Boarding and Covid Testing

roberts2005

I have reviewed the requirements for my cruise and it seems that requirements depend of the port of embarkation. For Greece, the only required test at the moment is the antigen test given at the moment of embarkation. The information is pretty clear in my opinion.

Ivi

8 hours ago, marinaro44 said:

I'm puzzled.  The only test you need is the one administered at embarkation.

If you look at Post 21. I would agree with you if you look at the information online about what do I need at embarkation BUT if you drill into the faq and look at the question what happens if I test positive at that embarkation test, it implies you will only have support from Azamara if you travel after a negative test if your insurance won’t cover you (and some won’t) 

You seem to need that test as am “insurance” but not that. test to board.  This then raises the question what kind of test.  For UK guests can we use the government provided self tests we use in so many situations already or what.  And if that test is actually needed why is that information buried in the faq that many won’t see. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, uktog said:

For UK guests can we use the government provided self tests we use in so many situations already or what

For our upcoming Regent cruise we were specifically told either an antigen or PCR test from a private provider.  Maybe Azamara would be happy with an NHS test but I still think they have been remiss in not giving you timely detailed information about what exactly is required for Covid tests and other documents needed for the cruise eg PLFs.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, uktog said:

If you look at Post 21. I would agree with you if you look at the information online about what do I need at embarkation BUT if you drill into the faq and look at the question what happens if I test positive at that embarkation test, it implies you will only have support from Azamara if you travel after a negative test if your insurance won’t cover you (and some won’t) 

You seem to need that test as am “insurance” but not that. test to board.  This then raises the question what kind of test.  For UK guests can we use the government provided self tests we use in so many situations already or what.  And if that test is actually needed why is that information buried in the faq that many won’t see. 

OK.  I understand.  I guess in today's Covid world I've learned to look at all Covid-related information on a travel provider's website.  I'd never expect anyone to accept an unproctored self-test.  Some even lie about their vaccination status.  Strange doings these days.

But, yes, the blurb about Azamara covering isolation and change expenses would be better if displayed more prominently.

• Like 4

I spoke with an Azamara rep about this yesterday.  She confirmed (after putting me on hold to check with a supervisor) that, while a negative covid test prior to arriving at the pier is not required for boarding, it is required if you test positive at the pier and then wish to have Azamara look after you from that point on.  That test cannot be a "self test" unless it's a monitored self test ( I use Binax Emed) that provides you with a certificate indicating negative results, date of test, an attestation from a doctor or other authorized person, etc.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SunnyNy said:

I spoke with an Azamara rep about this yesterday.  She confirmed (after putting me on hold to check with a supervisor) that, while a negative covid test prior to arriving at the pier is not required for boarding, it is required if you test positive at the pier and then wish to have Azamara look after you from that point on.  That test cannot be a "self test" unless it's a monitored self test ( I use Binax Emed) that provides you with a certificate indicating negative results, date of test, an attestation from a doctor or other authorized person, etc.

Thanks.

Absolutely appalling communication by Azamara. How were passengers supposed to know this? 

• Like 3

Just now, uktog said:

Thanks.

Absolutely appalling communication by Azamara. How were passengers supposed to know this? 

Completely agree. Even the rep didn't know until I asked her to find out.  This board has been invaluable, especially during the past two years.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, roberts2005 said:

My question. How many days before boarding can you test 

I did ask that question because earlier in the website (but not in the paragraph about testing at the pier), there was a mention of 72 hrs.  She was very vague in her answer, saying just testing "before you leave home" would be sufficient.  In my case, testing before I leave would be in that window, so I didn't pursue it with her.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SunnyNy said:

I did ask that question because earlier in the website (but not in the paragraph about testing at the pier), there was a mention of 72 hrs.  She was very vague in her answer, saying just testing "before you leave home" would be sufficient.  In my case, testing before I leave would be in that window, so I didn't pursue it with her.

We have two nights  in Monte Carlo. Pre cruise and one night on the plane. So if we test in New York it will be more than 72 hours

• Like 1

I think the 72 hours may come from this paragraph on the ‘Testing & Screening’ section on Azamara’s website 

“You can board with confidence, knowing we’ve enhanced our health and safety standards. We strongly recommend all guests take a COVID-19 test (either antigen or PCR) within 72 hours of boarding to avoid potential denial of boarding. All guests are required to show proof of vaccination and complete a health questionnaire. All guests must undergo a COVID-19 antigen test at the terminal prior to embarkation, by a licensed and accredited third-party testing provider. Once aboard, complimentary COVID-19 testing and medical evaluations will also be available in accordance with local regulations. Guests requiring a COVID-19 test prior to returning home can arrange this onboard.”

Following on from this is the FAQ that talks about what happens if you test positive at the terminal

If I test positive for SARS-COV-2 right before my cruise, at the terminal, or on the cruise, what is your compensation policy and what associated costs are covered?
  • A 100% Future Cruise Credit will be provided for any guest who tests positive within two weeks of their sail date, as well as any members of their immediate traveling party who choose to cancel.
  • If you test positive for COVID-19 at the terminal, Azamara will cover travel change fees and accommodation expenses not covered by travel insurance, upon presentation of proof of a negative antigen or PCR COVID test prior to travel.  
  • If you test positive for COVID-19 during the cruise, you will be entitled to either a partial or full FCC for the amount paid, depending on the situation. Azamara will also cover the costs of COVID-19 related medical treatment onboard, any required land-based quarantine, and flight change fees to return home for you and your Traveling Party. Guests must comply with travel requirements, health and safety protocols in order to be eligible for this reassurance.  ”

No timescale mentioned.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Given that the greatest risk is during your travel, I am not sure I share Azamara's view that 72 hours before boarding has impact.  If we go, and we will decide in the next 24 hours we will do an NHS Self test before heading to the hotel the night before boarding the flight.  We tried today to get tests delivered that could be supervised but no one would guarantee delivery for Saturday.  Unfortunately our personal plans do not allow us to travel to get a test on Sunday and most of the private providers are now on reduced times as demand is so low.  However our insurers have now said (after hours of calls, time I did not really have) they would consider covering any costs if denied boarding, however here is the rub - they said if we had no symptoms we will have to justify why we carried out a test.  Hopefully the cruise lines insistence is enough!

I do feel that Azamara should have had this need to have a test to rely on their support to be much clearer on the website and on the emails they sent us.  We would have time to be better prepared.  I think they assumed as many airlines in the US still call for tests for international customers they didn't need to emphasise it.  

• Like 2

Sorry I am still confused.   If we get tested before we leave home, it is more than 72 hours, so we assume that test would be worthless.

So to be safe we should get tested in either Nice or Monte Carlo, once we arrive.  If negative, no problem.

if positive, do we cancel as soon as we have results for a FCC or do we try and board and have Azamara reject us

• Like 1

Yikes. We leave home April 18 and board Azamara on May 31, having visited 9 other countries in the meantime. That really does not seem like a helpful standard in our case, and many others, I'm confident. 

We will be in Switzerland for 5 days before flying to Barcelona to board. I imagine we will test there. Again.