First Timer Questions - Alaska on the Encore in June

Dlb723

Good morning,

I am a very novice cruiser - my family went on a small 3 night Disney cruise eight years ago.  We are now planning our first longer cruise - 7 nights on the Encore touring Alaska in June 2022.  It will be me, my husband, and two sons, ages 14 and 16.  We have two rooms a balcony and an interior on Deck 12.  We are also traveling with family and friends who have 4 other cabins reserved.  In terms of options, we have 2 nights of specialty dining as well as the drinks package.

We have several reservations made already - dinner at Cagney's and Q's Smokehouse.  We have the Last Frontier UTV Adventure in Skagway and Fly Fishing or Taku Glacier Lodge Flight and Feast in Juneau.  We had a halibut fishing adventure and fishing / wilderness dining in Ketchikan but those were cancelled.

As a newbie in this space, I have some questions.  I've been able to get some answers through the boards and really appreciate everyone's knowledge!

• Attire - What should the boys have for clothing on the ship?  How should they dress for dinners?  I know Alaskan cruises are more casual.  Are they okay with athletic pants / sneakers?  What is appropriate and does it differ based on where we are eating?
  • Go-karts - The boys want the unlimited go-kart pass for $199.  Who do I see when we get on the ship to purchase this?
  • Water - We drink a lot of water.  Are we better off pre-purchasing this?  Can we get water with the drink packages?
  • Thermal Spa - I keep reading about the amazing thermal spa.  Where can I get more info?  What does it cost - and is it per person or per room?  And when do I purchase?
  • Shows - Do I need reservations for Choir of Man, Cavern Club, or Kinky Boots (fingers crossed that it is back!)?
  • Ketchikan - Is there a chance our excursions will become available here?  My husband really wanted to halibut fish.  What other options or recommendations do you have?

I think that sums it up.  Is there anything else I should know or be prepared for?  Thanks for the input!

D-

5 minutes ago, Dlb723 said:

• Attire - What should the boys have for clothing on the ship?  How should they dress for dinners?  I know Alaskan cruises are more casual.  Are they okay with athletic pants / sneakers?  What is appropriate and does it differ based on where we are eating?

Depends on the venue.  Some of the specialty venues will ask that the attire be a little more formal (not to the level of a tie though).

7 minutes ago, Dlb723 said:

Water - We drink a lot of water.  Are we better off pre-purchasing this?  Can we get water with the drink packages?

Not bottled water unless you get the upgraded package, but you can get all the water in a glass that you want.  I've survived 2 separate weeks on the Bliss just drinking non-bottled water.  I bring at least one 32 oz. Nalgene bottle with me and fill that.

9 minutes ago, Dlb723 said:

Shows - Do I need reservations for Choir of Man, Cavern Club, or Kinky Boots (fingers crossed that it is back!)?

Theater shows, maybe.  Reservations for theater shows have been needed in the past.  At reduced capacity there's not much need for them.  Cavern Club is a first-come, first-entry venue.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Dlb723 said:

• Thermal Spa - I keep reading about the amazing thermal spa.  Where can I get more info?  What does it cost - and is it per person or per room?  And when do I purchase?

If you go to your cruise under your account on the NCL web site it should default to the Explore & Plan: Things To Do section.  There should be a Spa tab where you can book it for the week.  I believe it has typically been in the $199 range for a week.  That is per person.  You can also usually get day passes during the cruise for around $59 per person.  I would expect there is more information about the spa there but if not you can look up the ship on the site and there should be details.

Edited by Karaboudjan
Fix a word
  • Like 1

Thermal Spa - I keep reading about the amazing thermal spa.  Where can I get more info?  What does it cost - and is it per person or per room?  And when do I purchase?

Weekly cost for the Spa on sister ship Bliss is $249 for our late May 2022 cruise. 

Youtube has an excellent video Norwegian Encore Mandara Spa - check it out

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dlb723 said:

Are they okay with athletic pants / sneakers?

I've worn sweatpants and slippers all over the ship, and only received envy from the other old guys whose wives made them dress "nicer." 😎  It's my vacation and I'll dress how I want to (i.e. COMFORTABLE).  

• Like 2

LOL you might get people into a clothes debate on your question on what to wear.  Some get upset at the dress code recommendation and why should anyone care what others are wearing, and some think you need to follow NCL's guidelines perfectly.  

We are on the Encore in June and traveling with my in-laws who have never cruised.  We were just discussing attire and I directed them to this link with info from NCL on what is appropriate: 

https://www.ncl.com/ca/en/cruise-faq/what-clothes-should-i-pack

For DH & I we basically follow NCL's guidelines for the main dining room (MDR).  But for shoes DH doesn't always wear actual dress shoes.  If he isn't doing a tux and just khakis and a collar shirt he will sometimes wear all black Vans shoes.  Your boys may already have Vans like that.  We've never been given dirty looks.   

If we don't eat in the MDR we don't change for the night.  But that'd be eating in the buffet or The Local (like a casual restaurant) never ate in a speciality restaurant.  We're pretty basic dressed people.  We hate jeans and never wear, DH doesn't even own any.  Our normal pants are casual pants from Prana or Kuhl so they could somewhat look like dress pants.  We also don't wear screen printed style shirts.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dlb723 said:

Good morning,

I am a very novice cruiser - my family went on a small 3 night Disney cruise eight years ago.  We are now planning our first longer cruise - 7 nights on the Encore touring Alaska in June 2022.  It will be me, my husband, and two sons, ages 14 and 16.  We have two rooms a balcony and an interior on Deck 12.  We are also traveling with family and friends who have 4 other cabins reserved.  In terms of options, we have 2 nights of specialty dining as well as the drinks package.

We have several reservations made already - dinner at Cagney's and Q's Smokehouse.  We have the Last Frontier UTV Adventure in Skagway and Fly Fishing or Taku Glacier Lodge Flight and Feast in Juneau.  We had a halibut fishing adventure and fishing / wilderness dining in Ketchikan but those were cancelled.

As a newbie in this space, I have some questions.  I've been able to get some answers through the boards and really appreciate everyone's knowledge!

• Go-karts - The boys want the unlimited go-kart pass for $199.  Who do I see when we get on the ship to purchase this?
  • Water - We drink a lot of water.  Are we better off pre-purchasing this?  Can we get water with the drink packages?
  • Shows - Do I need reservations for Choir of Man, Cavern Club, or Kinky Boots (fingers crossed that it is back!)?
  • Ketchikan - Is there a chance our excursions will become available here?  My husband really wanted to halibut fish.  What other options or recommendations do you have?

I think that sums it up.  Is there anything else I should know or be prepared for?  Thanks for the input!

D-

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

• Shorts are allowed in all restaurants for all meals by all persons EXCEPT Le Bistro and Ocean Blue where they ask that gents wear long pants (jeans or dockers are fine) and a collared shirt (polo shirt). So, dress is very casual. NCL embraces Freestyle Cruising and "Dress Up or Not". Some folks will get all gussied up for photos. 
  • When  packing, remember that at least one day is glacier day. For that, you are likely wanting to be out on deck. Recommend a winter jacket, hat, and gloves as the temperatures will be... glacier like.
  • Also remember that you are in rain forest areas and it will likely rain often during your voyage. Have some rain gear just in case. 
  • And despite the fact that you are in Alaska, kids appreciate the heated pools, so some swimwear would be recommended. 
  • Go to The Social, Deck 6 Mid-ship and make your reservations.
  • This is only available with the Premium Plus drinks package. (Which is a per-day upgrade from the "free" drinks package that comes with your reservation. If you really want a lot of water, pre-order it and it will be in your cabin on arrival. 
  • Should be available online (for a small discount) or in the Spa on embarkation day. It is about $200 per person for the week. 
  • Yes. Reservations are recommended. Since you have already booked dinners, entertainment reservations, if available, will also be open. Otherwise, as soon as you embark, go to The Social, Deck 6 Mid-ship and make your entertainment reservations. Then walk across the hall to Teppanyaki to fix your dinner reservations to work with with your shows. You can book main theater shows and comedy club shows (early shows family oriented, late shows 18+).  Prohibition the Musical, they can also be booked for an additional charge. 
  •  

• Like 2

We cruise to Alaska every year, with the exception of the disruption.

BIRD covered most questions well.

Some additional suggestions from our experiences.

- first night , at sea, can have a lot of motion. Ship moving fast to get north and in open water. This is usually the most motion for cruise. The newer ships have stabilizers they employ if too much motion.
Plan ahead if anyone has motion issues. 

- as mentioned, warm jacket, hats and gloves, especially for Glacier Bay.

also binoculars needed to see wildlife. Whales at sea etc.

- magnets for cabin. Walls are metal. We use some with hooks for jackets,hats and lanyards by door. Flat magnets for posting notes and Dailies on wall by desk.

-plug in nightlight 

-daypacks for excursions

-dress in layers . Dress is casual. Jeans, t shirt and hoodie etc. Dinner we wear slacks and nice sweater.

-bring swimwear. On recent cruise, Skagway had sunny day. we did water slides in the afternoon. Crew running slides were wearing parkas.😀

-did plenty of excursions in rain. Have outer wear that is rain proof. Umbrellas are frowned upon, Anorak style jacket ( with hood) works best.

Have a great cruise. should be a wonderful lifetime memory for your family.

Edited by phissy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would just add that tap water on the ship is perfectly fine to drink. We take our own sports flasks and keep them filled up great for taking off on excursions and on long flights to keep hydrated. Love the spa on NCL just can’t cruise without spa passes now. ( spoilt)There is something special in relaxing on a heated stone lounger admiring the Alaskan scenery.

• Like 1

Phissy - wonderful advice.  My oldest son got sick on our Disney cruise but we had a really rough night over open seas.  I will be medicating him the entire time and hope that does the trick.

Thank you!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dlb723 said:

Phissy - wonderful advice.  My oldest son got sick on our Disney cruise but we had a really rough night over open seas.  I will be medicating him the entire time and hope that does the trick.

Thank you!

Might need to medicate yourself as well! For cruises out of Seattle, the first sea day takes you west of Vancouver Island. It can be bumpy even with stabilizers. Better to be cautious than nauseous… 😁  (that would be a great slogan for Bonine)

Echoing what others have said about dining attire. NCL is my preferred cruise line in part because I live in Seattle and dressing up means wearing the fleece pullover without the coffee stains. Just pack a polo shirt and long pants for each male and they’ll be fine at any of the restaurants. 

If your itinerary includes Glacier Bay, the captain will open the bow area for viewing. It will be cold, but awesome. The captain will spin the ship (slowly!) at the glaciers so no matter what side of the ship your balcony cabin is on, you’ll get a great view. Since I book Studios for Alaska, I head out to The Waterfront on deck 8 for prime scenery views. 

64 days until my next Alaska NCL cruise, yeah!

• Like 2

On 2/22/2022 at 11:29 AM, Dlb723 said:

D-

We did Alaska at the end of August/beginning of September last year. Beautiful if you love nature and scenery and outdoorsy stuff, but it was the worst trip to pack for you. You literally need clothes for all 4 seasons just in case. Definitely bring layers, or a good waterproof coat that can unzip and remove the inner/outer shell as needed. We got lucky and had great weather all days except one, but small stretchy gloves that fit into an outer coat pocket are great to have on hand when needed.

The only time we've ever been stopped on an NCL cruise was going into the Manhattan room (fancier main dining room) and Le Bistro where hubby had to go put on pants. Sneaker are always fine, they just like long pants on gents. Which I find silly, because one time there was a young girl wearing shorts so short that half her cheeks were sticking out with a sleeveless top and she was fine.... go figure.

Bring a refillable water bottle. Save yourself the money. You can refill it at the buffet for free, and I've heard some bartenders are willing to help refill it as well.

Cavern Club has no reservations and fills up quickly. If there's a show you want to see there, get there at least 30-45 mins early and get comfy.

Our favorite excursions were the Tracy Arms glacier in Juneau and Hummer tour in Ketchikan. In Juneau you get super close to the glacier and sail ahead of the main ship. It was surreal sailing past all the icebergs and we saw a TON of wildlife we wouldn't have seen if we stayed on the main ship only. Plus, glaciarita's... if you're in the know, you know.

The hummer tour in Ketchikan is a private tour that fits up to 5 people, so the price is per car not person. If you have a decent size group it's great because they'll custom tailor it to whatever you want to see/do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/25/2022 at 11:22 AM, coastcat said:

Might need to medicate yourself as well! For cruises out of Seattle, the first sea day takes you west of Vancouver Island. It can be bumpy even with stabilizers. Better to be cautious than nauseous… 😁  (that would be a great slogan for Bonine)

Is the potential for "rougher" waters out of Seattle typically more so on the day you board the ship or first full sea day.. or both? We will be traveling to Alaska with family who have only been on one prior cruise that resulted in bad sea sickness, trying to plan for a a much better experience with that this time. Or I am going to be feeling really guilty about planning this vacation 🤪

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ama123 said:

Is the potential for "rougher" waters out of Seattle typically more so on the day you board the ship or first full sea day.. or both? We will be traveling to Alaska with family who have only been on one prior cruise that resulted in bad sea sickness, trying to plan for a a much better experience with that this time. Or I am going to be feeling really guilty about planning this vacation 🤪

Crew told us they always eat green apples for seasickness. Always available in buffet. . 

• Like 4

In regards to the water, we just bring empty Nalgenes for my husband and myself, and water bottle for the Twins.  We go to one of the bars in the morning and ask for water with no ice.  They don't want you filling up the water bottles at the buffet and they were pretty clear about it.  I'm sure in these Covid times they really don't want you doing that.  In the past the bar tenders have filled out our water bottles behind the bar but that was stopped on the last cruises we went on pre-covid.

We did an Alaska cruise 13 years ago and loved it.  I would buy one of those rain jackets that fold up super small so that you can carry it with you and pull it out if need be.  For what it's worth they were having a heat wave when we were there.  The weather was beautiful, in the 70s, you should have heard the local complaining about how hot and humid it was.

You'll need layers for the glacial day for sure.  I wish we had brought binoculars for that day as well, it was hard to see the goats and wildlife on the side of the glacier.  We did the train in Skagway and just walked into town and bought the tickets for it at the actual train station.  It was about $40 cheaper a ticket.  We did a sea plane flight over Juneau, it was really cool taking off, and landing, in the water.

Besides dramamine I would make sure you have the motion sickness patches or the bracelets.  There were a lot of people sea sick the first night.  

Have fun, it was a great trip!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ama123 said:

First full (sea) day, although it'll start getting a little rougher as the first night wears on. A multi-layer strategy may be helpful, even if it might be more psychological than physiological: motion sickness med + green apples and/or ginger + acupressure bands could be overkill but then again, it might not! I've never tried the bands or green apples. For me, Bonine (one tablet nightly starting the night before embarkation) plus ginger chews (as needed, or just whenever because I love them) does the job.

It's not always terrible! It just depends on the mood of the Pacific. My first cruise to Alaska was... oooof. The next two were much calmer. The last day of the cruise will also be a little rough although so far it's seemed less so than the first day. That's probably more due to acclimatization than ocean conditions. Coolest part of my Encore cruise last August was sitting in the thermal spa's thalassotherapy pool on the last evening - it was like a wave pool! Oddly enough, no one else was daft enough to be in there with me...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I am loving all this advice and am taking it all in.  Definitely will bring long pants and a polo for the guys and some multi-layer seasickness protection.  I will also check out the Hummer tour in Ketchikan.  We are under 100 days!

On 2/25/2022 at 5:33 AM, Dlb723 said:

Thank you!

I'm prone to sea sickness, even in calm waters and have perfected my regime for lessening seasickness to virtually none. 

I use Bonine or non-drowsy Dramamine, starting the night before the cruise and the morning of the cruise and then continue accordingly. I also buy GInger Chews and have Ginger Ale delivered to the cabin before the cruise. At any pharmacy, I  pick up a wrist band for sea sickness and wear it all the time. They're over the counter. 

The crew use green apples for sea sickness and you'll notice them around the ship when it's rough- they were on the Bliss when I cruised to Alaska last.

Enjoy your trip.

• Like 1

On 2/22/2022 at 10:29 AM, Dlb723 said:

Good morning,

D-

technically, "children" are welcome anywhere with nice shorts.  But long pants (jeans included), and a collared polo are fine, if "dressing up" is required.  Sneakers should be fine, since they are closed toed.  Only a couple of restaurants require dressing up - I believe Moderno and Le Bistro (double check, Im not sure about Encore).

You should be able to pre-purchase the go-kart pass in the Explore and Plan menu.  Ditto Arcade pass, etc.

You dont get bottled water with the drink package.  You can purchase water for the stateroom in advance, also through the Explore and Plan menu.  Or, you can upgrade to the premium plus package for the adults and then the adults will have bottled water included.

Spa pass is per person, and depends on the ship and length of sailing.  Explore and Plan menu is also the way to get this. 

Shows - yes.  You should be able to do this onboard, either through guest services, or through your stateroom TV.

no idea about the excursion in Ketchikan.  Sorry.  We havent done an Alaskan cruise yet.

• Like 1