Excursions quality

islandchick

I am new to Regent and have been reading the many threads that mention excursions by Regent. Many of them seem to be negative. We are usually very independent travelers even on cruises, but on our transatlantic to Spain I have booked several Regent excursions including some premium paid for excursions, most are food and wine tours. I would like to hear your about your experiences either good or bad so I can decide whether I want to keep these excursions or do something independently. 

The food and wine paid extra tours tend to be great.  I would definitely keep them. We did one in Italy where we walked through a couple of markets with the chef then had an amazing multi course lunch in a restaurant that was open only for our group.  that was some of the best food I have ever eaten.  And a good value considering the quality of the food and wine. 

The tours to avoid are anything labelled "panoramic"--code for bus tour.  We try to get the smaller group tours when possible. 

• Like 2

I agree with Rachel that the paid extra food and wine tours tend to be great and that where possible pay for the small group tours. We found that they are worth the extra cost. 

I find overall the included excursions are good to very good but like everything else you can always get a bad one, and we have had some of those. Mind you, i have had crappy private tours as well. 

Enjoy your cruise and tours. 

• Like 2

Excursions are a mixed bag. For the most part, they range from decent to great, but like everything else you can get some real dogs.  This holds true for both the included tours and the "Regent choice" ones you pay extra for. I agree with the comment about avoiding "panoramic" tours unless you have mobility issues.

One thing I've noticed is that there seems to be an inverse relationship between the popularity of the port overall and the quality of the tours. I think it's likely because the excursions in the more popular ports are all run by the same vendors and they've been stripped of originality in order to keep to the formula. Some of the best excursions I've been on have been in ports where there is limited tourism infrastructure, and so your guide may well be a moonlighting school teacher or someone else who can give you a real look at life in the area. In that regard, look for the "go local" excursions, which Regent has building up lately (though this has likely taken a hit from covid like so many other things).

Even in the most generic excursions, however, the one thing Regent rarely does is over-pack the tour. So you have plenty of room to spread out.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We've had a problem twice with the Small Group tours, which cost extra and are supposed to be limited to 16 people. Read the small print. If you have to take a boat, or you go to a restaurant, everyone else on the other excursions might still be with you. And they might follow, and stay close to your tour guide that you've paid extra for so that you would have a more personal experience.

We had this happen to us on the West coast of Italy, as well as on Borneo. We didn't complain, but if it happens ago, I will.

We also have had a small group experience on a long expensive excursion that wasn't limited to 16, but ended up with only 18. It was an all day excursion to Florence and it was on a very hot day, preceded by a number of other hot days. I suspect some cancelled, but living in Florida all year, it was comfortable for us. Halfway through our excursion, we stopped for ice cream. At that point, 10 of those on our excursion asked to return to the ship due to the heat. It was at their own expense, but they all left. We had a great time for the rest of the day with only 8 and our wonderful guide. She pointed us to a great local restaurant on our way back to the bus with a few hours left on our own. We stopped there with 2 other couples and had a delicious lunch at an very reasonable price. We also had time to explore Basilica of Santa Maria Novella on our own which we really enjoyed, near our meeting spot at an air conditioned store with clean bathrooms.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SWFLAOK said:

Read the small print. If you have to take a boat, or you go to a restaurant, everyone else on the other excursions might still be with you. And they might follow, and stay close to your tour guide that you've paid extra for so that you would have a more personal experience.

What do you mean by read the small print? 

I am booked on a Tokyo-Tokyo cruise in 2023 on Regent. I did notice that some excursions listed both in the included and extra pay for were basically the same. My husband and I would prefer to be in a small group as we are usually independent travellers. Hopefully we won't feel like we get crowded out by others joining our tour group informally.

Another query about excursions. We are likely to choose those with more strenuous level of activity with walking around etc. Are Regent likely to ensure that people who sign up for these excursions are capable of them? On a few excursions I have done with Seabourn they did allow some who struggled with stairs and walking distances even though the excursion was designated strenuous. This meant the whole group got slowed down a lot and meant either skipping or reducing time spent at places.

Why we have now gone independent tours and why I haven't travelled with Regent previously as didn't want to risk this again. Japan is a bit intimidating to tour independently to me and Explorer looks beautiful so thought we would test the waters. 

• Like 1

Well the small print on the Small Group Excursion says that not all parts of your "small group" excursion will be limited to 16 people. And they aren't. If you don't mind having a larger number of people joining your excursion, than just book the regular tour, avoiding the extra expense.

As for Regent enforcing anything when it comes to those who have signed up for an excursion that is more strenuous than they can handle, they don't do that at all. It's actually been our biggest disappointment about Regent. They provide excursions that are panoramic, and meant for those that have mobility problems. But that doesn't stop people from taking excursions that are not recommended for those with mobility problems. They will be seated in the front 2 or 3 rows, where they will arrive last and complain that they weren't given a ride to the bus from the ship. And we need to wait for stowing  oftheir walkers outside by the bus driver. And they will be the first people standing to get off the bus, and holding up everyone else while they wait for assistance from the bus driver to get off the bus, and to retrieve their walkers. I was hoping not to remember that from our previous cruises, but that's how it's been.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Our experience of the Regent "go local" tours (those with the globe icon)  has been excellent.  For example, last November we specifically chose the walking tour in Istanbul as we'd been to the city several times and didn't want to revisit the bazaar etc.   Just ten of us had an excellent walk through "ordinary" streets and enjoyed a typical Saturday morning as lived by the locals - we used the Regent app with our phones and highly recommend this style of tour if it's available.  I blogged about it here if you're interested.  Of course, it's no good whatsoever if you want to visit the major attractions.

• Like 5

islandchick, I think there must be some unwritten law in the travel universe that says wherever you go, you will have one over-the-top outstanding tour guide, one not-so-terrific guide and the rest who are just fine! On our Regent Middle East Cruise (Barcelona to Dubai, Oct./Nov. 2019) we experienced all the various Regent tour offerings – free, Regent Choice, Small Group and Overnight – and that theory continued to hold true. I would recommend choosing excursions that require an additional fee for places that especially interest you or offer something that you wouldn't be able to do on your own. They also tend to run longer and often include a meal at a local venue. And if you typically enjoy independent touring, I wholeheartedly agree with @RachelGto avoid panorama excursions.

Here are several stories & photos that will give you an idea of what to expect from Regent excursions. The Petra & Wadi Rum excursion was a Regent Choice (additional fee); Salalah was free; and Luxor was an overnight.

https://www.themodernpostcard.com/walking-into-petra-jordans-radiant-rose-red-city/

https://www.themodernpostcard.com/wadi-rum-a-journey-through-the-desert-dancing-in-the-moonlight/

https://www.themodernpostcard.com/salalah-oman-land-of-frankincense/

https://www.themodernpostcard.com/luxor-at-last-karnak-temple-luxor-temple-a-milestone-celebration/

Best of luck with your plans!

Mary

Travel Blog: www.themodernpostcard.com

• Like 4

When we were younger and traveled around the world, by train, bus, plane or simply walking….so we understand all your complaints about folks who have limited physical abilities, holding up a tour. 
Now, we are older with physical limitations. We have limited our travel to cruises on Regent only. Wherever possible, we book tours that are panoramic or handicapped accessible. And, we are not alone. 
I suggest next time you are checking Regent tours, check a port and see if there are any listed. I can assure you if there is one…we would book it. However, for our next three cruises in the Caribbean, we were lucky to find a total of one or two for each. So,we do book the easiest looking tour we can find. We wish more would be offered, for my sake and yours. 
Most times it works out. I will remain on the vehicle if the stop is not conducive for me. We have seen some folks in worse condition, attempt to climb up to a viewing site, and hold up everyone. 
I do sit in the front… in a handicapped seat. We wait until everyone has gotten off the bus and then get up. No one is going anywhere until we all disembark. We try not to inconvenience anyone. 
I get annoyed also.. it takes me a while to get to the bus. Sometimes a perfectly healthy person is sitting in a handicapped seat. I request the seat. Most often, the person becomes angry and says no.

I don’t think you are suggesting we shouldn’t travel. I don’t think you are suggesting we shouldn’t  tour. I hope you are just saying that we should be courteous to those around us. We respect that and do try our best. 
Remember…one day you will be in our place and I hope the younger passengers will be courteous to you. 
Sheila and. Herb

Edited by Bellaggio Cruisers
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

When we were younger and traveled around the world, by train, bus, plane or simply walking….so we understand all your complaints about folks who have limited physical abilities, holding up a tour. 
Now, we are older with physical limitations. We have limited our travel to cruises on Regent only. Wherever possible, we book tours that are panoramic or handicapped accessible. And, we are not alone. 
I suggest next time you are checking Regent tours, check a port and see if there are any listed. I can assure you if there is one…we would book it. However, for our next three cruises in the Caribbean, we were lucky to find a total of one or two for each. So,we do book the easiest looking tour we can find.
Most times it works out. I will remain on the vehicle if the stop is not conducive for me. We have seen some folks in worse condition, attempt to climb up to a viewing site, and hold up everyone. 
I do sit in the front… in a handicapped seat. We wait until everyone has gotten off the bus and then get up. No one is going anywhere until we all disembark. We try not to inconvenience anyone. 
I get annoyed also.. it takes me a while to get to the bus. Sometimes a perfectly healthy person is sitting in a handicapped seat. I request the seat. Most often, the person becomes angry and says no.

I don’t think you are suggesting we shouldn’t travel. I don’t think you are suggesting we shouldn’t  tour. I hope you are just saying that we should be courteous to those around us. We respect that and do try our best. 
Sheila and. Herb

People sitting in seats reserved for people with disabilities really burns me. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

People sitting in seats reserved for people with disabilities really burns me. 

In 40 years of cruising the last 20 done with a mobility problem the only ships’ tour where some one refused to give up a handicapped seat for me was on the Regent Mariner’s 2011 circle South America. Kindly a couple several rows back gave up their seats for us so we would not have to struggle to the back of the bus. Still Regent is our favorite line.

A hint…..If you don’t want to share a tour with Someone using a walker or wheel chair, be sure to pick one that says it can’t accommodate these aids. Like Shelia, I will wait on the bus if the tour turns to be more than I can handle with canes but my  husband still will go with the group.

I look for interesting sounding tours that will take a wheelchair and I talk to the ship’s tour people about the tour as we don’t usually do the the strictly big bus tours.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

Sheila and Herb, please believe me that I absolutely are not suggesting people who are older or disabled shouldn't travel. As a retired nurse I am a firm believer in people getting out and doing things while the can. You sound very caring and responsible and courteous to others. 

It is more of an issue when people won't accept their limitations and therefore it impacts on others on the tour. For example I did a tour group to see the Etruscan tombs near Tarquinia. Because you need too climb multiple stairs in and out of the tombs plus walking on uneven surfaces to get to the tombs it was listed as extremely strenuous. Some on the tour found it very difficult, some decided to sit it out but others continued which made accessing the sites very slow. This meant we had to cut short the time to visit the Etruscan museum in Tarquinia so we literally had to hurry from room to room to see what we wanted to see. By the way there is no lifts at the museum and lots of slippery, old steps so some people weren't able to access even that.

I did feel sorry for these people as they also missed out on getting what they paid for in the end. I am not sure I am expressing myself well but thinking about how decisions impact on others is the key. On that note, people who choose to sit in the front seats when they don't need them and refuse to move for people who do, are extremely discourteous.

• Like 1

I do not move very quickly myself, but in the past i traveled with my aunt and wife who had mobility problems.  We mainly did sign up for the easier tours, but I wonder if there is a way that when there are multiple buses on a tour if one could be offered for those with mobility concerns.  Hopefully they could have an understanding guide (one who does not jog from point to point) and admit that some places on the tour may be called short if needed due to delays.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Scout16 said:

I wonder if there is a way that when there are multiple buses on a tour if one could be offered for those with mobility concerns.  Hopefully they could have an understanding guide (one who does not jog from point to point) and admit that some places on the tour may be called short if needed due to delays.

When I took an Emerald Waterways River cruise, I was so impressed because this is exactly how they ran their tours.  One group was designated as the slower more leisurely group.  They might not see every single thing, but it was relaxed and less strenuous.  Wish we saw that on ocean cruises.

• Like 1

We are on the Splendor right now and are also slowing down physically. The excursions are rated well and the guides have assisted us as needed

One even called me Mama! 

One problem is the little 6 or 8 seat vans where you have to get up a high step and then climb to the back.

Some days we just enjoy the ship!!!

1 hour ago, 2012_Alaska_bound said:

When I took an Emerald Waterways River cruise, I was so impressed because this is exactly how they ran their tours.  One group was designated as the slower more leisurely group.  They might not see every single thing, but it was relaxed and less strenuous.  Wish we saw that on ocean cruises.

Absolutely agree… it’s up to Regent to recognize our situation. They should attempt to create one tour per port that would suit our slower physical needs.

It would resolve our issues and would resolve it for the complainers. 
BTW… I would hope that everyone who wrote on this board would speak to Regent folks regarding us!

56 minutes ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

Absolutely agree… it’s up to Regent to recognize our situation. They should attempt to create one tour per port that would suit our slower physical needs.

It would resolve our issues and would resolve it for the complainers. 
BTW… I would hope that everyone who wrote on this board would speak to Regent folks regarding us!

They should also have more then 3/4 accessible cabins per ship...especially given their target market. It makes no sense...how hard is it to add the accessible features?

4 hours ago, Pcardad said:

They should also have more then 3/4 accessible cabins per ship...especially given their target market. It makes no sense...how hard is it to add the accessible features?

I do not know how many folks need an accessible cabin…. That is not one of my issues. I am sure they must know if they need more, based on their sales. 
But, there are many us that need more accessible tours. I wish they would read this. 

We've found the Regent excursions to be high quality.  The basic excursion is on a bus with probably 40-50 people, less if the ships not full.  We've only had one poor tour guide, he really didn't speak English and was just using the bus to get a lift to Leon.   The tour guides in Japan were phenomenal, they took the job very seriously.

There are private 1/2 & full day tours.  

In most ports they provide a ride into town so you can tour on your own (be aware of Covid restrictions).  If I were looking for a culinary experience in Spain I would probably do it on my own.  The Spaniards eat late so be sure you have enough time to get back to the ship.

Many people set up their own private tours which are cheaper but if they don't get back in time you'll be waving the ship goodbye.  They only wait if its their excursion thats late.

Oh one problem with Regent excursions is that if its a port with really only one main tourist sight (Hiroshima) all the buses descend on the location at once and it can be very crowded.

Edited by RetiredandTravel
added update
  • Like 1