Never sailed O need help

sunsetme

10 minutes ago, sunsetme said:

50 cruises but never on O. What are the cabins like? Is it an older demographic? What activities are onboard? Any advice, looking at REgatta Mexico out of LA.

I will leave all the answers to others but my husband and I will be on that cruise May 3 and looking forward to actually traveling again..

Jancruz1

35 minutes ago, sunsetme said:

50 cruises but never on O. What are the cabins like? Is it an older demographic? What activities are onboard? Any advice, looking at REgatta Mexico out of LA.

Every cruise is different, depending on the itinerary, time of year etc but definitely skews to an older crowd. They have all types of activities, sports (table tennis, shuffleboard), trivia, bingo, afternoon tea etc. The biggest problem is finding the time to visit the ports and do the activities ~ cruises require more than 24 hours in a day so you can enjoy it all! 🤣🤣🤣

We’ve done that cruise, had a great time.  Like all cruises it depends on the crew you get and what you expect.  Food is fair to very good, activities-again depends on you.  I’d go for the best suite you can get-because you do spend time in the suite and the extra perks that come with it.

I love the R-ships (like Regatta), but the regular cabins are small and the showers in the bathrooms are tiny.  If you can get a PH, the cabins are fine [I don't know if Oceania has replaced the bathtubs with showers; if yes they are terrific showers].  And the OS suites in the aft corners are just wonderful.

What type of cabin are you looking at?

You can see the details of the different cabin categories

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/ships/regatta/suites-staterooms/

Usually older  demographics 50+  sometimes there are a few younger people  just depends

On the Preismans blog  he has some Dailies  from several years ago but pretty much the same

https://www.thepreismans.com/bermuda_regatta_dailies.htm

The ship has been refurbished since his review   but gives you an idea of the ship etc..

14 hours ago, sunsetme said:

... Is it an older demographic? What activities are onboard?....

This might give you some idea... The comedian on our cruise did 2 shows. The first was at 5:30 PM. I think on day 3. The second was at 9:30 PM. I think on day 8. Wife and I went to the 2nd show. Comis was quite good. Funny and "clean". But I was outside the auditorium for the 1st show and it was like a herd of stampeding elephants running to get to their 6:30 PM dining reservations as the show ended. And don't be surprised by walkers. The cabin next to us on Deck 9 far aft port had a motorized scooter parked outside the entire voyage.

16 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

This might give you some idea... The comedian on our cruise did 2 shows. The first was at 5:30 PM. I think on day 3. The second was at 9:30 PM. I think on day 8. Wife and I went to the 2nd show. Comis was quite good. Funny and "clean". But I was outside the auditorium for the 1st show and it was like a herd of stampeding elephants running to get to their 6:30 PM dining reservations as the show ended. And don't be surprised by walkers. The cabin next to us on Deck 9 far aft port had a motorized scooter parked outside the entire voyage.

A 5;30  show is rare 

Yes  you never see walkers or scooters on other cruise lines  🙄

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

14 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

A 5:30 show is rare 

Saved all of the Currents from our voyage. Found it funny that:

- "Dance Time with the Riviera Showband" as always 5:30-6:15 pm and then a 6:30-7:15 pm encore.

- "MENSA Daily Quiz" was at 5 or 5:30 pm daily.

- "Team Triva" was at 4:30 or 5 PM daily.

- Blackjack tournaments (wife's, not mine) were at 1:30 PM.

What was it that amused you about that? 

I started cruising Oceania when I was about 50. Historically I have been one of the younger ones aboard. I personally enjoy the people older than I that I have met over the years on Oceania. Most of them are well traveled, pretty sharp, and usually good Trivia players. Walkers, scooters wheelchairs etc. don't bother me, unless it's someone that doesn't usually use a scooter and rents it for the cruise, and is not very familiar with the way they work. These people can be a danger to themselves and others. If we live long enough we'll all get old someday. If older people are a determining factor on whether you go on a cruise line or not you should probably scratch Oceania off your list. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, MEFIowa said:

- "Dance Time with the Riviera Showband" as always 5:30-6:15 pm and then a 6:30-7:15 pm encore.

There is ZERO "funny" about these times in terms of indicating an older crowd on a ship. These sorts of activities are very common in afternoon or late afternoon prior to dinner on "mainstream" more youth oriented lines also. Blackjack tournaments are nearly always held in the afternoon on sea days.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, ORV said:

What was it that amused you about that? ...

All we had to go on were the photographs in all the brochures mailed to us during 2021. We were new to cruising, let alone to Oceania. Not sure I'd say the pictures were representative of who was on board and what they were doing.

Didn't impact us. We were off the boat when it got into a port and we came back on as late as we could. Unless we were at sea, I was clueless as to what was going on from about 0830-1630. Thus, we walked for hours and miles exploring Belize City, enjoying a lovely lazy Sunday there. Or gone all day up the Rio Dulce & in Livingston. And being with sloths & driving all over Roatan. With almost an entire day at the Dolphin Discovery in Cozumel (plus manatees).

23 minutes ago, edgee said:

There is ZERO "funny" about these times in terms of indicating an older crowd on a ship... 

When all you have to go on are all the photographs in the brochures we were literally buried under in 2021 once we signed up for the cruise. What I expected and what I saw were relatively different, both as to passengers & their activities. For example, with 719 on board, even on a sunny afternoon at sea, the pool rarely had more than 4 people in it. Often one British woman and her husband as they swam "laps". Didn't bother us. We did our excursions and enjoyed the pool and spa area a lot. And signed up for an 11/22 cruise on Sirena. NOW we know what to expect.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

All we had to go on were the photographs in all the brochures mailed to us during 2021. We were new to cruising, let alone to Oceania. Not sure I'd say the pictures were representative of who was on board and what they were doing.

I get brochures from pretty much every cruise line going.  I have yet to see pictures in them that are representative of real passengers.  They are all professional models, who may never have set foot on a ship except for these 'shoots.'

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, MEFIowa said:

I would not call them SHOWS  they are activities

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, MEFIowa said:

Patients my friend.....  one day YOU will be using a walker and be thankful for it too. We will all one day end up there  or worse.    Remember those with walkers are only trying to experience  the joy that your having and that they remember....    Treat them with kindness and respect.... because that's  you in a few all short years whether you realize it of not....  Time hurries on...and not all the time kind. 

• Like 1

Regatta is a  wonderful ship much like a British country house charm...  It has a  subdued charm with warm wood and wrought iron rails like a private  St James club...   It is a connection to the golden age of ocean travel in the past.  It is an adequate size...not huge  but more intimate.   

People love her for the opportunity to converse and enjoy  the small 600 max passengers     Dining and conversation comprise the main attractions.    It is not gala shows, and parties but human interaction the main attraction.    Dining and cuisine are astounding in every venue...it is difficult to choose ones daily pleasure.     Best Cuisine at sea thy  say and I agree..

In short ,YOU are the entertainment and your fellow passengers. Many are retired professionals and high achiever's who now seek out the quiet ambiance the ship exuded to relax with similar like minded people.   

The demographic is thus more mature, well traveled and well mannered....a big difference from mass market floating  resorts.  There are few if any children and no program for them.  It is an adult redoubt.

After dinner most passengers retire to their cabins to enjoy  enjoying being at sea.     The cabins are adequate but not large.        

Regatta is not for everyone.... but it is fits you then it will enthrall you.     It is that sort of experience that in a bustling  world you can find refuge from.       Question is....is this YOU? 

Edited by Hawaiidan
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

Rivera is a  wonderful ship much like a British country house charm...  It has a  subdued charm with warm wood and wrought iron rails like a private  St James club...  

HMMM  have you been on Oceania in the past few years ??

2 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

HMMM  have you been on Oceania in the past few years ??

2019  before they shut....    Yes I am aware of the grey   but doubt they could have changed  it all.   The Library and bar used to blow me away with its class.     Dont tell me.....!!!!

1 hour ago, sunsetme said:

what are the cabins like compared to Celebrity or Princess? I tend to book the basic balcony.

And from Oceania's web pages, a description, picture and layout for the "basic" Regatta veranda stateroom (B1/2):

Oceania Cruises Regatta Cruise Ship | Veranda Stateroom | Oceania Cruises

14 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

2019  before they shut.... The Library and bar used to blow me away with its class. ...

The library on Riviera was quite beautiful, relaxing, and with a decent selection of a wide variety of books. Saw many a person enjoying it in Dec '21.

• Like 1

We were in our mid and late 30’s when we started cruising with Oceania in 2003, it quickly became our standard for what we wanted in a cruise vacation.   We appreciate the calmness of the ships, and have always enjoyed the demographics.  We’re there to relax, not to be bombarded day and night with pool deck parties.   It’s our happy place. 

Edited to add that we had already fallen in love with the smaller ships themselves when we sailed with Renaissance.  It has always felt like coming home when we board.  

Edited by LNielsen
  • Like 2