Remembering someone at sea

chloe kitty

One of our cruise group passed away.  We sprinkled her ashes.  A  few years later, the husband passed, and we scattered his ashes. 

In both instances, my group just did it.  We would rather ask forgiveness than risk asking for permission and possibly being turned down.

1 hour ago, Mike45LC said:

One of our cruise group passed away.  We sprinkled her ashes.  A  few years later, the husband passed, and we scattered his ashes. 

In both instances, my group just did it.  We would rather ask forgiveness than risk asking for permission and possibly being turned down.

That sounds like a great way to get kicked off the ship in the next port. Cruise lines - including Princess - allow scattering of ashes but there are rules to be followed. My wife and I have considered doing this but we would definitely do so with the cooperation of the cruise line.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

The CC article explains that ashes are generally not scattered at sea but are put in a biodegradable container which is thrown overboard.

Do I need a special container for the ashes?

While the word "scattering" evokes a particular image, cremated remains buried at sea from a cruise ship will generally be dropped into the sea in a container. The container, or urn, should be biodegradable and sealed with nontoxic glue.

There are a variety of containers that are made specifically for this purpose, including some made from salt, sand or paper. Some are designed to sink and slowly dissolve to disperse the ashes once the container settles on the seafloor. Others are designed to float on the surface before slowly dissolving or sinking. These containers can be purchased online or through your crematorium or funeral home.

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

my wife and I scattered our daughters ashes at sea on Grand Princess last Oct.  We bought a biodegradable small urn from our funeral home. The urn was maybe the size of a three inch vile.  

• Like 1

Please do not do this without following Princess policies. And PLEASE don't just scatter the ashes, but use a biodegradable container.  The following link is to a previous thread that discusses interment at sea on Princess, including the email address you will need.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2782593-spreading-ashes-at-sea/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Also keep in mind if traveling via plane, there are specifics for taking cremains.  If I remember correctly,  it was death certificate and cremation certificate.  Most airlines require they be transported in carry on baggage.  Alert tsa as you go through security.  Cremains can be xrayed but not opened by tsa. So the biodegradable container is a must.  If it can’t be seen thru the X-ray, like in a metal urn, they are not likely to let you thru. They were very respectful when we went through.  The princess service was very easy to arrange with no charge.  No reason to not alert them and use their service.

• Like 1

I scattered (tossed overboard in a biodegradable urn/box thing) my mother's ashes from the Emerald Princess. As others have suggested, contact Princess to arrange this. It's quite painless, and Princess does quite a bit to steward the process. In my case, the captain showed and said some words for my mother.

Do not try to do this rouge.

In terns of flying with the ashes, we carried them in the box and plastic bag they came in and transferred them to the biodegradable urn/box thing on the ship. The biodegradable box/urn thing is held together by simply folding and tucking. Loose ashes in there will fall out all over the place during air travel.

You can purchase a biodegradable urn/box thing from Amazon and elsewhere. Princess doesn't provide this.

A day or two after the event, the ship will provide you with a document indicating that the ashes were scattered, along with the ship's nam, position (lat/long), and date/time the event took place.

This is my mother's "virtual headstone". It's a really sweet thing to do.

1203115716_MomAshesLocation.thumb.png.a2c7e1df311689cb665cbdbcb8a09909.png

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, mina said:

Also keep in mind if traveling via plane, there are specifics for taking cremains.  If I remember correctly,  it was death certificate and cremation certificate.  Most airlines require they be transported in carry on baggage.  Alert tsa as you go through security.  Cremains can be xrayed but not opened by tsa. 

Port everglades security wanted to open it and look.

It finally took a supervisor reading the princess acceptance on my phone.

We did it 'officially' on the ship.

The 'environmental' officer came and supervised.

The ashes were in a biodegradeable container.   Inside a PLASTIC BAG.

Sheesh.

I couldn’t do this. When I got my wife back and looked in that nice box at the plastic bag I immediately closed it up never to be touched again. I do take her everywhere I go every day in my heart though. That’s nice that you all have the strength to do this. ❤️

• Like 5

I appreciate all the information.  I asked this question because my husband had two loves.  One was cruising, and the other was Hawaii.  His urn is an art piece of Hawaii, and I thought a small amount would be scattered at sea.  I do want to do this correctly, and hope there would be something said by the Captain or another officer.  Again, thank you.

• Like 1

On 1/14/2022 at 1:18 AM, Astro Flyer said:

I found a CC article about general conditions for scattering ashes at sea.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=3462

Also a Princess board discussion from last year with information including an email address:

ashesrequest@princesscruises.com

Great info.  Thank you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chloe kitty said:

I appreciate all the information.  I asked this question because my husband had two loves.  One was cruising, and the other was Hawaii.  His urn is an art piece of Hawaii, and I thought a small amount would be scattered at sea.  I do want to do this correctly, and hope there would be something said by the Captain or another officer.  Again, 💋

Edited by CruzDayz
I can only speak for myself. Good for you for doing this.
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, chloe kitty said:

I do want to do this correctly, and hope there would be something said by the Captain or another officer.

This would be totally up to the Captain, but typically the Environmental Officer (to ensure that nothing that is prohibited goes over the side) will take your party to the aft mooring deck, and retreat to a discrete distance to allow you a private and personal moment.  You typically will get a certificate from the Captain with the coordinates of the ceremony.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, chloe kitty said:

Thank you.

This topic kind of hit me but I'm going into Monday starting out fresh doing my beach walks and my yard. Trying hard to get my belly down so I can go cruising. 🙂 Good luck to you and never give up. I read somewhere that tomorrow is the first day of the rest of your life. 

• Like 1