Passports?

janetz

Hi all

Last of many cruises was right before Covid hit

Seniors, looking at a cruise next month on the Odyssey and realized our passports just expired!

Closed loop from FLL
I believe we can cruise with our Birth Certificates and Licenses 

Thoughts?? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, janetz said:

Hi all

Seniors, looking at a cruise next month on the Odyssey and realized our passports just expired!

Closed loop from FLL

Thoughts?? 

Yes you can.

Take your expired passports with you, if you get put off on a foreign country, it will help facilitate your getting a new one issued. Odds of needing that? Odds are very good you'll never need it, but it's simple enough to pop it in your suitcase

• Like 3

If they have the new facial recognition system for departure you won't be able to use it, you'll need to stand in line and talk to the customs agent. After you pick up your suitcases they will have a separate line for those travelling with a birth certificate. (They have facial recognition in Miami, not sure about FLL).

With the new system when you depart the ship you don't have to show your passport to a customs agent and answer questions, you just stand in front of a camera for facial recognition and then you're free to leave. Super fast. 

1 hour ago, Charles4515 said:

OP does not have a valid passport so facial recognition is moot. You all are really taking this thread into the weeds. OP's question was answered.

OP asked for thoughts. These are thoughts relevant to the topic OP broached. 

DeputyDawg46 was replying to a post that noted facial recognition is not available when travelling with a birth certificate so it was already known to be moot, but it was unknown whether this was the case in FLL, and now we know thanks to DeputyDawg46. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, SG65CB said:

OP asked for thoughts. These are thoughts relevant to the topic OP broached. 

The OP asked for thoughts about using birth certificates. 

He did not ask about Facial recognition.

Or if Fort Lauderdale has them.

Charles4515 was correct..

11 hours ago, janetz said:

Hi all

Closed loop from FLL

Thoughts?? 

My first question would be how long would it take to get a passport under normal and these circumstances? If you are able to get one fast tracked, it may be worth the hassle.

Getting a passport depends on volume of applications received.  My wife ordered one with expedited service in early January and it was processed in under four weeks.  Expedited processing commitment is 6-8 weeks.  As you get closer to summer, the delivery timeframe might increase because of volume.

The question was answered, but (in my opinion) no one should travel to another country without a valid passport.   

OP didn’t ask my opinion, or whether just the birth certificate was a good idea.

But,  the OP stated they were seniors. To me that would be a red flag to have a valid passport outside of the country in case of emergency. Sadly I’ve seen my fill of medical transports off of a ship  and to a hospital in a foreign country.  

Of course all of this is a moot point since the cruise is next month (I could be just a couple of weeks).  Not sure why they bothered asking at this point. 

m

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

OP does not have a valid passport so facial recognition is moot. You all are really taking this thread into the weeds. OP's question was answered.

I always get a kick out of watching someone derail a thread further by getting into how derailed it is.

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, janetz said:

Hi all

Closed loop from FLL

Thoughts?? 

You also can walk through a passport renewal by appointment if you want to try that.  I don't recall all the details and effort that takes, but it's something worth looking into if you'd rather have the passport.

Cheers!

Yes, if you are traveling soon, and are located near a passport office, you can go in and get a passport even same day (if you are traveling within 72 hours).

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/get-fast.html

Urgent Travel Service: Some agencies and centers are also offering limited appointments for customers who have urgent international travel in the next 5 business days for reasons other than a life-or-death emergency. You may schedule an appointment if you are traveling within 2 weeks or need a foreign visa within 4 weeks; however, the appointment cannot occur more than 5 business days before your date of travel, or 10 business days if you require a visa. Call 1-877-487-2778 from 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. ET, Mondays through Fridays. Our appointment line for Urgent Travel Service is closed on weekends and federal holidays.