Possible to get a rapid test in Detroit or Port Huron?

Russ Lomas

1 hour ago, A&L_Ont said:

I hear you and on all fronts. This will be the first summer in 10 years our son isn’t playing soccer at all. The last 6 years he has played soccer and baseball at the same time. This year he will just focus on baseball and we will enjoy having a bit more time at home in the summer. That being said, last summer with outside sports was perfect for him. Playing sports gave the kids and the parents some sense of normalcy.  

All that soccer playing turned him into the grade 9 kicker for Medway football so we have taken to watching another sport.  He isn’t sure if he will try out for soccer, base ball, or track and field this spring for Medway.  Very blessed with the sports and grades in the 80s but it comes with lots of work. 

As a parent thanks for taking your time to coach. It is greatly appreciated.

Thanks A&L, nothing more rewarding than teach kids and watching them execute and excel in the game and in life.

• Like 1

We had a limo company from Pearson Airport we always use when we fly into Toronto come to Buffalo to pick us up las summer.  Only my DW and I had to to provide test results and do testing at the border.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Welly9 said:

AHH yes that's what it was, a chauffeur driven vehicle. But with cases - Hospital and testing on its way down, the Libs who set these rules need to relax the border rules now. Especially these shorter day trips to 72 hr trips.

I think we were about 50% capacity at the beginning of Dec. The Cruise Director is from London, Ont I wish I could remember his name... he recognized my last name and remembered my son playing for the Knights. That was Dec so he mentioned he was trying to go to the Wonder OTS on his next contract.

We had Mike from St. Catharines (but he went to school at Western in London) as our CD on the Odyssey back in August.  I believe Mike is now the CD on the Wonder.  I look forward to meeting Mike and chatting with him next week.

17 hours ago, Russ Lomas said:

We had Mike from St. Catharines (but he went to school at Western in London) as our CD on the Odyssey back in August.  I believe Mike is now the CD on the Wonder.  I look forward to meeting Mike and chatting with him next week.

One of our fave spots on the Ody was at Vintages(wine bar maybe cant remember) beside Giavannis, great spot to people watch and enjoy a Prosecco or pre dinner glass of red, if Andy or Neejah are still waiting, say Eddie from London the Canada one and they will remember and I m sure they will comp you a wine or two, oh and the pizza there is awesome too

5 hours ago, Welly9 said:

One of our fave spots on the Ody was at Vintages(wine bar maybe cant remember) beside Giavannis, great spot to people watch and enjoy a Prosecco or pre dinner glass of red, if Andy or Neejah are still waiting, say Eddie from London the Canada one and they will remember and I m sure they will comp you a wine or two, oh and the pizza there is awesome too

We have the 3 day dining package, so we may end up there for dinner one night.  I will see if I remember Andy and Neejah's name.  When we did an 8-day trip on the Odyssey, there were so few people there I did not see a single person the entire 8 days in Giovanni's

On 3/5/2022 at 2:47 PM, Russ Lomas said:

We just decided that there is a minute chance that my buddy may test positive (however unlikely that should be) and he would then be faced with the $5000 fine to reenter , Just not worth the risk for him.

It’s not true that a Canadian citizen (or any person who qualifies to enter Canada) has to pay a fine if positive with Covid. There is contradictory information on the travel website. But on the page modified March 8, 2022, it clearly states that a positive Canadian citizen can enter Canada but must fulfill isolation procedures.   If they break the rules, then the fines are applied.
I hope someone goes through all the rules and standardizes and corrects inaccuracies.  We don’t need more confusion.

The current regulations do not state that anyone has to pay a fine. Nevertheless, a traveller may have to pay a fine for entering Canada with a positive test, including the driver for @Russ Lomas.

In the case of a positive test on a pre-entry test:

Canadians: To avoid being fined $5,000 per traveller (plus surcharges), wait to enter Canada at least 10 calendar days after your positive molecular test result. If travelling by air, you’ll be denied boarding. Counting starts the day following the day of testing.

There are several other situations possibly leading to a fine, including the following:

Arriving at the border with no valid test:

If a Canadian citizen, person registered under the Indian Act, or permanent resident does not provide proof of a valid test result they:

• will be allowed entry, but may be subject to a fine of up to $5,000 plus additional surcharges or face criminal prosecution

Fraudulent test result:

Making a false declaration when boarding a flight to Canada, including the presentation of a fraudulent test result, carries the potential for up to $5,000 in administrative monetary penalties under the Aeronautics Act, in addition to a fine of $5,000 plus additional surcharges under the Quarantine Act, if the same false document is also presented upon entry into Canada.

Violating any instructions provided when you enter Canada or putting others at risk of a serious communicable disease are offences under the Quarantine Act and could lead to up to three years in prison and/or up to $1 million in fines.

For arrival tests:

You are under a legal obligation to take the arrival test within the required timeframe. If you don't comply, you may not be exempted from quarantine. You may also be required to go to a quarantine facility, face fines, or other enforcement measures.

• Like 1

This is where common sense enters the conversation…is Lomas’s driver a Canadian citizen or equivalent……I imagine - yes, he is…..if he tests negative just before he leaves Canada to drive to Detroit…then I doubt if he’ll test positive two hours later.  Those are the circumstance that are being discussed and planning around.  Is everyone going to mention every single circumstance of every single status of every single reason for trying to enter Canada…I think not.  Of course there are reasons for fines and denial of entry but the topic here was just one circumstance.   Mentioning every single reason for every single infraction for every single circumstance just confuses and clouds the situation.  It sure has made travel/crossing the border very complicated.   Contradictory rules in the rules manual doesn’t help people to understand any better or faster either.  

15 minutes ago, cmich068 said:

Fouremco is right. 

The fine is discretionary on the part of PHAC and the border agents, I've seen many anecdotes of people who came back positive and weren't forced to pay it. But it is in the law. 

I’m sure he is right. But not for a person who shows a  positive test to the agents and is qualified to enter Canada.  One also has to show a quarantine plan and follow it. A truthful Covid positive Canadian citizen is not denied entry into Canada.  Those ‘facts’ are stated in the website .  
What is the fine for? For being ill?    Things don’t sound sensible.

On a page modified March 8 2022…if a Canadian citizen, or equivalent, wants entry into Canada at the border, they will be allowed entry…but may be fined $5000 for not having proof of a valid negative Covid test.  That’s when one is fined. And for other untruthful statements.  But a Covid positive person with a positive Covid test result who is Canadian, or equivalent, does not pay a fine for being sick. And they are allowed entry….of course they must follow a quarantine plan and any other stipulated rules.   I just don’t want Canadians thinking that they are persona non grata if they come down with Covid while outside Canada.  Then thinking that they are not allowed to go home. It’s a terrible thought. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ladysail2 said:

@ladysail2 Unfortunately, the sensibility of a lot of the rules over the past 2 years is questionable, as is the fine.

25 minutes ago, ladysail2 said:

This is where common sense enters the conversation…is Lomas’s driver a Canadian citizen or equivalent……I imagine - yes, he is…..if he tests negative just before he leaves Canada to drive to Detroit…then I doubt if he’ll test positive two hours later. 

You are right.  Chances are extremely slim this happens, but I do know of people who have taken a test and then taken another one pretty well right after and the results were different (not often, but I know a few).  We are driving ourselves to ensure our friend does not have to concern himself with this slim possibility.

3 hours ago, ladysail2 said:

There is contradictory information on the travel website. But on the page modified March 8, 2022, it clearly states that a positive Canadian citizen can enter Canada but must fulfill isolation procedures.

I searched high and low on the internet, but could not find the information you refer to.  For all Canadians, I hope you are correct.  

3 hours ago, Fouremco said:

The current regulations do not state that anyone has to pay a fine. Nevertheless, a traveller may have to pay a fine for entering Canada with a positive test, including the driver for

You are completely correct from stories I have heard.  It can be up to the discretion of the border guard when you return home.  I would feel more comfortable not having to trust the decision on the border guard if doing this.  Having a clear policy in writing provides me peace of mind.  The only wording on the government's website I can see reads,

"Canadians: To avoid being fined $5,000 per traveller (plus surcharges), wait to enter Canada at least 10 calendar days after your positive molecular test result. If travelling by air, you’ll be denied boarding. Counting starts the day following the day of testing."

This means it is a possibility, one I would prefer to avoid.  We are flying back to Canada, so I guess it is all or nothing for us.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, ladysail2 said:

I’m sure he is right. But not for a person who shows a  positive test to the agents and is qualified to enter Canada.  One also has to show a quarantine plan and follow it. A truthful Covid positive Canadian citizen is not denied entry into Canada.  Those ‘facts’ are stated in the website .  

The fine is for not having required documentation. The entry rule requires "proof of a negative test", not "proof of a test".

Sensible? From the perspective of public health authorities, probably. Reasonable? Hardly!

• Like 3

On 3/10/2022 at 6:54 PM, Russ Lomas said:

@ladysail2 Unfortunately, the sensibility of a lot of the rules over the past 2 years is questionable, as is the fine.

You are right.  Chances are extremely slim this happens, but I do know of people who have taken a test and then taken another one pretty well right after and the results were different (not often, but I know a few).  We are driving ourselves to ensure our friend does not have to concern himself with this slim possibility.

I searched high and low on the internet, but could not find the information you refer to.  For all Canadians, I hope you are correct.  

You are completely correct from stories I have heard.  It can be up to the discretion of the border guard when you return home.  I would feel more comfortable not having to trust the decision on the border guard if doing this.  Having a clear policy in writing provides me peace of mind.  The only wording on the government's website I can see reads,

"Canadians: To avoid being fined $5,000 per traveller (plus surcharges), wait to enter Canada at least 10 calendar days after your positive molecular test result. If travelling by air, you’ll be denied boarding. Counting starts the day following the day of testing."

This means it is a possibility, one I would prefer to avoid.  We are flying back to Canada, so I guess it is all or nothing for us.

Sorry for copying your whole post…..I found the page….it’s under Mandatory Isolation……..here’s the path….

Canada.ca>travel>travel, testing, borders

Quarantine or Isolation

On this page

Six bullet headings follow with the sixth one stating the Mandatory Isolation.  Within this heading it clearly states that a Canadian citizen, or equivalent, will be allowed back into Canada with a positive Covid test.  

That has been my point all along….Canadians with Covid are not barred from entering Canada. The rest talks about isolation, quarantining, etc.  the page was modified March 8, 2022….hope it’s not out of date already.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/12/2022 at 2:48 PM, ladysail2 said:

Sorry for copying your whole post…..I found the page….it’s under Mandatory Isolation……..here’s the path….

Canada.ca>travel>travel, testing, borders

Quarantine or Isolation

On this page

Six bullet headings follow with the sixth one stating the Mandatory Isolation.  Within this heading it clearly states that a Canadian citizen, or equivalent, will be allowed back into Canada with a positive Covid test.  

That has been my point all along….Canadians with Covid are not barred from entering Canada. The rest talks about isolation, quarantining, etc.  the page was modified March 8, 2022….hope it’s not out of date already.

Thanks for providing the path to that information.  I agree with your comments after reviewing the page you provided.  Unfortunately, as government often tends to do, the information is buried deeply and difficult to find, and other information seems to contradict or at least raise issues of the potential fines upon returning to Canada with a positive test result.