NCL making masks optional as of March 1st -- Think Carnival might follow suit?

crazy4themouse

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2022/02/08/norwegian-drops-mandatory-face-mask-rule-its-cruise-ships

As of March 1st, masks will optional on NCL. I am sure hoping Carnival follows the leader on this one. That falls right in the middle of our upcoming Vista cruise, but I would still be awfully happy about it!! I'm not sure why NCL even set a date of March 1st like that -- You know that anyone sailing between now and then will not be bothered with mask-wearing... If masks aren't need on 3/1, why would they be necessary 2/28, or next week or tomorrow? That would be my thinking.

• Like 17

Great news! I sure hope so! Really hoping for a spring break cruise miracle! Seeing the momentum swing HUGELY the last few days nationwide has been inspiring/uplifting. Even my state has finally come around. I hope they end it as soon as possible and let cruising be cruising again. There will be a benefit to the line who gets there first simply from a boomerang effect. People vote with their wallets. Good on NCL, should raise their stock price. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, crazy4themouse said:

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2022/02/08/norwegian-drops-mandatory-face-mask-rule-its-cruise-ships

As of March 1st, masks will optional on NCL. I am sure hoping Carnival follows the leader on this one. That falls right in the middle of our upcoming Vista cruise, but I would still be awfully happy about it!! I'm not sure why NCL even set a date of March 1st like that -- You know that anyone sailing between now and then will not be bothered with mask-wearing... If masks aren't need on 3/1, why would they be necessary 2/28, or next week or tomorrow? That would be my thinking.

I think removing masks is in-line with a majority of US states with mask mandates still over the next few weeks (except NV, but I expect that to change soon).

The reason for the delay? Well, every day we extend is that much less community spread. With the way Omicron is receding even a few days can be a difference of double digit % less spread so a few more weeks might mean numbers closer to what they were last spring and summer which would be GREAT news! I do NOT believe that the vaccine mandates will go away anytime soon, however (and Carnival has confirmed as much). 

I picked up Covid on my Miracle cruise over NYE and am STILL battling remnants a month later (persistent cough/sinuses) but that was also when literally looking at someone pretty much got you Omicron lol

• Like 3

I can hope so.  However, I believe that Carnival has extended their rule until at least April.  That being said I am hopeful that the actual enforcement of the sip/cover will lax as the #'s and news decrease.  We sail late March, so fingers crossed for us.  In general I feel the tides have and will continue to slowly turn in this direction since the Supreme Court ruling.  I think slowly but surely people are seeing that it should be a personal choice.

Edited by famof4togo
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, JMKreno said:

The reason for the delay? Well, every day we extend is that much less community spread. With the way Omicron is receding even a few days can be a difference of double digit % less spread so a few more weeks might mean numbers closer to what they were last spring and summer which would be GREAT news! I do NOT believe that the vaccine mandates will go away anytime soon, however (and Carnival has confirmed as much). 

That makes sense. But then, I wonder why they wouldn't just wait until March 1st and say, "Masks are no longer required, effective immediately." Would eliminate the likely non-compliance between now and then, possibly.

• Like 3

Carnival has already stated sailings departing as of April 2022 and onward will continue to operate vaccinated voyages with their enhanced protocols.

We are sailing May, 2022 and received a specific email regarding this.

So, no, Carnival will NOT follow the leader.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, hapytobehr said:

Carnival has already stated sailings departing as of April 2022 and onward will continue to operate vaccinated voyages with their enhanced protocols.

So you don't think they have the ability to change their minds?  To find new information and alter their thinking?  How close minded that would be.  I am pro mask and pro vaccines but I understand that with every day that passes new information is gathered.  I bet, for example, the summer sailing season is different policy-wise than now.

• Like 9

A good discussion.  I wish they would keep masks as required in the theater and elevators, even if they relax them at other venues.  One can properly distance at a bar or pool, for example, by choice.  However, in an elevator or once seated a disabled person might be forced into close contact with a coughing person, and it would be very difficult to exit to escape.

Edited by Pizzasteve
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Caps_Shield said:

So you don't think they have the ability to change their minds?  To find new information and alter their thinking?  How close minded that would be.  I am pro mask and pro vaccines but I understand that with every day that passes new information is gathered.  I bet, for example, the summer sailing season is different policy-wise than now.

Of course they have the ability to change the protocols.  However, I don't think they would have sent those emails if they were thinking in that direction at least through the Spring.

5 minutes ago, Pizzasteve said:

A good discussion.  I wish they would keep masks as required in the theater and elevators, even if they relax them at other venues.  One can properly distance at a bar or pool, for example, by choice.  However, in an elevator or once seated a disabled person might be forced into close contact with a coughing person, and it would be very difficult to exit to escape.

That's very true. And I'm not anti-mask by any means -- I think continuing to require them in places like the elevators would be perfectly reasonable. But reading about being forced to wear them during things like karaoke makes me 🙄. That's not helping anyone, I don't think. At worst, you can just not go to karaoke, and not sit 6" away from the singer or something.

• Like 3

I hope they do eventually drop the mask mandates.  I am vaccinated, boosted, and have had covid.  I am ready to get back to living normally with accepted risks.  Anyone who is fearful can wear an N95 mask and protect themselves since other people wearing masks will not provide as much protection.

Time for people to do what it takes to protect themselves in the way they see fit.  Covid is here to stay.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, famof4togo said:

I am hopeful that the actual enforcement of the sip/cover will lax 

Agreed. Sip/cover has got to be the most ridiculous protocol. So you can be mask-free at the MDR for an hour or two, but as soon as you stand up...Hey, put that face diaper on. Beyond silly.

• Like 21

2 minutes ago, mitghmbe said:

Agreed. Sip/cover has got to be the most ridiculous protocol. So you can be mask-free at the MDR for an hour or two, but as soon as you stand up...Hey, put that face diaper on. Beyond silly.

Pee section in a pool is what I call that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

1 hour ago, crazy4themouse said:

That makes sense. But then, I wonder why they wouldn't just wait until March 1st and say, "Masks are no longer required, effective immediately." Would eliminate the likely non-compliance between now and then, possibly.

Maybe it gives people advance notice if they would NOT want to cruise without masks (not me personally) but it would give them time to cancel/reschedule, if they were uncomfortable with that.  I think it's a good idea to give advance notice anytime a policy a person booked under is changing.

• Like 2

I might be in the minority, but I am glad my next sailing is before CCL may changes their mind.  Didn't find wearing the mask too much of a hardship while inside the ship 2 weeks ago.   Sip and cover didn't bother me.  Even though fully vacced and boosted,  I would rather be safe than sick.

• Like 15

2 minutes ago, pe4all said:

I might be in the minority, but I am glad my next sailing is before CCL may changes their mind.  Didn't find wearing the mask too much of a hardship while inside the ship 2 weeks ago.   Sip and cover didn't bother me.  Even though fully vacced and boosted,  I would rather be safe than sick.

My understanding is NCL is not banning masks, you're free to wear one if you wish. Nobody is going to be forced to wear them after March 1 however.

Personally I think it is well past time to move on and make masks optional. Those that want to wear them can wear them all they want. Those that don't, shouldn't be forced to.

• Like 20

2 minutes ago, pe4all said:

I seriously doubt you are in the minority. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

Just now, mz-s said:

Personally I think it is well past time to move on and make masks optional. Those that want to wear them can wear them all they want. Those that don't, shouldn't be forced to.

Our Gov. is making a decision on state mask mandate for indoor public places tomorrow.  My feeling is she will lift the mandate.  Our rates here in NY nosedived down again - may be because people just aren't getting tested anymore.  Once CCL makes a decision to get rid of masks, go for it!  That is what optional means.  Until then, we all have to go along with the rules.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hapytobehr said:

I guess you didn't read everything closely. They left themselves an out in there with the verbiage. Don't be surprised to see them exercise it. They simply can't afford not to. 

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

I hope Carnival makes a decision soon so I'll have more options. I want to take a cruise in May and right now, I'll probably book NCL based on their mask policy. If someone is concerned or high risk (but then why would they be cruising?), they can wear the N95 masks. 

• Like 9