NCL making masks optional as of March 1st -- Think Carnival might follow suit?

crazy4themouse

1 hour ago, Pizzasteve said:

Actually its 100k for the synthetic opiate, and about 500k for Covid, but both are serious health issues we should address.  Sadly we cant vaccinate easily to prevent addiction.

PS Exiting what is likely to become what is another useless thread of complaints.  Be well all.

On the way to a million in the US for covid over 2 years. Maybe a million forthe  hijack drug over two decades.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Terrible point, horrible in fact. This is America Jack, we want nothing to do with autocratic dictatorships, social credit, repression of individuality or anything close to what China is. It's quite literally unbelievable that anyone would even bring this up as a defense for wearing masks. It's so offensive to any American's sensibility that it borders on outrageous. Good grief. Maybe China is a better fit for you but bringing China's form of government/communism here is a nonstarter. Flabbergasted is an understatement.    

lol ok. I wasn't even discussing China's bureaucratic state; it's more of a sentiment of the people than anything. Masks were common in Thailand when I was there, and Vietnam as well. This was years ago.

Edited by mbarker10
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Scotto97 said:

I cannot agree enough - While I respect other people's beliefs and their right to speak them, this way of thinking is certainly becoming more popular than I would hope for.....If you watch the Olympics, you can see China's influence is growing by the minute. An American teenager renounced her citizenship and just won a Gold Medal for China. I guess people are no longer thankful or proud to be American. 

Y’all are wild. I am not even talking about anything related to politics. It was a point about how many parts of the world wear masks just when they feel sick or because of the air quality. There is zero positive sentiment towards China or communism. The mask wearing is not related to politics in literally in any way - I reiterate that many countries I have been to wear masks for varying reasons - none of which has to do with their government telling them to. I was not even considering their politics when I was thinking about the mask comparison. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, mbarker10 said:

Y’all are wild. I am not even talking about anything related to politics. It was a point about how many parts of the world wear masks just when they feel sick or because of the air quality. There is zero positive sentiment towards China or communism. The mask wearing is not related to politics in literally in any way - I reiterate that many countries I have been to wear masks for varying reasons - none of which has to do with their government telling them to. I was not even considering their politics when I was thinking about the mask comparison. 

It doesn't matter to some people. They will spin anything to spew their political rants.

• Like 8

Also I proudly served my country and those tours in other countries led me to be aware of culture differences, differences which I was trained to be respectful of and was not related to politics. I literally mentioned cultural sensitivity training in my example. 

the Chinese people, for example, don’t consider mask wearing to be political. And neither did Thailand. Or Vietnam. Maybe it got that way because of politics, I don’t know. But it was very clearly explained as a matter of respect to those around me. 

Edited by mbarker10
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Sure is interesting to read threads such as this one. There are those that are grateful, those that are sad the control is going by the wayside, and the sprinkling of others somewhere between the two.  

Edited by bucfan2
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, famof4togo said:

Ya know equal if not more #'s have died from Fentanyl overdoses in the last year or two....how about the news and those looking to obsess over something take up that stand...

Patently absurd statement.  Fentanyl deaths in the US last year were about a hundred thousand.  Covid did that in a couple of months.  The misinformation you spread in your posts is dangerous.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Documentation of Recovery consists of the following:

Paper or electronic copies of the positive viral test result from a certified laboratory (dated no more than 90 days ago), and

A signed letter, on official letterhead that contains the name, address, and phone number of a licensed healthcare provider or public health official, stating that the individual has been cleared to end isolation, is at least 10 days past their positive test result date, and can travel. The letter should include the date of the positive test and patient identifiers such as name and date of birth that match the passport or other travel documents.

Guests who present these documents will need to go through secondary screening at the terminal and boarding will be approved at the medical staff’s discretion.

If guests are not able to obtain documentation of recovery that fulfills the above requirements, they will need to take the required COVID-19 viral test and show a negative result.

There will still be additional restrictions on unvaxed on the ship and in port.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Paper or electronic copies of the positive viral test result from a certified laboratory (dated no more than 90 days ago), and

A signed letter, on official letterhead that contains the name, address, and phone number of a licensed healthcare provider or public health official, stating that the individual has been cleared to end isolation, is at least 10 days past their positive test result date, and can travel. The letter should include the date of the positive test and patient identifiers such as name and date of birth that match the passport or other travel documents.

Guests who present these documents will need to go through secondary screening at the terminal and boarding will be approved at the medical staff’s discretion.

If guests are not able to obtain documentation of recovery that fulfills the above requirements, they will need to take the required COVID-19 viral test and show a negative result.

There will still be additional restrictions on unvaxed on the ship and in port.

Yeah, still allowing unvaccinated that recovered, just as I said. 

Guests (either fully vaccinated or not) who have recovered from COVID-19 within three months of their sailing date, do not need the required pre-cruise COVID test before embarkation if they are at least 10 days past their COVID-19 infection, have no symptoms and present documentation of recovery from COVID-19 from their healthcare provider. Please visit our FAQs for complete information.

Then from the FAQ link

Will I still need a pre-cruise COVID test before embarkation if I have recently recovered from COVID-19?

Guests who have recovered from COVID-19 within 3 months of their sailing date do not need the required pre-cruise test if they are at least 10 days past their positive test result date, have no symptoms and produce documentation of recovery from COVID-19.

Documentation of Recovery is accepted for both fully vaccinated and unvaccinated guests.

• Paper or electronic copies of the positive viral test result from a certified laboratory (dated no more than 90 days ago), and
  • A signed letter, on official letterhead that contains the name, address, and phone number of a licensed healthcare provider or public health official, stating that the individual has been cleared to end isolation, is at least 10 days past their positive test result date, and can travel. The letter should include the date of the positive test and patient identifiers such as name and date of birth that match the passport or other travel documents.

• Like 1

Even if your paperwork doesn't meet all the requirements, there is an out.

I don't care that much either way I guess. I'm headed out for the Carnival Sail-A-Bration in about 3 weeks and if it's still masking indoors then okay. Honestly since you can remove them when drinking mine is nearly always off, lol. It just wasn't a huge deal so far. That said, if they do away with the requirement I'll be good with that too. Anyone who still wants to wear one can and I wouldn't give them any grief about it. And those who don't want to won't have to and no grief there either. 

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, skridge said:

I believe the cruise companies will make the decision that makes the best sense for them to stay in business.  At this point that is to keep the mask rules in place.  If they do change the policy I will be fine and still enjoy my cruise.  I will probably spend a little more time outside which will be nice.

Understand your opinion.  My opinion is dropping masks will enable them to stay in business.  We will see...good things are coming, and soon.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, skridge said:

I know plenty of people who don't wear masks that are great people.  That doesn't mean I want them on a ship with me where they refuse to abide by simple rules set out by a company to keep passengers safe.  I stand by my statement.

The only way to keep people safe is to mandate K/N-95 be masks worn properly.  Most of the cloth masks are just fashion statements!

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

The only way to keep people safe is to mandate K/N-95 be masks worn properly.  Most of the cloth masks are just fashion statements!

How do you "mandate" that?  Put people in concentration camps who got caught with an air gap? 

I think we need to take a step back and remember that up until this point, we all had to do what we thought was best for ourselves and our families with regards to illness.

Covid isn't "new" nor is the fact it mutates frequently.  There is a reason there is not a cure for the common cold.

How about we all do what we've always done and worry about ourselves?  That we take precautions we deem necessary to protect ourselves and our family's?  Why are we even discussing forcing someone else to do something when the reality is that there are thousands of diseases you can catch walking out your front door every single day, many of which are carried by humans?

Be responsible for you.  Practice good hygiene, respect the personal space and property of others - and life can go on as it always has.

Seems like common sense to me.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

NCL did not require masks until right before Christmas when numbers of cases started to increase due to omicron.  They are just returning to their previous policy since case numbers are decreasing rapidly. Carnival did not require masks except in specific locations until the omicron surge so it would be nice if they also went back to that policy if not just get rid of masks all together.

• Like 11

2 hours ago, jlabs03 said:

NCL did not require masks until right before Christmas when numbers of cases started to increase due to omicron.  They are just returning to their previous policy since case numbers are decreasing rapidly. Carnival did not require masks except in specific locations until the omicron surge so it would be nice if they also went back to that policy if not just get rid of masks all together.

Fully expecting good news, and soon.  At least 2 lines have followed NCL’s upcoming relaxation in protocols. Survival should drive others. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, dallasdan said:

I read it the new policy as if you have recovered you don't need a pre cruise covid test.  However, you still need to be vaccinated to cruise.  Correct?

Yes that is correct.  You still need to be vaccinated.  Skipping the pre cruise test is only for those that have recovered from covid in the last 3 months because you can still test positive upto 3 months after having covid.  You also need a doctors note stating that you are fully recovered.

Edited by jlabs03