Drone Question

karatemom2

Does anyone have any personal experience in bringing a drone along on your cruise? We have an upcoming cruise on the Bliss and my daughter’s boyfriend would like to bring his drone to do some filming in the ports. Definitely would not be using it on the ship of course and he would be happy to have them hold it at guest services between ports if that’s required. Any advice is appreciated!

• Like 1

I would think if any of your destinations allowed drone flights you might be able to contact NCL ahead of time and make arrangements to have them hold the drone until you reach those ports. It's worth a shot to ask; but of course they may just consider it against policy period. Unless someone on this board has specific experience; I think your only option is to contact NCL after you have determined you could use it in a specific port(s).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, karatemom2 said:

Does anyone have any personal experience in bringing a drone along on your cruise? We have an upcoming cruise on the Bliss and my daughter’s boyfriend would like to bring his drone to do some filming in the ports. Definitely would not be using it on the ship of course and he would be happy to have them hold it at guest services between ports if that’s required. Any advice is appreciated!

Not allowed on the ship at all, leave your little model airplane toy at home.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, karatemom2 said:

If hand carried, the port security will confiscate the drone at the security checkpoint. It may be possible to get the ship to hold it so that it is accessible at port. If you pack it in your luggage, your luggage will be confiscated and sent to the Naughty Room. You will then spend time in a [long] line on your first night waiting to recover your bag. 

The bigger question is the legality of operating the drone in foreign countries you are visiting. Both operating and transmitting in the frequency range used by the specific drone. And the potential of operating the drone in restricted areas. If boyfriend operates illegally, he maybe arrested... which may be your objective. 

Leave the drone at home. 

• Haha 2

Thank you for the replies. Certainly don’t want to get into trouble which is why I asked the question. He is a film maker and quite talented, not a trouble maker. He was just hoping to get some stock footage for a film he’s creating. I will share this information with him. 

Edited by karatemom2

6 hours ago, karatemom2 said:

Thank you for the replies. Certainly don’t want to get into trouble which is why I asked the question. He is a film maker and quite talented, not a trouble maker. He was just hoping to get some stock footage for a film he’s creating. I will share this information with him. 

IMO a very legit question to ask.  You have the answer and just because it seems to be not allowed, does not mean it was a bad question.  

• Like 2

On 3/13/2022 at 7:33 AM, LGW59 said:

IMO a very legit question to ask.  You have the answer and just because it seems to be not allowed, does not mean it was a bad question.  

EXACTLY !! Some on here seem to be so disgusted with questions.

• Like 2

On 3/12/2022 at 8:39 PM, Turtles06 said:

Not a question of “may consider it against policy,” it IS against policy. See the comment immediately above yours. 

You are quoting only a portion of my answer and taking it out of context. See full answer above.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Coming back to follow up on this question since I got such a strong response on even asking. Calls made to NCL to clarify received a mixed response and although it appeared from the policy it was prohibited he also spoke to people who said it could be checked with guest services for use in ports only. So, since they were driving to port he figured worse case if he was denied he could put it back in the car. However, NCL could not have been nicer about it. He pulled it from his carryon at check-in and asked if they could hold it at guest services for him to check it in and out in the ports. And they were happy to do so. He picked it up upon leaving for port days and turned it back in on returning to the ship. He had confirmed the legality of use in Mexico and was able to get some great footage in the ports. And no one was rude, condescending or nasty about it. And by the way, he was not the only passenger checking one in and out, along with other passengers checking fishing gear in and out. Thank you to those who were kind and thoughtful in their responses. I wanted to come back and share what the actual outcome was for those who might have a similar question. 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 3

fascinating topic.

just as a data point... i used to travel with my ex and she droned on and on, particularly if she had been drinking. she was always allowed to board, never denied, although i wish i had known then what i know now... that drones are prohibited.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

9 hours ago, karatemom2 said:

. He picked it up upon leaving for port days and turned it back in on returning to the ship. He had confirmed the legality of use in Mexico and was able to get some great footage in the ports. And no one was rude, condescending or nasty about it. And by the way, he was not the only passenger checking one in and out, along with other passengers checking fishing gear in and out. Thank you to those who were kind and thoughtful in their responses. I wanted to come back and share what the actual outcome was for those who might have a similar question. 

Thank you thank you thank you! This simply proves while NCL has  a "policy" they will, if it fits within reason work to accommodate guest requests. I had hoped this would be the outcome! They can't help you if you don't ask.

I hope his film footage is everything he hoped for, and your vacation was nothing but a pleasure.

• Like 3

Just now, GUT2407 said:

Glad to hear it all worked out.

Just be aware next time the answer may be no. Wish I knew why cruise lines make rules that are clear and then apply them so inconsistently.

Are they being inconsistent? The policy may read no drones on board, which easily could be translated to no drones available on board but may be check with the purser and available when disembarking in ports. No one who answered previously spoke from experience after asking the question to NCL. At best they highlighted the policy line or shot from the hip. That's the good and the bad of this board; some people speak from experience, some from belief or conjecture, and others from somewhere deep in left field. It's the readers job to ferret out what makes sense to them to move forward. Thankfully Karatemom2 went forward and asked NCL the question and was able to get NCL's answer... the one that ultimately mattered.

• Like 2

On 3/12/2022 at 11:37 PM, Cruiseandgamble said:

Drones are on the Prohibited Items list...image.thumb.png.1e9904f3f524f28e909129b378e353ab.png

A few years ago my ex contacted them in advance and was able to take an air wheel on board (#23 on prohibited list). He just dropped off/collected it from security each day - pretty sure they charged it up for him too. I wish he'd ridden it straight off the pier but that's a story for another day... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 3/12/2022 at 6:17 PM, karatemom2 said:

I've brought mine on three cruises, Bermuda and Eastern and Western Caribbean. Packed it in my checked luggage and then took it on and off the ship in a small backpack. Only in Bermuda was I asked to leave it with security. They gave me a card and to get it when I wanted to take it off the ship. It was actually kind of funny, a bunch of the officers were really interested in it and I ended up doing a 30 minute demo for them. They gave me permission to fly over the shipped while it was docked, NLC asked if the could use some of my footage. IDK if they ever did

Edited by Laszlo
  • Like 3

On 3/12/2022 at 8:54 PM, MoCruiseFan said:

Not allowed on the ship at all, leave your little model airplane toy at home.

That not really fair. They are definitely more of a toy helicopter.

They're sort of weird devises in that when you see a good drone video your reaction is "Oh that's cool!" But when you're there when the drone operator is actually making such a video your reaction is "What a jackazz."

Or maybe it's more accurate to say my reaction to drones is what is weird.

Edited by Earthworm Jim

16 hours ago, karatemom2 said:

Coming back to follow up on this question since I got such a strong response on even asking. Calls made to NCL to clarify received a mixed response and although it appeared from the policy it was prohibited he also spoke to people who said it could be checked with guest services for use in ports only. So, since they were driving to port he figured worse case if he was denied he could put it back in the car. However, NCL could not have been nicer about it. He pulled it from his carryon at check-in and asked if they could hold it at guest services for him to check it in and out in the ports. And they were happy to do so. He picked it up upon leaving for port days and turned it back in on returning to the ship. He had confirmed the legality of use in Mexico and was able to get some great footage in the ports. And no one was rude, condescending or nasty about it. And by the way, he was not the only passenger checking one in and out, along with other passengers checking fishing gear in and out. Thank you to those who were kind and thoughtful in their responses. I wanted to come back and share what the actual outcome was for those who might have a similar question. 

Excellent!

• 1 year later...

Hey everyone. Just an update after nearly an hour conversation with NCL today before my upcoming cruise. After they spoke to several departments and people including security and drone pilot in a department somewhere. I have been given permission to take my drone aboard providing i give it to security on boarding to keep and i can have in any port i want. 

as I've my EASA license and USA trust certificate full PL insurance worldwide and work with SAR and fully qualified in the uk etc. So if people with no qualifications or experience could convince them I've no idea but i think the worst they will do is confiscate your drone for the voyage.

Hope this helps 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, HowardK said:

They are dangerous and prohibited. Kind of like when they banned fireworks after having them on the Brekaway. 

Anything is dangerous in the wrong hands. Not dangerous if you're not keeping it in your cabin. And the ship stores it until you're in a port 

Edited by Nickh101
  • Like 3