Panama Canal transit QE

watsonbeau

Hello

Gutted as got Covid so my cruise on 14th now gone.  Looking maybe to do one on QE with Panama Canal in a few months time.  Anybody know which set of locks it uses for full transit  ?  The old or the new, or where I could look to find out please.  TIA.

Edited by watsonbeau

24 minutes ago, watsonbeau said:

Hello

Gutted as got Covid so my cruise on 14th now gone.  Looking maybe to do one on QE with Panama Canal in a few months time.  Anybody know which set of locks it uses for full transit  ?  The old or the new, or where I could look to find out please.  TIA.

Cunard will know as they have booked and paid for the transit in advance.

I'm guessing here -

The toll through the new locks is higher than through the older locks so I assume that any ship that's sized for the older locks would use them.

If one of your goals is to see the new locks up close there probably would be an excursion available that visits them.

Edited by Underwatr

1 hour ago, Underwatr said:

I'm guessing here -

The toll through the new locks is higher than through the older locks so I assume that any ship that's sized for the older locks would use them.

If one of your goals is to see the new locks up close there probably would be an excursion available that visits them.

I agree, it's almost certainly going to be the old locks. An excursion to see the new locks is a good idea. The visitor center has a good film about the construction, a cafe to get a snack and a local beer, and depending on timing you may get to see a megaship go through. I didn't realize it until I was at the observation point, but our bus drove over one of the locks to get there! 

2 minutes ago, watsonbeau said:

That's interesting.  Looking at Queen Elizabeth for a full transit.  Might just email Cunard to ask to confirm.

Thank you

Don't let the locks be your deciding factor! The transit takes all day and you get to see the technology of the locks plus the natural surroundings of the long stretch called "the cut." 

Oh that's interesting - we're booked on her return  through the Canal to Spain in July/August.  Are there actual excursions which allow you off the ship during the transit? I can't see anything in the my.cunard website - but many ports don't have  excursions yet so that's not definitive 

3 minutes ago, lissie said:

Oh that's interesting - we're booked on her return  through the Canal to Spain in July/August.  Are there actual excursions which allow you off the ship during the transit? I can't see anything in the my.cunard website - but many ports don't have  excursions yet so that's not definitive 

Excursions are offered if you have a port day before or after the transit in one of the cities at either the Atlantic or Pacific entrance. Otherwise, unfortunately, no.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, carlmm said:

Excursions are offered if you have a port day before or after the transit in one of the cities at either the Atlantic or Pacific entrance. Otherwise, unfortunately, no.

That's  a no then - that's OK I'm just excited about going through the canal (hopefully - everything crossed it happens) 

I understand that the old locks would continue to be used by cruise ships that fit. You can see the new locks as part of the transit (or visa versa). Little chance of an excursion as once you start moving through the canal you keep moving unless held in Gatun lake. The actual transit is better than an excursion! As said this last most of the day, in daylight hours.

Almost certainly the old locks. Here's a photo taken from the deck of the Queen Elizabeth to wet your appetite.  Note the coach crossing the road in front of the lock!!  The ship in front is the Columbus.  Incidentally the Captain admitted to scraping the side of the ship whilst the Columbus had a more obvious dent.  Clearance is very tight. 

Panama Canal 1.jpg

So long as I don't have to pay for a repaint job 🤣

Looking I think at QE Panama in May - which sails from Southampton, would then disembark San Francisco and fly back.

As its a long cruise 30 nights, I don't think the normal flying allowance of about two 20 - 23 kg suitcases would be enough as my husband does like his shoes and jackets - he will take more stuff than me !  

Does anyone know what happens if you have excess baggage for flying back - can you pay in advance for it ?  As not been in this situation before.  Probably anyone who has done a part World Cruise where you have sailed out but flown back to UK can advise ?  Thanks in advance.🌼

Edited by watsonbeau

Just one suggestion re: a canal transit -

Any full transit is definitely a bucket list filler. But due to the geography of the canal my opinion is that a transit from the Atlantic Ocean to the Pacific Ocean holds your interest through the day more than one in the opposite direction. 

On a Pacific to Atlantic transit you reach Gatun Lake around lunch time and compared to the morning's sights it can feel a little anticlimactic. In the opposite direction the interesting sights just keep coming.

The cruise I'm looking at is Caribbean site through to Pacific side so sounds promising.  Just worrying about the luggage issue !  Don't know if Cunard would use scheduled flight with option for XS baggage purchase as a charter probably wouldn't let you have extra.  Or maybe book my own from Vancouver to Humberside with KLM - not sure how easy from cruise port to get to the airport though as never been there. All a lot to think about.

43 minutes ago, watsonbeau said:

The cruise I'm looking at is Caribbean site through to Pacific side so sounds promising.  Just worrying about the luggage issue !  Don't know if Cunard would use scheduled flight with option for XS baggage purchase as a charter probably wouldn't let you have extra.  Or maybe book my own from Vancouver to Humberside with KLM - not sure how easy from cruise port to get to the airport though as never been there. All a lot to think about.

Plenty of taxis and the ride is about a half hour, more if there's traffic. 

2 hours ago, watsonbeau said:

As its a long cruise 30 nights, I don't think the normal flying allowance of about two 20 - 23 kg suitcases.

Does anyone know what happens if you have excess baggage for flying back - can you pay in advance for it ?  As not been in this situation before.  🌼

Have a look at the cost of a Premium Economy seat. Often midweek not much more than economy, and then you will have 2 cases pp. Club World  is wonderful if you fancy treating yourself!

Also from SFO,  BA fly the A380 which is good for the long overnight flight home (especially in the premium seats).

3 hours ago, watsonbeau said:

Really easy - the port is in the middle of town and if you are flying out of SFO its not that far. Just get an uber or a taxi. 

I don't see the issue with luggage? We did a 14 day cruise on QE with one large bag between us. It self-destructed because we put too much wine in it so I'm just replaced  with a 100l trolley bag plus my carry on sized pack which we may check for weight. You need no more luggage for a 36 day  cruise than you need for a week. In fact you need less - as men no longer need jackets on smart casual nights and there are far fewer gala nights - my partner will just need one dark suit and no extra jackets plus about 5 business shirts.  One pair of dark shoes he's done for evenings. 

As you are flying at the end of the trip you can also shed unnecessary weight like cosmetics, old clothes etc 

Edited by lissie

6 hours ago, babs135 said:

Almost certainly the old locks. Here's a photo taken from the deck of the Queen Elizabeth to wet your appetite.  Note the coach crossing the road in front of the lock!!  The ship in front is the Columbus.  Incidentally the Captain admitted to scraping the side of the ship whilst the Columbus had a more obvious dent.  Clearance is very tight. 

Panama Canal 1.jpg

Looks amazing - the one thing with QE I didn't think she had any good forward facing decks - do you remember where you took the photo from? 

1 hour ago, lissie said:

Looks amazing - the one thing with QE I didn't think she had any good forward facing decks - do you remember where you took the photo from? 

Trying to remember !!!  It could have been deck 5.  What I can say is that it was one that is not usually open to passengers as it  is used by the crew.  

• Like 1