NCL making masks optional as of March 1st -- Think Carnival might follow suit?

crazy4themouse

13 minutes ago, dallasdan said:

I read it the new policy as if you have recovered you don't need a pre cruise covid test.  However, you still need to be vaccinated to cruise.  Correct?

A recent documented infection and recovery. If not vaccinated, you still need to apply for one of the very limited exemptions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Survival has nothing to do with it. As infections drop, science says you can relax restrictions. Just like if another variant comes along, restrictions can be put back in place. This is not new.

Survival has everything to do w/ it...and carnival will follow.  I know there will be some disappointed people, but it's coming, and soon.  Looking forward to the worn out adage of 'agree to the protocols or don't sail'.  

Edited by bucfan2
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, bucfan2 said:

Survival has everything to do w/ it...and carnival will follow.  I know there will be some disappointed people, but it's coming, and soon.  Looking forward to the worn out adage of 'agree to the protocols or don't sail'.  

It will be interesting how cruise lines handle cancellation requests from passengers that don't want things to go back to what was a normal cruise experience 2 years ago. (No masks, testing, mandatory vaccinations) I would assume they may decline those requests under the logic that they are removing restrictions and not imposing them.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Scotto97 said:

It will be interesting how cruise lines handle cancellation requests from passengers that don't want things to go back to what was a normal cruise experience 2 years ago. (No masks, testing, mandatory vaccinations) I would assume they may decline those requests under the logic that they are removing restrictions and not imposing them.

In a 'normal' society, one would think that number of requests would be 0.  I am also curious how they will handle the requests lol.

• Like 1

Just now, Scotto97 said:

or how about the people who cancelled because of protocols and lost OBC and cheap prices?

It's never going to be 2019 again. You can't live in the past.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

or how about the people who cancelled because of protocols and lost OBC and cheap prices?

Again, there are going to be those (a small portion of the 30-40%er's) that are disappointed w/ the upcoming changes.

Edited by bucfan2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Scotto97 said:

I disagree.  I think it will be treated the same as those who booked past March 31st.  There was no indication or guarantee that the requirements would go anywhere.  People booking knew it was a possibility masking and vaccine requirements would be staying.  But Carnival still gave them the opportunity to cancel without penalty when the rules were extending. 

This is no different. I booked a cruise for the end of March which did all under the current restrictions.  I made a decision to cruise based on what the risks are and what mitigating factors are.  I might not cancel if it was dropped tomorrow, but others might be in a different boat.  If I had a existing condition, and masking was dropped, that may be a HUGE factor. 

It's only fair to offer cancellation to anyone who has had the rules changed on them.  Whether you are for or against them. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, bucfan2 said:

In a 'normal' society, one would think that number of requests would be 0.  I am also curious how they will handle the requests lol.

But it isn't "normal".  Covid is still here.  Everyone has different risk levels and tolerances.  There would definitely be people who would request it. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

I certainly hope you are wrong - These last 2 years have been hell. I'm not talking about bringing back 80's Rock. Just normality..... when we weren't afraid of fellow citizens, and weren't forced to cover our faces (And expressions)   

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

39 minutes ago, 1kaper said:

Everyone has different risk levels and tolerances.  There would definitely be people who would request it. 

No doubt.  If removal of a 'requirement' that everyone wear a mask exceeds ones risk tolerance at this point, but all means, they should not choose a cruise vacation.  But I'm betting, by using common sense, they already know that and weren't using that to 'tip the scale' on go/no-go.

Edited by bucfan2
  • Like 3

39 minutes ago, 1kaper said:

I disagree.  I think it will be treated the same as those who booked past March 31st.  There was no indication or guarantee that the requirements would go anywhere.  People booking knew it was a possibility masking and vaccine requirements would be staying.  But Carnival still gave them the opportunity to cancel without penalty when the rules were extending. 

This is no different. I booked a cruise for the end of March which did all under the current restrictions.  I made a decision to cruise based on what the risks are and what mitigating factors are.  I might not cancel if it was dropped tomorrow, but others might be in a different boat.  If I had a existing condition, and masking was dropped, that may be a HUGE factor. 

It's only fair to offer cancellation to anyone who has had the rules changed on them.  Whether you are for or against them. 

They can still cancel through 2/15 like the latest change of carnival drops the masks quickly.

Personally, I don't like it, but it's the same now as before.  Their ship, their rules.  At this point I would think they would leave the protocols alone for at least a few more weeks to see how it works out for the other cruise lines.  But that's just me.  I do not run a cruise line.  I would assume there is market research and science to back up any decision.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, jonbgd said:

It would be nice if they did follow NCL lead and get rid of face masks

That means we are closer to normalcy in our own everyday lives

Literally haven't worn a mask anywhere in the past 6 months other than planes. Time to move one. Past time. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, skridge said:

I am pretty sure more than 909,000 people have died in the US in the past two years.  Your conspiracy theory is hilarious.  

Oh thanks Champ, I was 1000% serious. Your response will make me do some further research and soul searching. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Denverdonkeys said:

They can still cancel through 2/15 like the latest change of carnival drops the masks quickly.

I can’t. I booed for March. I am not eligible for cancellation right now. Because the restrictions were in effect until the end of March. 
Those who booked cruises after April 1st are eligible because the restrictions were extended. 

6 minutes ago, bucfan2 said:

Small portion of the 30-40% (capacity) cruising...sorry that wasn't clear.  Not  ambulance chasing stats...just going off what cruise lines are currently sailing at.

From the people I have spoken with on cruises I have been on, the vast majority want mask rules in place.  The crew I spoke with also want people to wear masks. Many are intimidated by the anti-mask people, so nothing is said.  But that is just my experience and impression.  They are going to do whatever they are going to do and change it again if it doesn't work.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MrMarc said:

From the people I have spoken with on cruises I have been on, the vast majority want mask rules in place.  The crew I spoke with also want people to wear masks. Many are intimidated by the anti-mask people, so nothing is said.  But that is just my experience and impression.  They are going to do whatever they are going to do and change it again if it doesn't work.

Of course, the people that don't want to wear masks aren't cruising right now. (So they are not available to ask their opinion onboard) Why do you think most ships are at 30% - 40% capacity? The other 70% - 60% don't want to cruise under the current protocols.

Cruise stocks are going up like crazy right now. But the cruise lines are still losing millions. Why? because things will be getting back to normal soon. (No masks or protocols) so more people will cruise again

• Like 3

If I was so afraid of getting covid that being near someone else who wasn't wearing a mask sent me into a panic, I wouldn't be traveling at all.  I am sure Carnival's passenger counts will surge once they remove the mask mandates.  

I booked a cruise on Norwegian when they didn't have the mandate.  Then they changed their rules and made a mandate.  I was happy that they cancelled the cruise and I got a refund.  The only reason I am cruising right now is because I got a free cabin offer for the Mardi Gras.  Unless I get another free cabin, we are willing to wait it out until mask mandates are removed.  We may consider a cruise on another line that doesn't have them in place. 

It would be a good move for Carnival to move forward with common sense as the other lines are doing.  I think some people live in a constant state of fear and are upset that other people can happily go about their lives.

Edited by TNcruising02
  • Like 6

29 minutes ago, Scotto97 said:

Of course, the people that don't want to wear masks aren't cruising right now. (So they are not available to ask their opinion onboard) Why do you think most ships are at 30% - 40% capacity? The other 70% - 60% don't want to cruise under the current protocols.

We do NOT want to wear masks, but we are cruising in April - just took one in December as well (both w/CCL, so masks required).  We talked to many on our December cruise who also despise the masks but missed cruising too much.  A year ago we were part of the group saying we would NEVER cruise in masks.  We came to realize that the mask protocol would be around for a while, so we caved.  We just missed cruising way too much to let a mask stand in our way.  Honestly, I wish the testing protocol would go away even more than the mask protocol - but I expect it is here for a while. Just a hassle and it's hard to plan/pack for a cruise that you have a chance of not taking due to testing positive.  These are my opinions and based on my recent experience on board (and cruise prep), so no one needs to bother to tell me I'm wrong - it's just my opinion.

This has certainly been an interesting - and entertaining - thread.  Happy cruising to all! 🙂

• Like 1