Texting Travel Partner On Ship?

broadwaycam

I will be going on the Regal Princess next January and was wondering how you can text someone your traveling with well on the ship? Is the texting in the MedallionClass App? I know on another cruise line I was on the text feature was in the app. Any info would be appreciated. 

The medallion app allows you to text but the problem is that the receiving person neve gets any indication of a message- so it's practically useless. 

From what I understand the WhatsApp works with an audible alert and can it can call the other phone as well as long as both of you have the unlimited internet package. (Both phones must have it downloaded) 

I have yet to try it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MissP22 said:

The medallion app allows you to text but the problem is that the receiving person neve gets any indication of a message- so it's practically useless. 

From what I understand the WhatsApp works with an audible alert and can it can call the other phone as well as long as both of you have the unlimited internet package. (Both phones must have it downloaded) 

I have yet to try it. 

Even if there wasn't an immediate alert; an indication in the app that there's a message waiting would be sufficient.

Agree it's useless. I tried once. Nerd never read it; he didn't know that he should go looking for it.

2 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

I can attest to WhatsApp working well...

I hope so. 

Not that we contact each other 10 times a day but more like 2 times or so each cruise. It's really convenient to have a feature that actually works (even if only on vibrate mode)

MedallionNet is great. Texting between iPhones with iMessage was not a problem when we sailed in 2018. We were able to text back to California whenever we wanted while on the ship or docked in the Western Caribbean. I don't know about other phones other than Apple.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the tip on WhatsApp. Honestly, I had never heard of it before. I was using iMessage with the kids on our last cruise but my husband has an Android so I'm glad to hear there's an alternative. I just downloaded it. You've got to love Cruise Critic for all the good stuff you learn!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mellon1 said:

Does that mean that all passenger names are accessible to find and text to while on the ship?  Also, is there still someone in the internet area to help with phones as I have no idea what to do!  

Go to Internet Cafe when there are posted hours.  Technically, they are there to support MedallionNet function and connectivity, so don't expect to get help with other Apps like WhatsApp, FaceTime, etc, etc.

3 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Go to Internet Cafe when there are posted hours.  Technically, they are there to support MedallionNet function and connectivity, so don't expect to get help with other Apps like WhatsApp, FaceTime, etc, etc.

That's probably so since their versed on just their own system.

At least they can get your phones connected to the MedallionNet system if nothing else and it you have the WhatsApp loaded on both phones there shouldn't be any problems.

Get to the Internet Cafe when they first open since there's always a long line.

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I suggest downloading WhatsApp before you cruise and getting familiar with it. It's excellent and very easy to use.

My husband loaded it onto both our android phones a few weeks ago & we tested it the other day just to get use to it. 

It's slightly different but not difficult to use. We tried texting, sending audio clips to each other & using it for video calls without any problems.

I'll be happy to be using it for a text messages on the ship that has an audible tone when received. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MissP22 said:

My husband loaded it onto both our android phones a few weeks ago & we tested it the other day just to get use to it. 

It's slightly different but not difficult to use. We tried texting, sending audio clips to each other & using it for video calls without any problems.

I'll be happy to be using it for a text messages on the ship that has an audible tone when received. 

Good to know.

9 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Thanks for the tip.  

3 minutes ago, mellon1 said:

Is it free on land too with Verizon?

I don't have Verizon.

With T-Mobile there's no charge (AT HOME) since I have unlimited calls & text messaging. 

I'm guessing that if you had service in the Caribbean with any carrier there would be a charge since you roaming & using their equipment.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.