Hubbard Glacier vs Endicott arm

latebuyer

I have a choice between 2 glaciers-endicott arm or Hubbard glacier. Both cruises go to Tracey arm as well. The endicott arm cruise goes to Haines too and I’m not sure if that is a worthwhile port. The other ones goes to Ketchikan which I’ve gone to already though I do like it. I’ve been to glacier bay already. Thanks for any advice you can offer. It would be in august.

Edited by christinand

August one of the better weather months - - - 

What cruise line ship ?

Princess

Holland-America

Carnival

NCL

Other

The Hubbard glacier is usually connected with a north-south Vancouver-Seward/Whittier cruise

due to its northern location 

At Holkham bay is the joint entrance to Tracy/Sawyer and Endicott/Dawes glaciers.

Visit one or the other not both unless on a small marine craft

There are lots of combinations of port calls and glaciers - - -

Origin-destinations:  Seattle-Seattle * Vancouver-Seward/Whittier * Seward/Whittier-Vancouver

Ports - Ketchikan - Juneau - Skagway***(Haines?) - Icy Strait Point - Sitka 

Glaciers - The Big one Glacier Bay - Tracy/Sawyer - Endicott/Dawes - Mendenhall - Hubbard 

This cruise is a round trip one from Vancouver on rcl. I’m interested more if Hubbard glacier is a must see one or if the Dawes glacier/Haines combo is just as good. However the other thing I’ve heard is if you go to Tracey arm you are sometimes diverted to endicott arm anyways so I’m thinking the Hubbard one may be better.

Hubbard Glacier is huge and definitely worth visiting.  Tracy Arm and Endicott Arm are worth visiting if you have the option of transferring to a smaller boat for a close up visit.  Haines is a less visited port.  Less touristy with some worthwhile river rafting type excursions.  Steve Kroschel has a wildlife conservation area that is worth visiting.  You will never forget Steve once you have gone on his tour!  There is an interesting Hammer Museum.  

Thanks. I was looking and we are visiting Hubbard 11-2 but Tracy is 5-9 in the morning! On endicott cruise endicott and Tracy arm are 6 to 10 both days. So sounds like Hubbard is more worthwhile to visit as a glacier but Haines would be worthwhile seeing too. And the endicott/Haines cruise is on a better date. Arggs.

19 minutes ago, christinand said:

So sounds like Hubbard is more worthwhile to visit as a glacier but Haines would be worthwhile seeing too.

Hubbard Glacier is spectacular and if one is lucky enough to be there when there is calving taking place!  You won't forget the experience.  Have not been to Haines, but, from what I have learned about the port, it be of less interest to me than its close neighbor of Skagway.  Usually, there are tours that go from Haines to Skagway for a quick visit.  

Early morning glacier visits maybe in foggy mists and low ever cast cloud cover and

of course chilly (who left the refrigerator door open ? LOL !)

Best observations are when the sun is at its peak of the day burning off that fog/mist

But it is Alaska - weather has its own rules

Tracy the ships don't get close to the action - at Hubbard - Glacier Bay and Endicott they do.

Ditto on rkacruiser comments - I too have not been to Haines (No WPYRR train trips)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

Hubbard Glacier is spectacular and if one is lucky enough to be there when there is calving taking place!  You won't forget the experience.  Have not been to Haines, but, from what I have learned about the port, it be of less interest to me than its close neighbor of Skagway.  Usually, there are tours that go from Haines to Skagway for a quick visit.  

I would disagree on Haines versus Skagway.  Haines is a real town and it the few tourists that come to Haines stopped coming, the town would continue to exist.  Skagway is totally 100% dependent on tourists.  If we stopped coming, the town would dry up and blow away.  Obviously opinions vary but  I prefer real towns.

DON

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the reminder of the fog. I recall when I went to glacier bay the fog didn’t lift until later in the morning in time to see the glaciers, granted it was September. I’m leaning towards the Hubbard glacier one but I think I’ll look at the times for other ports more closely.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, donaldsc said:

Haines is a real town and it the few tourists that come to Haines stopped coming, the town would continue to exist.  Skagway is totally 100% dependent on tourists.  If we stopped coming, the town would dry up and blow away.  Obviously opinions vary but  I prefer real towns.

I understand.  My preference for Skagway is because of its historical connections.  Maybe some day I will be able to visit Haines.  

• Like 1

On 2/13/2022 at 11:17 AM, rkacruiser said:

.....  Have not been to Haines, but, from what I have learned about the port, it be of less interest to me than its close neighbor of Skagway.  Usually, there are tours that go from Haines to Skagway for a quick visit.  

I agree with Don.  Haines is certainly worth visiting.  It is much less touristy than Skagway, Ketchikan or Juneau.  For example, the stores and galleries are owned by local residents, and the folks working in them are also local residents.  The shops don't close after the last cruise ship of the season departs.  While Sitka is more "artsy" there are a number of interesting galleries in Haines.

The cruise ship dock is small, so they can't have four or five ships at once.  The dock is just across from historic Ft. William Seward.  Also easy access to the town itself.  

Folks who live there tend to be outdoorsy.  Their visitor bureau markets Haines as the "adventure capital of Alaska."  There are river rafting and fishing opportunities galore.  Hiking trails are in Chilkoot State Park and also Chilkat State Park.  And there is a bald eagle preserve.

Museums include the Sheldon Museum and the already mentioned Hammer Museum.  The Jilkaat Kwaan Cultural Center is close by.

And the historic Ft. William Seward/Chilkoot Barracks is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and also is designated a National Historic Landmark.

• Thanks 1

I’m reopening this thread and hope someone reads. What i should have mentioned is that the cruise with hubbard glacier is sept 18 while the endicott arm cruise is in mid august. The cruise in august is not that much more expensive. I went to alaska in september before and was pretty lucky with weather but i don’t know if i want to tempt face twice. I’m interested in the deadliest catch or taku lodge excursion and need good weather for those. I really would like to go to hubbard but don’t want to be rained out. Any thoughts?

2 hours ago, christinand said:

I’m reopening this thread and hope someone reads. What i should have mentioned is that the cruise with hubbard glacier is sept 18 while the endicott arm cruise is in mid august. The cruise in august is not that much more expensive. I went to alaska in september before and was pretty lucky with weather but i don’t know if i want to tempt face twice. I’m interested in the deadliest catch or taku lodge excursion and need good weather for those. I really would like to go to hubbard but don’t want to be rained out. Any thoughts?

We're doing the Sept 18th cruise on Serenade. We've done May and September cruises and weather was never a concern during each of those four cruises. 

Deadliest Catch tour a favorite and have booked that one again.

On 2/13/2022 at 11:41 AM, oaktreerb said:

Hubbard Glacier is huge and definitely worth visiting.  Tracy Arm and Endicott Arm are worth visiting if you have the option of transferring to a smaller boat for a close up visit.  Haines is a less visited port.  Less touristy with some worthwhile river rafting type excursions.  Steve Kroschel has a wildlife conservation area that is worth visiting.  You will never forget Steve once you have gone on his tour!  There is an interesting Hammer Museum.  

Tell me more about if we can book with Steve for a port stop...does he provide transportation?

8 hours ago, Ashland said:

Tell me more about if we can book with Steve for a port stop...does he provide transportation?

You can find Steve’s website www.kroschelfilms.com or look on trip advisor.   We booked a visit as an excursion on Holland America.  Steve does not provide transportation and you just can’t drop in for a visit.  We have seen him on the Dr. Oakley, Yukon Vet TV show.  Dr. Oakley seems to have a clinic in Haines and also provides vet visits to care for animals throughout the Yukon, Whitehorse, Haines, and the Wildlife Conservation Center between Seward and Anchorage in Alaska.

Enjoy your Alaska adventure!

1 hour ago, oaktreerb said:

You can find Steve’s website www.kroschelfilms.com or look on trip advisor.   We booked a visit as an excursion on Holland America.  Steve does not provide transportation and you just can’t drop in for a visit.  We have seen him on the Dr. Oakley, Yukon Vet TV show.  Dr. Oakley seems to have a clinic in Haines and also provides vet visits to care for animals throughout the Yukon, Whitehorse, Haines, and the Wildlife Conservation Center between Seward and Anchorage in Alaska.

Enjoy your Alaska adventure!

Thanks...It seems like since we're docking in Sitka this won't work for our group.

Any suggestions for Sitka? We'll have our young grand sons with us age 8 & 5.

1 hour ago, Ashland said:

Thanks...It seems like since we're docking in Sitka this won't work for our group.

Fortress of the Bears and the Raptor Center.  You can take a bus from the shuttle drop off that goes to both.  There is also a totem park that goes along the water and a sea life touch tank within walking distance.  All of these activities would be great for kids.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, christinand said:

I’m interested in the deadliest catch or taku lodge excursion and need good weather for those. I really would like to go to hubbard but don’t want to be rained out

Both of the excursions in which you mentioned are excellent ones; I have done them both.  The "deadliest catch" tour likely would be done whatever the weather would be.  Taku Lodge?  Since one flies in a small plane to get to the Lodge, that could be impacted by bad weather.  Hubbard Glacier?  Rain ought not to keep your ship from getting to the end of the Bay where the Glacier is.  Could be foggy and that might impact your visibility of the Glacier, but I think you would still have an impressive visit to that site.  

Personally, I did not find the Endicott Arm/Tracy Fjord sightseeing to be as spectacular for me as I have with the sightseeing in Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier.  

5 hours ago, Ashland said:

My very 1st   cruise was in 2007, and went from Whittier to Vancouver.  I have fond memories of Sitka, I remember it being a tender port. .There was a community center, where you could see a performance of Russian dancing by the locals. (Free?, or donations accepted?) I also remember being able  to see eagles, near the dock.  Not sure about other cruise lines, but Carnival  only visits this port a few times during the cruise season, which makes it even more special, imo. Enjoy!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Both of the excursions in which you mentioned are excellent ones; I have done them both.  The "deadliest catch" tour likely would be done whatever the weather would be.  Taku Lodge?  Since one flies in a small plane to get to the Lodge, that could be impacted by bad weather.  Hubbard Glacier?  Rain ought not to keep your ship from getting to the end of the Bay where the Glacier is.  Could be foggy and that might impact your visibility of the Glacier, but I think you would still have an impressive visit to that site.  

Personally, I did not find the Endicott Arm/Tracy Fjord sightseeing to be as spectacular for me as I have with the sightseeing in Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier.  

Thanks RKA Cruiser. Yes I think I would like to see Hubbard over endicott. Doing taku may be too risky in September but it seems expensive anyways and may have to be a big splurge some day. How have people felt about going back to Alaska a second time? Did it interest you enough? I just went in sept 19 but it’s convenient because I’m from Vancouver and I could quarantine in Vancouver if I tested positive. While I have been to 2 of the ports in Juneau I never went to mendenhall glacier and Ketchikan I could do deadliest catch. I haven’t been to Sitka.

20 hours ago, christinand said:

How have people felt about going back to Alaska a second time?

Even before my Nephew moved to Alaska, I had cruised there a 2-3 times and always found something to experience that I had not during a previous visit.  An example, visiting Hubbard Glacier, it just "sat there"; didn't "perform".  My next visit:  it calved.  And calved some more and then some more!  Since Philip moved and has started a family, I have visited additional times (including a Christmas visit).  Haven't run out of new experiences!  And, I enjoy repeating some of my past ones.  

20 hours ago, christinand said:

Doing taku may be too risky in September but it seems expensive anyways and may have to be a big splurge some day.

It is not inexpensive, but your flightseeing to get to and from the Lodge includes a narrated flight over 5 glaciers, the delicious Salmon meal followed by some time to wander around on the property.  There is a trail that some walked.  And, if the black bear makes his/her appearance after the salmon have been grilled to get some free food off the grill----whatever one paid, it's worth it!  

Weather can be risky during whatever month you might try to do this tour.  If weather causes the tour to be cancelled, I would think that whatever you paid would be refunded.  But, of course, check the details about that before you make a booking.  

On 2/21/2022 at 5:14 PM, latebuyer said:

Thanks RKA Cruiser. Yes I think I would like to see Hubbard over endicott. Doing taku may be too risky in September but it seems expensive anyways and may have to be a big splurge some day. How have people felt about going back to Alaska a second time? Did it interest you enough? I just went in sept 19 but it’s convenient because I’m from Vancouver and I could quarantine in Vancouver if I tested positive. While I have been to 2 of the ports in Juneau I never went to mendenhall glacier and Ketchikan I could do deadliest catch. I haven’t been to Sitka.

We are going back to Alaska for a 5th time in June.  This will be our third trip on Celebrity Solstice.  Leaving out of Seattle so we can drive to the port.   We love it. We are taking two 11 yr old grandchildren with us for the second time.    For us it just never gets old.  We love the longer midnight sun days of June.   This time we will be offloading on to a smaller boat so we can get closer to the Endicott Arm Glacier.  We have watched them do it several times with jealousy!!!!  

• Like 1