Questions related to all things Covid testing relating to Princess Cruises

Host CJSKIDS

Confusion reigns on a cruise Facebook group! Princess sent an email to a passenger saying 3 days means tests can only be taken from the Thursday before a Saturday departure date. We have ours booked for the Wednesday, and now everyone with Wednesday bookings are panicking! Can someone confirm that the Wednesday before a Saturday departure is fine? 

38 minutes ago, divadee007 said:

Confusion reigns on a cruise Facebook group! Princess sent an email to a passenger saying 3 days means tests can only be taken from the Thursday before a Saturday departure date. We have ours booked for the Wednesday, and now everyone with Wednesday bookings are panicking! Can someone confirm that the Wednesday before a Saturday departure is fine? 

Sure, I can confirm that it's fine.  Kinda useless though, isn't it?  Best to get a confirmation from Princess.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

Sure, I can confirm that it's fine.  Kinda useless though, isn't it?  Best to get a confirmation from Princess.

I dont trust that they can count currently! We are keeping it as the Wednesday. It is within 72 hours of boarding for us and that is 3 days and I know plenty of others who have boarded with tests on the Wednesday. If the worst happens we will test at the port, but I find that very unlikely. 

Edited by divadee007
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, divadee007 said:

I dont trust that they can count currently! We are keeping it as the Wednesday. It is within 72 hours of boarding for us and that is 3 days and I know plenty of others who have boarded with tests on the Wednesday. If the worst happens we will test at the port, but I find that very unlikely. 

I'm sure you're aware that there is a difference between three days and 72 hours for the testing and it depends on where your departure is from.

• Like 1

On 7/11/2022 at 7:00 AM, swdke said:

Hi, I'd like clarification on when I need to get my PCR test.  I'll be boarding on a Saturday in Quebec City Canada.  According to the Princess website, if doing a PCR test, a PCR test within 3 days of cruise.  So would the earliest test date be on the Wednesday before?

We're flying to Quebec City on Thursday and spending 2 nights before boarding on Saturday.  I do plan to purchase and bring the Optum BinaxNOW Antigen Telehealth test and maybe do the day before, but mostly I'd like to have a test in hand before leaving the US on Thursday, and hoping a PCR test taken on Wednesday will be valid, and not expired come Saturday boarding.  Looking for verification.

Thanks

To update, I understand the PCR test is valid 72 hours prior as opposed to 3 days.  We board on a Saturday in Quebec City, but the ship doesn't sail till next day, Sunday afternoon.  So when exactly would we need to get the PCR test and still be valid? Thanks.

22 hours ago, swdke said:

Yikes! I do see that they are out.  Just found out now as I was trying to purchase for myself.  Well, does anyone know how soon they replenish their supplies?  Thanks 

Checked the Princess Optum website link this morning and they now have the kits back in stock so I ordered a few.

32 minutes ago, nini said:

Our BinaxNow are good for one year.

For those considering the services that proctor the self-tests you already have at home - the expiration dates have been extended.  Check on the FDA site for the updated expiration date for your test boxes.  And keep the link - because they have extended some several times.

https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/coronavirus-covid-19-and-medical-devices/home-otc-covid-19-diagnostic-tests#list

Edited by Loveh2ofl
typo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We had a NAAT (PCR) test at Walgreens on a Wednesday at 4pm EST and 

took a cruise starting Saturday leaving Vancouver that we boarded at 12:30

(PDT) just under 72 hours.  Agent asked if NAAT was a PCR test and I said yes, so we had no problems!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello! Can someone please help me? I have a question about vaccinations. I'll be boarding on Regal Princess in August, in Athens. My vax card (EU Digital COVID Certificate) expired. According to the Princess website now, they accept people without vaccine. Has anyone travelled like this? without a valid vax card? I don't know if I should do the booster before my cruise. Thank you so much.

Does anyot want to hazard a guess as to when common sense will prevail and testing and quarantining people who are not sick will cease?

Here's a new twist. A close relative who is a nurse reported to me that the current tests do not detect the newest BA variants.

Covid has mutated to the point where it has joined the ranks of the annual flu in morbitity - or at least close to it for people who are vaccinated.

Those who are not vaccinated are on their own.

• Like 7

12 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

Does anyot want to hazard a guess as to when common sense will prevail and testing and quarantining people who are not sick will cease?

Here's a new twist. A close relative who is a nurse reported to me that the current tests do not detect the newest BA variants.

Covid has mutated to the point where it has joined the ranks of the annual flu in morbitity - or at least close to it for people who are vaccinated.

Those who are not vaccinated are on their own.

Where is the source of this info?  Also, common sense to you regarding Covid, testing and vaxxing is not common sense to others.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, emmak8 said:

If you recently had Covid  but testing positive you cannot board a ship? 

You can if you have a positive test document within 90 days of boarding and have recovered and 10 days have gone by. Also, a document from a health authority is good.

Go to the Princess website and read the health rules. It's all written there. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, takemeaway2008 said:

You can if you have a positive test document within 90 days of boarding and have recovered and 10 days have gone by. Also, a document from a health authority is good.

Go to the Princess website and read the health rules. It's all written there. 

Pretty sure you need a negative test to board!

7 minutes ago, emmak8 said:

I  am pretty sure YOU ARE RIGHT!

A test would be the easy way to do it, IF you test negative…no problem. 

However, a test is not required if you take the other route.  The issue with that, is that you may be subject to a secondary test before boarding.  

Look at the rules on the website, for your options if you have recently tested positive within 90 days of sailing, but you have 10 + days before your sail date.

I pasted this from the website Sailing from the US.

What if I had COVID-19 before my vacation and recently recovered? Will I be able to sail?

Guests who have recovered from COVID-19 within three months from the date of their cruise departure or cruisetour departure (whichever starts first) do not need to take a viral test before embarkation if they are at least 10 days past their COVID-19 infection, have no symptoms and produce documentation of recovery from COVID-19.

Documentation of recovery consists of the following:

• Paper or electronic copies of the positive viral test result from a certified laboratory (dated no more than 90 days ago) or
  • A valid digital COVID-19 certificate (DCC) or a document issued by an official health or government authority showing confirmed previous infection

Guests who present these documents will need to go through a secondary screening at the terminal, and boarding will be approved at the medical staff’s discretion. Guests who are unable to provide documentation of recovery that fulfills the above requirements must take the required COVID-19 viral test and show a negative result.

Don’t rely on answers on CC or other social media sites, as they can change very quickly.  Check PCL website.  Last update was July 14, 22.  Just yesterday.

With my recent Covid I tested positive for 12 days after first symptoms. Dr. gave me a note to say fully recovered. He also stated that PCR test can show positive for 90 days and so suggested Antigen test instead.

4 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

With my recent Covid I tested positive for 12 days after first symptoms. Dr. gave me a note to say fully recovered. He also stated that PCR test can show positive for 90 days and so suggested Antigen test instead.

Exactly. OP doesn’t give much information.  Makes it more difficult to answer question. 

Is the actual vaccination card sufficient or can a photo work.?  We have a cruise in September.  Just found out my brother only has a photo of his card on his phone, and the actual card was washed and ruined.  I just texted him to go to where he originally received his vaccine card and ask for a replacement.  Was wondering if anyone was able to board with just a photo.  Plus, cruise is out of Quebec City Canada, and a vaccine is needed to go to Canada.  Anyone else have this issue?  Thanks.

50 minutes ago, swdke said:

Is the actual vaccination card sufficient or can a photo work.?  We have a cruise in September.  Just found out my brother only has a photo of his card on his phone, and the actual card was washed and ruined.  I just texted him to go to where he originally received his vaccine card and ask for a replacement.  Was wondering if anyone was able to board with just a photo.  Plus, cruise is out of Quebec City Canada, and a vaccine is needed to go to Canada.  Anyone else have this issue?  Thanks.

Good question as this is what the Princess website states. Does a photocopy meet the digital record requirement? 

Guests can submit digital or paper records, or QR codes, showing the vaccine type, the date of each vaccine dose administered, the individual’s name and date of birth or other identifier.

Considering what is at stake I would definitely want paper records. Perhaps he can go to his county health dept. and get a copy of his vaccinations. 😉