What’s the ONE thing you wish you had known about river cruising?

Gopherpharm

7 minutes ago, Gopherpharm said:

@travelingman all good points!

@Canal archive we are expecting to be pretty tired…the schedule is busy!

I do have to admit...this is one of the few vacations we took that we really needed a vacation after.  We did both morning and afternoon tours, 2 days before the cruise of walking all over Amsterdam and Zuiderzeemuseum, and other than the morning sail to Cologne & the hour or so through the Middle Rhine, we walked. Guess that's why we never gained any weight, although we ate more than normal.  We took a day to travel by train from Basel to Amsterdam along the Rhine to see what we missed sailing, and it felt funny relaxing. 🙂

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

One thing that surprised me was the cobblestone streets on most of the walking tours.  Make sure you bring shoes with sturdy soles!

Ah, yes, something that did not surprise me at all of course, but it is an important point that you can miss when planning and you live in the US.

I went on my river cruise completely with an open mind and there was nothing that would have made it even more enjoyable if I had prepared more. The one thing I found surprising was how busy it was in Vienna and that we had to dock third in line in Nussdorf there. But with my relatively young legs I had no problems adjusting to the situation.

On the Rhine it is different but you may dock in Kehl, so Strasbourg is on the other side of the river from where you take the ship's shuttle or the tram if you wish.

notamermaid

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

One thing that surprised me was the cobblestone streets on most of the walking tours.  Make sure you bring shoes with sturdy soles!

My husband and I both decided to get new walking shoes and break them in before this trip. Ours were getting worn for sure. While I know European style tends to be a little less sporty, I gotta have my sneakers for all that walking!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gopherpharm said:

My husband and I both decided to get new walking shoes and break them in before this trip. Ours were getting worn for sure. While I know European style tends to be a little less sporty, I gotta have my sneakers for all that walking!

Make sure they are waterproof!

• Like 1

On 3/14/2022 at 5:10 PM, Gopherpharm said:

I love the weight of a duvet but it’s usually too warm for sleeping for me. 

We are all so different!  I hate the weight of the duvet and it is too warm for met too, usually.

• Like 1

Imagine a coach load of teenage school girls in the early 60s from the U.K. on a trip through Europe to Austria, our first hotel up to our rooms, well dormitory to be confronted with duvets, shock horror. Then in the morning you tuck them over the open window on the windowsill to air and then hotel lady is horrified that you don’t know how to do this.  Coupled with a you know what two foot placements toilet! Kell horibble.

I know know there are different weights of duvets, so just ask for a summer weight if it’s to hot and whoever I’ve been in Europe they seem to have discarded the aforementioned toilets.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Canal archive said:

Imagine a coach load of teenage school girls in the early 60s from the U.K. on a trip through Europe to Austria, our first hotel up to our rooms, well dormitory to be confronted with duvets, shock horror. Then in the morning you tuck them over the open window on the windowsill to air and then hotel lady is horrified that you don’t know how to do this.  Coupled with a you know what two foot placements toilet! Kell horibble.

I know know there are different weights of duvets, so just ask for a summer weight if it’s to hot and whoever I’ve been in Europe they seem to have discarded the aforementioned toilets.

Kell horrible! I lived in So Europe mid seventies and I encountered many of them. I still to this day am nervous to flush…….. TMI?

• Like 1

The decor on Uniworld also provides conversation starters!  There was a piece of artwork on one cruise, that my husband asked the crew if they got tired of seeing it.  🙂  Two lessons learned... #1 don't go overboard with packing.  You don't need the full outfit change for dinner, maybe a fresh shirt and different shoes.  I routinely wore the clean shirt "scheduled" for the next day with nicer black pants.  I did bring one fancier top.  My husband stopped bringing ties or a jacket after the first cruise.  Nobody notices or cares what you're wearing (unless you're really pushing either end of the spectrum) #2, if they offer a "do as locals do" type tour, opt for it.  

To add to the duvet discussion, on our first Uniworld the bed was made with 2 duvets, one for me and one for my husband.  This solved a lifetime of problems with one person hogging (or discarding) the heavier blanket.  When we returned home I got us each a duvet that we can use (or not use) at our own discretion and comfort level.

Edited by beesKate
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Weighing on the duvet issue, on a tour of Iceland a few years ago dear wife was thrilled that in each hotel the beds were made up with his and her duvets, one for each side!!!  No tugging at the covers being hogged by one or the other!!  Nicely done, Iceland!

• Like 1

@Gopherpharm All the more reason to go on multiple Uniworld cruises.  After you're a member of the "Heritage Club" a free load of laundry is a perk.  It's amazing how much you can fit in that fairly small bag!  Especially helpful if you do a pre-trip or are planning a post-trip on your own.  

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, beesKate said:

@Gopherpharm All the more reason to go on multiple Uniworld cruises.  After you're a member of the "Heritage Club" a free load of laundry is a perk.  It's amazing how much you can fit in that fairly small bag!  Especially helpful if you do a pre-trip or are planning a post-trip on your own.  

The Guest Laundry (going on my 9 Uniworld in May) is wonderful, read the instructions to make sure you do not set the long time!!!  I take Color Catcher sheets with me, you can wash dark and lights in cold water (one wash)!  I do get one free bag of laundry but I have a few Eileen Fisher items I like to wash myself.

• Like 1

You get a bag of washing with Scenic and more in some cabins I’m also pretty sure you get a couple of items a day pressed.  I must admit to having to look up Eileen Fisher and have found it at John Lewis looks good I feel a shopping trip in the very near future.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Second seating said:

The Guest Laundry (going on my 9 Uniworld in May) is wonderful, read the instructions to make sure you do not set the long time!!!  I take Color Catcher sheets with me, you can wash dark and lights in cold water (one wash)!  I do get one free bag of laundry but I have a few Eileen Fisher items I like to wash myself.

Thank you that is helpful! I’m trying to only bring a couple colors (yes, mostly black…it’s my staple) for ease in mixing it up, and for laundry purposes. I think I have some color catcher sheets!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Canal archive said:

You get a bag of washing with Scenic and more in some cabins I’m also pretty sure you get a couple of items a day pressed.  I must admit to having to look up Eileen Fisher and have found it at John Lewis looks good I feel a shopping trip in the very near future.

Is there a laundry room on Scenic ships?

Thanks,