Disembarking in New York for the First Time

Tantsee

as united airlines, the primary carrier at EWR, relentlessly reminds us in its advertising... newark is indeed the closest and quickest airport to and from midtown west. that is absolutely true. but which airport you choose is largely dictated by your airline preference and which slots it has acquired at which airport. irrespective of the actual distance, there should be few problems or delays traveling to any of the three major airports at 9 or 10 AM, which is when most people will be in transit following a cruise.

Sorry the original poster decided to cancel their cruise,  it just wanted to say THANKS  to all the people who provided her with responses and suggestions.  Great information for me and saved me some research time on where ship will dock, transport options within city and to airport, etc.  
My husband and I have an NCL TA cruise booked that will end in NYC this coming November (haven’t cruised in over 10 years).  It includes the “second person flys free” offer so don’t have much control over flights, but will do  a couple nights in NYC to enjoy the city before flying home.  Haven’t booked hotel yet (hoping to find some good deals) and trying to decide what area to stay in that would be best for a 2 day stay. 
Now just crossing fingers that the weather is nice while we are there…rain would out a damper on plans but will be figuring out some indoor stuff to do just in case!

Cruiseandgamble and UKstages - what are the typical “ surcharges” that would be added to quoted Uber or taxi fares?  Are they time of day dictated? Tolls?  Just trying to figure what transportation costs to airports from lower Manhattan might be and don’t know how much potential surcharges are.

Also thinking if NCL arranged flight departs from JFK or LaGuardia, may  do taxi or Uber to Penn Station  and then LIRR and AirTrain which would be a fun adventure.   But with having to pay fares for 2 people, perhaps just Uber/taxi from the city to the airport (one fare) could be cheaper or about the same cost.

2 hours ago, Thunderbird19 said:

Cruiseandgamble and UKstages - what are the typical “ surcharges” that would be added to quoted Uber or taxi fares?  Are they time of day dictated? Tolls?  Just trying to figure what transportation costs to airports from lower Manhattan might be and don’t know how much potential surcharges are.

Also thinking if NCL arranged flight departs from JFK or LaGuardia, may  do taxi or Uber to Penn Station  and then LIRR and AirTrain which would be a fun adventure.   But with having to pay fares for 2 people, perhaps just Uber/taxi from the city to the airport (one fare) could be cheaper or about the same cost.

Here's my Uber receipt:

image.thumb.png.954355d74a7312a478d1f4414294d6c9.png

On 1/19/2022 at 7:12 AM, jlseymour3 said:

New York is one of the world's great cities, though I understand why you'd be nervous if you haven't spent much time in large cities - it can be intimidating.  I fell in love with the energy and pulse of the city when I visited the first time as a young man (okay, not the first, that would have been when I was born at NY Presbyterian, but I don't remember that).  I lived on Long Island for a while and went to school worked in the city for a few years.  It would be a shame to miss it completely.  An extremely safe option would be to take the NCL excursion with airport drop off, then you can at least see some of the sites.  Or as someone suggested, spend a little time at the Intrepid, though that might be a hassle with your luggage.  In any case, I would recommend Newark, as it has great flight connections about anywhere, and is least impacted by bad weather.  Avoid Kennedy if you can - it's the airport in the US that most reminds me of traveling in the Third World (Miami used to be close, but they've improved it a lot over the last decade).  La Guardia has had a lot of money poured into it over the last few decades, so would also work, and the drive there is a lot more scenic than the tunnel to Newark.   

If it was me, and if there was no pandemic, I would pack light - one rolling suitcase - and stroll from the pier over to Seventh Avenue, then down to Penn Station, stopping along the way for a hot pretzel, or if I skip breakfast maybe a bagel and a shmeer, find a bench and watch the people for awhile.  Then grab the shuttle to Newark for a late afternoon flight.

In any case, no need to stay the night at the airport.  And the money you save on the hotel can about pay for the NCL excursion/airport drop off. 

Relax and enjoy.

Good luck.

Good suggestions...I had a nice walk from Penn Station to board the Crysyal Symphony in December and there was fun scenery and noshing options along the way .

3 hours ago, Thunderbird19 said:

Air train only gets you to JFK. I think they were trying to expand it to LGA with all the construction there, but I don't think that's happened yet. JFK you could also skip the LIRR and just take the E, J, or Z subway lines directly to Jamaica to switch over the to air train - so it all depends on the hotel you ultimately pick and your comfort level with the subway vs railroad. https://www.jfkairport.com/to-from-airport/air-train

22 hours ago, Thunderbird19 said:

i think most of your questions have been answered here. i will only add that you don't want to calculate being picked up from "lower manhattan." the cruise ship terminal is in "midtown manhattan." and if you try to research or request fare from lower manhattan, your results will be skewed. 

also, newark (EWR) is actually the closest airport to midtown west. and since you favor public transport, i can endorse the new jersey transit train to EWR. affordable and reliable, although the trains are just regular commuter trains that happen to stop at the airport, so they are not ideal for luggage. one person can usually manage a large bag and a carry on, assuming both have wheels. the train leaves from penn station , so you would walk or take a cab to 33rd and 8th avenue. once you get off the train, your journey is not done. you'll still have to take the "airtrain" (monorail) to your terminal, but there are no stops outside the airport, except for the parking lots, rental cars and train station.

the train to JFK is a chore... there is no direct rail service to the airport. you take the subway or long island rail road to jamaica or howard beach. technically, the "airtrain" is the people mover (monorail) that travels from the howard beach and jamaica train stops to and among all the JFK terminals. "airtrain" does not refer to a unified service that takes you from manhattan to the airport.

It's funny reading this thread and see that everyone has a different idea of which airport is "best".   I'm a native New Yorker, born and bred in Brooklyn who has lived in NJ for about 30+ years.  I fly out of EWR all the time, it's an airport, like every other airport.   If I was coming from out of town, I'd just fly where I got the cheapest flight (probably wind up booking through NCL) and take their shuttle to whichever.  I would want as little hassle as possible in a strange city I have no desire to see (that's not me, I'll always check out a city, but the OP had no interest in doing that) and I'd fly home that day.  Why spend money at an airport or in the city, especially if you don't want to go out and find food, etc.   Taxis are fine, but can be intimating for someone not used to them.  I don't think Uber would be an option either if you don't want to deal with the NY scene.   You're spending $xxxx amount of money, what's another couple of hundred to to make your life easier?

Just for an outsider point of view, we've done 5 or 6 cruises from NYC and I've never found that area of Manhattan scary. Right around the cruise port, there's basically no one except for the passengers and cruise employees. And you're just several city blocks from Times Square, Central Park (a few more blocks),  and the train station, and the police, so it was pretty quiet. I wasn't at all afraid of going across the street to the taxi stand. Stay to the main streets in that area and you're fine.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Snowrose said:

Just for an outsider point of view, we've done 5 or 6 cruises from NYC and I've never found that area of Manhattan scary. Right around the cruise port, there's basically no one except for the passengers and cruise employees. And you're just several city blocks from Times Square, Central Park (a few more blocks),  and the train station, and the police, so it was pretty quiet. I wasn't at all afraid of going across the street to the taxi stand. Stay to the main streets in that area and you're fine.

I can't get my mind around how someone feels safe and secure traveling to foreign countries, some of them with a lot of poverty and high crime, but is afraid to cross one street in NYC.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

I can't get my mind around how someone feels safe and secure traveling to foreign countries, some of them with a lot of poverty and high crime, but is afraid to cross one street in NYC.

That's a very interesting view of the situation. I have a feeling that some consider NYC a foreign country.

1 hour ago, JamieLogical said:

For someone of the generation it sounds like the OP and their husband are - I think NYC had some rough times that gave it a bad perception.  It can be tough for someone that hasn't been there in the last 20-30 years to really shake that perception.  My parents are of a similar generation, but we also live close enough to have visited some over the last 20 years, including utilizing the subway as a primary mode of transit while there so they and I do feel comfortable there.

2 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

My wife and I love NYC, we are about 90 minutes away. We visit 6-8 times a year. 

Just info for any interested

We booked the Comfort Inn - Manhattan Midtown West for the night before our transatlantic cruise in April.  Total cost - with taxes etc is less than $160.  Walking distance to cruise port and easy return of our 1 way rental car (from VA).  We can stroll back to the hotel.

We have also stayed at the nearby Econolodge in the past.  

We are flying back to Dulles after B2B in Europe so we will rent another car 1 way to get back home.  

With a classic Nor-easter hitting coastal NE overnight into today, it is a good time to look closely at ops at all 3 major aiports - 

LGA with 97% scheduled flights cancelled

EWR with 78% scheduled flights cancelled

JFK with 70% scheduled flights cancelled ***

PHL (Philadephia, PA) with 46% scheduled flights cancelled

BOS (Boston, MA) and BDL (Bradley - near Hartford, CT) didn't do any better - 90% cancelled ... both airports commonly used for flight diversions, but, not today

BUF (Buffalo, NY) and even SWF (Stewart Int'l in the Hudson River, 65 miles north of NYC) are sometimes used for diverted (international and/or long-haul) flights airborne that must land - both of them weren't impacted today.   But, getting to/from NYC ports would be - suffice to say - a nightmare. 

*** Jetblue's hub is at JFK - 69% scheduled flights cancelled today - triple the #'s against Delta, American & United.   

Link to see today's data, numbers and statistics - while considering your cruise plans if flying in and out - https://flightaware.com/live/cancelled

Of course, today is one of exception and extra ordinary day with a major winter storm/blizzard and fast moving one.  Recovery and rebooking flights, especially with airline hub connections, isn't going to be as easy.  On the other hand, hotel occupancy level aren't a major problem these days.  Happy & Safe Travel.  

LGA in Queens has never been my favorite airport and we used to live across the Flushing Bay overlooking the runways from our rooftop - the good news is now, that multi-year remaking of the new Airport terminals and expansion (8+ years in the making) has reached a key milestone, completion of Terminal B (many think of it as the main & central terminal in the old days - with gates & airline club lounges for American, United, Air Canada & others.  It is vastly different & award winning - ground access definitely much better, and for the lightly packed travelers - inexpensive to ride with the train/subway to dedicated SBS airporter bus links.  Taxi & car service rides being the "least" expensive and shortest in travel time (tried booking an Uber ride today to go anywhere, LOL ...)  It is connected to Terminal C and D via interior walkways (with Delta & other airlines out of there) - travelers might be pleasantly surprised. 

https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs/news/2022/01/27/construction-wraps-up-at-laguardia-s-terminal-b

A footnote on booking hotels in the NYC area, please keep in mind that some of the well-known & popular tourist (visitor) class hotels (and, motels) continued to be under contract with the City of N.Y. various government agencies (as well as the American Red Cross's Disaster Services) to house "special" populations on short-term and emergency basis (not domestic violence-related special shelters) - including a major national brand at/near LGA, in addition to other smaller chains in the area.  Ditto for some of them remaining in use in the Times Square/Midtown West area, close to the MCT.  Always lookup the latest TripAdvisor & Google Reviews, and read some of the comments to avoid surprises - travel smartly, all big cities are alike with certain neighborhoods, really - think LAX and SFO, etc. 

59 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

A footnote on booking hotels in the NYC area, please keep in mind that some of the well-known & popular tourist (visitor) class hotels (and, motels) continued to be under contract with the City of N.Y. various government agencies (as well as the American Red Cross's Disaster Services) to house "special" populations on short-term and emergency basis (not domestic violence-related special shelters) - including a major national brand at/near LGA, in addition to other smaller chains in the area.  Ditto for some of them remaining in use in the Times Square/Midtown West area, close to the MCT.

my goodness, please do tell us more about what you believe the "special" populations are and why you think it's important for us to keep this in mind.

Edited by UKstages

I'm sorry that the OP decided to cancel their cruise but, as someone fron NJ with mobility issues who cruises out of NYC alllll the time, I do have to add that I also thought that some of the advice in this thread was a little cuckoo (in case other people were planning on following it in the future!)

How I interpreted the OP's concern was that her husband wasn't literally afraid of NYC (as in "don't kill me!!),  but rather overwhelmed by the whole idea of a huge city and all of the logistics involved in getting them home.

If they were still going, my advice would have been 1)  Don't worry! The pier is on the very edge of the city and once you get into a taxi/car service, if you blink too long you will already be in the tunnel to NJ and will miss seeing any part of NY. Because 2) The easiest airport to reach from the pier is Newark.  It's a single road straight there (I95) and it takes about 25 minutes without traffic (none in that direction on Thursday morning.)  3)  Book a car service (about $85) in advance to pick you up. Have a porter take your suitcases (don"t lift a single thing!) and meet your car service right at door of the pier. NO need to lug suitcases or cross any streets or even leave the cruise terminal. And, of course 4)  Absolutely no reason to stay overnight in New York or New Jersey if you are not sightseeing.  You will be having lunch at home in Florida no later than 2 pm. 

Easy peasy.  

P.S. (Make sure you have TSA Pre-check to breeze through the airport!)

• Like 1