Are jeans appropriate in the MDR?

brwneyedgirl72

5 hours ago, MrsFloody said:

Yes of course. Nothing ripped or holey of course, but clean jeans and a dressy top looks perfectly nice.  (I have a wee suspicion that a few 'older' peeps might not agree with me, but seeing as no-one has yet been banned from a cruise ship for wearing them, I think we can safely say it is ok 😄 )

On the cruise we just got off of a couple several nights throughout the cruise wore overalls in Club Class....so I guess anything flies as far as Princess is concerned.....

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, 4x4bob said:

What was really noticeable about the ladies attire was the fact that she had cut out both of the rear pockets and her tail assembly was on display.

At the point the wife clunked me on the side of the head and asked what was I looking at?  I explained that I was attempting to determine if her attire was within the bounds of the dress code.  Clunk again.  

Bob

No wonder you got a slap Bob, someone has got a hold of the photo you took of this lady at the time and posted on here.

Regards John

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, PrincessLuver said:

On the cruise we just got off of a couple several nights throughout the cruise wore overalls in Club Class....so I guess anything flies as far as Princess is concerned.....

I have never seen any jeans turned away no matter how bad looking except those with holes. I've even seen those carpenter jeans with suspenders once.

• Like 1

There is no doubt that formal nights, gala nights or whatever the cruise line might name nights of this genre they are universally perceived as special.  Jeans are perceived by British people as workwear, typically for rough dirty work and therefore inappropriate for formal attire.  We also know they are French in origin as revealed by the name denim, de Nime similarly corduroy or Cord du Roy are also French and get a similar amount of enthusiasm due to this. I think Americans, whilst acknowledging them as workwear in early years perceive them more in the context of pop culture, Woodstock, Forever in Blue Jeans, Neil Diamond etc. and they have a different cache.  Younger Brits will fall into this latter category of thinking and want to wear smarter tailored jeans for these nights. Whatever, all people will find these night special because they have all gone out of their way to make their own statement with what they wear.

Regards John

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

I have never seen any jeans turned away no matter how bad looking.

Presumably that is the thinking ladies have with the back pockets area removed you cant see the problem as they approach. What the Maitre'd needs is a rear view mirror near the entrance if you know what I mean.

Regards John

Edited by john watson
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

amen.

I've been home for 2 years and have been wearing exclusively yoga pants, sweatpants, pjs, and t-shirts. Wearing jeans seems super dressy to me now, lol.

But, to be honest, even pre-pandemic people around here didn't bother wearing even anything as "fancy" as jeans to local places like Longhorn and Olive Garden. I've seen many people in sweats and tracksuits there.

People actually eat at those places?

1 hour ago, PrincessLuver said:

Engineering officers perhaps? /s

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, MissP22 said:

I have never seen any jeans turned away no matter how bad looking except those with holes. I've even seen those carpenter jeans with suspenders once.

A little historical fashion note. Suspenders, or braces as they are called in many parts of the English speaking world, were the standard method of holding up trousers, etc. until around about the 1st World War when a vast number of men entered the military on all sides and where issued with belts and suspenders/braces to hold up their military issue trousers. The belts served double duty as something to hang bits of kit off of. After that sad event belts came into common use.

Edited by brisalta

2 minutes ago, brisalta said:

A little historical fashion note. Suspenders, or braces as they are called in many parts of the English speaking world, were the standard method of holding up trousers, etc. 

Can you say a few words about suspenders in relation to ladies.  I am sure someone will follow after you with photos.

Thanks John

Just now, john watson said:

Can you say a few words about suspenders in relation to ladies.  I am sure someone will follow after you with photos.

Thanks John

LOL Depends which variety of English usage...

Edited by brisalta

23 hours ago, Phantom of the Seas said:

Here we go...the simply answer is NO!

Dress Code:

There are two recommendations for evenings and dinners:

Smart casual:

Dress the same way you would do for a visit to a restaurant at home. Skirts, dresses or “trousers” with t-shirt or blouse for ladies, “trousers “ and shirt or polo shirt for gentlemen. Shorts and swimwear are not allowed in restaurant.

*jeans are not “trousers”....call me “old school”...

This is a little ambiguous because while jeans may not be "trousers" they are commonly worn to restaurants at home (at least in the large metropolitan area I'm from).  In any case, you will see lots of jeans in the main dining room on non-formal nights and even some on formal nights.

On 1/10/2022 at 3:09 PM, Phantom of the Seas said:

Here we go...the simply answer is NO!

Dress Code:

There are two recommendations for evenings and dinners:

Smart casual:

Dress the same way you would do for a visit to a restaurant at home. Skirts, dresses or “trousers” with t-shirt or blouse for ladies, “trousers “ and shirt or polo shirt for gentlemen. Shorts and swimwear are not allowed in restaurant.

*jeans are not “trousers”....call me “old school”...

I’ve never really payed much attention to what others are wearing in the MDR, I’m too busy enjoying my vacation although personally I’m ok with jeans in the MDR & have worn them there.. on formal night I wear dress pants (slacks) by choice.

But, by definition jeans would be considered trousers. 

trou·sers
/ˈtrouzərz/
noun

an outer garment covering the body from the waist to the ankles, with a separate part for each leg.”

• Like 5

55 minutes ago, Aliens_300c said:

I’ve never really payed much attention to what others are wearing in the MDR, I’m too busy enjoying my vacation although personally I’m ok with jeans in the MDR & have worn them there.. on formal night I wear dress pants (slacks) by choice.

But, by definition jeans would be considered trousers. 

trou·sers
/ˈtrouzərz/
noun

an outer garment covering the body from the waist to the ankles, with a separate part for each leg.”

Jeans, as oppose to genes, are a subset of trousers and were designed for dirty, strenuous work.

Where I live you will see shorts worn to nice restaurants. When it's 110° F most folks don't really want to wear long pants. Nice shorts, a Tommy Bahama shirt, and Birkenstock sandals suffice at those times.

On board I always change to black pants (such as Dockers) and a solid color Tommy (Black, Dark Blue, or White), and black shoes around 5:30 - 6:00. I had some clod get disgusted with my attire one night - not a formal night - because I wore a floral Tommy Bahama to dinner. I have no problem with Aloha shirts in MDR but don't wear them on Formal Nights. I have always worn a suit to dinner those nights but may well do away with the jacket in the future. I do always see a lot of folks dressed in suits or a tux.

People are going to wear what they want. I don't believe anybody will have their opinion changed by a post here on CC.  I do really wish people would take of their dang hat when dining. I hate hats worn in restaurants.

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, 2 cruises a year said:

Following your line of thought, "Thinking you might be much happier on Royal Caribbean or Carnival ".

Nope. Perfectly happy in my jeans and Hawaiian shirts in the MDR for formal and non-formal nights right here on Princess, thank you very much.  Been doing exactly that for years now and have no intention of changing because the fashion police have a wedgie over such abhorrent behavior. 

In fact, I’m tired from walking around Hilo all day today. Thinking shorts and a collared shirt will fit the bill in the MDR just fine tonight. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Bgwest said:

Nope. Perfectly happy in my jeans and Hawaiian shirts in the MDR for formal and non-formal nights right here on Princess, thank you very much.  Been doing exactly that for years now and have no intention of changing because the fashion police have a wedgie over such abhorrent behavior. 

In fact, I’m tired from walking around Hilo all day today. Thinking shorts and a collared shirt will fit the bill in the MDR just fine tonight. 

Jeans and Hawaiian shirts for me on non-formal nights for sure!  All my non-dressy shirts are made by my wife, so I like showing them off.  

• Like 1