immunity to the entry points it has a chance.

Test positive you are isolated on the ship and still have issues with travel in some countries.

That's the risk people many want to avoid  not getting sick or dying.

If  they  more contact tracing on the ship(easy with medallion) they would soon have an even bigger problem while test/isolate is in place 

You won't find numbers anywhere as they are keeping the big problem as secret as they can(all lines). 

1 hour ago, insidecabin said:

You won't find numbers anywhere as they are keeping the big problem as secret as they can(all lines). 

For a while the CDC was tracking the so-called breakthrough transmissions, but the numbers of serious illnesses were so low - less than your chances of being struck by lightning - that they don't track those anymore.  At least I can't find them on the CDC website.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

For a while the CDC was tracking the so-called breakthrough transmissions, but the numbers of serious illnesses were so low - less than your chances of being struck by lightning - that they don't track those anymore.  At least I can't find them on the CDC website.

When you can't find something, or don't really bother to look, do you just fabricate an explanation that fits your world-view?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

When you can't find something, or don't really bother to look, do you just fabricate an explanation that fits your world-view?

No.  Why would you say that?  

BTW, I follow our local covid numbers closely and that's why I can share that our positivity rate is over 12 percent and that there hasn't been a case in the ICU for several weeks.

Add to that a close relative who is an ICU nurse in another state   She hasn't had a covid patient for several weeks.  Those that are admitted to the hospital are reporting with flu-like symptoms and then are testing positive for covid.  The majority of them are unvaxxed.

So, d9704011, what's your world view?

• Like 2

Just my two cents -

Our cruise in August has been in the works for over 3 years. Multiple cancellations, four different itineraries, three different ships. Booked, re-booked, two cabin changes, lost some perks, gained some perks, now we have shipboard credit. Spent countless hours on the phone with the airline to book, re-book, find missing credits, and flight changes. Worked with two different hotels, multiple tour companies, and transfers to arrange and rearrange. Rinse, lather, repeat.

So if after three plus years of going through all of that and the only thing standing between me and a cold beer at the Tradewinds Bar is a vaccine card, a negative test, and wearing a mask on the ship, then (in my opinion) that is a small price to pay to be finally able to enjoy our trip.

Please note - your opinion may vary!

• Like 5

47 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

I hope she's okay.  Tell me, was she vaxxed, boosted, and wearing an N95 mask to protect herself?

Vaccinated and boosted twice. No one else in the family is positive. Lives in a memory unit where all residents and staff are vaccinated.  She sleeps a majority of the time 

On 6/2/2022 at 4:34 PM, LT Hambone said:

My apologies if this has already been asked!

We are on the Emerald in August, reading through the requirements, we need a negative test to board (got that covered!), and we need a negative test to fly back to the US. Looking at the Princess FAQ it says,

"If a negative COVID-19 test is required for re-entry into your home country, Princess will cover the costs of tests, provided guests can show proof that their flight arrangements are the same day as they disembark the ship."

Questions!

• Assuming the testing is being done on-board?
  • A previous post from someone who was on the Emerald last month said the on-board testing was a mess - did I read that correctly?
  • We are flying out same day as disembarkation - if we don't get tested on the ship, does Heathrow offer testing?

I do agree with multiple posters - this is incredibly stressful to have to figure out and execute. And if you miss one step, one test, one piece of documentation, the trip could be a ruined mess!

Thanks!

We were on the Emerald from May 9-21. Testing was done from 6:00 am to 9:00 am for only those flying home the next day. By our cruise, the Emerald finally had it together. It was very organized and went quickly and smoothly. You were told to wait in your stateroom for 30 minutes and no news was good news. We were in line about 5:50 am and there was already a line, but we wanted to make our 8:00 am shore excursion, which we did.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/international-travel-testing-guide/   (dated May 21, 2022)

BTW- the following countries NO LONGER require Covid testing to enter:

Canada, Mexico, Puerto Rico, Chile, Belize, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Croatia, Germany, Italy, Cyprus, France, Greece, Iceland, Ireland, Netherlands, Norway, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, UK, Austria, Serbia, Kosovo, Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao, Grenada, Jamaica, St. Lucia, US Virgin Islands, Turks & Caicos, Maritius, Seychelles, Bahrain, Jordan, United Arab Emirates, Israel, Indonesia, Malaysia, Maldives, Nepal, Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia

On 5/30/2022 at 6:00 PM, zerwey said:

My cruise departs from Southampton on Saturday July 9. I am flying from California to London on Wednesday July 6. The current requirement for my cruise is to get a negative covid test within 3 days before travel. If I get tested in California the morning of Wednesday July 6 (which is the afternoon of Wednesday July 6 in London), will that present any problems since the test result will be in the California timezone (although the timezone isn't explicitly listed, and in absolute terms it's within 3 days before the cruise)?

Going through much the same process since we are on the Southampton cruise 30 Sep.  It looks like we can go to Walmart and get the NAAT test free on the 27th.  Still haven't figured out how to test on the way home - we're spending one night in London so Princess won't do the test.

4 hours ago, memoak said:

Vaccinated and boosted twice. No one else in the family is positive. Lives in a memory unit where all residents and staff are vaccinated.  She sleeps a majority of the time 

I hope she has only a mild case and recovers.  A positive test like hers is a mystery, but the vaccine does not kill the virus, it just gives you immunity and a milder case.

My grandkids have been vaxxed and boosted twice and yet have tested positive asymptomatically twice for school activities. They didn't even know they had it - so the vaccine is doing its job.