Price Drop After Final Payment

aswmammoth

We called NCL today after the price of our cabin dropped significantly.  This was after they cancelled one of our ports of call as well, so we thought we would try to see if there was anything they could do as far as OBC.  The rep I spoke with, who was very kind, said their policy had changed on giving OBC due to covid, and they no longer do it.  She said all she could do was send me something to fill out to maybe get some FCC, but apparently the several hundred dollar price drop of our cabin didn't meet that threshold.

I have read about others recently getting 50% of the difference in FCC, or even a certain percentage of OBC for a price difference after final payment.  Is anyone else aware of this rule change?  Not sure if it's worth trying to speak with someone else or not.  Thanks!

Yes and it's been discussed many times.  What I was told ( back in August) is that:

1) if you want an upgrade, the upgrade has to cost more than what you have.

2) some or all of the promos you took have to match the current offerings.  So if you took airfare - which usually falls off at 90 days, it won't match.

As to OBC, it seems as if they are now offering 50% FCC instead, and the difference has to be above a certain amount  - I'd read $200 somewhere but I don't know for sure.

• Like 1

I had a cruise in December where the price drop was $5K (Haven). NCL sent me the link to fill out.  I completed it. Customer Service responded that they couldn’t help me.

After NCL’s 2 sentence response, I decided to move my cruise business elsewhere. I’m sure NCL won’t miss my 4+ cruises per year. 

• Like 2

How much money is NCL sat on with credits, what percentage of customers pay with new money, NCL has a captive audience with reduced numbers and people trying to use their credits…..In the short term they can afford to be awkward? 

12 hours ago, Corporatezombievacay said:

I had a cruise in December where the price drop was $5K (Haven). NCL sent me the link to fill out.  I completed it. Customer Service responded that they couldn’t help me.

After NCL’s 2 sentence response, I decided to move my cruise business elsewhere. I’m sure NCL won’t miss my 4+ cruises per year. 

Had a similar experience about 10 years ago... was pretty appalled at their response.  My price drop was about $2,000 though... still galling.

Does anyone have the link... I have a price drop issue with a current cruise I'd like to pursue.

4 minutes ago, Lionkingrichard said:

All I did was call my PCC at NCL. She advised me I would get the new promotions and I lost 1 free meal(x2 wife), but saved $600. That was before paid in full, but for our cruise that was like 60 days?

Thanks, but I need the link to submit a request for a reduction AFTER paid in full.  I've gotten price reductions prior to final paymenet as you describe many times... always very satisfying.  😉

7 hours ago, SpainAlien said:

On EU/UK bookings we have never had the opportunity to have the price adjusted after final payment, not even after initial booking, it would have to be a cancel and rebook with cancellation fees being applied.

We are still able to reprice in the form or an upgrade as long as the new cabin is more expensive than the original booking.
I book an inside, then if the price drops significantly after final payment, I upgrade to a balcony at the new lower price. If there is no significant price reduction I have the upgrade program to fall back on.

• Like 1

Thank you for reminding me of one of the many reasons I no longer sail with NCL. I had been vaguely considering looking for a sailing to use my one remaining CruiseFirst certificate on, but this has reminded me of why I am just going to let that $250 go.

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

Thank you for reminding me of one of the many reasons I no longer sail with NCL. I had been vaguely considering looking for a sailing to use my one remaining CruiseFirst certificate on, but this has reminded me of why I am just going to let that $250 go.

Can you sell it like you can sell the Cruise Next certs?

Don't get me wrong - I have taken advantage of NCL's repricing and upgrade programs many times and have gotten some really sweet deals that way.  But it is a courtesy, not something they are required to do.

I wouldn't be surprised if they eventually adopt the non-refundable deposit model currently in the UK and stop upgrades, other than bids, altogether in the near future.

• Like 2

I've also gotten some very good deals with them... and also sail other cruise lines as destination is what drives our travel.  That one time a few years ago was just a very disappointing response.

If anyone has that "after final payment" link, I would love to try to get an adjustment on my current upcoming cruise.  If it doesn't happen, I won't be crushed as my pricing on this cruise was very, very good due to assorted discounts above the Free at Sea promos.

7 minutes ago, julig22 said:

Don't get me wrong - I have taken advantage of NCL's repricing and upgrade programs many times and have gotten some really sweet deals that way.  But it is a courtesy, not something they are required to do.

I wouldn't be surprised if they eventually adopt the non-refundable deposit model currently in the UK and stop upgrades, other than bids, altogether in the near future.

Paid upgrades are pure profit for the cruise lines.

Plus next time you want that nicer(more expensive) cabin.

1 hour ago, julig22 said:

But it is a courtesy, not something they are required to do.

Certainly not something they are required or obligated to do, but they are competing with other cruise lines who offer much better customer service in this specific area. Here's an example of what I mean:

In October, I sailed on the Breakaway. After final payment, the price dropped by $197 per person. I called to see about getting 25% of the difference in OBC as had happened previously for a sailing I took pre-COVID. I was told that, because 25% of the difference was less than $50 per person, they could do nothing for me. Off by only a few dollars! Then, closer to sailing, the price dropped even more so I called them up think I'd be eligible for the the OCB at that point, but they turned me down that time, because the sailing was less than 15 days away.

Meanwhile I was sailing solo on the Celebrity Summit in November. The price dropped by ~$390 after final payment. I called them up and they gave me the full $390 as onboard credit.

Another similar example of Celebrity stepping up after final payment. I am booked on the Summit again for next month. They recently added a promo for $100 of OBC on Caribbean sailings for March. Even though I was past final payment, I did an online chat with them and had the $100 OBC added to my booking in under 5 minutes.

So yes, while there is no requirement for NCL to provide compensation for pricing/promo changes after final payment, they do need to compete with other cruise lines and right now, because of those sorts of issues, other cruise lines are getting my business.

Edited by JamieLogical
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

Certainly not something they are required or obligated to do, but they are competing with other cruise lines who offer much better customer service in this specific area. Here's an example of what I mean:

In October, I sailed on the Breakaway. After final payment, the price dropped by $197 per person. I called to see about getting 25% of the difference in OBC as had happened previously for a sailing I took pre-COVID. I was told that, because 25% of the difference was less than $50 per person, they could do nothing for me. Off by only a few dollars! Then, closer to sailing, the price dropped even more so I called them up think I'd be eligible for the the OCB at that point, but they turned me down that time, because the sailing was less than 15 days away.

Meanwhile I was sailing solo on the Celebrity Summit in November. The price dropped by ~$390 after final payment. I called them up and they gave me the full $390 as onboard credit.

Another similar example of Celebrity stepping up after final payment. I am booked on the Summit again for next month. They recently added a promo for $100 of OBC on Caribbean sailings for March. Even though I was past final payment, I did an online chat with them and had the $100 OBC added to my booking in under 5 minutes.

So yes, while there is no requirement for NCL to provide compensation for pricing/promo changes after final payment, they do need to compete with other cruise lines and right now, because of those sorts of issues, other cruise lines are getting my business.

Agreed... excellent examples of very good customer service with a cruise line taking the long view and willing to do extra to generate loyalty.

2 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

So....sell it or give it away.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, FlGoodShips said:

So....sell it or give it away.

I do not believe CruiseFirsts are transferrable.

EDIT: I stand corrected. I just looked over the confirmation from when I purchased it and it is transferrable. My brother is still cruising with NCL, so I will see about getting it transferred to him! Thanks!

Edited by JamieLogical

3 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

Oh what a shame I’m going to miss your helpful input. Cruise happy !

Edited by ppcox
  • Like 1

NCL's current strategy is to charge more for those who want to book a cruise in advance and then deeply discount the remaining cabins after final payment is due. This means that NCL has more inventory to deep discount, therefore offering deeper discounts for last minute but less customer friendly policies. This was true prior to Covid also. I never booked either NCL and MSC until after final payment because these two lines tend to discount the most. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

NCL's current strategy is to charge more for those who want to book a cruise in advance and then deeply discount the remaining cabins after final payment is due. This means that NCL has more inventory to deep discount, therefore offering deeper discounts for last minute but less customer friendly policies. This was true prior to Covid also. I never booked either NCL and MSC until after final payment because these two lines tend to discount the most. 

That strategy may be now but a year ago it was the opposite. I have 7 booked with NCL and all of them have almost doubled in price.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lionkingrichard said:

Doesn't Celebrity have a $750 non refundable deposit? I think they wanted me to pay $680 more for a refundable deposit!

I think it depends on the sailing? I have only ever paid $100/person for a deposit on Celebrity. They do offer a refundable deposit, but it adds more to your total sailing, so I have never done it. I would rather bet that I am sailing than bet that I won't be sailing. They do let you transfer the deposit to another booking. I did that for my January cruise. I was originally booked on the Edge for Jan. 2, but switched to the Equinox for Jan. 21 and they transferred my deposit.