Questions related to all things Covid testing relating to Princess Cruises

Host CJSKIDS

19 minutes ago, stevenr597 said:

I believe that if you are fully vaccinated with required boosters, you are required to have the test within two days prior to boarding, not counting the embarkation day as a required day.  This includes both Molecular and Antigen testing,. 

Three days for up to date.

Up to Date

Received all recommended COVID-19 vaccines, including any booster dose(s) when eligible at least 7 days before embarkation

Antigen

Within 3 days

PCR

Within 3 days

So, my husband, who has been out of town for a week, got a sore throat  yesterday.  He was coming home today.  We are supposed to be on the Majestic in a week.  He will be testing tomorrow.  But for tonight he is staying in a hotel.  

IF he tests positive within a week of embarkation he can't go.  We understand that.  

But what about me?  I know Princess says travel companions can't go either, but I have not been exposed to him.  If he tests positive he would head back to our vacation home where he's been all week and stay away from me.  

Would I still be denied boarding even though I have not been around him at all?

7 hours ago, BobbySu said:

So, my husband, who has been out of town for a week, got a sore throat  yesterday.  He was coming home today.  We are supposed to be on the Majestic in a week.  He will be testing tomorrow.  But for tonight he is staying in a hotel.  

IF he tests positive within a week of embarkation he can't go.  We understand that.  

But what about me?  I know Princess says travel companions can't go either, but I have not been exposed to him.  If he tests positive he would head back to our vacation home where he's been all week and stay away from me.  

I'd say you will be denied boarding if your husband tests positive.  The protocol on this is family members or travelling companions and you will fit both; they don't delve into the living arrangements and who can blame them; too complex and unreliable.

8 hours ago, BobbySu said:

My pre-cruise research  suggests that you would also be denied boarding. I had a similar scenario in that I was traveling with my daughter from college, listed as my same address but I would not have seen her for 3 weeks pre-cruise. Thankfully we were negative so I cannot report actual experience. 

So, you will nit be around him for 14 days prior to sailing?

The health assessment on the App, which you have to answer, asks the following:

n the 10 days before boarding, were you in contact with a person who had confirmed COVID-19 or COVID-19 symptoms?*

I think I would pursue this with Princess.

If you want to sail.

Hi...does everyone just take hard copies of their vaccination records to check in? I'm trying to upload them to the app but have lost the will to live just trying. I've converted them from pdf to jpeg but they only take one record and I have three. Cheers. 

12 hours ago, nini said:

In the meantime, the Emerald is " locking down" again due to covid outbreak. Their numbers are rising for crew and guests. When we were on the Emerald May 9-21, our numbers decreased and the bars were open on the 7th day (being able to sit and/or order at  bar).

Was anyone actually sick or were these "numbers" from wholesale testing of everyone?

Covid is becoming less lethal and the vast majority of people testing positive aren't sick - according to my local health department.  It is rapidly degenerating into just another member of the family of viruses that cause flu deaths every year - some 30-50K annually.  

Anyone who wants to really protect themselves should wear an N95 mask for covid now and the upcoming flu season.

This 

7 minutes ago, doog442 said:

Hi...does everyone just take hard copies of their vaccination records to check in? I'm trying to upload them to the app but have lost the will to live just trying. I've converted them from pdf to jpeg but they only take one record and I have three. Cheers. 

From what I have read, this can be done. 

How are these Vax records verified at check in?"  Is it a visual confirmation or some other method? 

On 6/9/2022 at 4:44 PM, PacnGoNow said:

I just got an answer from the IT dept.

He said it is supposed to be approved prior to boarding.  I don’t think this function is working yet.  JMHO

Don’t worry about it, you’ll show your

card at the port anyway.

Do they do a visual confirmation?

11 minutes ago, MixerDave said:

Yes, when you check in at the port, they want to see your docs.  They asked to see our original vax cards with the booster, the passports and our covid test results.  The covid we could show our test result email from CVS or a printed copy.

Took about 2 mins.  

Edited by PacnGoNow

15 minutes ago, MixerDave said:

They require original vax card proof.

Before cruise departure, guests eligible for vaccination will be required to attest through the MedallionClass app that they will be fully vaccinated at the time of embarkation. This means completing all required doses of a COVID-19 vaccine series at least 14 days before embarkation. Guests should be ready to show original proof of vaccination at cruise check-in.

Original proof of vaccination should clearly show the guest’s name on the vaccination card or certificate, which matches their photo ID, the dates vaccine doses were given (final dose must have been received at least 14 days prior to the beginning of the cruise), and the name of the facility administering the vaccination. Alternative proof may be required if there are questions and concerns about the submitted proof of vaccination.

Failure to provide this evidence will result in denial of boarding. Information provided will be subject to our privacy notice on princess.com and shared only as needed with Princess personnel, third parties or local health authorities as part of embarkation-related health protocols.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, doog442 said:

We've been on seven Princess cruises over three sailings since August. You will be fine with the paper records (take originals if available) and they are easier to manage at the port. You need to hand your passport anyway, so just hand all the paper to them. It's easier than juggling a phone. 

If you want to upload your three pages, place the three pages side-by-side on a table or desk and take a photo of all three together. Then you can upload that photo. 

HTH,

Kevin

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PacnGoNow said:

They require original vax card proof.

Before cruise departure, guests eligible for vaccination will be required to attest through the MedallionClass app that they will be fully vaccinated at the time of embarkation. This means completing all required doses of a COVID-19 vaccine series at least 14 days before embarkation. Guests should be ready to show original proof of vaccination at cruise check-in.

Original proof of vaccination should clearly show the guest’s name on the vaccination card or certificate, which matches their photo ID, the dates vaccine doses were given (final dose must have been received at least 14 days prior to the beginning of the cruise), and the name of the facility administering the vaccination. Alternative proof may be required if there are questions and concerns about the submitted proof of vaccination.

Failure to provide this evidence will result in denial of boarding. Information provided will be subject to our privacy notice on princess.com and shared only as needed with Princess personnel, third parties or local health authorities as part of embarkation-related health protocols.

For UK passengers, they don't have a vaccination card like we do in the US. I believe they have electronic records from the NHS that displays each shot on a separate page.

1 hour ago, doog442 said:

If the three records you have are separate pages of the same person's vaccination records, could you scan them into a new single PDF file for each person?  I know when we got our second booster, that went onto the back page of our vaccination cards, and I was able to scan the front page, used "ADD" (upper right corner of scan menu screen in the program I use) to scan in the back/second page, and then saved it as my vaccination record and did the same for DH's - one file for me and one file for him.  It's worked uploading that PDF file to Princess as well as with the airlines.  HTH!  (Oh, and yes, I also take our hard copies as well! 😊)

Edited by kamelia
clarification
  • Thanks 1

In our experience, staff prefer paper copies. Easier to check and handle,  rather than scrolling through various screens, trying to read the small print on small screens, often with the sun reflecting off the device.  

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, kml246 said:

For UK passengers, they don't have a vaccination card like we do in the US. I believe they have electronic records from the NHS that displays each shot on a separate page.

You are correct.  Did not see the poster was from the UK, nor was it mentioned.

Would be helpful to know that when a question is asked.

Thanks Kevin.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

Was anyone actually sick or were these 1. "numbers" from wholesale testing of everyone?

Covid is becoming 2. "less lethal and the vast majority of people testing positive aren't sick - according to my local health department."  It is rapidly degenerating into just another member of the family of viruses that cause flu deaths every year - some 30-50K annually.  

Anyone who wants to really protect themselves should wear an 3. "K95 mask" for covid now and the upcoming flu season.

1. Yes, there were actually guests being quarantined on the Aloha deck. I actually knew a few, some of whom were on our very active Roll Call for the May 9-21 British Isles Cruise on the Emerald. There was no "wholesale testing". Our covid numbers were so o low that we were then able to be at a bar and coffee bar to order and sit on Day 7.

2. That has been the experience of the quarantined guests... "I am being removed from my spouse for a runny nose." However, positive is positive and the cruise line is abiding by their guidelines.

3. K95 masks were freely available on the ship and distributed to the cabins before arrival.

4 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

Was anyone actually sick or were these "numbers" from wholesale testing of everyone?

Covid is becoming less lethal and the vast majority of people testing positive aren't sick - according to my local health department.  It is rapidly degenerating into just another member of the family of viruses that cause flu deaths every year - some 30-50K annually.  

Anyone who wants to really protect themselves should wear an N95 mask for covid now and the upcoming flu season.

Covid is becoming more like the flu and should be treated as such.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, insidecabin said:

None of the paper records are checked properly if it looks right your on the ship

Our experience to check in at the ship and at LHR to fly home was a VERY careful examination of our covid tests and vaccinations. The very first thing asked at LHR to fly home, was "May I see your covid test results?"

5 minutes ago, nini said:

Our experience to check in at the ship and at LHR to fly home was a VERY careful examination of our covid tests and vaccinations. The very first thing asked at LHR to fly home, was "May I see your covid test results?"

They look at a piece of paper and if it look ok job done.

Never had the 3 cruise lines we have used check properly using the links/QR 

5 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

So, you will nit be around him for 14 days prior to sailing?

The health assessment on the App, which you have to answer, asks the following:

n the 10 days before boarding, were you in contact with a person who had confirmed COVID-19 or COVID-19 symptoms?*

I think I would pursue this with Princess.

If you want to sail.

We are scheduled to leave next saturday.  He has been out of town for the last week.  On the night before coming home he had a sore throat.  We put him in a hotel for the night.  If he tests positive he would head to our second home and I will not have seen him in the 14 days prior to embarkation.  This is a whole family trip, so I wouldn't be sailing alone, but with all our kids and spouses.  I'm on hold with Princess, but have little faith in anything they say.

21 minutes ago, BobbySu said:

We are scheduled to leave next saturday.  He has been out of town for the last week.  On the night before coming home he had a sore throat.  We put him in a hotel for the night.  If he tests positive he would head to our second home and I will not have seen him in the 14 days prior to embarkation.  This is a whole family trip, so I wouldn't be sailing alone, but with all our kids and spouses.  I'm on hold with Princess, but have little faith in anything they say.

Let us know what they say.  I read the CDC travel and it says if have come in contact with a positive person.  You will be tested before you get on the ship too.

I’m going to search around a little.

If they day there’s a problem, ask where it says that on the website?