Fuel prices up? Cruise fares up?

Matco

Cruise lines, shipping, airlines, etc. usually have less of a problem riding out fuel price spikes because of the volumes they purchase in advance as well as financial tactics like options and hedges.

A short term run-up like we're seeing right now won't start to be felt for six months if at all, so no, I wouldn't expect surcharges to start appearing just yet.

Where they might start to feel it is in supply costs.  All that food has to be trucked from somewhere, and trucking companies don't necessarily hedge to the same degree because the delivery points of their fuel varies so much.  Modifying the menu is an easier fix for managing higher food prices.

Edited by Lane Hog
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Some blog is saying rcl has said they will not impose fuel surcharges. If rcl says this ..then carnival wouldnt either. You guys can quit worrying.

Some prefer to swashbuckle over nothing. Playing chess with pigeons never ends well lol. 

Royal wouldn't have added the weasel words to the ticket contract if they wouldn't consider.

21. SUPPLEMENT CHARGES:
Operator reserves the right to impose a supplemental charge relating to unanticipated occurrences including, but not limited to, increases in the price of fuel. Any such
supplement charges may apply, at Operator’s sole discretion, to both existing and new bookings (regardless of whether such bookings have been paid in full). Such
supplements are not included in the Cruise or CruiseTour Far

The points guy is considered a insider source and reliable. Idk if any bothered to go read the post on rcl I mentioned above.

Here is the link for those who didnt bother.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/cruise-fuel-surcharges-oil-spike/

Read to the bottom ncl and rcl were both hedged, but not carnival. According to the this.

"

However, the world’s largest cruise company, Carnival Corporation, had no fuel hedges coming into the year."

Edited by firefly333

13 hours ago, firefly333 said:

The points guy is considered a insider source and reliable. Idk if any bothered to go read the post on rcl I mentioned above.

Here is the link for those who didnt bother.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/cruise-fuel-surcharges-oil-spike/

Read to the bottom ncl and rcl were both hedged, but not carnival. According to the this.

"

However, the world’s largest cruise company, Carnival Corporation, had no fuel hedges coming into the year."

Good article. Thanks for posting firefly. It would not surprise me in the least( in fact, I expect it) to see a fuel surcharge added to the cost of a cruise. It wouldn't be the first time I saw it during my tenure as an international air & ocean cargo agent. But it won't be permanent. 

9 hours ago, Joe817 said:

Good article. Thanks for posting firefly. It would not surprise me in the least( in fact, I expect it) to see a fuel surcharge added to the cost of a cruise. It wouldn't be the first time I saw it during my tenure as an international air & ocean cargo agent. But it won't be permanent. 

A fuel surcharge is simply a masked price increase.  As long as Carnival is retorting to deep discounting to stimulate demand, a fuel surcharge is not going to happen.  It’s far more likely Carnival Corporation would cut weak itineraries and pull a ship or so from service (or not re-enter into service, in Princess’ case) at this point.

1 minute ago, Itried4498 said:

A fuel surcharge is simply a masked price increase.  As long as Carnival is retorting to deep discounting to stimulate demand, a fuel surcharge is not going to happen.  It’s far more likely Carnival Corporation would cut weak itineraries and pull a ship or so from service (or not re-enter into service, in Princess’ case) at this point.

Only time will tell, who is right in this debate. Right?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Itried4498 said:

You continue to twist reality. A fuel surcharge is simply cost sharing of unexpected increases in the price of fuel. Carnival would not be adding to their bottom line 

9 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

You continue to twist reality. A fuel surcharge is simply cost sharing of unexpected increases in the price of fuel. Carnival would not be adding to their bottom line 

I think you are the one who is twisting reality by totally ignoring the law of supply and demand. And the poster you are referring to did not say anything about adding to the bottom line. What he said was a masked price increase at a time they were forced to use lower prices because of the law of supply and demand. 

• Haha 1