Cash Tipping

We will typically find a bar/bartender that we really enjoy in the beginning of our trip and tip them $10 or $20.  That way we don't have to carry cash with us for every drink.  We will tend to head to that bar once we find out the schedule. We will tip every few day.  Not only do we enjoy getting to know a few bartenders, they know and recognize you as well.  Most days, when Marshall (our favorite Bartender) would even see us walk towards the bar he would start to make our drink of choice!  It was ready when we sat down, and we were greeted by name.  That was our favorite part of our last cruise, getting to know the man behind the bar. It was so amazing hearing his story and his plans for when he is done. 

• Like 3

23 hours ago, hapytobehr said:

The tips added to the receipt are split among the servers and whoever.  When you give cash to the server, they pocket them.

I was told this as well, by a server, I asked them. So if you want the person serving or bartending for you to get the entire tip for their personal service tip in cash. Otherwise it is shared. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Way back in the olden days on my first cruise (Sitmar Fairsea 1974), my TA gave me the valuable tips of 1-Be on time for Dinner if Assigned Seating and 2-Tip your room steward the first time you meet them (and when saying Bye Bye, See you Next Time) and  3-Be Nice!  I always have lots of fives and singles handy (Life has been Good) and think of the acronym:  To Insure Prompt Service.  As in Life, a smile and sincere thank you also goes a long way - No, I'm not perfect, but have Been There and Done That.  See you at Meet and Mingle!  

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, MizMoon said:

Way back in the olden days on my first cruise (Sitmar Fairsea 1974), my TA gave me the valuable tips of 1-Be on time for Dinner if Assigned Seating and 2-Tip your room steward the first time you meet them (and when saying Bye Bye, See you Next Time) and  3-Be Nice!  I always have lots of fives and singles handy (Life has been Good) and think of the acronym:  To Insure Prompt Service.  As in Life, a smile and sincere thank you also goes a long way - No, I'm not perfect, but have Been There and Done That.  See you at Meet and Mingle!  

Well put! My feelings exactly! 👍

4 hours ago, MizMoon said:

Ensure not Insure...so, there's that...

• Haha 2

I normally give an extra tip to the room stewards and dining room staff on the last day of the cruise. Should I be tipping on the first day instead, or it doesn't really matter when it's done?

9 minutes ago, mdin said:

I normally give an extra tip to the room stewards and dining room staff on the last day of the cruise. Should I be tipping on the first day instead, or it doesn't really matter when it's done?

I've never understood tipping on the first day.  Why would I tip someone for something they have not done?  To me that's a bribe and kind of insulting to a crew member sort of insinuating that I have to give them a tip in advance otherwise I won't get good service.

To each their own, your money, your choice.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, sd63 said:

I was told this as well, by a server, I asked them. So if you want the person serving or bartending for you to get the entire tip for their personal service tip in cash. Otherwise it is shared. 

I was told (by various persons including John Heald) that a tip on a receipt goes to the person.

1 hour ago, ColeThornton said:

I've never understood tipping on the first day.  Why would I tip someone for something they have not done?  To me that's a bribe and kind of insulting to a crew member sort of insinuating that I have to give them a tip in advance otherwise I won't get good service.

To each their own, your money, your choice.

I guess then crew love to be insulted.  Any service industry professional understands the nuances regarding gratuities and they are never insulted by a nice tip.  

1 hour ago, mdin said:

Same, here. I tip at the end of the cruise. I often go to customer service and tell them the name of the staff person and the amount of the tip. 

1 hour ago, mdin said:

Depends.  If on meeting the cabin steward, you give them a few expectations like keeping your ice bucket full, bringing you extra towels, blankets, you can hand them something and head off to do your thing  OR you can wait in the stateroom until they return with your requested items, then tip.  

• Like 1

On 2/5/2022 at 10:28 AM, sd63 said:

Do you typically quiz servers on how tips are split?  Have you ever worked in a bar? If it is practice to split/share/pool tips, it still doesn't matter how you tip, cash or receipt, servers do not hose team members.  When there is more than one bartender working a bar, those bartenders "pool" tips.  That way, all seats at the bar are attended by all bartenders, otherwise guests would wait for "their" bartender.  Drink servers "tip out" the bartenders who actual make the drinks,  again it doesn't matter cash or receipt.  If the tip out didn't happen, bartenders would slow work servers while attending guests directly. Crew who work together, live together and they quickly suss out co-workers who hold out and run them off.  

5 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

Do you typically quiz servers on how tips are split?  Have you ever worked in a bar? If it is practice to split/share/pool tips, it still doesn't matter how you tip, cash or receipt, servers do not hose team members.  When there is more than one bartender working a bar, those bartenders "pool" tips.  That way, all seats at the bar are attended by all bartenders, otherwise guests would wait for "their" bartender.  Drink servers "tip out" the bartenders who actual make the drinks,  again it doesn't matter cash or receipt.  If the tip out didn't happen, bartenders would slow work servers while attending guests directly. Crew who work together, live together and they quickly suss out co-workers who hold out and run them off.  

Only HONEST team members.  This has been debated/discussed for decades, the consensus is if staff are supposed to tip out/split/share a certain % of cash tips, we can't be surprised if the reality is that % is lower and they keep some cash in their pocket.  Totally agree with your overall point, if the rule is to pool cash tips, it will most likely be shared anyways.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Only HONEST team members.  This has been debated/discussed for decades, the consensus is if staff are supposed to tip out/split/share a certain % of cash tips, we can't be surprised if the reality is that % is lower and they keep some cash in their pocket.  Totally agree with your overall point, if the rule is to pool cash tips, it will most likely be shared anyways.

Dishonest ones get found out even quicker when their roomie mentions that drawer full of cash.  On land, servers know who is pocketing and not tipping out.  

On 2/4/2022 at 4:19 PM, craig01020 said:

I also have $100 in fives plus I bring $100 in these:

$2 bill

The is a problem with $2s...

1)  They have crew only vending machines they use frequently which doesn't accept $2s; crew will often trade them with other crew for two singles.

2)  It may be really difficult for them to use/exchange $2s because while they're legal tender in the US, most crew members have too much work to do on embarkation day and aren't allowed off.   Therefore they're most likely only allowed leave in foreign ports, therefore they may need to wait in line at a bank that's willing to exchange them.

3)  Odds are 9 out of 10 times, if you held up a single dollar bill in one hand and a two dollar bill in the other, told them to pick one, they would take the "fuss free" single.

• Like 5

Just now, Elaine5715 said:

Dishonest ones get found out even quicker when their roomie mentions that drawer full of cash.  On land, servers know who is pocketing and not tipping out.  

Very possible yet there's also the bar crew culture.  I'm friends with a bartender at a local land based bar, they pool $1s and $5s but keep anything larger for yourself.  Entirely up to you if you want to share your larger bills with others who may have assisted you.  If you're a crew member just starting your contract on a new ship, simply depends on the culture you're walking into.  If everyone else is keeping $$$ for themselves and the overseers don't care, they'll probably keep some $$$.

2 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

I was only sharing information for people to make an informed decision. I didn’t expect to get attacked. But here we are. It’s a wonder why this country is in rapid decline. Get a life!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sd63 said:

I was only sharing information for people to make an informed decision. I didn’t expect to get attacked. But here we are. It’s a wonder why this country is in rapid decline. Get a life!

I asked a question and yes, it is my fault for asking a question.  Maybe if we all asked questions, this country would not be in a decline.