Travel Insurance covering Covid

33 minutes ago, cruiser3775 said:

I wasn't sure if I was allowed to name insurance companies on this forum.  The three I got quotes from were  Covermore , nib and 1Cover.    They all had an extra price to pay for a cruise.

We can mention travel insurance companies, but not travel agents. 🙂

2 hours ago, cruiser3775 said:

I wasn't sure if I was allowed to name insurance companies on this forum.  The three I got quotes from were  Covermore , nib and 1Cover.    They all had an extra price to pay for a cruise.

You can advise travel insurance companies, but not travel agents. 

• Like 1

I think Qantas travel insurance also provide insurance for Domestic cruises- Australian Waters also South Pacific Cruises.

Qantas Travel Insurance policies are managed by nib Travel Services (Australia) Pty Limited (nib) ABN 81 115 932 173 AFSL 308461 and underwritten by Pacific International Insurance Pty Ltd, ABN 83 169 311 193. Qantas (AR 261363) is nib's authorised representative and acts on behalf of nib. This is general advice only.

Cheers

CRUISING ALONG

• Like 1

On 3/17/2022 at 10:22 AM, B'Elanna said:

I just tried Fast Cover for a domestic cruise and it says that they don't provide insurance for ships with over 200 passengers.

And if you declare you are on blood thinners, straight out, NO. I am fishing around for travel insurance. If I can get a policy at a reasonable price I may go for a little cruise on Princess. The Conflict Islands one in August on Coral Princess appeals, Syd-Syd.

IMO for us 'Seniors' it is a risk at the moment booking a cruise, travel insurance policies are so varied, expensive and sketchy. Needs serious consideration folks.

I would not be happy if I had to wear a mask at embarkation/disembarkation, around the ship and ashore, not comfortable with masks and given the money you pay.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

On 3/17/2022 at 10:47 AM, B'Elanna said:

I'm still looking but I have found NIB to cover domestic cruising and covid, but it's not cheap (52 F for 5 days $167)

$167 is cheap as chips.

• Like 2

On 3/20/2022 at 10:30 AM, Cleopatra99 said:

I'm glad I stumbled across this discussion. We are dealing with the same dilemma. In relation to Southern Cross Travel mentioned earlier, the cut-paste below is from their website today.

I'm not sure how everyone else deals with risk, but there is no way I would travel under those restrictions by the insurance company (specifically the ones related to decisions by various governments)

I'll keep looking, but I'm somewhat pessimistic about finding something suitable.

Please continue to offer suggestions.

• SCTI won't cover COVID-19 losses or expenses in the following situations:

• If you or a relevant person are not fully vaccinated
    • If a claim is connected to a government restriction due to COVID-19
    • Where boarding of transport is denied because of a failure to get the documents necessary for the journey, such as a COVID-19 vaccination history or a negative COVID-19 test
    • Getting COVID-19 while travelling to a destination or a region which has a level 3 or 4 travel advisory in place for COVID-19 on the Smartraveller  website.

There are other exclusions, so we encourage you to read your policy wording and Supplementary Product Disclosure Statement carefully.

• There is no cover under our TravelCare or Domestic policy for government restrictions, lockdowns, or any pause to quarantine-free travel.

Totally agree, trying to find travel insurance in this era for a cruise at an elder age (73) with a few pre existing medical conditions is a minefield in a fact a nightmare,  I have spent half the day looking.  Just about given up.

Edited by NSWP

34 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Totally agree, trying to find travel insurance in this era for a cruise at an elder age (73) with a few pre existing medical conditions is a minefield in a fact a nightmare,  I have spent half the day looking.  Just about given up.

Uncle Les,   You are looking good!

Eileen

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I heard a rumour, from a reliable source, that Insure&Go would have cruise insurance available in about four weeks. I suspect other insurance companies will be gearing up for this too.

Julie, Re the Conflict Island cruise, PNG is currently a level 3 travel warning, the insurance companies will not cover you for travel to level 3.   Domestic travel insurance would not cover the Conflict Islands, you need international cruise insurance.

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

Julie, Re the Conflict Island cruise, PNG is currently a level 3 travel warning, the insurance companies will not cover you for travel to level 3.   Domestic travel insurance would not cover the Conflict Islands, you need international cruise insurance.

Yes, I know that. I actually have an annual international policy "on hold" with Insure&Go with ten months remaining on it so hopefully they will honour that. If I time it right it should cover our next three cruises including the Conflict Island cruise and an NZ one. And the travel warning could change before that cruise.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Like 1

It's not true that all insurance companies will not cover you for travel when there is a Level 3 Reconsider Your Need to Travel advice from Smarttraveller.  There are some companies that do offer this cover, but you need to read the T & Cs.

On 3/24/2022 at 5:25 PM, NSWP said:

And if you declare you are on blood thinners, straight out, NO. I am fishing around for travel insurance. If I can get a policy at a reasonable price I may go for a little cruise on Princess. The Conflict Islands one in August on Coral Princess appeals, Syd-Syd.

IMO for us 'Seniors' it is a risk at the moment booking a cruise, travel insurance policies are so varied, expensive and sketchy. Needs serious consideration folks.

I would not be happy if I had to wear a mask at embarkation/disembarkation, around the ship and ashore, not comfortable with masks and given the money you pay.

Hi Les, we are also looking  for insurance, will prob only be able to get cancellation, baggage and  accidental medical etc, not much chance of getting covid insurance..We are off for jab number 4 in couple of  weeks, we hopefully will all be ok to cruise then, given that the ships will have to have such high standards of sanitizing going on, plus all pax and crew vaxxed as well...   and....if you decide to go on the August cruise, you are more than  welcome to join us with our party of 6, more the merrier..

Im also wondering what vaccination protocols they will have in place for checking our covid status at port... maybe we will get tested at the port somehow...will be watching this subject on here....cheers...

Edited by S&D

On 3/14/2022 at 4:19 PM, JohnGc said:

Had a look at Southern Cross Travel Insurance for  cruise cover from Brisbane to Tasmania  but could not find any domestic cover. 

Did you find any domestic cover yet that they don’t want your arm and leg for ?

Cheers Carole

19 minutes ago, Elorac123 said:

Did you find any domestic cover yet that they don’t want your arm and leg for ?

Cheers Carole

Hi Carole, I did get a quote from Cover-More  ( International Basic Domestic Cruise ) for the amount of $485  for a 8 night cruise. My age 79 wife 82  so not expecting to get it much cheaper, I just have a concern with their reviews on product review. I am now waiting to get quotes from Insure & Go and Australian Seniors Insurance. Hopefully they will soon start their cruise cover again. They discontinued cover when the cruise ban was active.

Cheers John.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, JohnGc said:

Hi Carole, I did get a quote from Cover-More  ( International Basic Domestic Cruise ) for the amount of $485  for a 8 night cruise. My age 79 wife 82  so not expecting to get it much cheaper, I just have a concern with their reviews on product review. I am now waiting to get quotes from Insure & Go and Australian Seniors Insurance. Hopefully they will soon start their cruise cover again. They discontinued cover when the cruise ban was active.

Cheers John.

Covermore are looking the best for me also,only doing a 3 day on Coral with a friend bought it jointly $139 one of us 69 and 78

Cheers Carole

9 minutes ago, Elorac123 said:

Covermore are looking the best for me also,only doing a 3 day on Coral with a friend bought it jointly $139 one of us 69 and 78

Cheers Carole

That's great. I think once you reach 80 years old, as I will be in a few weeks time the cost rises substantially. I think the insurance companies think we are going to fall of our perch even if we are fit.

Have a great time on your cruise.

Cheers John.

8 minutes ago, JohnGc said:

That's great. I think once you reach 80 years old, as I will be in a few weeks time the cost rises substantially. I think the insurance companies think we are going to fall of our perch even if we are fit.

Cheers John.

This insurance still doesn’t cover for Covid if you are onboard,not bought it yet hoping some of the others will add Covid cover before we go

Cheers Carole

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Elorac123 said:

This insurance still doesn’t cover for Covid if you are onboard,not bought it yet hoping some of the others will add Covid cover before we go

Cheers Carole

Our cruise is with R.C.C and they cover Covid medical etc while on board,

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, JohnGc said:

Cheers John.

I agree.  The insurance risk should be based on fitness of the person, not age.  I had trouble years ago getting travel insurance, with medical support, for my MIL in her early 80s for her one and only trip overseas to US with her elder son.  I eventually got travel insurance with National Seniors, with one exclusion I didn't worry about because there was no way she wasn't going.  She is still going strong at 100 this year. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MMDown Under said:

I agree.  The insurance risk should be based on fitness of the person, not age.  I had trouble years ago getting travel insurance, with medical support, for my MIL in her early 80s for her one and only trip overseas to US with her elder son.  I eventually got travel insurance with National Seniors, with one exclusion I didn't worry about because there was no way she wasn't going.  She is still going strong at 100 this year. 

That's brilliant ,and why not and I bet she loved the cruise. We should not be put into one category it is sad if 80 yr olds are of ill health but there are many that are fortunate to be very fit at that age. I was disappointed when one insurance company flatly refused any insurance cover if cancer was named . My wife went through all the surgery, Chemo, Radiation the lot and is now clear and more active than I am . Thankfully other companies will let you cover it at a price or just decline the cover for only that condition. That's my little rant over. 😃

Cheers John

• 4 months later...

Has anybody used Cota travel insurance and if so were they any good. The wife said there has been adverts on the tv, unfortunately I have not seen them.  After spending many hours looking for insurance cover I have not come across this one. I thought I would ask you guys before delving into it any further at this stage.

Cheers John.

Edited by JohnGc

Hi John, I used COTA inn 2019 for a Viking Cruise Tokyo-Vancouver. I was very sick with pneumonia on the last few days of the cruise, COTA were great and paid up quickly, I had pre-existing covered which helped a lot. So I can certainly recommend them for how they handled my claim. BTW Viking medical centre was fabulous, every mod con available and staff were exemplary.

Always read the PDS as rules may be different now.

Edited by Relaxing Rita
addition
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Relaxing Rita said:

Hi John, I used COTA inn 2019 for a Viking Cruise Tokyo-Vancouver. I was very sick with pneumonia on the last few days of the cruise, COTA were great and paid up quickly, I had pre-existing covered which helped a lot. So I can certainly recommend them for how they handled my claim. BTW Viking medical centre was fabulous, every mod con available and staff were exemplary.

Always read the PDS as rules may be different now.

Thank you, nice to read that Cota took good care of you, that is the sort of information that is so important when looking at insurance.I have yet to read the PDS. I have noticed that they do not cover domestic and will not cover single trip international if you are over 70 years old. The exception is they will cover over 70s if you take out multi trip annual and as I usually only book 1 cruise a year that has unfortunately ruled me out. I appreciate your post. Once you reach 80 yrs old insurance is not so easy.

Edited by JohnGc