Sorry…but another tipping question…

chloemonkey

14 hours ago, 1985rz1 said:

So here's a question you might find enlightening.  If there were not automatic gratuities added to your account, and you distributed tips to the various staff, cabin attendants to waiters to butlers (like the old way),  what would be your average daily outlay for gratuities.  How does that compare to the daily charge?  Would it be more or less?  

For me Its about right.   Unless.. someone does something extra special which seldom happens. 

Butler  I wish would just go away as I never have had a use for him.  His only service was to deliver at 3pm  an amuse and coffee.  You may have more use and need.  Me  NO.

Cabin attendants get the most. and we take care to keep our cabin shipshape and neat to make their job easier.  I am into the habit of making my bed every morning, keeping bath organized and clean..  Many times we tell cabin crew  ok to miss us if they get pushed by other cabins.   ( do the same in hotels)

Waiters..  well we have different ones 3 times a day so  you never get any special service  We eat many times in Waves or the Terrace.. so it is pretty much "self service'  Waiters on the ship are pretty much food runners  

Wine stewards, when corkage is done, I learned to offer a glass of the special bottle  in gratitude.

So   $36-$46 a day    I would say  $20 a day for cabin crew  , $15   a day for waiters. 2 meals per day.    $5 for butler  ( is just there and does  "jack" but bring coffee. and a snack.)  

So, it is dependent on what someone does for you above and beyond that which is expected as basic service.    At home I tip 15-20%  to waiters depending.

However, at sea  with all inclusive meals its not possible to factor the net cost.   Like Europe which  includes service in the price of your meal I feel the cruise fare of $500 to 1000+ a day covers standard performance enough. 

My wife and I are low Maintenace and seldom require  or want  extra or special.  We respect people who do service jobs and try to minimize our impact on their work load as much as possible.  Giving them time is fare more appreciated than money.  We make it easy for them thus having worked our way up from minimum wage jobs to high exec positions.    Being kind and considerate is far more important to staff than money ( which many times is insulting like your buying the person to treat..)

Am I right or wrong...  its your call as to what you think, not what I think.... 

Ball is in your court amigos/Amis.............ONLY YOU JUDGE YOU.

Edited by Hawaiidan
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

For me Its about right.   Unless.. someone does something extra special which seldom happens. 

Butler  I wish would just go away as I never have had a use for him.  His only service was to deliver at 3pm  an amuse and coffee.  You may have more use and need.  Me  NO.

Cabin attendants get the most. and we take care to keep our cabin shipshape and neat to make their job easier.  I am into the habit of making my bed every morning, keeping bath organized and clean..  Many times we tell cabin crew  ok to miss us if they get pushed by other cabins.   ( do the same in hotels)

Waiters..  well we have different ones 3 times a day so  you never get any special service  We eat many times in Waves or the Terrace.. so it is pretty much "self service'  Waiters on the ship are pretty much food runners  

Wine stewards, when corkage is done, I learned to offer a glass of the special bottle  in gratitude.

So   $36-$46 a day    I would say  $20 a day for cabin crew  , $15   a day for waiters. 2 meals per day.    $5 for butler  ( is just there and does  "jack" but bring coffee. and a snack.)  

So, it is dependent on what someone does for you above and beyond that which is expected as basic service.    At home I tip 15-20%  to waiters depending.

However, at sea  with all inclusive meals its not possible to factor the net cost.   Like Europe which  includes service in the price of your meal I feel the cruise fare of $500 to 1000+ a day covers standard performance enough. 

My wife and I are low Maintenace and seldom require  or want  extra or special.  We respect people who do service jobs and try to minimize our impact on their work load as much as possible.  Giving them time is fare more appreciated than money.  We make it easy for them thus having worked our way up from minimum wage jobs to high exec positions.    Being kind and considerate is far more important to staff than money ( which many times is insulting like your buying the person to treat..)

Am I right or wrong...  its your call as to what you think, not what I think.... 

Ball is in your court amigos/Amis.............ONLY YOU JUDGE YOU.

Thanks for the detailed analysis.  Currently automatic gratuities are $46 per cabin per day with a butler, which is in line with the high end of your range.  In addition there is a 20% gratuity added to alcoholic drinks, if one doesn't take a package.  We use our butler somewhat more than you, but usually nothing out of the ordinary is requested.  We have occasionally made a special request of our butler, like a birthday or anniversary celebration, when we do give him a thank you tip.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, 1985rz1 said:

Thanks for the detailed analysis.  Currently automatic gratuities are $46 per cabin per day with a butler, which is in line with the high end of your range.  In addition there is a 20% gratuity added to alcoholic drinks, if one doesn't take a package.  We use our butler somewhat more than you, but usually nothing out of the ordinary is requested.  We have occasionally made a special request of our butler, like a birthday or anniversary celebration, when we do give him a thank you tip.

make total sense... Tip the butler the same as a waiter if he serves you meals daily..   and factor that.  Have a special party or function... that goes on for hours...Tip for that specific function I would say    BUT that is his basic job is it not?  ... He doesn't go around scrubbing and polishing or hustling dishes, waiting tables,  come on. just bowing and pretending to grovel.    He is 90% image and 10% performance.  Using a person, whoever, just because you can is not the cloth I am cut from.

28 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

make total sense... Tip the butler the same as a waiter if he serves you meals daily..   and factor that.  Have a special party or function... that goes on for hours...Tip for that specific function I would say    BUT that is his basic job is it not?  ... He doesn't go around scrubbing and polishing or hustling dishes, waiting tables,  come on. just bowing and pretending to grovel.    He is 90% image and 10% performance.  Using a person, whoever, just because you can is not the cloth I am cut from.

Needless to say, we use our Butler for far more than you do. I will save you the laundry list, while realizing it’s totally a personal decision. This is similar to some of us utilizing our professional Travel Agent to resolve issues or get answers for critical questions, while some want CONTROL and want to do it all themselves. It amazes me that some cruisers, with butlers, choose to stand in line to get extra Specialty reservations in lieu of using their butler. But hey, whatever rings their bell. Your World, Your Way! Some of us choose to dine en-suite, course by course, occasionally, while others always prefer to dine out. YWYW.

Since we utilize our butler more than you, we see the percentages of image vs performance in a different perspective. Therefore, we have likewise witnessed significant differences in performance levels between butlers. Additional tips vary accordingly.

39 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Needless to say, we use our Butler for far more than you do. I will save you the laundry list, while realizing it’s totally a personal decision. This is similar to some of us utilizing our professional Travel Agent to resolve issues or get answers for critical questions, while some want CONTROL and want to do it all themselves. It amazes me that some cruisers, with butlers, choose to stand in line to get extra Specialty reservations in lieu of using their butler. But hey, whatever rings their bell. Your World, Your Way! Some of us choose to dine en-suite, course by course, occasionally, while others always prefer to dine out. YWYW.

Since we utilize our butler more than you, we see the percentages of image vs performance in a different perspective. Therefore, we have likewise witnessed significant differences in performance levels between butlers. Additional tips vary accordingly.

I agree, using your Butler will make your cruise so much more….Like making those extra Specialty reservations, “fresh” coffee in the morning, spa appointments, cocktail party or a special day, seeing that your laundry is done in a timely matter and when you get a little tried of eating out having dinner in your suite.  The biggest is if you have a problem big or small the Butler will handle it for you.

2 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

He doesn't go around scrubbing and polishing or hustling dishes, waiting tables,  come on. just bowing and pretending to grovel.    He is 90% image and 10% performance.  Using a person, whoever, just because you can is not the cloth I am cut from.

Since it seems to bother you so much, why not just get a suite that does not offer butler service and you won't have to worry about such things.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ronrick1943 said:

I agree, using your Butler will make your cruise so much more….Like making those extra Specialty reservations, “fresh” coffee in the morning, spa appointments, cocktail party or a special day, seeing that your laundry is done in a timely matter and when you get a little tried of eating out having dinner in your suite.  The biggest is if you have a problem big or small the Butler will handle it for you.

If you like that cool..... but 75% of those things  I would never use and the remaining things I can and have done very easily  for many years.   I had several times with a butler  with problems and they did ZIP.... Reliably un reliable my experience    Good ones  bad ones...its a crap shoot .  I and my wife feel its an intrusion.      Good for coffee and maybe  food service and that is it for my needs.     BUT..if you need those things then go for it.....Just not my cup of tea.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pinotlover said:

I agree...its all and should be based on your demands wants.... so far after decades cruising  I have yet to have  such needs.. simple  as that   I book for space not for service.

2 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

If you like that cool..... but 75% of those things  I would never use and the remaining things I can and have done very easily  for many years.   I had several times with a butler  with problems and they did ZIP.... Reliably un reliable my experience    Good ones  bad ones...its a crap shoot .  I and my wife feel its an intrusion.      Good for coffee and maybe  food service and that is it for my needs.     BUT..if you need those things then go for it.....Just not my cup of tea.

I agree it’s all up to each person—-I for get a large suite because I enjoy the space,perks and service. When I go on any vacation cruise or land—-I want it relaxing, pleasant, with service and not having to do much except enjoy the time I’m away from home.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

because my friend I need the space..... got it, for my wife who has disabilities...   That ok by you?

Dan, please remind me closer to my April 25th Marina trip what specifically it would be useful for you to know about regarding the accessible balcony cabin and I will do my best to find out everything for you. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ToxM said:

Dan, please remind me closer to my April 25th Marina trip what specifically it would be useful for you to know about regarding the accessible balcony cabin and I will do my best to find out everything for you. 

Thanks for your compassion.... some have it some do not.      Any pictures  would be great    distance  on side of bed and foot would be great. as well as assess to veranda.         Thanks my friend.  Space is my adversary.    Nor going till Sept in a ADA cabin    August got a PH  which with tools I have I can modify to be an ADA cabin  ( no not taking the cabin apart  just stick on grab rails and shower chairs like stuff..   temp.      

10 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

Thanks for your compassion.... some have it some do not.      Any pictures  would be great    distance  on side of bed and foot would be great. as well as assess to veranda.         Thanks my friend.  Space is my adversary.    Nor going till Sept in a ADA cabin    August got a PH  which with tools I have I can modify to be an ADA cabin  ( no not taking the cabin apart  just stick on grab rails and shower chairs like stuff..   temp.      

The Preismans have pics of an ADA verandah as well .. which I found very useful to show to my mum to help her. We will deffo get pics for you as well 🙂

• Like 1

On 3/12/2022 at 2:00 AM, Cliff-FLL said:

Somehow, it seems like the right thing to do is to share our good fortune with others

I fully understand that doing something that makes you feel good about yourself is an important thing in life. I'm  sure that many, like yourself, get personal satisfaction from the giving of a tip.

5 hours ago, ToxM said:

The Preismans have pics of an ADA verandah as well .. which I found very useful to show to my mum to help her. We will deffo get pics for you as well 🙂

Thanks chum.... what part of UK are you in?     My Mum was Manchester  Grandfather, Welsh   Thanks my friend.

15 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

Thanks chum.... what part of UK are you in?     My Mum was Manchester  Grandfather, Welsh   Thanks my friend.

I am in Oxfordshire, slap bang in the middle of the fictional Midsomer from Midsomer Murders - thankfully not many fatalities here so far 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, ToxM said:

I am in Oxfordshire, slap bang in the middle of the fictional Midsomer from Midsomer Murders - thankfully not many fatalities here so far 🙂

My wife loves that show, did we meet on a cruise once? We had dinner with someone from that area and talked about the show. 

24 minutes ago, ORV said:

My wife loves that show, did we meet on a cruise once? We had dinner with someone from that area and talked about the show. 

Never had that pleasure Orv, but maybe someday!

• 4 weeks later...

First time O cruisers, and I'm surprised to see that gratuities are automatically included in our OLife cruise fare!  In all my reading and perusal of O's website, I couldn't find the answer to this question so I called them and was told that gratuities are NOT included in the fare!  The representative I spoke to said that $16 per person per day would appear as a debit on our account.  Those charges would indicate that gratuities are not included.  Which answer is correct?!!

26 minutes ago, Wisconsin Travelers said:

First time O cruisers, and I'm surprised to see that gratuities are automatically included in our OLife cruise fare!  In all my reading and perusal of O's website, I couldn't find the answer to this question so I called them and was told that gratuities are NOT included in the fare!  The representative I spoke to said that $16 per person per day would appear as a debit on our account.  Those charges would indicate that gratuities are not included.  Which answer is correct?!!

Where did you see gratuities are included?  on your invoice?

Did you book through a travel agent?

Some agencies will give you the PPG  with your booking

Gratuities are NOT included in your fare but you could say they are expected because the staff does such a wonderful job of taking care of you. They do apply a $16 pp pd charge for Gratuities in Staterooms and $23 pp pd in Suites when you are on board. 
When you are working with a good Travel Agent or traveling in a group, you may get Free Gratuities included with your cruise and sometimes they may be provided as an amenity by Oceania. 
All guests automatically become members of the Oceania Club and when guests reach 10 Cruise Credits, they automatically receive Free Gratuities whenever they sail.

Hope that info helps.

Mauibabes

• Like 1

Barbara and Tom,

If you have the flexibility and time, consider longer or back to back trips because the first week of any O cruise just breaks you in and you need to stay longer. All cruises up to 14 days earn you one cruise credit but a 15 days cruise earns two credits. Yes, you can get to 10 quickly. 
Oceania travel definitely becomes addictive. When the Alura Class Vista comes on line in April 2023, you will have even more options. You definitely have to make sure you see the Vista video, she will be spectacular. 
Welcome to the O family. 
Mauibabes

9 hours ago, mauibabes said:

Barbara and Tom,

If you have the flexibility and time, consider longer or back to back trips because the first week of any O cruise just breaks you in and you need to stay longer. All cruises up to 14 days earn you one cruise credit but a 15 days cruise earns two credits. Yes, you can get to 10 quickly. 
Oceania travel definitely becomes addictive. When the Alura Class Vista comes on line in April 2023, you will have even more options. You definitely have to make sure you see the Vista video, she will be spectacular. 
Welcome to the O family. 
Mauibabes

Is this new? I thought the threshold for 2 cruise credits was 21 days, or 22 days to get that 2nd credit. I have been on several 20 & 21 day cruises all only giving 1 cruise credit. Now a bit of research .