Backup plan for covid test

We are doing the same thing regarding testing for our Jan 29th cruise.  We will make an appointment for testing before we sail but also ordered the proctored binax now tests through optum to have in case something goes awry.  Figured if we don't need to use it for this one we have a couple others we can use it for. 

• Like 1

I scheduled our rapid antigen tests at CVS 2 days before cruise and at Walgreens 1 day before cruise. If I get the first test results back soon enough, will cancel the 2nd appointment. Good to have a backup plan!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SilkySal said:

I scheduled our rapid antigen tests at CVS 2 days before cruise and at Walgreens 1 day before cruise. If I get the first test results back soon enough, will cancel the 2nd appointment. Good to have a backup plan!

Thanks for taking up 2 time slots. No wonder everyone else is having trouble getting an appointment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, audome78 said:

Thanks for taking up 2 time slots. No wonder everyone else is having trouble getting an appointment.

I only made both appointments in case the first one is cancelled by CVS. Once I take the test from CVS, we will cancel the appointments for the next day at Walgreens. There will be plenty of time for others to take those time slots. You're welcome.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, audome78 said:

3 minutes ago, SilkySal said:

I only made both appointments in case the first one is cancelled by CVS. Once I take the test from CVS, we will cancel the appointments for the next day at Walgreens. There will be plenty of time for others to take those time slots. You're welcome.

We did the same and glad we did.  Showed up for our 1st appt and the pharmacist had called in sick so needed the 2nd one.  Wasn't for a cruise but needed results at a certain time and would have been SOL without the 2nd one.  Will probably do home proctored test for cruise so we are on our own timetable in the future, will cost us but won't have the uncertainty.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, SilkySal said:

I agree with the Audome78.  You are taking up extra spaces that right now are very limited.  Respectfully, your attempt to justify your actions does not really make much sense.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Krazcruiser said:

I'm not sure which one it is, it's offered while making an appointment at walgreens

ID Now at Walgreens is a NAAT test. It is more sensitive than the rapid antigen tests.  It is acceptable for boarding.  Our results were back in less than an hour,

2 hours ago, Sam.Seattle said:

I agree with the Audome78.  You are taking up extra spaces that right now are very limited.  Respectfully, your attempt to justify your actions does not really make much sense.

I think the opposite - back up appointment makes ton of sense.

I just read an article about how the traveler had to cancel the expensive and long planned trip because her test appointment she made didn't go through: her and ton of other people showed up for their appointments, but the test site appeared to be closed, and nobody was there to do their tests.

She was scrambling then trying to do the test as she had to do PCR - that was the requirement of the country she was going to. And she didn't make it. 

"You will never guess what I encountered when I arrived at my preflight PCR test appointment: nothing. There was nothing and nobody there. Well, technically there were also about 30 other confused denizens of my town with appointments of their own milling about the parking lot of the supposed testing site. (I would call myself unlucky, but my sister Monica encountered a similar kind of nothingness elsewhere in Northern California during the same week. Maybe it’s genetic.)"

Here is the full article:

https://thepointsguy.com/news/sfo-failed-airport-covid-testing-experience/

Edited by JoieNsk
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, JoieNsk said:

If the first appointment works, second appointment is getting cancelled. And it is again available to whoever needs it. No problem.

But how quickly are these canceled appointments put back in the system for someone else to book online?  When we went for our tests several weeks ago, the pharmacy tech thanked us for showing up!  I asked her to elaborate and she said that 5 had canceled that morning with minimum notice and at least 3 others were no-shows; thus 8 slots someone else could have booked as appts were hard to find!

13 minutes ago, long4acruise said:

But how quickly are these canceled appointments put back in the system for someone else to book online?  When we went for our tests several weeks ago, the pharmacy tech thanked us for showing up!  I asked her to elaborate and she said that 5 had canceled that morning with minimum notice and at least 3 others were no-shows; thus 8 slots someone else could have booked as appts were hard to find!

At least with Walgreens they go to the system right away. As when I was looking to schedule my appointment, I first scheduled one with Walgreens. Then I found more reliable option with different organization - as Walgreens was not lightning fast before, and probably even less so nowadays. Once I booked another one, I cancelled the Walgreens one. I was looking also for Rapid test, so I checked Walgreens again - as still was not sure PCR would be ready on time for the cruise.  I noticed "my" appointment was back already, as it was the only one available in our location.

I am sorry but I am not going to take any risks, and better have a back up appointment, than end up with no test ready for the cruise.

I am sure when people look for appointment - they check availability not once, at least that's what I do. So somebody can book at the last moment - if they are looking.

Edited by JoieNsk
  • Like 2

Walgreens opens the dates for test appointments 7 days in advance.

I checked that before scheduling. And I made sure I went on their web-site at 12.30 am on January 3d to make my appointment on January 10th. Even though I needed to get up for work at 4 am already. There was any possible time available. 

I need the appointment in the morning, as I have a flight on the same day in the afternoon.

So if people plan accordingly, the appointments are available, and bookable. Just don't leave it for the last moment in those days. 

Edited by JoieNsk
  • Like 1