Chilworth Manor Hotel Pre Cruise

tring

18 hours ago, tring said:

We took my cousins who live in Southampton to the Wetherspoons there for a lunch a couple of years back.  They then took us on to a posh bar in The Harbour Hotel overlooking a marina area.   They somewhat upscaled us that day, but was a nice Wetherspoons as well and quite quiet as we arrived about 2pm.

Had not thought of stopping off there, but an option to consider if we need to, thanks.

I looked at that harbour hotel - looks great but was really expensive when I checked - nearly £200 for 1 night. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Fionboard said:

Just paid 177quid for cruise package at Holiday Inn Southampton in March. It is good value.

Can I ask how many nights your cruise is for and if you have breakfast included in the deal?  We tend to do longer cruises, even our May one is for 16 nights and we have some excellent parking prices with P4C for a couple of cruises.  Also did you book directly or through an agent like hol extras?

We do like that hotel though, as long as we do not get stuck in a lift.

Edited by tring

1 hour ago, tring said:

I agree, though can't quite quantify why I like it, apart from the views which are terrific from the river view rooms (or whatever they call them). The staff are lovely, the breakfast is ok, the lifts are tiny (and not entirely reliable) but it's one of those places where I feel (felt! - I last stayed there almost exactly 3 years ago) comfortable.

• Like 2

We looked at the price of Holiday Inn for our cruise in March in their own website and was £183 which included double room/breakfast/15 days parking and transfers to and from the cruise terminal for £183 which was good value but have worries about leaving car in an insecure hotel car park with no security for the duration of my cruise.

1 hour ago, majortom10 said:

We looked at the price of Holiday Inn for our cruise in March in their own website and was £183 which included double room/breakfast/15 days parking and transfers to and from the cruise terminal for £183 which was good value but have worries about leaving car in an insecure hotel car park with no security for the duration of my cruise.

I have used the Holiday Inn several times for park and stay and had no problems. Not stayed for a couple of years but last time I was there they had a ticket-operated barrier and (I think) CCTV in the car park.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, majortom10 said:

We had left our car there a few years back and not sure if they had a barrier or CCTV, though they may well have had.  The car park is very open and visible from both the hotel and around (one side is a main road), so would not say it was in a vulnerable location.  May depend what sort of car you have though - our ten year old Auris, which we have at present, is not exactly likely to go anywhere, though it is a dam good car with low mileage which have owned from new and have had serviced regularly.

Edited by tring

I know this has already been mentioned, but The Harbour Hotel is excellent. We have stayed there twice before cruises. Yes it's a little bit more money, but it is a wonderful hotel, and it's was lovely to wake up when we wanted and have a leisurely breakfast before being taken, by their own inhouse car, to the terminal building.

Their HarBar restaurant and bar on the 6th floor is extremely good.  It has an outside terrace area that has wonderful views of any ship docked in the Ocean Terminal.  We were able to see Iona the day and night before we joined her on her Maiden Voyage. We had lunch in the HarBar both times, and dinner in the main restaurant downstairs called The Jetty - both were wonderful. Their cocktails are also extremely good!

• Thanks 1

On 1/10/2022 at 5:20 PM, tring said:

Can I ask how many nights your cruise is for and if you have breakfast included in the deal?  We tend to do longer cruises, even our May one is for 16 nights and we have some excellent parking prices with P4C for a couple of cruises.  Also did you book directly or through an agent like hol extras?

If you need more than 15 nights parking you just pay for the extra nights but could be expensive for a long cruise. Car park feels very open and safe. Always book direct thru the hotel website. Breakfast very good.

• Thanks 1

We've just booked Holiday Inn, Herbert Drive for our June cruise. The price has reduced slightly since Christmas, but if you book now you don't have to pay until check in and cancellable until the week before.It was still a little bit more than we had hoped for but with 5 big ships in that day, rooms might be of a premium. Better safe than sorry. It worked out about the same price for a separate hotel and port parking, give or take £10/20.I choose convenience  and location over a few pounds. 

2 hours ago, ohnonotmeagain said:

We've just booked Holiday Inn, Herbert Drive for our June cruise. The price has reduced slightly since Christmas, but if you book now you don't have to pay until check in and cancellable until the week before.It was still a little bit more than we had hoped for but with 5 big ships in that day, rooms might be of a premium. Better safe than sorry. It worked out about the same price for a separate hotel and port parking, give or take £10/20.I choose convenience  and location over a few pounds. 

We only live an hour or so from Southampton, but often add a few nights on before the cruise. Their are some nice hotels in the New forest for a few nights.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fionboard said:

If you need more than 15 nights parking you just pay for the extra nights but could be expensive for a long cruise. Car park feels very open and safe. Always book direct thru the hotel website. Breakfast very good.

Thanks for the reply.

We have parked at Hol Inn, Herbert Walker Avenue previously.  We had often stayed there on loyalty points, then if we had the car with us, paid for the cruise nights on the extra nights price, which was a good deal, (they did not charge for nights you stayed in the hotel at that time).

The extra night price has risen considerably over the last few years though.  I am fairly sure the price about four years ago was £10 per night, yet that rose very quickly to £15 per night, which I think it is at present.  It may also vary with time of year of course.  The arrangements we have made for future cruises are much better for us at present for a number of reasons, but we will consider staying there again if it is right for us at the time. 

It is a good place to stay if going on a cruise when you will be flying back and travel down by train because of the central location.  We have then had our largest case transported down by courier.

3 hours ago, LynnForestgate said:

britboys, did you feel safe there, in the Holiday Inn ?

several mixed messages on this and other forums about it.

We have used the holiday Inn a few times and felt perfectly safe

On 1/12/2022 at 2:25 PM, LynnForestgate said:

britboys, did you feel safe there, in the Holiday Inn ?

several mixed messages on this and other forums about it.

Yes, completely safe. Have used it on a number of occasions over many years both before and since my partner died. It's really close to the Premier Inn West Quay, which is adjacent to the newest development at West Quay, which has a number of restaurants in it and a cinema. A lone female might feel more vulnerable walking across to it however but that would be the same for the Leonardo Harbour Hotel immediately the other side of the road.

I also ought to say that it was probably 2017 when I last stayed there as I did fly-cruises in 2018 and 2019 (and haven't cruised since then).