Having a stressful time…any suggestions welcome!

Mollypuss

This is terrible, and I'm sorry. 

I completely understand not wanting to fly away from the minor children you are responsible for. What if there is a delay or cancellation? What if there is an issue in the air and they are re-routed? There is too much unpredictability at this point for me to want to air travel without my full party on the same flight. Regardless of age. It has nothing to do with the kids' potential behavior - that's not the issue, IMO. Air travel is just not reliable enough at this point (and I am a frequent flyer for business). 

if this were me, I would: 

1. Cancel airfare and rebook directly

2. See if you can change you cruise reservation to include your husband/daughter in 1 cabin and yourself and the two friends in a second. Then choose adjoining/adjacent cabins. Leave the final sleeping locations to your own discretion. Get extra keys. it will be fine.

if not 1 & 2, then: 

3. Look into cancelling everything/rebooking with a GOOD TA (one you get personal references for) and let THEM earn the commission by dealing with hold times, background noises, managing changes to suit your needs. 

I hope it all works out for you! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

13 hours ago, dkjretired said:

Customer service across the country has been at the level since Covid, can’t get workers, etc, stores closed etc. I would not expect that it would be any different at other cruise lines.

Agree.  The pandemic pretty much eliminated traditional call centers in many places.  And the labor market now has with the new reality that everybody wants to work from home.  Supervisors are not in the immediate vicinity and are a phone call away.  And training is minimal.  So we hear crying babies sometimes and barking dogs.  And service is highly variable.  I'm used to it I guess.  Just like all of the other changes (for the worse) due to COVID-world. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It’s a break down for support, no doubt.  If it’s the fault of Celebrity or the airlines, isn’t clear to me.  

I do know MANY companies have asked support personnel to work from home, which explains the background noises.  That’s not a bad thing, in and of itself.  Some even send their support to 3rd party agencies, who hire workers to work from home.

None of that matters, though.  

Assuming you’ve used these contacts?

Flights by Celebrity Quotes and Inquiries1-800-533-7803

Air Arrangements Email Address:    air_sea_cci@celebritycruises.com

Edited by graphicguy

10 hours ago, karma459 said:

This is terrible, and I'm sorry. 

I completely understand not wanting to fly away from the minor children you are responsible for. What if there is a delay or cancellation? What if there is an issue in the air and they are re-routed? There is too much unpredictability at this point for me to want to air travel without my full party on the same flight. Regardless of age. It has nothing to do with the kids' potential behavior - that's not the issue, IMO. Air travel is just not reliable enough at this point (and I am a frequent flyer for business). 

if this were me, I would: 

1. Cancel airfare and rebook directly

2. See if you can change you cruise reservation to include your husband/daughter in 1 cabin and yourself and the two friends in a second. Then choose adjoining/adjacent cabins. Leave the final sleeping locations to your own discretion. Get extra keys. it will be fine.

if not 1 & 2, then: 

3. Look into cancelling everything/rebooking with a GOOD TA (one you get personal references for) and let THEM earn the commission by dealing with hold times, background noises, managing changes to suit your needs. 

I hope it all works out for you! 

OP, if I were you, I would follow every recommendation for the above post.  Her recommendation for step 2 is exactly what we've done when taking our entire family of 16 on cruises to celebrate our 45th and 50th Anniversaries. Each family had two adjoining rooms. One parent and child/children were booked in one cabin and other parent and child in other.  Once boarded parents were both in one cabin and kids in the other. 

• Thanks 1

Although I understand that this is life in a pandemic, there is also the issue of companies paying the very least possible for their customer service people. And sometimes need to be called short on this. I do not see this as selfish nonsense at all- it may be expecting a lot but when I call customer service I expect to be able to hear them and expect them to have accurate information. When the background is such that I am not able to conduct business then it is useless. When neither need is met I have a choice- and usually will try to call again and hope for a better experience. But I can also cancel and try another cruiseline. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Mollypuss said:

I’ve been a member here for 21 years but am not very active on the boards anymore. I’m so frustrated and hoping to find some suggestions. We are loyal Royal Caribbean cruisers but booked the Edge for 03/2020 and Infinity Mediterranean for 06/2020. Obviously those were cancelled because of Covid so we are giving it another shot on the Apex, 3/19 sailing. It will be my husband and I in one cabin and our daughter and 2 of her friends in a cabin next door. The girls are all high school seniors. 

From the first phone call to book cabins to the last phone call on Monday, I’ve spent 16 hours and 7 minutes talking to Celebrity and/or flights by Celebrity. I booked in September and we were only able to get ocean view cabins because of having minors in another cabin. All verandas were not available with 2 next to each other per cruise line policy. We always get a balcony….so ok, we said no big deal…let’s go and enjoy anyway. Booked flights thru cruise because airfare was super expensive and we were flying in the day of embarkation because girls have school Friday. Then our flights were changed twice and had us landing at 1:30 (including connection) for a 3pm all aboard. Not comfortable with that and after hours on the phone we decided to pay more and fly in the night before arriving at 12:30am and us spending $600 for 2 hotel rooms. Received an email last week showing our return flight being changed just for my husband and myself and the girls are still on the original flight. What?? I called again and the blame game started…it is Deltas fault…Delta says it’s Celebrity’s fault. Now both flights are sold out except first class and we’re not flying home from Ft Lauderdale with 2 girls that are not ours and we are responsible for them. The last agent I spoke with was submitting an airline change routing us thru Chicago where I really don’t want to go with potential for winter weather. I’ve heard nothing. I suggested they book us first class seats because WE did not change our flight and they wouldn’t do it. The agents I’ve talked with have had:

1. Neighbors street racing so loudly I could not hear her (she said that’s what was happening)

2. A baby crying in the background for over an hour

3. Dogs barking the entire call

4. Hung up on twice

I am frustrated because Celebrity is a superior cruise line. I expected better customer service…or at least standard! I’m questioning whether this was the right move trying out Celebrity. Our daughter is older so we’d like to get away from the family oriented cruises and move to more relaxed and nicer. How do I get the flight issue resolved and I’m assuming our cabins will be changed since we currently have them in the quarantine area? Is there a customer service supervisor that I can speak with? Thanks for your help!

Sorry for your challenges, thus far, it is not easy, I Am sure - the stress!!!

Please remember that X is a consolidator for air flights, meaning they have deeply discounted (in many cases) tickets to the ports where they fly... Also meaning that they have contracted pricing for some flights and not all flights, as such some flights may have higher fares.

X DOES NOT control or have influence over airline scheduling, seating, flight cancellations, changes and etc.

One scenario is to find out if one (1) adult can fly with the minors with the other to follow OR see if booking direct with the airline will yield a better seating situation, most likely not a better pricing one OR it may be too late but a wait and see and continual follow-up with both your airline and X might be in order.

It sounds like you booked direct with X, so whatever is happening in the background is unfortunate and if not tolerable, hang up and call back until there is an acceptable low-level background noise going on.

Cruising is in a constant state of change since the pandemic, so we or most of us tend to roll with it and forge forward with understanding the changes and either making the best of them or do what we can to make them better given the issue(s) we and X face.

We can only hope that any and all resolutions are taken care of before the first flight. Just know that once aboard, all else is very different, at least for most of us.

bon voyage

• Thanks 1

This is unacceptable!  

I recently got an email notifying me of a change in flight times for our trip to Europe for a summer cruise.  Usually the change involves an hour or two - this change had us departing / arriving 2 DAYS later.  We would miss the cruise!  I had booked directly with the airlines not through Flights by Celebrity.  

In regard to your original comment 

1. Neighbors street racing so loudly I could not hear her (she said that’s what was happening)

2. A baby crying in the background for over an hour

My favorite is the rooster crowing in the background.  I have had that more than once,.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Loracpin2 said:

OP, if I were you, I would follow every recommendation for the above post.  Her recommendation for step 2 is exactly what we've done when taking our entire family of 16 on cruises to celebrate our 45th and 50th Anniversaries. Each family had two adjoining rooms. One parent and child/children were booked in one cabin and other parent and child in other.  Once boarded parents were both in one cabin and kids in the other. 

Although the cabin suggestion may be too late at this juncture... possibly, a good suggestion regardless.

bon voyage

22 hours ago, mnocket said:

I'm really sorry for your experience.  Customer "Service" has been going downhill pretty much everywhere for years.  I hope someone here can give you a magic contact that can address your issues.  Me?  I'd have opened a bottle of wine already - It's 5 O'clock somewhere🙂

ps  It does raise the question as to whether the hassle is worth trying to travel these days.

I consider it a minor inconvenience in travel these days, more of a headache when minors are involved.

bon voyage

Not much help on your issue, but I did flights through NCL once. Wasn’t a horrible experience, but will never do flights through a cruise line again.  As far as cabins. Always book at least one adult per cabin if possible. They usually will let you switch up once on board. 

• Like 1

I appreciate all of the helpful feedback and acknowledgment that this is frustrating. As for the other comments with “OMG” and clutching pearls because I expect a certain amount of professionalism? Go on and be disappointed in my selfishness. I’m in law enforcement as well as my husband. We don’t have the option of working from home. In fact we’re on forced OT from lack of manpower. This vacation is badly needed. I also don’t view working from home as any different from an office, just different scenery. Would you bring your baby to work at an office? Moving on….

I realize all of this is opinion and the hope was to reach someone who has had similar problems. I did indeed and never thought about calling the Captains Club since we are Elite. Lots of good suggestions here and I thank you for taking the time to reply! We are so looking forward to Celebrity. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, 5waldos said:

Although I understand that this is life in a pandemic, there is also the issue of companies paying the very least possible for their customer service people. And sometimes need to be called short on this. I do not see this as selfish nonsense at all- it may be expecting a lot but when I call customer service I expect to be able to hear them and expect them to have accurate information. When the background is such that I am not able to conduct business then it is useless. When neither need is met I have a choice- and usually will try to call again and hope for a better experience. But I can also cancel and try another cruiseline. 

But I can also cancel and try another cruiseline. Oceania is very nice, but many of their CSRs are also working from home these days. Check any cruise line board here, same non-sense.  Good luck with your new cruise line.

39 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

But I can also cancel and try another cruiseline. Oceania is very nice, but many of their CSRs are also working from home these days. Check any cruise line board here, same non-sense.  Good luck with your new cruise line.

I am quite aware of this problem. But it does remain an option. In fact I am on my 3rd set of reservations for a trip this summer to Alaska- I did cancel in a bit of a huff my first ones (incorrect info after incorrect info ad nauseum), now Crystal has gone under. So far have had reasonable luck with this Celebrity reservation- some issues but nothing I can't tolerate. Besides, I had a FCC from a cruise that we canceled because of CoVid that I needed to use. 

I am so sorry for all this uncertainty about your upcoming cruise on the Apex.  I agree with what most said...except those who got off topic about teenagers flying alone.  I would fight to be on the same flights as the teenagers.  Too many issues can happen.  Flights get cancelled or delayed every day.  Can you imagine if you got to the destination and the teenagers ended up stuck in their connection city?  Yikes!   

As a retired travel agency manager, this is what I would do.  Take a few minutes and go onto Expedia or Kayak and put in your itinerary.  See for yourself what your options are and then call Celebrity.   I ran into way too many issues when booking Cruise Air for my clients and now that I am traveling as a regular guest, I like the ability to control my own itinerary. For now, just know that you have options

On a very positive note.  Our January 22nd Apex cruise was the most well-managed we have been on.  The embarcation was seamless and the cruise was truly amazing.  The girls will enjoy it!  

• Like 1

I would recommend you try to book (if you do) with the help of a small travel agency, local to you if possible. Small businesses don’t seem to be as badly hit by the labor shortage, because they didn’t have very many employees to start with. 

But I must say that that we talk about cruising again (we’d like to do so), but end up deciding that it is too much trouble right now. Airline flight cancellations, constant testing (even though we’ve had three vacs) and the fear of being quarantined quash the idea.  We don’t like to mask for long periods of time, even though we always do indoors in stores and such. Plus, we book the Retreat suites when we cruise Celebrity. I’ve checked some cruises in the family distant future, and the Retreat is sold out or mostly so. 

So we personally conclude it is best to invest our cruise money and wait for this mess to be over.

• Like 1

My first reminder here is that when someone posts a "snarky" or "rude" or "off topic comment, please report the post and do not respond to it.  You can report the post but clicking the three vertical dots to the right of the post number and then click REPORT!  It will send a notice to hosts who will review as soon as possible.  We try hard to monitor the boards and we need your help to keep it a friendly place.

As for the issue that the OP is facing, I understand the frustration.  Here's a few comments:

1) Celebrity does permit families to book connecting cabins with adults in one cabin and teens in the connecting cabin.  We have friends that just did this (teens are 18).  However, I believe their TA had to call to get this taken care of.

2)  I'm guessing the issue with your flights lies primarily with Delta and their ever-changing flights schedules. I fly alot for work and it's seldom that my flights don't change. I sadly spend way too much time keeping an eye on them. While Celebrity should step up to bat for you, as previously mentioned here, they are serving as a consolidator and they have no control over things like schedule changes.  I've never booked our flights with Celebrity so I haven't had reason to deal with them. However, I've had plenty of reason to deal with Delta, especially over the past two years.

Have you tried calling Delta and asking for a supervisor?  Apologies, I can't recall if you said  you've done this.  Start with a Delta supervisor!  If you don't get the help you need, I recommend emailing the following Delta executives (contact information is all publicly available), politely explaining your situation: 

Allison Ausband, Delta's Executive VP & Chief Customer Experience Officer

allison.ausband@delta.com;

Tori Forbes-Roberts, SVP Reservation Sales and Customer Care
Victoria.ForbesRoberts@delta.com

Heidi Gould, General Manager – Customer Care

Heidi.gould@delta.com

I seldom reach out to the executive office except in a situation that I believe is absolutely necessary.  I agree with you that I wouldn't want the teenagers on a different flight.  While our daughter flew alone at an early age, times have changed significantly.  As previously mentioned, flights get delayed, diverted, have mechanical issues.  I'd want the kids on the same plane with me if we were in that situation.

I do have to say, when I've had to approach Delta with something serious like this, they were always willing to find a solution that worked for our family.  Airlines are all struggling with limited staff (the reason customer service agents are working from home and are located in different countries), pilot shortages, the list goes on.  Even though I've experienced frustrations at time like you are dealing with, Delta has normally helped us.

Good luck and let us know how it works out.  Sailing Celebrity really is worth it!  I've had the pleasure of sailing on three Celebrity ships since cruising returned last summer...the hassles were worth it!

By the way, one final comment.  Thank you so much to you and your husband for sticking with law enforcement.  You do not get enough appreciation these days!

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Host Anne said:

My first reminder here is that when someone posts a "snarky" or "rude" or "off topic comment, please report the post and do not respond to it.  You can report the post but clicking the three vertical dots to the right of the post number and then click REPORT!  It will send a notice to hosts who will review as soon as possible.  We try hard to monitor the boards and we need your help to keep it a friendly place.

As for the issue that the OP is facing, I understand the frustration.  Here's a few comments:

1) Celebrity does permit families to book connecting cabins with adults in one cabin and teens in the connecting cabin.  We have friends that just did this (teens are 18).  However, I believe their TA had to call to get this taken care of.

2)  I'm guessing the issue with your flights lies primarily with Delta and their ever-changing flights schedules. I fly alot for work and it's seldom that my flights don't change. I sadly spend way too much time keeping an eye on them. While Celebrity should step up to bat for you, as previously mentioned here, they are serving as a consolidator and they have no control over things like schedule changes.  I've never booked our flights with Celebrity so I haven't had reason to deal with them. However, I've had plenty of reason to deal with Delta, especially over the past two years.

Have you tried calling Delta and asking for a supervisor?  Apologies, I can't recall if you said  you've done this.  Start with a Delta supervisor!  If you don't get the help you need, I recommend emailing the following Delta executives (contact information is all publicly available), politely explaining your situation: 

Allison Ausband, Delta's Executive VP & Chief Customer Experience Officer

allison.ausband@delta.com;

Tori Forbes-Roberts, SVP Reservation Sales and Customer Care
Victoria.ForbesRoberts@delta.com

Heidi Gould, General Manager – Customer Care

Heidi.gould@delta.com

I seldom reach out to the executive office except in a situation that I believe is absolutely necessary.  I agree with you that I wouldn't want the teenagers on a different flight.  While our daughter flew alone at an early age, times have changed significantly.  As previously mentioned, flights get delayed, diverted, have mechanical issues.  I'd want the kids on the same plane with me if we were in that situation.

I do have to say, when I've had to approach Delta with something serious like this, they were always willing to find a solution that worked for our family.  Airlines are all struggling with limited staff (the reason customer service agents are working from home and are located in different countries), pilot shortages, the list goes on.  Even though I've experienced frustrations at time like you are dealing with, Delta has normally helped us.

Good luck and let us know how it works out.  Sailing Celebrity really is worth it!  I've had the pleasure of sailing on three Celebrity ships since cruising returned last summer...the hassles were worth it!

By the way, one final comment.  Thank you so much to you and your husband for sticking with law enforcement.  You do not get enough appreciation these days!

Teens for the purposes of travel are under the age of 18. Also, they cannot have balcony cabin.

1 hour ago, Guppy99 said:

Teens for the purposes of travel are under the age of 18. Also, they cannot have balcony cabin.

I've sent a message to my TA about this since we just had friends who were able to do this.  I also cannot find anything on Celebrity's website that states they cannot have connecting cabins or connecting balconies.  I'll post when I learn more.  

8 minutes ago, Host Anne said:

I've sent a message to my TA about this since we just had friends who were able to do this.  I also cannot find anything on Celebrity's website that states they cannot have connecting cabins or connecting balconies.  I'll post when I learn more.  

Try a dummy booking. They will not allow you to get past the first step.

8 minutes ago, Guppy99 said:

Try a dummy booking. They will not allow you to get past the first step.

I mentioned in my previous post that this is something a travel agent has to "call" to make the booking.  Maybe you missed that.  Let's not debate this here.  Let's wait until we can get a definitive answer from Celebrity.  I just know that we had friends who recently booked this through their travel agent.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, 5waldos said:

Put an adult in each room. Then sleep wherever you want to.

I guess the rules and associated safety concerns are for everyone to just ignore.  Please do not complain then when Celebrity refuses to enforce masking, reserving lounges etc.

1 hour ago, Guppy99 said:

I guess the rules and associated safety concerns are for everyone to just ignore.  Please do not complain then when Celebrity refuses to enforce masking, reserving lounges etc.

You are right- I am being a bit hypocritical. Will have to think this over. 

Thank you for what you do.  Your jobs are so valuable. 

I hear and feel your frustration!  Celebrity offers such a wonderful cruise experience.  Too bad the "before" is so awful.

I have no first hand experience with these contacts, but have seen these mentioned on the boards.  Hopefully it will be useful to you.

celebrityengagementcenter @celebrity.com

Jennifermorales@celebrity.com (senior director of celebrity engagement)

And as a last resort:

Lisa Lutoff-Perlo

President and Chief  Executive Officer

lLutoff-Perlo@celebritycruises.com

Over the months/.years, people have noted that when a communication is sent to LLP, someone from her office responds quickly.  

Aloha and good luck with your vacation.

On 2/19/2022 at 1:11 PM, Mollypuss said:

I’ve been a member here for 21 years but am not very active on the boards anymore. I’m so frustrated and hoping to find some suggestions. We are loyal Royal Caribbean cruisers but booked the Edge for 03/2020 and Infinity Mediterranean for 06/2020. Obviously those were cancelled because of Covid so we are giving it another shot on the Apex, 3/19 sailing. It will be my husband and I in one cabin and our daughter and 2 of her friends in a cabin next door. The girls are all high school seniors. 

From the first phone call to book cabins to the last phone call on Monday, I’ve spent 16 hours and 7 minutes talking to Celebrity and/or flights by Celebrity. I booked in September and we were only able to get ocean view cabins because of having minors in another cabin. All verandas were not available with 2 next to each other per cruise line policy. We always get a balcony….so ok, we said no big deal…let’s go and enjoy anyway. Booked flights thru cruise because airfare was super expensive and we were flying in the day of embarkation because girls have school Friday. Then our flights were changed twice and had us landing at 1:30 (including connection) for a 3pm all aboard. Not comfortable with that and after hours on the phone we decided to pay more and fly in the night before arriving at 12:30am and us spending $600 for 2 hotel rooms. Received an email last week showing our return flight being changed just for my husband and myself and the girls are still on the original flight. What?? I called again and the blame game started…it is Deltas fault…Delta says it’s Celebrity’s fault. Now both flights are sold out except first class and we’re not flying home from Ft Lauderdale with 2 girls that are not ours and we are responsible for them. The last agent I spoke with was submitting an airline change routing us thru Chicago where I really don’t want to go with potential for winter weather. I’ve heard nothing. I suggested they book us first class seats because WE did not change our flight and they wouldn’t do it. The agents I’ve talked with have had:

1. Neighbors street racing so loudly I could not hear her (she said that’s what was happening)

2. A baby crying in the background for over an hour

4. Hung up on twice

I am frustrated because Celebrity is a superior cruise line. I expected better customer service…or at least standard! I’m questioning whether this was the right move trying out Celebrity. Our daughter is older so we’d like to get away from the family oriented cruises and move to more relaxed and nicer. How do I get the flight issue resolved and I’m assuming our cabins will be changed since we currently have them in the quarantine area? Is there a customer service supervisor that I can speak with? Thanks for your help!

Do you have an update on your situation.  We are sailing with you and hope to see you onboard.

• Thanks 1