NCL making masks optional as of March 1st -- Think Carnival might follow suit?

crazy4themouse

2 minutes ago, HxFx said:

I hope Carnival makes a decision soon so I'll have more options. I want to take a cruise in May and right now, I'll probably book NCL based on their mask policy. If someone is concerned or high risk (but then why would they be cruising?), they can wear the N95 masks. 

I think this policy will have all the other lines looking closely at NCL. It's going to be a domino effect in my opinion.

• Like 6

I don't care at all about the mask, I care about the stupid testing requirement.  It's truly pointless because you could walk on that ship infected anyways.  The testing is such a hassle and extra cost for some so it should be dropped! It's all just ceremony at this point for who puts on the best show of "safety"...lol

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, HxFx said:

I hope Carnival makes a decision soon so I'll have more options. I want to take a cruise in May and right now, I'll probably book NCL based on their mask policy. If someone is concerned or high risk (but then why would they be cruising?), they can wear the N95 masks. 

This! My kids like the kids club on Carnival a LOT but we'll cruise with NCL if they are the only ones to stand up. My kids will be so happy when they hear the news later today. They were so disappointed that we weren't able to cruise over the holidays and cancelled our April cruise. Like Jason Aldean said - "We Back"!!!!!

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

27 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

It will be interesting to see if there is an uptick in upper respiratory ailments and noro on cruises. Back to the good old days. 😐

maybe colds and flu cases will come back too? Hope reigns eternal?

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

53 minutes ago, famof4togo said:

The tides be a turnin'

yup and I hope the TESTING tides turn soon or at least go back to 72 hours.

I think in the end, cruiselines monitor each other and follow each other as much as possible and to play nicey nicey with the CDC.   

Let us hope in the late fall we do not have another round of a new variant that wrecks havoc with crusing.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, hapytobehr said:

Of course they have the ability to change the protocols.  However, I don't think they would have sent those emails if they were thinking in that direction at least through the Spring.

They made that statement to stop so many people booking with the hopes the protocols would end and then cancelling a few weeks before the cruise date when they didn't. The language "Until further notice" was included with their press release to allow for changes at any time.

Cruise line CEO's have all said they want the mask mandate to end first, whenever that would be safely possible, as this rule, like on planes, causes the most friction between fellow passengers and the crew.   

• Like 6

Carnival wasn't "Fascist" about the masks the cruise we just returned from.  For the most part people complied.  My wife left the room without it several times and no one said anything.  They would politely offer you one if you forgot it but not a single employee ever told anyone that I saw to "pull it up" or whatever.

They were however hyper vigilant at keeping the bathrooms "clean".

If you don't want to get sick, the #1 most effective way is to wash your hands after touching any foreign surface and before you touch your face.  If you can't wash them, use hand sanitizer.  Sadly, in the restrooms, there are many people I would intentionally avoid because they didn't wash their hands when they left.  Thankfully all of the doors on the Mardi Gras in public spaces were automatic.

Me personally, I used to teach food safe sanitation.  Hand washing will prevent more things from spreading than any mask or vaccine.

Edited by MerIin
  • Like 8

I can't tell you how many people I saw sneeze or cough into their hands at the buffet a week ago , then go up and pick up a serving utensil.  No matter if is covid, noro, flu, etc., cruise ships will always be a bacteria festival. You just try to stay as healthy as possible while getting maximum enjoyment on your cruise.

Edited by pe4all
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, bgrmini said:

This is so unrelated to the discussion here, you can't even call it a tangent! Wow. SMH.

Depends on one's opinion on how much the media factors into the mass's hysteria / sheep like behavior.  

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, 1kaper said:

Did they go away?  

I’ve been doing this whole thing wrong. 

Nope, my youngest has gotten five colds since school started, older kids two or three, all not covid (or tested negative anyway, could be false negatives I suppose). All while vaccinated/boosted, received flu shots and masked lol. Colds happen. It's part of life. 

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, pe4all said:

I can't tell you how many people I saw sneeze or cough into their hands at the buffet a week ago , then go up and pick up a serving utensil.  No matter if is covid, noro, flu, etc., cruise ships will always be a bacteria festival. You just try to stay as healthy as possible while getting maximum enjoyment on your cruise.

What gets me is the people in the stores who remove their masks to sneeze or caught. Don't want to get the mask dirty I guess..lol. 😝

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pizzasteve said:

Please dont use disrespectful words like face diaper.  It is insulting and offensive to me.  The idea of feces and mouth makes me want to vomit, literally, and I think you should show more respect for doctors and medical professionals who advise using equipment essential to medical prevention of disease for over a century.  This irrational hatred is political and intentional effort to trigger by people by abusing a pandemic to gather mobs for political purposes.  Follow the guidance of those who actually know about disease and its spread with respect.

PS.  It is ironic that people are so eager to lower standards when case rates are still up at peak surge levels considered horrible during the first year of Covid.  We are nowhere near a reasonable death rate, case level yet, though thankfully declining fast.

If people would just stop opposing our medical professionals we would be in much better shape to agree we can move forward with ordinary life, but we are just not there due to the number of cases contributing to varients, though hopefully milder ones.

Not to mention the number of countries that wear masks on a regular basis due to respect for others and air quality. I was supposed to be in China a couple years ago and had already purchased multiple masks for the trip, because it was going to be at the height of my spring allergies, and according to my cultural training that was required by my company before going, sneezing = sick = masks. And then COVID hit and I needed those masks anyway! 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mbarker10 said:

Not to mention the number of countries that wear masks on a regular basis due to respect for others and air quality. I was supposed to be in China a couple years ago and had already purchased multiple masks for the trip, because it was going to be at the height of my spring allergies, and according to my cultural training that was required by my company before going, sneezing = sick = masks. And then COVID hit and I needed those masks anyway! 

Cruises will continue to have to follow protocols in port which still include masks in many.

• Like 4