On Edge Now 1/9-16 Observations

miaminative0853

Today is the first morning on Edge. Havent gotten reliable numbers of passengers on board but it feels like well below 40% occupancy. If I had to guess I'd say 33%. In a suite, so had lunch in Luminae after embarkation and it was 60% or so. Last night they were offering 30% off to suite guests in specialty. Went to Fine Cut Steak about 7:45 with no rez, no problem. Restaurant was maybe 20% filled. So far everything appears to be open. Service has been excellent. Pros and cons to being on a ship this empty, with biggest pro of course being easy access to everything; biggest negative so far is ship lacks the usual energy. So far all guests except a foursome of 20-somethings wearing masks. Any questions, let me know.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Thank you very much for sharing!

I’ll be following. I’m considering the 1/30 Edge sailing, so gathering as much current info on the onboard experience as I can.

If you have time as your cruise goes along, would you mind sharing your experience of how crowded the Retreat Lounge and Retreat pool deck tend to be and how easy/difficult it is to social distance there?

Thanks again and enjoy your cruise! 

1 hour ago, GenerationX said:

Thank you very much for sharing!

I’ll be following. I’m considering the 1/30 Edge sailing, so gathering as much current info on the onboard experience as I can.

If you have time as your cruise goes along, would you mind sharing your experience of how crowded the Retreat Lounge and Retreat pool deck tend to be and how easy/difficult it is to social distance there?

Thanks again and enjoy your cruise! 

We were second couple on the Retreat Deck at 8:30 am. By noon it was very crowded at the front of the deck. Empty at the back. W have been in Retreat on Edge pre-COVID. I'd say very little difference in terms of social distancing but we fell fairly comfortable. I'm guessing the suites are at much great capacity than the balance of the ship. We heard this morning 850 passengers total, which fits with my guessimate of 33% when we got on. Definitely higher in suites.

• Thanks 2

Further update: I walked from the Retreat to the main pool. That deck is maybe 1/3 occupied. Weird to see it so empty. (Lounge savers are endangered species on this cruise! Empty loungers everywhere!). Ocean Cafe at 1:00 pm busy but maybe half usual. My sense is if you want to social distance and take reasonable precautions it is very easy to do. So far so good. Will update further if anyone interested.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Susanb10567 said:

We are booked on the 2/6 sailing also …following along..I change my mind constantly whether or not we will sail

We did the same. I told others: I've been riding the fence so long my butt is sore!. But we took the plung and so far so good. We shall see what the next 6 days holds.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Please share the Luminae experience regarding occupancy as well as the times you dine. We expect suites will be closer to full than the remainder of the ship and we'd prefer not to be dining as close as the two tops normally are.  Thanks for taking the time during your cruise to help others. We are booked for 2/13.

1 hour ago, Susanb10567 said:

We are booked on the 2/6 sailing also …following along..I change my mind constantly whether or not we will sail

I'm having mixed feelings but my wife has said she's going. Looks like I'll be on The Edge then 😁

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

40 minutes ago, Calton said:

I'm having mixed feelings but my wife has said she's going. Looks like I'll be on The Edge then 😁

You’re a good husband! I’ve had my eye on the 1/30 sailing for a couple of months and my husband is having reservations now thanks to the omicron situation.  I told him I respect his risk tolerance but the cold winter is making me miserable and if I decide to take the risk and sail, I’m doing so with or without him.  His response: “Very well my love, just let me know when I have to take you to the airport.” 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, miaminative0853 said:

We were second couple on the Retreat Deck at 8:30 am. By noon it was very crowded at the front of the deck. Empty at the back. W have been in Retreat on Edge pre-COVID. I'd say very little difference in terms of social distancing but we fell fairly comfortable. I'm guessing the suites are at much great capacity than the balance of the ship. We heard this morning 850 passengers total, which fits with my guessimate of 33% when we got on. Definitely higher in suites.

Thank you again, this is very helpful. I suspected this might be the case. I was on Summit in October in a sky suite and while the ship was less than half full the Retreat was sold out and Luminae was often packed.

Please do keep the updates coming as you have time between relaxing and having fun.  Bon voyage!

16 minutes ago, GenerationX said:

You’re a good husband! I’ve had my eye on the 1/30 sailing for a couple of months and my husband is having reservations now thanks to the omicron situation.  I told him I respect his risk tolerance but the cold winter is making me miserable and if I decide to take the risk and sail, I’m doing so with or without him.  His response: “Very well my love, just let me know when I have to take you to the airport.” 😂

I see you have him well trained 😂

• Haha 1

We currently on Oceania , disembarking on the 14th and boarding the Edge on the 16th. 

Currently we have 690 passengers out of a capacity of 1250. The 850 number reported for the Edge this week is unbelievable.  Hoping for a low but not too low passenger count for the 1/16 sailing. 

Edited by molemaui
  • Like 1

We were on the Edge the last week of October.  At that time we had 900 passengers--pretty similar to the number this week.  Luminae was packed every night.  We actually went to Blu to eat one night and had great food and service, and it was pretty empty.  Also, the pool and hot tub in the Retreat was always occupied, so we went out to the "champagne glass" hot tubs to relax.  So if you are looking to social distance, there are options.  We had such a good time on the Edge in October, we are booked again for February 27th.  It looks like the suites are close to being fully booked, so we will use our options once again!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, miaminative0853 said:

I'm on the second week of a B2B in the retreat and agree with this. Last week, the Retreat was slightly more crowded and there were a handful that hogged the pool. This week, people in the retreat seem better about wearing masks when appropriate. 

• Thanks 1

We too had Edge suites last Aug, Oct & Nov.  The ship was empty, but suite areas were full.  Due to sail on the Apex on 1/22 & 1/29.  Went with a suite for the first leg and an IV the following.  Figured it would be easy to social distance and save some specialty restaurants until the second leg.  I know I may be in the minority, but given the current situation, I'd save a few bucks and not book a suite.  Some of the great perks are not as valuable right now.  Of course, to each their own.

• Like 2