Southampton Hotel

Deafcruise

1 minute ago, Deafcruise said:

Thanks as it our first time so will arrive night before and enjoy the hotel etc. (we have booked Harbour Hotel) 

If eating 'in', it's a good idea to pre book one of the restaurants.

Oh and if you enjoy G&T, order a bottle or two of Tonic or slip one into your luggage.

I can't give an opinion on in room coffee or tea, but the complimentary  sherry and gin are most welcome for a slurp or two.🙂

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

If eating 'in', it's a good idea to pre book one of the restaurants.

Oh and if you enjoy G&T, order a bottle or two of Tonic or slip one into your luggage.

I can't give an opinion on in room coffee or tea, but the complimentary  sherry and gin are most welcome for a slurp or two.🙂

Complimentary sherry/gin is that in the hotel or QG?

15 minutes ago, Deafcruise said:

Complimentary sherry/gin is that in the hotel or QG?

Hotel room.

Gin is available as one of the two choices on the QG in-cabin list. Can' t remember if sherry is or not. We go for Gin and a bottle of wine. 🙂

1 minute ago, Victoria2 said:

Hotel room.

Gin is available as one of the two choices on the QG in-cabin list. Can' t remember if sherry is or not. We go for Gin and a bottle of wine. 🙂

Ooohh sherry as a nightcap in the hotel sound lovely!

Thank you for useful information regarding the gala nights.  This will be our first cruise on Cunard and really looking forward to our roundtrip transatlantic cruise on the 21st August 2022.  My husband has dementia and so I think this will be our last cruise of many previous cruises.  Hope we come home with lots of lovely memories for my husband to talk about. 

We are staying in a nearby Premier Inn which is perfectly adequate for us for just one night.  Managed to get free parking offered by Cunard.   I understand Cunard have their own berth now.  Cruised from Southampton pre-covid from the Mayflower terminal.  Is this is the same one?  Thank you.

We're flying in day before and have booked taxi to Southampton. About 9 months pre trip I booked The Harbour at £295 and Room2 Hometel at £135. Never having stayed at either. I've now cancelled Harbour.

We don't need parking, there are several restaurants & cafes to choose from near Room2, check in/out times are good, room sizes seem to be same as Harbour, a well known booking site gives both same rating, and although it doesn't make much difference with a taxi Room2 is slightly closer to Mayflower Terminal, where QM2 is currently shown to be departing from.

For an extra £160 I didn't think Harbour was worth it. That should pay for dinner & breakfast.

Obviously needing parking might make a difference.

I'll try and report on Room2 after we visit.

5 hours ago, carolc00 said:

... I understand Cunard have their own berth now.  Cruised from Southampton pre-covid from the Mayflower terminal.  Is this is the same one?  Thank you.

I'd be interested to learn more about Cunard having their own berth in Southampton. I haven't heard that, but then I miss a lot of UK news over here in the US.

I understand the new Horizon cruise terminal opened last year at berth 102 (between the Mayflower and City terminals). But I don't think Cunard have been using that terminal.

Cunard have mostly been using the Mayflower and Ocean terminals. I note only Carnival brand cruise ships (including Cunard) are on the Southampton VTS cruise ship schedule for the Mayflower and Ocean terminals. Cunard will use the QEII terminal when the Mayflower and Ocean terminals are in use. Cunard rarely use the City terminal, perhaps only when there isn't space available elsewhere.

20 hours ago, majortom10 said:

Not £200+ for room only.

Thank you for confirming the “many” will happily pay £200.00 for a room, but not 1 penny over this figure, even if it denies the Hotel they may have a wish to stay at.  Fully understand the fiscal thoughts of the “many” and accept one is part of the few.  

10 hours ago, bluemarble said:

I'd be interested to learn more about Cunard having their own berth in Southampton. I haven't heard that, but then I miss a lot of UK news over here in the US.

I understand the new Horizon cruise terminal opened last year at berth 102 (between the Mayflower and City terminals). But I don't think Cunard have been using that terminal.

Cunard have mostly been using the Mayflower and Ocean terminals. I note only Carnival brand cruise ships (including Cunard) are on the Southampton VTS cruise ship schedule for the Mayflower and Ocean terminals. Cunard will use the QEII terminal when the Mayflower and Ocean terminals are in use. Cunard rarely use the City terminal, perhaps only when there isn't space available elsewhere.

To my knowledge Cunard use Ocean and Mayflower in normal circumstances in association with P&O and Princess and the very rare occasion QE11 Terminal and do not have their own dedicated terminal.

17 hours ago, carolc00 said:

Thank you for useful information regarding the gala nights.  This will be our first cruise on Cunard and really looking forward to our roundtrip transatlantic cruise on the 21st August 2022.  My husband has dementia and so I think this will be our last cruise of many previous cruises.  Hope we come home with lots of lovely memories for my husband to talk about. 

We are staying in a nearby Premier Inn which is perfectly adequate for us for just one night.  Managed to get free parking offered by Cunard.   I understand Cunard have their own berth now.  Cruised from Southampton pre-covid from the Mayflower terminal.  Is this is the same one?  Thank you.

Premier Inn is my first choice for a pre-cruise overnight. I never need parking, so I don't know if they offer it. 

Sorry to hear it might be your last cruise. Make it special by having a portrait taken on a formal night. And don't be afraid to personalize it a bit.  One of my favorite "formal" portraits is one where I chose how we would pose. The photographers on QM2 were doing poses that looked like prom pictures, very stiff. My husband had trouble standing up straight, so I had us sit on the stairs in the atrium with my arm around his shoulders. It's casual and glam at the same time. 

• Like 1

On 2/27/2022 at 10:36 PM, Victoria2 said:

Harbour Hotel and Spa. No contest. Parking is free and they will valet park the car for you if you want. When you’re ready to depart, it’s a 2 min drive to the cruise terminal and having pre booked CPS parking, you just unload the car and hand the keys over.

We have booked Harbour hotel for the night before our cruise. We also have the option of leaving our car with the hotel for £6pd. They said they will take our car to the multi storey facing they have a dedicated floor just for the hotel with cctv cameras. The public cannot enter this floor unless they are staying at the hotel. They said they could drive us to the cruise port and drop us off  and when we let them know our time for disembarkation they will collect us and our car will be waiting for us at the hotel. I am still undecided to leave our car at the hotel or use CPS the difference is £70 to use CPS 

1 hour ago, shopping girl said:

We have booked Harbour hotel for the night before our cruise. We also have the option of leaving our car with the hotel for £6pd. They said they will take our car to the multi storey facing they have a dedicated floor just for the hotel with cctv cameras. The public cannot enter this floor unless they are staying at the hotel. They said they could drive us to the cruise port and drop us off  and when we let them know our time for disembarkation they will collect us and our car will be waiting for us at the hotel. I am still undecided to leave our car at the hotel or use CPS the difference is £70 to use CPS 

Would be interested to know this too. Where did you see the offer?

6 minutes ago, shopping girl said:

I rang the hotel and I asked about 1 night accommodation and parking while on our cruise.  

Interesting. I hadn't even thought of asking about parking. We've always used CPS as we like the convenience of having the car there at the terminal car park but  as long as any car parking options are secure, then it's down to personal choice.

56 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Interesting. I hadn't even thought of asking about parking. We've always used CPS as we like the convenience of having the car there at the terminal car park but  as long as any car parking options are secure, then it's down to personal choice.

Yeah I thought I would just ask I am pleased I did. Hotel room was £225 on flexi booking just incase the cruise got cancelled we could cancel room. Parking at hotel is £72 for 12 nights so £297 in total. Holiday Inn was £150 and £140 for CPS total £290. Coach was £266 return plus £50 in taxi fares to coach and home total £316. So I decided on the harbour hotel as it worked out the best deal. I think the price puts people off but with the parking it's actually a great deal and a better hotel too 😁

6 hours ago, shopping girl said:

Yeah I thought I would just ask I am pleased I did. Hotel room was £225 on flexi booking just in case the cruise got cancelled we could cancel room. Parking at hotel is £72 for 12 nights so £297 in total. Holiday Inn was £150 and £140 for CPS total £290. Coach was £266 return plus £50 in taxi fares to coach and home total £316. So I decided on the harbour hotel as it worked out the best deal. I think the price puts people off but with the parking it's actually a great deal and a better hotel too 😁

That is a great deal and no brainer on the flexi rate. We've cancelled so many Harbour Hotel bookings with no penalties! The staff are lovely and nothing is too much trouble.

Enjoy, we do. 

14 hours ago, shopping girl said:

Yeah I thought I would just ask I am pleased I did. Hotel room was £225 on flexi booking just incase the cruise got cancelled we could cancel room. Parking at hotel is £72 for 12 nights so £297 in total. Holiday Inn was £150 and £140 for CPS total £290. Coach was £266 return plus £50 in taxi fares to coach and home total £316. So I decided on the harbour hotel as it worked out the best deal. I think the price puts people off but with the parking it's actually a great deal and a better hotel too 😁

Can you not fly from Newcastle anymore. Long Drive or Coach journey

Hotel and parking package  is normally  better value than hotel and seperate cps/parking4U etc.  Package prices to suit every budget.

We like to stay in New Forest for a couple of nights prior to  cruise. But we have time , retired.  Works for us as we then head west after included taxi drops us at our car. Some hotels offer 3 weeks as part of parking package 

If of interest, the Hilton Ageas has a Cruise/Stay/Park package rate (with/without dinner) for 21 days plus, this was the maximum charged.  Plus actually means plus.  For all longer cruisers, including WC (or part) voyages.

3 hours ago, geordiebing said:

Can you not fly from Newcastle anymore. Long Drive or Coach journey

yes we can fly I have checked the flight times and we do not fancy hanging around southampton all day on our return as flights are later on. Plus I am not a light packer :classic_biggrin: