Dining rooms, and men.

Sue sue sue

Hi…. We haven’t been on  Carnival for over 5 years.

Just by chance, not even when we weren’t even looking for a cruise, up came a deal we couldn’t refuse….. 

My husband was “ Just book it! “

So….We’re going on the Freedom for 8 days in a few days.

My question is…The Carnival website now says no shorts in the dining room for dinner.

Does it now mean no smart shorts? He always wore smart shorts and a polo shirt, is this now a no-no, or does it mean no swim or gym shorts?
In short, (no pun intended) … does it mean I have to drag him around the stores in the next couple of days? 🙄🙄

I’m not talking formal nights, just ordinary nights.

Also, talking of formal nights …do we still get lobster on formal nights?

Edited by Sue sue sue
Typo

On non-elegant nights I typically wear shorts with a polo or button down shirt.

Shorts (non-gym shorts)  are part of the dress code on non-elegant nights.  Here is the information for their website FAQ:

“Cruise Casual” Dress Code

• Men: sports slacks, khakis, jeans, long dress shorts and collared polo shirts
  • Women: summer dresses, casual skirts, pants, capris, dress shorts, jeans blouses and tops
  • Not permitted: cut-off jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, tee-shirts, gym or basketball shorts, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire

Be sure to bring a red or blue outfit or a top for our Mega Deck Party.

“Cruise Elegant” Dress Code (formal evenings)

• 2-day to 5-day cruise: one “Cruise Elegant” evening
  • 6-day or longer cruise: two “Cruise Elegant” evenings

The first “Cruise Elegant” evening is scheduled for the second or third evening of the cruise and the second “Cruise Elegant” evening is the second or third evening prior to the end of the cruise, itinerary schedule permitting. 

• Men: dress slacks, dress shirts, and we also suggest a sport coat; men may also wish to wear a suit and tie or tuxedo
  • Women: cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; ladies may also wish to wear an evening gown
  • Not permitted: jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, shorts, tee-shirts, sportswear, shorts, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire 
  • Like 1

Dress codes pretty much no longer exist.  On our recent Vista cruise we saw just about everything in the dining room - Suits, shorts, dressy, jeans, sweat pants, you name it.  My wife made the comment one night it looked like shopping at Wal Mart on a Saturday.😃

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

6 minutes ago, adonisr said:

Dress codes pretty much no longer exist.  On our recent Vista cruise we saw just about everything in the dining room - Suits, shorts, dressy, jeans, sweat pants, you name it. 

It's been that way long enough that I don't understand why Carnival doesn't just go to something similar to NCL's Freestyle dining. Maybe they like watching people on social media going at each other over the issue.

• Like 3

Yep. On our Vista cruise, I'd wear khaki pants and a dress shirt to dinner on formal nights, but we had people seated next to us wearing track shorts, basketball jerseys and ball caps. The only reason I don't wear shorts those nights is on the off chance the MDR host decides to enforce the dress code that night - and we usually want to take a picture or two. I wear nice khaki shorts and nice collared Columbia fishing shirts the other nights usually.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, hurricane0226 said:

What if Carnival did away with elegant nights, and also lobster tails to save money, would people start 

complaining?

They already don't serve lobster on cruises <6 days and I don't think anyone complains...

17 minutes ago, cruizergal70 said:

OP, your husband doesn't own a pair of pants?

He probably does but is like me though I wear jeans rather than shorts. In both cases it is a pain in the butt to pack a pair of good pants just to wear on elegant nights. We just eat other places those nights so as not to rain on other people's parade.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hurricane0226 said:

What if Carnival did away with elegant nights, and also lobster tails to save money, would people start 

complaining?

Call me an old fuddy duddy, but I look forward to elegant nights. It's a good reason to dress up that doesn't involve a wedding or a funeral. 

Edited by brewwhat
Spelling
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Unless it is formal night, I have ALWAYS worn shorts to dinner on my Carnival cruises.

Usually gym shorts but occasionally khaki shorts.

Around 2003, i was on a cruise and the maitre d tried to stop me. I told him politely that i understand his job and position but i was going to sit down with my family and enjoy my dinner. I also told him that i would hold no ill will if he had to call security and have me drug out of the main dining room.  Nothing happened. And every other night of the cruise, i walked in, wearing shorts and waved at him as i went to my seat.

None of my other 10 cruises since have had a peep or issue.

11 hours ago, brewwhat said:

Call me an old fuddy duddy, but I look forward to elegant nights. It's a good reason to dress up that doesn't involve a wedding or a funeral. 

Mr. Fuddy Duddy....I was always the same way.  I NEVER get dressed up that much as I don't need to for work or anything else.  But as we fly in and the price of baggage I have stopped. It is just to much luggage for us with 2 boys and myself needing suits.  As I get older, I will probably go back to bringing my suite as I think I do look good in it.