Live Aboard The Nieuw Amsterdam

Wakepatrol

Sitting in the lido after 8 years

feels like a comfortable old shoe

After dog sitters falling through 

the anxiety of passing Covid test we are here now.

The crew say they are expecting 900 guests. It’s blowing a gale here at Port Everglades 

I will answer any questions you might have. I take my hat off to those traveling from afar. I’m mentally cooked from the 90 minute drive from my house 

Edited by Wakepatrol
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

• Wakepatrol changed the title to Live Aboard The Nieuw Amsterdam
11 minutes ago, Sea42 said:

Have a wonderful cruise! I look forward to hearing your impressions after such a long time away from HAL

Thank you- We just got busy over the years. We downsized went on a couple of Carnival Cruises on the breeze then went to Cuba on RCL then the pandemic hit.

The staff are super friendly and I’m quite surprised there’s only 900 on here for spring break.

Bread pudding was the bomb

I missed you so much😂

ship is beautiful with a limited crowd should be great 😀

• Like 3

OK, that is it.  Please do not mention Bread Pudding again.  The only people who can make Bread Pudding are on a Dam ship.  Sometimes we go out to eat.  DW says "oh look, bread pudding".  Like the idiot I am, I fall for it everytime and the bread pudding is not what it should be.  So, I do not want to hear how good it is onboard.  (ok then, post a pic and I will lick my laptop screen! 😋

ps. have a great cruise.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

2 hours ago, Cruisetrekker said:

I for one am looking forward to again renew my love of the famous and always wonderful bread pudding after 8 years also !!!  I heard it is also available in chocolate on some ships .. True ???

Yes, I have seen Chocolate Bread Pudding as well as the traditional kind.  

3 hours ago, Cruisetrekker said:

I for one am looking forward to again renew my love of the famous and always wonderful bread pudding after 8 years also !!!  I heard it is also available in chocolate on some ships .. True ???

Both were available on Rotterdam's 2/20+27/2022 cruise. Yummy!

We are so excited to be sailing on the Nieuw Amsterdam May first going to Alaska.  I don't think I've ever had the bread pudding but I am sure going to try it if it is offered.  I am wondering if they serve Nobilo (wine) from New Zealand and how much it will be by the glass.  We have a beverage package but unlike other lines, Holland America makes you pay the full price if your beverage exceeds the price limit.  If you drink white wine, I would love to hear what you've enjoyed that doesn't exceed the $11 limit.  Enjoy your cruise.

1 minute ago, darstamp said:

I am wondering if they serve Nobilo (wine) from New Zealand and how much it will be by the glass.

As one who enjoys New Zealand's Sauvignon Blanc wines, I think they now do.  They used to have Villa Maria available which is a better New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc, in my opinion.  (HAL's bartenders with whom I have discussed this issue agree.)  No recent knowledge what the price by the glass may be.  A tip:  buy a bottle and have the bottle stored at one of the bars.  The price per glass will be less.  If you are in one Lounge and your bottle is stored in a different bar, as long as that bar is open, a Steward ought to be able to retrieve your bottle from wherever it is for you to be served.  That has been my experience on more than one HAL cruise.  

• Like 2

23 hours ago, darstamp said:

We are so excited to be sailing on the Nieuw Amsterdam May first going to Alaska.  I don't think I've ever had the bread pudding but I am sure going to try it if it is offered.  I am wondering if they serve Nobilo (wine) from New Zealand and how much it will be by the glass.  We have a beverage package but unlike other lines, Holland America makes you pay the full price if your beverage exceeds the price limit.  If you drink white wine, I would love to hear what you've enjoyed that doesn't exceed the $11 limit.  Enjoy your cruise.

Off the Rotterdam in Feb’22. Nobilo was available and $11/glass so covered on the signature beverage package if you are it 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/14/2022 at 6:11 PM, darstamp said:

We are so excited to be sailing on the Nieuw Amsterdam May first going to Alaska.  I don't think I've ever had the bread pudding but I am sure going to try it if it is offered.  

In the past, we saw the bread pudding (self-serve) next to the ice cream station and NOT with the air-cake desserts. Or ask if not there.

• Like 1

On 3/14/2022 at 5:11 PM, darstamp said:

Try the breakfast bread pudding in the dining room. It is the best onboard. 

• Like 1

We are booked on the Nieuw Amsterdam next October, Vancouver to FLL. Our second Panama crossing and taking my brother and SIL for their first! Crossed fingers for nothing to make us call it off as our March 2020 FCC will expire at end of this year.

ETA: At our customary level of spending, we will be 4 star after that cruise!

Edited by crystalspin
  • Like 1