Coco Cay or Labadee?

18 minutes ago, Jasukkie said:

I've been to Labadee several times and never interacted with locals. I've never gone to it but is that in the market area? If so, it's very easy to avoid.

Coco Cay has clear water and soft sand. Labadee has more of a scenic, natural feel. Can't go wrong at either one. It's great that they both have docks now. The last time I went to Labadee, I stayed onboard until after lunch, and then enjoyed the latter part of the day when a lot of the crowd went back on the ship. Felt like I had the place to myself towards the end. 

Yes, that's correct you can avoid the vendors around Market Square by not going there (area around number 25 on map).
https://creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/Private_Destinations/14039222_Labadee_Map.pdf

I've found that while some might feel they are being accosted by the locals, they are pretty tame when compared to some peddlers in other parts of the world. 

On 3/10/2022 at 4:59 PM, George C said:

If in a suite then definitely ladabee which has a very nice beach with upgraded buffet and great service, nothing special for suites in coco cay. 

They are adding a Suite Beach to Coco Cay, Barefoot Beach. It's supposed to be done late this year.

The best cruise is one that goes to both in one trip!  Hoping to do that yet this year.  I like being able to walk off, no cabs and just enjoy the beach. 2 all inclusive beach days would be wonderful.  

I do like the pool at CocoCay but Labadee is more rustic, not as commercial.  Also Labadee has a suite section.  Nothing for suites at CocoCay.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jimbo said:

I thought they were only in 1 area of Labadee, so if you didn't go over there it's not an issue....has that changed?

Edited by bigque

On 3/10/2022 at 3:26 PM, D4 said:

We were at both of them on a B2B right before the shutdown.

Definitely CocoCay for us.  I prefer everything about it over Labadee.

One thing we especially didn’t like about Labadee was all the local people pestering you to look at the stuff they’re selling.  I understand they’re just trying to make a living in a very poor country, but we’ve been on 45+  cruises and aren’t interested in buying souvenirs.  I always responded with a pleasant “No thank you”, but they would follow us and keep insisting that we look at their wares.  Not very relaxing.

But you don’t have to walk back there to the vendor area. There is also a painted yellow line in front of their booths that they can’t cross to bother you other than saying something as you go by. If you cross that line into their space however you are all theirs. They also can’t come onto the beaches to try to sell you stuff. 

On 3/10/2022 at 2:26 PM, TwinMamainMN said:

Which do you prefer and why? We finally got to see Coco Cay last week on Odyssey and loved it. Booked Oasis in March 2023 and the itinerary has both.

We went to both Labadee and CocoCay last week (our 4th time in CocoCay since the re-start last year). We like Labadee as a "private island" because it has a more laid back feel.  The loungers are all pre-set up (socially distant).

wrt the vendors on Labadee, we particularly like walking down and being "invited" to visit stalls. It's the same as visiting any market in the Caribbean or Mexico. 

Photos from Labadee starting on Post #97 (click on the top "Wonder of the Seas - The Inaugural")

Photos from CocoCay starting at Post #192 (click on the top "Wonder of the Seas - The Inaugural")

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, brillohead said:

Source?

I've only heard about the adults-only beach planned.

I don't know what they are doing, but to the right of the pier(standing on the pier looking at the water park, they are doing something with heavy equipment as of yesterday.  

2 minutes ago, resetjet said:

I don't know what they are doing, but to the right of the pier(standing on the pier looking at the water park, they are doing something with heavy equipment as of yesterday.  

Maybe that is the new adults only area

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, resetjet said:

Pretty sure that's the adults area that has been discussed several times.

6 minutes ago, RFerrington said:

Maybe that is the new adults only area

Agreed

4 hours ago, cruiselvr04 said:

The best cruise is one that goes to both in one trip!  Hoping to do that yet this year.  I like being able to walk off, no cabs and just enjoy the beach. 2 all inclusive beach days would be wonderful.  

I do like the pool at CocoCay but Labadee is more rustic, not as commercial.  Also Labadee has a suite section.  Nothing for suites at CocoCay.  

We are on Allure for an October cruise that goes to both. Really looking forward to it. 

• Like 1