First Time on Regent—Boarded Explorer Today

TYVM Georgia Peach51 and all the others that contributed to this blog.  Your writing and pictures were absolutely spot on.  Our experiences with Regent's Explorer is that you are on a cruise in an art gallery and the gallery has so many more facets than just paintings;  photography, tapestry, tile, metals, wood, glass, design, a floating MOMA. We also have done the deck to deck interior walk just to experience all the photos that are on display. So many memories from our generation's part. We love to just soak in the ambiance that this ship envelops its passengers with.  Safe travels home....... 

• Like 1

If you are still on the ship or taking your time, evaluate and you might want to make haste to the airport.  The lines are horrid.  Apparently because of Spring break.  It has taken us 1 hour, 35 minutes to finally get thru security. This is for American.

Once we got thru we found that our flight is delayed three hours.  We were to take off at 11:45.  Ugh.  Welcome back to the real world!  But at least I love the company I’m with.  

Makes me smile to think of all the excited folks boarding the beautiful Explorer today.  Don’t forget to try the Portuguese tarts!

GeorgiaPeach51: what fun it has been to get up every morning and ‘be’ on Explorer with you. Thank you for taking the time to post your witty comments and observations. We are counting down until we board the beautiful Explorer for our Barcelona to Istanbul cruise in early May. 
Happy travels home…hope to meet on Regent in the future. Claire

• Like 1

Enjoyed your blog immensely. Going on Explorer April. Your posts got me so enthused about going after leaving the Mariner December 2019. Started to get my cruise clothes arranged in spare room, can’t wait to see Explorer up close and personal. Lobster everyday for me, in some shape or form. This cruise will happen.

• Like 1

@GeorgiaPeach51 Thanks so much for your wonderful blog, I’m really going to miss it.

It’s made me anticipate our Christmas cruise on Explorer even more - only 9 months to wait, give or take a day or two 😬

Hope your travels back to Georgia was uneventful.  My niece lives there, it’s a beautiful State.

• Like 1

OK, I messed up.  I was so busy doing this blog that I didn’t realize the final survey had to be completed on board.  OH! NO!  I really want to fill out a survey to support the wonderful ship staff and just tried and cannot access it.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to how I can rectify this?  Thanks.

2 minutes ago, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

OK, I messed up.  I was so busy doing this blog that I didn’t realize the final survey had to be completed on board.  OH! NO!  I really want to fill out a survey to support the wonderful ship staff and just tried and cannot access it.

Jump back on the ship for another week???

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

If you are still on the ship or taking your time, evaluate and you might want to make haste to the airport.  The lines are horrid.  Apparently because of Spring break.  It has taken us 1 hour, 35 minutes to finally get thru security. This is for American.

Once we got thru we found that our flight is delayed three hours.  We were to take off at 11:45.  Ugh.  Welcome back to the real world!  But at least I love the company I’m with.  

Makes me smile to think of all the excited folks boarding the beautiful Explorer today.  Don’t forget to try the Portuguese tarts!

I’m on Explorer and of course thinking about you! 😁. I’m having a wonderful lunch at the back of veranda looking at the Miami skyline. Safe travels home. 

F68F36FC-6972-456B-9638-600244339309.jpeg

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

You have run into one of my few gripes (the other is their website) with Regent. I view the Final Survey as a marketing gimmick! I wouldn't take the time (and effort) to do it on board EXCEPT that like you I always want to acknowledge on-board staff, named and unnamed (laundry crew),  whose efforts made the cruise so enjoyable. I sometimes settle for an e-mail to my TA who is close to Regent management or even a short note to Regent headquarters (yes, hope springs eternal) to Jason M.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

Thanks you so much for the excellent blog.. I looked forward to it every day. We are booked on the Splendor next summer for a Baltic Cruise which we decided to move from this summer given the Russian situation as we would like to see St. Petersburg.

We have an Australian/New Zealand cruise booked on the Explorer for January 2024 but are wai listed for one in December this year. Has anyone gone on either of these cruises?a

• Like 1

On 3/12/2022 at 6:53 AM, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

Okay, we risked melting our charge card and booked two more Regent cruises.  That gives us three to anticipate.  Here is what we are doing, simply so that if anyone has been reading this if we have the good fortune to sail with you in the future, we will have a chance to meet!  Let me know if you are on any of these and would like to meet for a drink!

November 19, 2022    Barcelona to Miami on the Splendor

May 5, 2023    Miami to Montreal, Navigator

September 20, 2023   Vancouver to Tokyo, Explorer

A big thank you to @UUNetBill for his supportive comments and his very helpful cabin review spreadsheet.  We used it to book on all three of our upcoming cruises and it is so much better to not have to try to pin the tail on the donkey blindfolded.  You only have to have a cabin one time under the pool deck where people apparently jump up and down in place while holding maracas, followed by barrel racing horses and the roller derby contingent to appreciate the beauty of suite reviews.  Just sayin’.

You’ll love all the cruises you booked, but you will really love the Vancouver to Tokyo—if you never cruise in Japan you’ll be surprised on ship arrival and departures.

• Like 1

GeorgiaPeach51

This was our first Regent cruise and we were also onboard Explorer with you, but our paths did not cross.

We normally sail on Oceania with 3 more booked taking us to Gold status (=231 days).

Our next Regent cruise is also on the Vancouver to Tokyo then onward to Korea and back to Tokyo. By my count, also onboard will be: 

Stickman1990

GOARMY

fudge

5 minutes ago, ICT lineman said:

GeorgiaPeach51

This was our first Regent cruise and we were also onboard Explorer with you, but our paths did not cross.

We normally sail on Oceania with 3 more booked taking us to Gold status (=231 days).

Our next Regent cruise is also on the Vancouver to Tokyo then onward to Korea and back to Tokyo. By my count, also onboard will be: 

Stickman1990

GOARMY

fudge

Morning!  Well, that is fun, to know who else will be on board!  I look forward to meeting everyone in the future!  Did you enjoy the cruise as much as we did?

Joannie, 

What a pleasure it has been to enjoy this cruise through the eye and and the lens of someone experiencing Regent for the first time. It is a bit like seeing Disney World through the eyes of a child on their fist trip there! 😁

The amount of time that it takes to post a trip report of this quality along with all of the photos is considerable, many thanks for all of the time and effort that you devoted to it. 

Bob 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In case you don’t see it elsewhere on the board. @WNcruiser was so kind to get the answer to my stress about not doing the survey on board...And I immediately sat down and fired off an email to them.

“Joanie,  I just stopped by Reception to ask them. They said as soon as you are scanned off the ship the survey is deactivated and there is no way to complete it. 

They said to email your comments to:

guestrelations@rssc.com with your name, booking# and comments. “

• Like 2

Thanks GeorgePeach51 for your blog and photos. We're on this week and you have given us so many pointers that are helping us feel like we know what we're doing. Hope you made your flights on time.. The change of pier threw us for a loop and gave us a rocky start as Regent really dropped the ball for those of us who drove and had to park. It took two hours to get on the ship because they didn't make proper arrangements for those with cars. That being said, they unbelievably repaired two pairs of broken glasses (mine and DH) within an hour of boarding.  Neither one of us had ever broken glasses before in our lives so go figure! Suite is outstanding,  the crew is absolutely amazing, and we knew exactly what to order in Chartreuse and Compass Rose based on your fabulous photos! Hope you made it home safely and again,  thanks!

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, sb44 said:

………..The change of pier threw us for a loop and gave us a rocky start as Regent really dropped the ball for those of us who drove and had to park. It took two hours to get on the ship because they didn't make proper arrangements for those with cars…….

We are planning to drive to Miami to meet the Splendor for our Dec cruise. Where did you park? At the port parking? Or some where else. What terminal does Regent use? Apparently it was changed at the last minute on you. Thanks for any pointers you have.

Georgia Peach, I loved your blog and pictures. We have yet to sail on the Explorer or the Splendor. I am looking forward to our Dec cruise even more thanks to your report.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cwn said:

We are planning to drive to Miami to meet the Splendor for our Dec cruise. Where did you park? At the port parking? Or some where else. What terminal does Regent use? Apparently it was changed at the last minute on you. Thanks for any pointers you have.

@cwnI have a rather unique method of parking which saves me a ton of $$$.  I use my regular lot just outside Port Everglades.  Park 'N Go where I also get frequent parker points for free days.  The prepaid rate is only about $8-9 per day instead of $25/pd at POM.  https://bookparkngo.com/ftlauderdale.php  If you use this method, don't forget to sign up for their FP program.  I've been using them for years and it's a great option.

I did this in December when I sailed out of POM.  I was going to take their free shuttle to the FLL airport and then use SAS Transportation to the POM.  http://ridesas.com  SAS charged me $15pp with luggage in a ride share van.  However the driver picked me up and dropped me off afterwards at the Park 'N Go lot without having to go to the airport first.

I saved the aggravation of navigating through the horrendous I-95 traffic to POM and saved the gas.  The difference in the small amount of additional time vs. saving over $150 parking for that 13 day cruise worked for me.  The driver dropped me off at the ship's porters. Didn't even have to handle my luggage at the port.

In May I'm using them again but this time only one way because our Regent cruise out of Miami disembarks in Canada.

Edited by ChucktownSteve

12 hours ago, sb44 said:

Thanks GeorgePeach51 for your blog and photos. We're on this week and you have given us so many pointers that are helping us feel like we know what we're doing. Hope you made your flights on time.. The change of pier threw us for a loop and gave us a rocky start as Regent really dropped the ball for those of us who drove and had to park. It took two hours to get on the ship because they didn't make proper arrangements for those with cars. That being said, they unbelievably repaired two pairs of broken glasses (mine and DH) within an hour of boarding.  Neither one of us had ever broken glasses before in our lives so go figure! Suite is outstanding,  the crew is absolutely amazing, and we knew exactly what to order in Chartreuse and Compass Rose based on your fabulous photos! Hope you made it home safely and again,  thanks!

@sb44 Good grief, what a start to a vacation!  I now regret not posting that we changed piers when we docked.  I wish I had. It never crossed my mind.  It might have saved some hassle for folks like you.  I’m so sorry!  And broken glasses on top of that!  Amazing that they could repair them and thank goodness for it!

Be sure to pass on to someone what a mess it made for you to not know about the terminal change.  We have been in ports where they have a large sign at the entrance that lists the ships and terminals for the day.  That would be helpful.

We did make it home, four hours later than we anticipated.  I have NOTHING good to say about the madhouse that was the Miami airport.  Truly, I’ve never seen anything like it.  And American Airlines should be nicknamed Always Awful.  If we ever fly with them again I need to have my head examined.  Did you know that it makes a flight four hours late if they have more than a certain number of wheel chair passengers?  If you believe that, let me show you the Hope diamond that I can get you for a big discount. 🙄

We hated that airport so much that we are going to check into what it would take to fly into Ft. Lauderdale next time and transfer to the port.  Now that we love Regent so much they come with Miami attached so it is going to take some doing to make me a willing participant in the Miami Mess again, but I may be forced into it.

Have a fabulous time....so easy to do!  I’m glad the blog helped, since that was the purpose.  I honestly don’t know how people not on CC do it...how do they figure things out, know where to go, what to do, what to order?  I think I have read that it is a very small percentage of cruisers who are aware of and use CC.  Amazes me, and they miss so much!  The post above from @ChucktownSteve is a perfect example.....

Joanie

Edited by GeorgiaPeach51