Drink Package

excited balcony

When we did our first cruise 2 years ago  I suppose for us upgrading was about being on holiday and  just being able to order what we wanted when we wanted it - trying the different Martinis & cocktails at the different bars - and different wines with dinner that we wouldn't normally have, without worrying about costs. I am sure  you have a great time whatever you decide to get. Cheers 🍹

16 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

IF you like premium liquors, sparkling waters, etc..well worth the upgrade.  

IF you like a Martini or 3 daily at the Martini Bar...by all means, upgrade.

I like Hendricks Gin and the top shelf BOURBONS...Wife the same.  We always upgrade at the Sunset Bar, we spend a lot of time there, and the Bartenders get a cut of the upgrade, at least that's what we've been told, they sure do act like it.  

What are the top shelf bourbons?  I only know about Makers Mark.

35 minutes ago, zitsky said:

What are the top shelf bourbons?  I only know about Makers Mark.

Jack Daniel's Single Barrel, Woodford Reserve, Bulleit, I think I saw Four Roses Yellow Label on a ship.

Most if not all of the Rye whiskey is premium package only (Bulleit Rye and Rittenhouse). They also have some of the Japanese whiskeys which are fun to try if you like bourbon! 

49 minutes ago, mackjack9139 said:

Jack Daniel's Single Barrel, Woodford Reserve, Bulleit, I think I saw Four Roses Yellow Label on a ship.

Most if not all of the Rye whiskey is premium package only (Bulleit Rye and Rittenhouse). They also have some of the Japanese whiskeys which are fun to try if you like bourbon! 

I did hear about Woodford over on Flyertalk, I think.  I bought a Japanese whisky recently but I haven’t tried it.   Yamazaki I think it is.  

Just now, zitsky said:

I did hear about Woodford over on Flyertalk, I think.  I bought a Japanese whisky recently but I haven’t tried it.   Yamazaki I think it is.  

Yamazaki is nice.  On my shelf I have both a Yamazaki and a Hibiki.  both are single  malts so not bourbons. 

5 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

Yamazaki is nice.  On my shelf I have both a Yamazaki and a Hibiki.  both are single  malts so not bourbons. 

I was reading about Yamazaki 13 Sherry cask.  Not sure what I have.  Wondering if that 13 would be like Macallan.

3 hours ago, mackjack9139 said:

On the cruise we are planning on the Summit the premium over classic is $12/day plus tips.

Will this likely be the same on the ship?  Will I be able to purchase it after the first day, is it prorated?

For us I think we are OK with the Classic for cocktails. We can't tell the difference between the basic alcohols and top-shelf in mixed drinks and I typically don't drink whiskey straight while on a cruise.

However, we sometimes like a nicer wine with dinner however, not sure if we can make the judgement on that until we are on the ship to see if it makes sense for use to buy the upgrade or just pay as you go.

One thing I just noticed is smoothies (non-alcoholic) are included with premium and not classic, another consideration.

FYI, technically Jack Daniels is a Tennessee sipping whiskey, not a Bourbon.  Personally, I like Gentleman Jack over most Bourbons, personal taste not saying one is better than the other.

1 minute ago, LB_NJ said:

On the cruise we are planning on the Summit the premium over classic is $12/day plus tips.

Will this likely be the same on the ship?  Will I be able to purchase it after the first day, is it prorated?

For us I think we are OK with the Classic for cocktails. We can't tell the difference between the basic alcohols and top-shelf in mixed drinks and I typically don't drink whiskey straight while on a cruise.

However, we sometimes like a nicer wine with dinner however, not sure if we can make the judgement on that until we are on the ship to see if it makes sense for use to buy the upgrade or just pay as you go.

One thing I just noticed is smoothies (non-alcoholic) are included with premium and not classic, another consideration.

FYI, technically Jack Daniels is a Tennessee sipping whiskey, not a Bourbon.  Personally, I like Gentleman Jack over most Bourbons, personal taste not saying one is better than the other.

I would stick with classic.  If you order a nice wine, you can pay the difference.

10 minutes ago, LB_NJ said:

Yes, it can be prorated…

14 hours ago, Cruiseincan said:

Do you get to have cappuccino at cafe al bacio with just the included drink package or is that still pay extra? Thats my dilemma with upgrading because we love to sit and have tea/cakes/cappacino there...

Cappuccino is covered by the included Classic package.