The Daily for Saturday 02/12/2022

richwmn

By the way, all of your romance stories are so heart warming.  DH and I met, when he was married.  I had a crush on him, and my roommate reminded me, "he's married".  We met a year later, and he was single, but I was living with some chump.  We met again a year later, the chump was gone, and I was single, and the to be DH was single.  He kept showing up and staying at my house, but when i asked him if he wanted to move in, he said I didn't have enough room, what with all my cats and all.  Taxes were going up so high in my area, I sold the house and bought a bigger house, with much lower taxes, and the cats and I moved.  He showed up again, and didn't leave.  This went on for 8 years.  One day I was looking at cruises, and said this ship (the Legend) even has a chapel on it, if you decide to cruise and get married, and he stopped as he was walking by, and said that a good idea,  Why don't we get married.  I though he was kidding and then said do you know what you said, and he said yes, we should get married.  We got married in 2009,  and we are not young.  So people always think we have been together for YEARS.  Nope, we are still newly weds.  LOL.   After his head injury he lost a lot of memory.  But I wanted his brain to stay active, so I asked him a couple of dates, 1492, 1812, the significance of them, but when I said 9-9-9 (our anniversary)  he said the sign of the devil. I told him he might be right, and walked out side and cried.  There are days like that, but he is getting better.  He can remember lyrics to songs, but not seeing the artist or concert.  I try to cruise on ships he knows the layout of, so that he doesn't get lost and frustrated.  Ahk!  Sometimes life sucks, but we smile through it.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 10

@marshhawkI am so sorry for your loss. DH had a stroke in 2018 and while the after-effects are different, I totally understand what you are dealing with. Sometimes, although it is totally understandable, the focus is on the "patient" and not on their spouse. Life changes for both partners, and it can be incredibly difficult being the "strong" one. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Loving all these stories.  Not sure I agree with the Beatles "All you need is love" but add friendship and WOW!

Ups and downs today.  We've had a great local bank here and my relationship with them has grown from the Fire Department to myself to my church.  They were just taken over by an out of state bank.  I've been trying to migrate online access to the new bank.  I think it was ok for the Fire Department.  I also initially thought it was working for my own accounts but when I checked tonight my personal login brings up the church checking accounts and my bill payer stuff.  I cannot see my own checking balances or transactions; the only thing I can do is look at the bills I've paid.  UGH

I took a covid test yesterday with my county health department.  It won't get me on the ship but if I'm infected I want to know about it.  The results came back this evening (negative).  Results in under 36 hours for a free PCR test is pretty darn good.

Roy

• Like 19

So many sweet stories today!

My first date with DH was actually a double feature of Casablanca and Key Largo at one of those artsy theaters that show classic films, foreign films, etc.   

Still married 43 years later.   

In other news…whoa @Sharon in AZ

❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

• Like 15

Good evening, 

My DH and I met when I was a tourguide leading bus tours from BC to Reno and he was my bus driver (Greyhound) on a San Francisco/Reno tour. We met at the end of September, were engaged at the beginning of November and married in April. He is 13 years older than me and he was a confirmed bachelor. I'm not sure what my parents thought but they didn't say anything and we're coming up on 45 years married. We moved 8 times the first 5 years we were married (thanks to Greyhound), adopted our son in San Diego, and have had a great marriage. He is my best friend! When he had his stroke a few weeks ago the only words that came out were his full name and "My wife, Karen". 

Karen

• Like 26

4 hours ago, Suslor said:

Thanks @kazu and @USN59-79

We are grateful for  Loving vs State of Virginia.  I moved to Washington DC because because of the open attitude to mixed race couples. Met my husband four months later and we’ve been together 45 years and celebrating 40 years married this year. My father was an “Archie Bunker” type. He died two weeks before he was to come to DC to meet my DH. 

Thought I might mention something about Supreme Court decision Loving vs State of Virginia.  I had thought that the Civil Rights Act of 1964 had been the reason that laws against mixed race marriage went away.  They didn't go away until the Loving case in 1967.  At that time 15 states still had laws on the books that were then struck down.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 7

Good morning.

Pauline was an immaculately dressed gorgeous 16 year old and I was 22 when we met.

We got married 3 years later and celebrated 40 years married last August.

SIL said to my late mam give it 6 months.

Brother and SIL got divorced.

Graham.

• Like 22

8 hours ago, canadarocks said:

@marshhawkI am so sorry for your loss. DH had a stroke in 2018 and while the after-effects are different, I totally understand what you are dealing with. Sometimes, although it is totally understandable, the focus is on the "patient" and not on their spouse. Life changes for both partners, and it can be incredibly difficult being the "strong" one. 

So very true.  

@rafinmdglad to hear your test was negative and hoping you can get the online banking situation straightened out.  Your system is probably different than our Canadian one but in case it helps, mention to the bank when you call / visit that you need the Fire’s accounts linked not intermixed with yours.

Here - I see my own accounts but I have another account linked and if I click I see those accounts.  The two are never mixed togther.

8 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Good evening!  I’ve been busy today getting ready for the two 14 year old girls and the puppy.  Blue isn’t too sure about what is going on.  Here is one picture of the puppy.  I’ll try to get more. 

Oh my!  Poor Blue is in for trouble with that “puppy”. 😉 

@marshhawk, @luvteaching @canadarocksand everyone who has had their lives turned upside down due to strokes, dementia or head injuries my heart hurts for you all.  💔 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

I’m late finishing our Daily from Saturday, but couldn’t resist sharing our marriage story. My second cousin and DH’s first cousin got married in 1969 and we were both in the wedding party. They matched us up more as a joke than anything else-we are 10 years apart and the opposite of each other in every way. But we hit it off, began dating and got married a little over a year later. We’ve been married 51 years. We were willing to share each other’s interests (I’ve been to auto races, he’s been to the ballet) and we balance each out since he rarely talks and I never stop. Sadly our cousins divorced after 15 years and my cousin just passed away this week after a long battle with MS. DH and I took the sickness and health vow very seriously as he has severe coronary artery disease (was once considered as a candidate for an artificial heart) and is a leukemia survivor. Now he stays strong to be my care giver with my ALS. We have truly been blessed.

St Louis Sal

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

Just wanted to say how all these TRUE love stories are so inspirational on Valentine’s eve! Love comes in many ways.  Glad we can celebrate it in its many forms! 
Enjoying the movie comments too, was a little older than Marshhawk when I saw .Bonnie and Clyde, and remember crying at A love story and Sophie’s Choice.  Is it just me or has Meryl Streep lost her way?  

• Like 7

Still on the subject, our first date was a game of golf with another couple just using two balls.  I would hit that little ball somewhere inaccessible and Pat would have to find it and hit it out.  I've never played golf since, but he is still a fan - of the golf and I guess of me.  We will be celebrating our 60th anniversary this November.  (We have a room at his golf club booked for a party - just hope we will be able to have it.)

• Like 13