My Opinion

leerathje

Presumably, all of the cruise lines are managed by people who know that if they bow to the extremes they will lose as many passengers as they gain.

Loosening vaccination, testing and or masking might gain them some anti-vax, anti-test, and anti-mask passengers but will chase away at least as many others.

Given the reputational risk of a mass outbreak (as well as the practical hassles), I expect most lines will maintain intelligent protocols as long as necessary to protect their business interests and the health of their passengers.

Perhaps some line will go the other direction and waive vaccination, testing and masking....If so, I hope they beef up their medical staffs and perhaps even have ventilators available....

Edited by OmarOak
typo
  • Like 12

5 hours ago, OmarOak said:

Presumably, all of the cruise lines are managed by people who know that if they bow to the extremes they will lose as many passengers as they gain.

That is why they are doing surveys - to gauge current sentiment

• Like 1

So many people on this thread apparently won’t cruise because they don’t want to engage in safe practices in the midst of a pandemic.  As someone whose cruise embarks in 23 days, I find this reassuring: I don’t want to sail with a bunch of people who engage in self delusion by refusing to wear masks or get tested.  With HAL’s procedures in place, I feel safer on a cruise ship than at my local grocery store!

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

On 1/27/2022 at 6:04 AM, Crazy For Cats said:

I received this survey yesterday too.  I responded.  We cancelled because of their protocols.  IMHO masking on board with a vaccinated cruise is too much.  I also said that it is difficult to meet their current testing requirements.  Our recent encounter with Covid proved the point.

We just returned from the Eurodam 10 Day cruise.  We booked because of the requirements for masking, testing and vaccinations.  My wife works in healthcare and spent too many days during peaks having goals of care conversations with families of those unlikely to survive. 

We are also pretty sure that 6 entertainment staff who we saw interacting back stage without masks ended up positive in quarantine.  (including the cruise director)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, arijsky said:

So many people on this thread apparently won’t cruise because they don’t want to engage in safe practices in the midst of a pandemic.  As someone whose cruise embarks in 23 days, I find this reassuring: I don’t want to sail with a bunch of people who engage in self delusion by refusing to wear masks or get tested.  With HAL’s procedures in place, I feel safer on a cruise ship than at my local grocery store!

We chose to cancel partially because of the protocols, not because we "don't want to engage in safe practices", but because three weeks of masking in the tropics would make it a very expensive, non-vacation experience for us. Our choice.

As it happens, I am currently waiting out the quarantine time after contracting Covid from the assisted living facility where we sat with my sister last weekend as she died. (They had at least one resident with Covid.) We were to leave on Weds. to drive down to FLL for the cruise, so would have had to cancel anyway. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, nanlaur said:

We chose to cancel partially because of the protocols, not because we "don't want to engage in safe practices", but because three weeks of masking in the tropics would make it a very expensive, non-vacation experience for us. Our choice.

As it happens, I am currently waiting out the quarantine time after contracting Covid from the assisted living facility where we sat with my sister last weekend as she died. (They had at least one resident with Covid.) We were to leave on Weds. to drive down to FLL for the cruise, so would have had to cancel anyway. 

So sorry to hear of the loss of your sister.  May your memories bring you and your family comfort.   Hopefully, your recovery from Covid will be quick.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nanlaur said:

Exactly the reason we aren't cruising now. I agree with the protocols, just don't want that kind of cruise experience.

Sorry about your sister's death. These are difficult times.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 1/27/2022 at 6:04 AM, Crazy For Cats said:

I received this survey yesterday too.  I responded.  We cancelled because of their protocols.  IMHO masking on board with a vaccinated cruise is too much.  I also said that it is difficult to meet their current testing requirements.  Our recent encounter with Covid proved the point.

I received a similar survey, but some of the questions seemed to be more about Seabourn than HAL.  Oddly I also received a survey that was very similar from Seabourn.  

3 hours ago, nanlaur said:

Please take my condolences. I have lost a loved one not that long ago and I can literally feel your pain. May God bless you and protect you from whatever harm may come. I wish you and your family stay safe and protected. Take care my friend

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nanlaur said:

I’m very sorry for your loss.  May her memory be a blessing.

The survey I got from HAL asked if I thought everyone should be boosted in order to sail. I answered yes and I hope that becomes reality. In August we cruised on the Eurodam from Athens and were tested at embarkation. No cases on board. The experience of a lady poster now in quarantine makes me want to drive to Ft. Lauderdale instead of flying. It's a day and a half but it sure limits exposure. In Dec. we were on the Rotterdam and the entertainers got Covid. I wonder if vaccination and testing is a requirement for them as well? Heart goes out to all who have suffered losses in this strange time. Make the choice that's best for you and hope for better times to come.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Hired Gun said:

The survey I got from HAL asked if I thought everyone should be boosted in order to sail. I answered yes and I hope that becomes reality. In August we cruised on the Eurodam from Athens and were tested at embarkation. No cases on board. The experience of a lady poster now in quarantine makes me want to drive to Ft. Lauderdale instead of flying. It's a day and a half but it sure limits exposure. In Dec. we were on the Rotterdam and the entertainers got Covid. I wonder if vaccination and testing is a requirement for them as well? Heart goes out to all who have suffered losses in this strange time. Make the choice that's best for you and hope for better times to come.

the fact that entertainers got covid should say NOTHING is 100% - vaccine, boosts, masks etc.   I got a vaccine to cruise - i will not get a boost - my blood test shows immunity( as much as a boost) -  do what makes you feel safe for sure -  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The reason we will not cruise right now  is the testing requirement. Which is just beyond stupid.

Whether it is mandated or not by the CDC.

As someone else stated; one could test neg.  48 hrs before the cruise and come in contact with hundreds of people travelling thru airports, etc.  and contract the virus en route.

In addition, there is the possibility of a FALSE positive  ruining one's vacation.

We have been vaccinated. And would even wear a mask ( a surgical mask NOT an N95 mask).

But NO WAY will we cruise with the testing requirement!

Let these ships sail at 50-60% capacity.

They will either merge with other lines or go bankrupt in short order.

We could care less.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cruisetheworld67 said:

They will either merge with other lines or go bankrupt in short order.

Walking around my well to do neighborhood this morning we remarked how the cruise industry is losing out to the RV industry.   My parents were in the resort campground business when I was a kid and I have not seen so many new RVs since the late 1970s.  People don't get economics, the competition between cruise lines is not the issue, it is the competition for the vacation/tourist dollar.  And you are right the cruise lines are losing.

Last fall they thought they were doing OK but then this wave of cancellations.  It would be interesting to see what a credible survey shows for the reasons of cancellations

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mary229 said:

Walking around my well to do neighborhood this morning we remarked how the cruise industry is losing out to the RV industry.   My parents were in the resort campground business when I was a kid and I have not seen so many new RVs since the late 1970s.  People don't get economics, the competition between cruise lines is not the issue, it is the competition for the vacation/tourist dollar.  And you are right the cruise lines are losing.

Last fall they thought they were doing OK but then this wave of cancellations.  It would be interesting to see what a credible survey shows for the reasons of cancellations

I think the underlying issue is the overall lack of vacation/tourist dollars.

Auto, RV and VRBO type travel is doing best because the traveler has most control of their situation.

The Hotel industry has been hit hard; so have restaurants and other travel related sectors. Trade shows are being canceled, postponed and those that have been held have attracted a tiny fraction of their pre-Covid attendance. There was a late Summer/Fall uptick but Omicron crashed that.

People are less inclined to travel overall and probably will be until there is a "new normal".  

Cruises will probably be the last travel sector to recover because, for most, a cruise requires air travel, a hotel stay, restaurants and then the ship and its limitations including medical care availability on ship.

• Like 2

On 1/28/2022 at 7:36 AM, arijsky said:

We agree with you 

Sailed wairing a mask

Eurodam 48 days 2021

Rotterdam  14 days  2021

Eurodam 18 days 2022

Zuiderdam 14 days 2022 and 90 days to go.

Just be happy. Holland America is trying. To keep people safe.

Marty and Gail

Edited by Gail & Marty sailing away
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, OmarOak said:

Auto, RV and VRBO type travel is doing best because the traveler has most control of their situation.

Considering an entry level RV is well over $40K I think the cruise lines have lost those customers (potential or active) for a very long time.     According to many reports 2021 visits to Florida, including Disney, have surpassed pre-pandemic levels.  There are plenty of people traveling.  Here is one such report, there are many https://insidethemagic.net/2021/11/florida-tourism-pre-pandemic-levels-kc1/

Taking this back to the subject at hand I think the cruise lines need to do more polling and more market research.  HAL, at least, has been mute.

Edited by Mary229

On 1/27/2022 at 11:17 AM, Hlitner said:

Surveys of those who cancel is nothing new in the industry although it sure does get more attention these days.  DW and I have seldom cancelled a cruise, but about 12 years ago we cancelled a HAL booking (for the Voyage of the Vikings cruise) for a few reasons.  At the time we were only 4 Star Mariners and had booked all of our cruises through several discount/high volume cruise agencies.  Although we had an assigned PCC, we never interacted with that person since we had no reason to book directly with HAL (or any other cruise line).  

A few days after we cancelled our HAL cruise we got a phone call from our PCC who wanted to know why we had cancelled our booking.  This was the first time we had ever heard our PCC or HAL (via a phone call) despite having nearly 400 days on the cruise line.  It took a cancellation to get some personal attention from HAL.  

By the way, we have no problem with the current HAL protocols.  We resumed travel over a year ago (we have no problem dealing with the increased risk of COVID) and resumed cruising last July (3 cruises totaling 44 days in the 2nd half of 2021).   We understand that no single part of a protocol will completely eliminate risk of COVID but that having protocols with multiple provisions work together to substantially reduce the risk of COVID.  So while vaccination may not be enough, when you combine vaccination with an active testing protocol and some onboard mitigation measures the odds of having COVID cases is reduced (not eliminated).

As to the vaccine issue, folks that want to cruise/travel internationally need to accept that vaccines are a requirement in much of the world.  If you cannot or will not comply  (which is your choice) you will simply need to find other alternatives to international travel and cruising.  You can protest and whine till the cats start to cry but vaccine mandates are actually becoming stronger and nearly universal (for international travel) and will likely stay that way for many years.  

One other thing for the "whiners."  Cruise lines need to meet vaccination and testing requirements in order to call at most ports of the world.  When we cruised (last October) on Seabourn out of Barbados we needed to be fully vaccinated and tested 5 times (2 PCR and 3 Antigen) on an 18 day trip.  On a recent 20 day Princess cruise (Caribbean) we only needed to be tested twice (and be fully vaccinated).  This is just the way it is and you either accept the program/rules or stay home.

Hank

Hank thank you for Writing this.

• Like 2

On 1/26/2022 at 10:19 PM, smlnd said:

When we went on a Crystal Cruise last year, they tested everyone (free) at the port.  You waited for your results in the terminal and you could only board if you were negative. There were no cases of Covid on board but there were only 173 passengers on our cruise.  As you can see, they could not sustain this kind of service without going bankrupt. 

crystal bankruptcy had little to nothing to do with testing...it had to do primarily  with a parent company making some very bad investments in vegas and ship yards

• Like 2

OmarOak, think your summary covers it quite well. Looking at Mexican Riv. cruise out of san Diego. Advantage--can drive to port. Negative test at port, disappointing, not a disaster. However, spending money for a cruise, then to be in quarantine not a chance I am willing to take.

So, OP here.  I'm almost afraid to respond to this, as I fear many responders will call me out, but here goes.

There were basically 3 sets of questions.  Below is a screen grab of the first questions, and the other two were just single questions.

Let me preface that we were also travelling with my 81 year old father and his 84 year old friend and we all know that even though they are double vaxxed and boostered, COVID-19 can hit those of that age harder than me (55). In addition, Canadian airlines have reduced their flight frequency to the US and Caribbean, and the cost of airfare for DH and I has gone up, and is around $1000. CAD pp.

I picked worried about quarantining, COVID 19 cases are high, and Other.  My "other" is I'm not interested in travelling to Florida right now.  The (lack of) mask mandate, the low vaccination rate (In British Columbia, 85% of those from 5 and up are double vaccinated) and the (lack of) restrictions.

The next question was "was I concerned about HAL's restrictions" and the answer was no.  Last quesiton was did I have anything further comment.

PS:  I have replaced the cruise that I cancelled with the same itinerary in December 2022.

L.

hal questions.jpg

On 1/27/2022 at 6:32 PM, jeh10641 said:

Despite my trials and tribulations with testing (see below), I happy to do it (sort of). My tests were free even though they never found mine. My wife also was tested (arrived after trip started). No charges for either.

THUMBS DOWN COVID 19 TESTING

Before we embarked, we were going to spend several days visiting relatives across the state of Florida. That presented us with our first problem: How do we get tested for COVID 19 before the trip? HAL recommended QUEST DIAGNOSTICS through their health protocols on HAL’S website.

Our boarding date was Wednesday, December 1, 2021. Our boarding time changed several times but finalized at 1 PM. We were happy with the time.  Our cousins had synchronized their boarding time with ours and were happy with the time.

We booked a date/time for our COVID 19 test through QUEST DIAGNOSTICS.  It was on Monday November 29, 2021 at 10 AM at a Walmart drive through pharmacy in Boynton Beach on Military Trail. The night before we stayed in Port St. Lucie about a 90 minute drive from our testing site. We arrived 15 minutes early for our tests. As we sat in our car, a pharmacist supervised the testing process through the Drive Through window. We were done in about 15 minutes. We placed our test samples in the box indicated by the pharmacist. Before we left, I specifically asked the testing supervisor how long would it take to get our results. He said “24 to 48 hours”.  That meant about 10 AM on December 1, the day of our embarkation. I told him that was IMPORTANT as we taking a cruise on Wednesday. The timing was okay. This is where it all went wrong.

Through my tablet and the hotel’s computer, I kept checking QUEST’s website and my email for written confirmation. I checked every couple of hours through Tuesday and into Wednesday morning. NO TEST RESULTS were available by 11 AM on Wednesday. Through Cruise Critic, I knew that if we had proof of testing but no results, HAL could test us at embarkation. The stress of not knowing if we would be able to board was palpable. I DO NOT ENDORSE OR RECOMMEND QUEST DIAGNOSTIC SERVICES FOR TESTING.

Arriving at Port Everglades at Noon on December 1, we left our bags with a porter and entered the terminal. I explained our situation to the greeter at the entrance. She called over another staff member who escorted us to an area for testing. We took our tests and went to a waiting area. After 15 minutes, our name was called and we were given our test results. NEGATIVE!!!! We then were allowed to board.

My wife finally got her test results Thursday December 2, 2021 when we were on our second day at sea. On Friday, I received a note that QUEST DIAGNOSTICS COULD NOT FIND MY RESULTS!

Quest is normally a decent medical lab company but they have been overwhelmed by COVID Test demands.  Before a trip last Fall we drove nearly 1 1/2 hours each way to get to a reliable testing center (who guaranteed results within 24 hours) because our local Quest folks said they could not guarantee results fast enough.  After we returned home from that same trip we did go to a local Quest lab to get PCR tests (covered by Medicare) because we feared having been exposed to some positive COVID folks during our return trip from Florida.  Although DW and I had samples taken at the same time, I received my results in about 70 hours but DW did not get her results for 5 days!

I only mention this because folks need to be very careful on where they get tested if they have a mandatory tight time frame (such as before a cruise).  Where we live (close to Harrisburg, PA) there was not a single testing site (until recently) that would guarantee results fast enough for travel.  Recently a drive through testing site (privately operated) did open that will guarantee fast results but they do not accept any insurance (you can try to get your own reimbursement later).   The testing situation becomes quite difficult when a normal PCR test is required (such as when flying to Barbados).

Hank

On 1/28/2022 at 7:32 PM, nanlaur said:

Thank you for the words of condolence. My sister was on hospice for nearly a year, and she is now free of her physical and mental struggles. We are rejoicing for her in the midst of our pain.

I, too, express my condolences for the loss of your sister. I understand your reluctance to cruise wearing masks and with social distancing. We just decided that the trip was worth the inconveniences involved. Get better and stay well.

Jim

• Like 1