Does anyone else feel cheated?

bubbapk1

It is very interesting that no two of the cruises this summer that had the same original itinerary now has the same. The June 26 cruise has a sea day replacing Dublin and Waterford replacing Cobh.  We do not get Liverpool or Ringaskiddy. 
just observing that it seems to have definitely been “last minute “ rearranging or we would all be the same 

31 minutes ago, Cruisernewbie44 said:

We do not get Liverpool or Ringaskiddy. 

Who gets Liverpool?
Liverpool wasn´t added to any of the cruises in question.
I was wondering already how Liverpool found its ways into this...

21 minutes ago, Miaminice said:

Who gets Liverpool?
Liverpool wasn´t added to any of the cruises in question.
I was wondering already how Liverpool found its ways into this...

The OP stated that he got an overnight in Liverpool

10 minutes ago, Wirral Girlie said:

The OP said Dublin had been replaced with Liverpool on their cruise so that is why I commented re-Liverpool.

Ahh, British Isles cruise vs. Ireland/Iceland cruise... 👍

Edited by Miaminice

If I remember right Dublin also has a tide issue with cruise ships getting in and out of the port. With the change you get a overnight in Liverpool. You can fly out of Manchester to Dublin and spend the day/night.

I would do one day at Blackpool and the 2nd day at Chester. Or a tour of the Peak District with a visit to Chatsworth House.

We were also booked on a Iceland cruise that was canceled because of Covid. 

• Thanks 1

As an Englishman, I’d be delighted if my cruise was diverted away from Dublin,.. although, as a Englishman from Manchester quite horrified if said diversion took me to Liverpool…. Hmm,.. think I’ll stick with a land based holiday for now just to avoid these awful possibilities 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Manchester is blue said:

As an Englishman, I’d be delighted if my cruise was diverted away from Dublin,.. although, as a Englishman from Manchester quite horrified if said diversion took me to Liverpool…. Hmm,.. think I’ll stick with a land based holiday for now just to avoid these awful possibilities 🤣

Yes we decided to do a land base vacation for April to use our BA certificate. Visiting Manchester, Blackpool, Alton Towers, Long Eaton, Warwick, London and Newbury. Next cruise is Alaska in June to use up FCC. Our Alaska cruise the ship (Millie) is the destination.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Manchester is blue said:

Exactly why we are not cruising anywhere right now, but all inclusive land vacation in Mexico here we come!

On 2/16/2022 at 10:28 AM, mikewomb said:

Yes, but time is wasting. We are getting older and feel like we have lost too much time. 

That's true of all of us, yet we cannot change what has happed, but we can change how we respond.  I think that is a nature response to feel like we have lost too much time; however,  reacting in a more positive way can increase quality and quantity of life, as there is nothing else we can do about it.  Trust me, I have been there before, but refuse to go there again!  Seize the day and live life to its fullest.  I wish you happiness, peace and many wonderful future cruises.

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lastdance said:

That's true of all of us, yet we cannot change what has happed, but we can change how we respond.  I think that is a nature response to feel like we have lost too much time; however,  reacting in a more positive way can increase quality and quantity of life, as there is nothing else we can do about it.  Trust me, I have been there before, but refuse to go there again!  Seize the day and live life to its fullest.  I wish you happiness, peace and many wonderful future cruises.

You have misunderstand me for sure. We are 77 and 80.  When you loose two years out of traveling you have lost a lot. I am not giving anyone a pep talk..it is just a fact. Most cruiser that go frequently are older because they have the time and money. We would go on three long cruises a year, and two trips to Hawaii every year. We are not our of the woods yet for sure, but did go to Hawaii in November for our birthdays which was great. 

On 2/16/2022 at 10:49 AM, bubbapk1 said:

Long story cut short.... We booked three years ago for the British Isles cruise out of Dublin. That was in 2020 when everything got canceled. We rebooked for the following year (2021), which was eventually cancelled again. Third time being the charm, we booked for May of 2022, but leaving out of Amsterdam, but still going to Dublin along the way. Everything was looking good, till last night. We received an email from Celebrity saying that due to Covid-related issues, we will not be stopping in Dublin, but giving us an overnight in Liverpool. We really wanted to go to Dublin, so we are very disappointed. 

I decided to look at what was the hold up in Dublin as they no longer have any testing requirements. It seems that as early as May of 2021, Dublin's port authority said no to cruises over a certain size, in turn pissing off the shop owners and businesses. 

So, why didn't Celebrity tell us about that a year ago? I understand itineraries change, but this was known for a long time......

As someone who absolutely adores Northern England and visits whenever I can, embrace the overnight in Liverpool.  Dublin is very "Disney Ireland" IMO (especially Temple Bar, the Guinness Brewery and places you'd have time to do if spending a port day there) - you will honestly get a similar historical experience in Liverpool if you choose to look into it.  There are many Irish in Liverpool, and Liverpudlians are among the greatest people on earth.  Look forward to it, trust me.

Edited by WorkerBee74
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 2/17/2022 at 10:00 AM, bigbenboys said:

If I remember right Dublin also has a tide issue with cruise ships getting in and out of the port. With the change you get a overnight in Liverpool. You can fly out of Manchester to Dublin and spend the day/night.

I would do one day at Blackpool and the 2nd day at Chester. Or a tour of the Peak District with a visit to Chatsworth House.

Also consider a day in Manchester - multiple trains per hour and only about half hour away.  Highly underrated city.

Edited by WorkerBee74
  • Like 1

Have only been to Liverpool once and would  go back in an instant just for the Scouse. Love it.

Manchester. I have seen the underbelly there - from a narrowboat. Would love to do that again.

Edited by lyndarra
  • Like 1

On 2/17/2022 at 4:49 PM, Manchester is blue said:

We were really impressed with Liverpool last summer on our cruise. Its a great port of call in my opinion 

On 2/17/2022 at 4:00 PM, bigbenboys said:

Hi.

I would endorse some of your suggestions.

Chester is a lovely city with great cathedral and old English city centre and not far from Liverpool.

Blackpool is I’m afraid a bit seedy,,,but if you like Big Dippers go for it,,,kids love it,,but it’s a bit away from Liverpool.

Derbyshires Peak District is further still,,,all that way to visit a stately home?

I certainly wouldn’t travel the 40 miles ish to Manchester Airport to be met with endless queues for immigration when Liverpool John Lennon Airport is a 15 minute drive away.

And as I mentioned in a previous post,,,,good flight times for a trip to Dublin.

Or you could have a few pints of Guinness, listen to the music and enjoy the craic in Lanigans Irish Bar in Liverpool.

When we had an overnight in Liverpool in 2018, we took two tours with BusyBus. One day, we went to North Wales and the other day to the Lake District. Both tours were very enjoyable, with a delightful guide. We did end up on a larger bus one day, but we still had only 16 people. We saw the narrowboats Lyndarra mentioned above, and would love to travel on on of those, someday. 

For Waterford, we had a wonderful day, with an amazing, hands-on falconry experience on the island, on the castle grounds. Later, we did a walking history and beer tour. We walked with a small group from pub to pub, having a quarter to half pint of a different local or house brew in each, with three tasters in the last pub, where the proprietor told us about the history of whisky and his collection of very expensive bottles of the same. 

• Like 1

On 2/16/2022 at 11:49 AM, bubbapk1 said:

Long story cut short.... We booked three years ago for the British Isles cruise out of Dublin. That was in 2020 when everything got canceled. We rebooked for the following year (2021), which was eventually cancelled again. Third time being the charm, we booked for May of 2022, but leaving out of Amsterdam, but still going to Dublin along the way. Everything was looking good, till last night. We received an email from Celebrity saying that due to Covid-related issues, we will not be stopping in Dublin, but giving us an overnight in Liverpool. We really wanted to go to Dublin, so we are very disappointed. 

I decided to look at what was the hold up in Dublin as they no longer have any testing requirements. It seems that as early as May of 2021, Dublin's port authority said no to cruises over a certain size, in turn pissing off the shop owners and businesses. 

So, why didn't Celebrity tell us about that a year ago? I understand itineraries change, but this was known for a long time......

Speechless (but not quite)... that you feel cheated. You know full well that sailing during this time is subject to change, even after boarding. You sign a contract that informs you ports are not guaranteed.  You know that Covid is a world-wide problem for over two years now, you care only about Dublin, but never bothered to do any independent research on the status of the port.  If you read these boards you know that some ports have changed and since retracted some of their rules regarding ship size (which is why Cekebrity likely elected not to panic and make changes until they were forced to). Yet, you that Celebrity has cheated you. Generally, people and businesses "cheat" for some undeserved gain. What exactly does Celebrity stand to gain? Amazing. 

Of course I'm disappointed.  When you plan a vacation, you choose your ship by the ports they will visit.  Canceling Dublin on an Ireland intensive cruise is crushing.  Arriving across the pond and spending money for airfare and precruise hotels add to the cost.  The cruise line should reimburse the cruiser for the loss of the port, but they don't consider this.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 2/16/2022 at 12:12 PM, bubbapk1 said:

yeah, maybe cheated was too harsh.... I'll go with disappointed....

We were on a similar itinerary...for Iceland and Ireland.  Big itinerary changes...dropping Dublin and Cork - it was a deal breaker for us.  We cancelled and scheduled another cruise.  Yes, we are very disappointed.