Info about Canada's new covid rules for Cruise ships?

Harrylinden

I really, really want to book my flights but I'm still stressing over the timing of all this.

I sail from Vancouver on 6/1.  Since flights are considerably more expensive than flying to Seattle, that's what I was going to do.  Fly to Seattle the day before sailing.  Book my hotel thru HAL so it includes the transfer to Vancouver (right?).

Sounds like I'd have to get a PCR test before I leave home.  But if the results for that test can take up to 3 days, when do I test?  I'm flying Tuesday, sailing Wednesday.  Could I test Sunday and hope my results are back before my flight on Tuesday afternoon?

Or, If I'm flying to Seattle and spending the night there, can I take a telemed test with me and test from my hotel on Wednesday morning, before the shuttle to Vancouver?  I've taken them twice and it was very easy.  Lots of YouTube videos showing how it's done.

And, FTR, I got a rapid test at my local Walgreens before my last cruise.  It was the 12-hr response test and I had the results in just under an hour.  Of course, that's not guaranteed.

7 hours ago, Sandipalms said:

Broberts & PSR,  I appreciate your taking your time to answer this.

so if I’m understanding;

a negative Antigen test from Abbott BinaxNOW taken 1 day prior to cruise for border & cruise entry or a PCR test taken/results within 72 hours for border/ cruise entry, yes?
Reason for Antigen is that PCR results could take longer as Antigen is done via telemedicine with results usually within 15 minutes.

what if got both an Antigen and PCR to be sure to get into Canada, rather pay than be denied entry.

Thank you for providing HAL cruise ship as my quarantine Point.

Hopefully no break thru cases onboard.

Your assistance and time is greatly appreciated.

Maybe this topic should be moved to the top as the cruise season gets underway, there may be more questions.  
If I make it thru this I will also help post and answer questions for other cruisers going.  Appreciate your patience.

thanks again, Sandipalms

You have the timing correct I believe. Although only if HAL adjusts its 2 day requirement for molecular tests to align with Canadian regulation.

My understanding is that PCR is just one of several types of molecular tests accepted by Canada & HAL. There is an RT-LAMP test that is also acceptable. In Canada it is available in a telehealth-like kit. That may be a viable option for you as results are available quickly and the test can be done anytime and virtually anywhere.

I hope you get to enjoy your cruise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, NCTribeFan said:

I really, really want to book my flights but I'm still stressing over the timing of all this.

I sail from Vancouver on 6/1.  Since flights are considerably more expensive than flying to Seattle, that's what I was going to do.  Fly to Seattle the day before sailing.  Book my hotel thru HAL so it includes the transfer to Vancouver (right?).

Sounds like I'd have to get a PCR test before I leave home.  But if the results for that test can take up to 3 days, when do I test?  I'm flying Tuesday, sailing Wednesday.  Could I test Sunday and hope my results are back before my flight on Tuesday afternoon?

Or, If I'm flying to Seattle and spending the night there, can I take a telemed test with me and test from my hotel on Wednesday morning, before the shuttle to Vancouver?  I've taken them twice and it was very easy.  Lots of YouTube videos showing how it's done.

And, FTR, I got a rapid test at my local Walgreens before my last cruise.  It was the 12-hr response test and I had the results in just under an hour.  Of course, that's not guaranteed.

I checked with Walgreens, they have a PCR/ naat test with results in 2hrs. Canada’s arrive Canada app states that NAAT is a approved PCR test. I hope I’m understanding  this right. Canada could make this a lot better but they want to hold on as long as possible with control 

1 hour ago, NCTribeFan said:

If you are flying to Seattle on Tuesday, then entering Canada and sailing on Wednesday, you could telemed test in your hotel on either Tuesday or Wednesday. Personally, I'd do it on the Tuesday.

23 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

If you are flying to Seattle on Tuesday, then entering Canada and sailing on Wednesday, you could telemed test in your hotel on either Tuesday or Wednesday. Personally, I'd do it on the Tuesday.

But if you test positive, then you're spending $$$ in Seattle instead of being at home.

I'm flying to Vancouver on a Friday and embarking Saturday.  As the rules are now, and because I'm cheap, I would take an antigen test at home Thursday and take another antigen test at YVR on Friday.  Logistically...a pain but doable.  Now logically on the other hand...

6 minutes ago, PACD_JG said:

But if you test positive, then you're spending $$$ in Seattle instead of being at home.

I'm flying to Vancouver on a Friday and embarking Saturday.  As the rules are now, and because I'm cheap, I would take an antigen test at home Thursday and take another antigen test at YVR on Friday.  Logistically...a pain but doable.  Now logically on the other hand...

It does make sense to test before leaving home. But that could be done with an inexpensive, even free unproctored at home test.

20 minutes ago, PACD_JG said:

The poster to whom I was responding had indicated taking the test in Seattle on Wednesday. I was simply pointing out that under the Canadian protocols, the test could be taken on either the Tuesday or the Wednesday.

In your case, why not take a telemed home test on Friday morning, just after midnight, and use that for both the flight and the cruise. Or if your flight isn't too early in the morning, do the test when you get up.

15 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

In your case, why not take a telemed home test on Friday morning, just after midnight, and use that for both the flight and the cruise. Or if your flight isn't too early in the morning, do the test when you get up.

TBH, just assumed that the at-home test folks weren't 24/7 operations.  We leave at 0745, but to save some quid we'd be willing to wake up at midnight to take the test.  My cruise isn't until June, so hopefully this will all be moot, but I do have to make a final payment decision by 03/20.

21 minutes ago, PACD_JG said:

TBH, just assumed that the at-home test folks weren't 24/7 operations.  We leave at 0745, but to save some quid we'd be willing to wake up at midnight to take the test.  My cruise isn't until June, so hopefully this will all be moot, but I do have to make a final payment decision by 03/20.

I don't know if they are all open 24/7, but the major ones such as eMed are.

I optimistically say that things can only get better/easier by June, so go ahead and make your final payment! 😇 

1 hour ago, PACD_JG said:

Similar situation. Flying in to Anchorage, arriving the evening of 5/13 for a sailing on 5/15. We are leaving early on 5/13, it’s a really long travel day. On the one hand, we could just wait to do eMed in the Anchorage hotel. On the other hand, I really don’t want to test positive and be stuck in Anchorage  and figuring out next steps. So we’ll do eMed in the very early morning hours of 5/13. 

5 hours ago, dave34 said:

I checked with Walgreens, they have a PCR/ naat test with results in 2hrs. Canada’s arrive Canada app states that NAAT is a approved PCR test. I hope I’m understanding  this right. Canada could make this a lot better but they want to hold on as long as possible with control 

PCR is one type of NAAT test. Before they updated the requirements to allow for an antigen test, you needed a NAAT test, which includes Walgreens' Rapid ID Now test. 

The Canadian media has done a crappy job of explaining testing requirements. They keep saying that a PCR test is required, when they mean NAAT. The regulations are also poorly worded. They use "molecular" to describe the testing requirements. The term "molecular" is meaningless in this context as an antigen is also a molecule. 

Currently, to enter Canada, you can take an antigen test 1 day prior to entry, or a NAAT test 72 hours prior to entry. Check the regulations before your trip at this website: Canadian covid testing requirements They have updated the site to include requirements for marine ports of entry. 

Edited by boulders
  • Thanks 1

Looks like Canada is changing their testing rules, again, to be announced tomorrow. https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/federal-government-to-drop-pre-departure-testing-1.6386763 A lot of discussion on the Canada board about whether this will include arriving by cruise ships. To me, it makes no sense that they would draft and roll out the cruise rules, only to scrap testing almost immediately. But <shrug> find out tomorrow I guess. This does make a planned long weekend in Niagara next month less stressful.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

If Canada changes the rules and no longer requires testing to enter the country, (for fully vaccinated travellers) there will still be the ship’s testing requirement to contend with.

Yeah, but it would be one less test.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, lderochi said:

Looks like Canada is changing their testing rules, again, to be announced tomorrow. https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/federal-government-to-drop-pre-departure-testing-1.6386763 A lot of discussion on the Canada board about whether this will include arriving by cruise ships. To me, it makes no sense that they would draft and roll out the cruise rules, only to scrap testing almost immediately. But <shrug> find out tomorrow I guess. This does make a planned long weekend in Niagara next month less stressful.

CTV News is reporting that this includes travel by sea:

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/canada-lifting-pre-arrival-covid-19-testing-requirement-as-of-april-1-1.5821622

(Travel by sea is mentioned in the video, not the web article)

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

News out today that testing is no longer needed!  However, travellers entering Canada by air, rail or marine transportation need to be fully vaccinated.

For those who have not followed closely, the change isn't effective until April 1, just in case you were thinking of visiting in the next couple of weeks.

30 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

For those who have not followed closely, the change isn't effective until April 1, just in case you were thinking of visiting in the next couple of weeks.

Yes, sorry, I should have mentioned that.  We get back to Victoria on Koningsdam on April 9, and I had been a bit worried, as HAL now says they will not test on board before disembarkment, just on land after Customs, and I had figured we'd never get through Customs without the testing QR code....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

News out today that testing is no longer needed!  However, travellers entering Canada by air, rail or marine transportation need to be fully vaccinated.

I didn’t see the definition of “fully vaccinated” so I am assuming is is the two jab?

2 hours ago, crusinbanjo said:

I didn’t see the definition of “fully vaccinated” so I am assuming is is the two jab?

Yes 2. If you download the ArriveCAN app and fill it out, it only asks for the date of the 2. It also asks for an attachment showing the dates of those 2. You may still need to have a negative covid test prior to boarding the HAL ship, that is unless they do not change their current policy.

21 hours ago, crusinbanjo said:

The Minister of Health was asked during the press conference announcing these changes whether the government was going to move to a 2 shot plus booster definition of fully vaccinated. He indicated that 2 shots would remain the standard for the time being.

• Like 2