Any changes in itineraries out there due to COVID?

schmenge

We are about a month from our planned Enchanted cruise, and have been searching the page for any examples of changed itineraries or outright dropped stops.  I am not particularly interested in a 10 day cruise to nowhere.  I appreciate sharing your experiences. Thanks.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, schmenge said:

We are about a month from our planned Enchanted cruise, and have been searching the page for any examples of changed itineraries or outright dropped stops.  I am not particularly interested in a 10 day cruise to nowhere.  I appreciate sharing your experiences. Thanks.

It all depends on the number of Covid cases on your ship and on land.

There is no way to tell in advance if you will be denied entry into a port until you know the case count numbers.

14 hours ago, schmenge said:

I am likely booked on the same cruise as you, and am also following this issue closely!  I am very active and have NO interest in being stuck on a boat for ten days... especially when we can simply rebook for a later sailing, and I have three more cruises coming up.  

I am hoping Omicron peaks quickly, and by the time we sail, we can stop in the scheduled ports.  I took Tak8's advice and read the Emerald thread and I must say I did find it a bit amusing that they couldn't even stop at Princess Cays 😄

• Like 1

Right now the issues seem to be in the Caribbean.  NCL and RCCL cancelled cruises this week due to sick or positive crew.  You still have a month, so things could improve by then, but most certainly hard to predict.  The concerning thing is the number of crew affected.  So far it appears Princess is doing better.  

I think Grand Cayman is going to be off the table as GC requires a negative test within one day before arrival in the Cayman Islands.  That would mean a need for every soul onboard being tested the day before a port call there.  I don't even know what would happen if some people were to test positive.

We don't care one way of the other how many ports we miss but I can understand that it bothers some folks.

You've got to be flexible at this time & accept that the itinerary can change in a moments notice. If it's that important to visit a particular port perhaps sailing right now isn't the right choice.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, MissP22 said:

You've got to be flexible at this time & accept that the itinerary can change in a moments notice. If it's that important to visit a particular port perhaps sailing right now isn't the right choice.

You've nailed it.  I think it would be a miracle at this point for a cruise to not have changes in their planned itinerary.  Just look at the Carnival Legend which was to leave from Baltimore today for a 14 day Panama Canal cruise.  Yesterday those booked on the cruise got word that the cruise would be shortened from 14 to 10 days and they would not be going to Costa Rica, Cartagena, or Panama.  They provided compensation but still this is the kind of thing that is happening right now.

ETA:  The itinerary changed to a greater extent than I thought - here's a link to a thread with the info - https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2822918-legend-cruise-19-from-14-to-10-days/

Edited by azbirdmom
  • Like 1

On 1/7/2022 at 8:33 PM, schmenge said:

Individual Roll Calls is your best bet to track this...

Cheers

On 1/7/2022 at 9:33 PM, schmenge said:

Well, here's another perspective. I just got off the Sky Princess yesterday. We were on an 11 night Southern Caribbean cruise with 6 ports. We made every port as scheduled. In fact, we were supposed to be tendered in Grenade, but due to another ship being denied docking in Grenada, we were able to dock instead. So, yes, you need to be flexible at this point, but what we are hearing are the changes and cancellations, but not when cruises go on as scheduled.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, mjmalino said:

Well, here's another perspective. I just got off the Sky Princess yesterday. We were on an 11 night Southern Caribbean cruise with 6 ports. We made every port as scheduled. In fact, we were supposed to be tendered in Grenade, but due to another ship being denied docking in Grenada, we were able to dock instead. So, yes, you need to be flexible at this point, but what we are hearing are the changes and cancellations, but not when cruises go on as scheduled.

It was a great cruise, wasn't it?!

On 1/8/2022 at 12:21 PM, milolii said:

Right now the issues seem to be in the Caribbean.  NCL and RCCL cancelled cruises this week due to sick or positive crew.  You still have a month, so things could improve by then, but most certainly hard to predict.  The concerning thing is the number of crew affected.  So far it appears Princess is doing better.  

This doesn't surprise me at all.  With Omicron, you have only 20% protection if you are doubled vaxxed and 75% protection if you are triple vaxxed.  I don't imagine that distancing is possible for the crew given the constraints of any cruise ship.   

1 hour ago, kmhkmb said:

This doesn't surprise me at all.  With Omicron, you have only 20% protection if you are doubled vaxxed and 75% protection if you are triple vaxxed.  I don't imagine that distancing is possible for the crew given the constraints of any cruise ship.   

At least Princess is taking extra measures, such as having them use a regular dining room instead of the crew mess, take their drinks back to quarters, etc. 🙂

• Like 1