Excursions quality

islandchick

On 2/11/2022 at 2:25 PM, cwn said:

In 40 years of cruising the last 20 done with a mobility problem the only ships’ tour where some one refused to give up a handicapped seat for me was on the Regent Mariner’s 2011 circle South America. Kindly a couple several rows back gave up their seats for us so we would not have to struggle to the back of the bus. Still Regent is our favorite line.

A hint…..If you don’t want to share a tour with Someone using a walker or wheel chair, be sure to pick one that says it can’t accommodate these aids. Like Shelia, I will wait on the bus if the tour turns to be more than I can handle with canes but my  husband still will go with the group.

I look for interesting sounding tours that will take a wheelchair and I talk to the ship’s tour people about the tour as we don’t usually do the the strictly big bus tours.

We have never taken the handicap seats set aside in the front of the bus, and would never do that. But on Regent, almost all excursions accommodate walkers, even if they say the excursion is not recommended for those with mobility issues. And most will take a folding wheelchair as well if someone shows up with one. But we have seen people with mobility issues on tours where it was not recommended show up at the bus, and expect the bus driver to lift their legs to get into and out of the bus after stowing their walker. They have had a companion with them, but they were unable or unwilling to help with that. In one case, the bus driver was significantly older than the obese passenger who needed assistance, and whose husband headed off for the excursion without her at each stop.

As someone else mentioned, I would like to see a excursion buses set aside for those who really need assistance. Some of Regents younger crew should be provided on the bus to help everyone on and off. With the cost of Regent cruises, there's no reason to charge extra for those who need an excursion where extra help is provided.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SWFLAOK said:

…….. But on Regent, almost all excursions accommodate walkers, even if they say the excursion is not recommended for those with mobility issues. And most will take a folding wheelchair as well if someone shows up with one. But we have seen people with mobility issues on tours where it was not recommended show up at the bus, and expect the bus driver to lift their legs to get into and out of the bus after stowing their walker. They have had a companion with them, but they were unable or unwilling to help with that. In one case, the bus driver was significantly older than the obese passenger who needed assistance, and whose husband headed off for the excursion without her at each stop.

As someone else mentioned, I would like to see a excursion buses set aside for those who really need assistance. Some of Regents younger crew should be provided on the bus to help everyone on and off. With the cost of Regent cruises, there's no reason to charge extra for those who need an excursion where extra help is provided.

I just finished booking tours for a Nov cruise. I was referring to the tours that that state the tour can’t accommodate wheelchair passengers. There usually are one or two tours in ever port only available for the more active passengers. But if you do a tour marked with a seated icon or a one man walking icon you will have some slower folks with you.

19 hours ago, cwn said:

I just finished booking tours for a Nov cruise. I was referring to the tours that that state the tour can’t accommodate wheelchair passengers. There usually are one or two tours in ever port only available for the more active passengers. But if you do a tour marked with a seated icon or a one man walking icon you will have some slower folks with you.

Unfortunately, our experience doesn't match what we've signed up for. We normally book a tour for more active passengers, and avoid the panoramic bus for mobility impaired excursions. But they're on the excursion anyway. And once they show up at the bus, they're allowed to board, with the help of the bus driver and tour guide. And at that point, we know that our excursion will not be what we expected.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, SWFLAOK said:

Unfortunately, our experience doesn't match what we've signed up for. We normally book a tour for more active passengers, and avoid the panoramic bus for mobility impaired excursions. But they're on the excursion anyway. And once they show up at the bus, they're allowed to board, with the help of the bus driver and tour guide. And at that point, we know that our excursion will not be what we expected.

Good to know. I am now thinking rather than paying the extra charge for Regent excursions I will resort to using private tour guides again. I have read some good blogs for Japan with useful tips.

I will use the cruise to get to learn about the Explorer class ship with the thought of doing a transatlantic on one. I like the idea of the multiple dining venues and cooking classes/demonstrations.

13 hours ago, frantic36 said:

Good to know. I am now thinking rather than paying the extra charge for Regent excursions I will resort to using private tour guides again. I have read some good blogs for Japan with useful tips.

I will use the cruise to get to learn about the Explorer class ship with the thought of doing a transatlantic on one. I like the idea of the multiple dining venues and cooking classes/demonstrations.

Again, our basic Regent excursions in Japan were excellent.  All but one tour guide (the only average excursion) were Japanese women (many retired) who took the job very seriously.  They were timely, knowledgeable, funny and extremely well prepared.  Many of the "free" excursions in Japan require a good deal of walking or steps, we didn't see any people with mobility issues.  The "free" excursions are on buses with 40+ people.

If we did it again we'd probably get a private tour for Hiroshima that left early.  All the buses arrived at the museum at the same time, because of this we didn't get a complete museum experience.

IMO the Tokyo tower is a miss, the Baskin Robins ice cream was the highlight.

There is also an excursion that says you can see Mt Fuji.  We couldn't and a man at the beach said you could only see it 25% of the time.  If you want to see Mt Fuji get one that goes closer.

Awesome restaurants in Tokyo.

14 hours ago, frantic36 said:

I am now thinking rather than paying the extra charge for Regent excursions I will resort to using private tour guides again

Do not discount the 'free' (included) Regent excursions. They are often very good and we have enjoyed many memorable tours with Regent in the Far East.

• Like 7

41 minutes ago, RetiredandTravel said:

The "free" excursions are on buses with 40+ people.

In pre Covid times we were rarely on a bus of 40+ people.  Most of our included excursions have been on regular Greyhound type buses that were about 2/3 full. Many times my DH and I could easily sit separately so we both had window seats. 

• Like 5

I can count on one hand the number of bad excursions we've had on Regent.  Most are good, at least as good as what you'd get if you booked it yourself (also a crap shoot) and many are better.  Many are excellent.  And some are special tours that very few people in the world are lucky enough to be able to do...the 'Private Tour of the Vatican' comes to mind.

My advice?  Book the included tours that matter to you, and if you have any 'must do, must see' things, book private.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 1982CruzStart said:

In pre Covid times we were rarely on a bus of 40+ people.  Most of our included excursions have been on regular Greyhound type buses that were about 2/3 full. Many times my DH and I could easily sit separately so we both had window seats. 

Our Japan cruise was 100% full as were most of the excursion buses, maybe a couple empty seats.  There were 4 seats across and I'm guessing 10-15 rows.

The prior cruise the buses were probably 30-70% full.  

And something else to keep in mind - don't book a cruise specifically for ONE PORT or ONE EXCURSION - we were on a cruise once sailing out of Venice - the first port was Trieste and we couldn't dock due to swell and wind, and one guy had pretty much a complete meltdown - he was begging the captain to do anything, send a tender ashore, anything - he had booked that entire trip specifically to go to Trieste to see some long-lost family member or something.  Of course there was nothing the crew could do for him and he was completely crushed.  I'm sure it ruined the entire vacation for him.

We've missed several ports in the past and while I was a little disappointed, it wasn't a major catastrophe for me.  I'd hate to book something like that and miss the one thing I absolutely wanted to do.  Hell, if it's that important, book a flight and do your thing...don't rely on a cruise ship!

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst, I guess.  🙂

• Like 7

50 minutes ago, UUNetBill said:

don't book a cruise specifically for ONE PORT or ONE EXCURSION

Thank you to everyone for your reassurance.

Bill this is very much a fact of life for cruising but a good reminder. We hoped to get to Madagascar one cruise but with two hurricanes bearing down we had to divert. So at some point I will take a direct flight from here (Perth) to Mauritius then a flight to Madagascar and explore that way.

6 hours ago, RetiredandTravel said:

If we did it again we'd probably get a private tour for Hiroshima that left early.  All the buses arrived at the museum at the same time, because of this we didn't get a complete museum experience.

Thank you for your tips and I will definitely organise a private guide for Hiroshima. This is an area I would like to have more time experiencing and reflecting.

Just as an aside, the puppies in my picture are my Japanese Spitz. Unfortunately they both passed in the last 18 months due to age. We now have a 4 month old who has the same gentle, loving nature. Though I did forget how tiring a puppy can be.

IMG_5664.thumb.jpeg.fb3beca4f292743074be502035ae19cd.jpeg

7 hours ago, 1982CruzStart said:

We haven't been on 60 passenger buses on the excursions that we've taken on Regent, except in one port in Alaska. And having a lot of extra rows available to sit separately has been very rare. The number of buses that arrive for an excursion will be based on how many people have signed up. If there's a lot of room on an excursion, there will be one less bus. There's a chance of fewer people being on a bus if you're on a small ship like Navigator, and they still have enough for 1 bus for a free excursion, or if you pay for an expensive excursion as we did in Florence on Voyager. 

On 2/14/2022 at 5:41 PM, SWFLAOK said:

we too have had this experience more times than I like to remember.  When ever it happens, as the person who can barely walk 20 ft boards the bus, I can hear my husband say "oh no" in my ear.  And usually when we get to the destination, we just take off on our own if that is possible.  

Not saying disabled people or people with mobility issues shouldn't take excursions.  But they should be responsible in choosing ones which are realistic for their mobility status. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, RachelG said:

we too have had this experience more times than I like to remember.  When ever it happens, as the person who can barely walk 20 ft boards the bus, I can hear my husband say "oh no" in my ear.  And usually when we get to the destination, we just take off on our own if that is possible.  

Not saying disabled people or people with mobility issues shouldn't take excursions.  But they should be responsible in choosing ones which are realistic for their mobility status. 

We are very responsible….We will always book the easiest tour for us. However, if you will check, all to often, there are no tours offered for those of us who are limited mobility. We do our best not to slow anyone down.

We are realistic and will stay on the bus if the stop seems difficult. 
I wish those like us would be as sensitive to the needs of folks like you.
 I do grow weary of those who criticize us, without knowing all the facts. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

We are very responsible….We will always book the easiest tour for us. However, if you will check, all to often, there are no tours offered for those of us who are limited mobility. We do our best not to slow anyone down.

We are realistic and will stay on the bus if the stop seems difficult. 
I wish those like us would be as sensitive to the needs of folks like you.
 I do grow weary of those who criticize us, without knowing all the facts. 

Don't worry - there are many of us who will come to your immediate defense if anyone is impolite or intolerant. There is that 1% everywhere who think they are better than others....I can only hope one day they too are in the same position.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

Don't worry - there are many of us who will come to your immediate defense if anyone is impolite or intolerant. There is that 1% everywhere who think they are better than others....I can only hope one day they too are in the same position.

Thanks so much for your support. One day they will either be in my position or dead…

I wish some of the folks who wrote insensitive comments in this topic should go back and read what they said. Instead of being helpful..they are really hurtful. But, they probably didn’t even realize what they said. 
Sheila

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

Thanks so much for your support. One day they will either be in my position or dead…

I wish some of the folks who wrote insensitive comments in this topic should go back and read what they said. Instead of being helpful..they are really hurtful. But, they probably didn’t even realize what they said. 
Sheila

I am certainly not trying to be hurtful.  I truly appreciate that you are responsible in your choice of excursions.  I think there are probably some people who never even read the description of the excursion or its physical activity requirements. 

And while some say they will just stay on the bus if the excursion gets too difficult, in a lot of places that isn't even an option.  The bus goes to an entirely different location to park and doesn't come back until the excursion is over. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RachelG said:

I am certainly not trying to be hurtful.  I truly appreciate that you are responsible in your choice of excursions.  I think there are probably some people who never even read the description of the excursion or its physical activity requirements. 

And while some say they will just stay on the bus if the excursion gets too difficult, in a lot of places that isn't even an option.  The bus goes to an entirely different location to park and doesn't come back until the excursion is over. 

There are some folks that don’t pay attention to anything. Not just for disability… for hogging a chair at the pool, for pushing ahead to be first online etc. There are people that don’t read descriptions of anything….put yourself in my shoes..if you can. How would you feel..if you were reading some of the stuff written on this subject…and, you are not alone. You may not be trying to be hurtful but…….

Edited by Bellaggio Cruisers

1 hour ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

There are some folks that don’t pay attention to anything. Not just for disability… for hogging a chair at the pool, for pushing ahead to be first online etc. There are people that don’t read descriptions of anything….put yourself in my shoes..if you can. How would you feel..if you were reading some of the stuff written on this subject…and, you are not alone. You may not be trying to be hurtful but…….

I certainly hope my comments were in no way hurtful, I was just pointing out that the Japan excursions were strenuous.  When we see people with mobility concerns we often comment about how they are inspirational and courageous.  I think a vast majority of people feel that way.

• Like 1

Seems to be a lot of varied thoughts on the subject of physical ability and excursions. Hopefully someone from Regent will see some of these posts. I would think the best thing for all concerned would be if Regent would offer a tour in each port that perhaps hit the highlights (take out the fluff) at a slower pace, specifically designed for people who may not need the panoramic tour but need a little longer for walking, etc. They could also consider putting a place for a break in the middle where there are restaurants, etc so people could sit for a little while. Seems that the demographic for Regent warrants this. Hopefully it will happen in the future. 

• Like 2

To clarify based on what I read last night...

I do not feel any of you are the 1% nor do I believe that any of you would bully or disparage or belittle a person with a handicap or disability. However, I have seen it happen on excursions and it is, thankfully very rare. I will not stand by and allow this to happen...I will assist the person if they wish for help. I will speak up for them. My comments are specifically directed to the people who make comments from the back of the bus like "Hurry up", You don't belong here", "You are wasting our time", etc.

People with mobility issues do not have the right to ruin the excursions for others....but, more importantly, others to not have the right to bully them or to make them feel small. 

We will exercise patience and compassion for each other. Our humanity demands this.

• Like 6

29 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

To clarify based on what I read last night...

I do not feel any of you are the 1% nor do I believe that any of you would bully or disparage or belittle a person with a handicap or disability. However, I have seen it happen on excursions and it is, thankfully very rare. I will not stand by and allow this to happen...I will assist the person if they wish for help. I will speak up for them. My comments are specifically directed to the people who make comments from the back of the bus like "Hurry up", You don't belong here", "You are wasting our time", etc.

People with mobility issues do not have the right to ruin the excursions for others....but, more importantly, others to not have the right to bully them or to make them feel small. 

We will exercise patience and compassion for each other. Our humanity demands this.

Well said! 
Please note… all posts from yesterday have been removed. 
sheila

Edited by Bellaggio Cruisers

Wife and I both have mobility problems —. Her’s worse than mine. Regarding excursions, we certainly don’t want to be a drag on the group. But we also don’t want to exhaust ourselves r to experience pain. We carefully read the descriptions and in case of doubt as to suitability for us, we ask questions when we are onboard

• Like 1

And there is nothing wrong with going and staying on the bus - they do allow this. Or going and being the last off the bus and the first back on. It's no one else's business if you go just to look out the window or choose to walk 100 feet and return to your seat. It is your money, your time and your life....and your choice how you spend it. 

A few years ago, I was in China seeing the Terra Cotta Soldiers and there was a client who was obviously over-extended. People on the bus were being horrible to her and berating her to the point of it being an open argument and the guest was crying The tour guide did not get involved...so we did. We helped the client and assisted her as needed and tensions eased. But I have never been as ashamed to be a member of the human race as I was that day....unless it was the day in Thailand where a Regent transfer bus was unloading and one woman was talking too long for a boarding passenger so he tried to get on the bus and push past her in the aisle. He quickly discovered he wasn't pushing past a fellow 40 years his junior, a foot taller and 75 pounds heavier. He, after some thought, decided it was better to voluntarily leave the bus and wait his turn.

Like I said, 99% of the guests are the nicest people you could ever hope to meet and it is a pleasure and an honor to sail with them. 

• Like 5