CDC Lowers Covid Warnings for Cruising

sunonfire

57 minutes ago, RCLcruiser2012 said:

Good news! Now to make it testing for everyone and not mandatory vaccine as well!  😭 I miss cruising as do so many other folks. 

I'm right there with you, I feel that will all be coming soon enough.

• Like 3

On 3/16/2022 at 8:11 PM, ninjacat123 said:

This is great news!  Thx for posting👍

Is it great news? I daresay few cruisers have any idea what the cruise warning level is. And of those who do know, how many let it have any influence on their decision to cruise?

It's certainly not bad news, but it don't really think it makes much difference either way.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Earthworm Jim said:

Is it great news? I daresay few cruisers have any idea what the cruise warning level is. And of those who do know, how many let it have any influence on their decision to cruise?

It's certainly not bad news, but it don't really think it makes much difference either way.

I agree, I cruised under the highest warning level and had a great time. I guess it's good news because it means COVID is loosening it's grip on our society. But yeah, I imagine most of the folks on here are going to cruise whether the CDC says it's safe or not.

14 hours ago, RichYak said:

You don't think less covid among cruise crew is great news?

That wasn't the news the OP reported. The news was the the CDC lowered their Covid cruise warning level.

Lowering the warning level didn't cause a reduction of covid cases among crew. That had already happened and the change in warning had no impact on that fact.

Edited by Earthworm Jim
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Earthworm Jim said:

Lowering the warning level didn't cause a reduction of covid cases among crew.

The CDC warning level is a function of cases among crew. So a lower warning is, by definition, lower crew case counts.

On 3/17/2022 at 1:05 PM, RCLcruiser2012 said:

Good news! Now to make it testing for everyone and not mandatory vaccine as well!  😭 I miss cruising as do so many other folks. 

I lean the other way - no more testing but keep mandatory vaccine.  I know they can't please everyone, but the stress of having a test done 3 days before cruising is getting worse.  Since the cases are lower there are fewer places that have testing - Walgreens has been awesome for us, but I heard they will probably stop the testing in the next few weeks. 

I know I can order the proctored self tests (I did this on my first cruise after COVID) but the drive thru free testing at Walgreens has been so much easier for us.  Oh well....back to ordering I guess.  I have 3 more cruises booked this year - 1 in June and 2 in November.  Fingers crossed that things just keep getting better.

• Like 6

58 minutes ago, RichYak said:

The CDC warning level is a function of cases among crew. So a lower warning is, by definition, lower crew case counts.

Again, it's the cases among crew that's important. The warning level that comes with it, not so much. And we are talking about the warning level.

9 minutes ago, sc4125 said:

I lean the other way - no more testing but keep mandatory vaccine.  I know they can't please everyone, but the stress of having a test done 3 days before cruising is getting worse.  Since the cases are lower there are fewer places that have testing - Walgreens has been awesome for us, but I heard they will probably stop the testing in the next few weeks. 

I know I can order the proctored self tests (I did this on my first cruise after COVID) but the drive thru free testing at Walgreens has been so much easier for us.  Oh well....back to ordering I guess.  I have 3 more cruises booked this year - 1 in June and 2 in November.  Fingers crossed that things just keep getting better.

May I ask where you heard Walgreens is stopping testing?  This is also our go to place for testing  

1 minute ago, jabberjaw070596 said:

May I ask where you heard Walgreens is stopping testing?  This is also our go to place for testing  

We live in central Florida (Lakeland) and a week ago when I was picking up a prescription, I asked how things were going with the testing.  She said that things had slowed down considerably and that management wasn't sure how much longer they would be providing the service.  I loved getting tested there, so hoping that it continues.

43 minutes ago, Earthworm Jim said:

Again, it's the cases among crew that's important. The warning level that comes with it, not so much. And we are talking about the warning level.

They're the same thing. How could one be important and the other not? The warning level is based solely on the number of positive crew counts over the last 14 days. It's just an easier to understand (or I guess in your case not easier to understand) number for people to digest.

20 hours ago, RichYak said:

They're the same thing. How could one be important and the other not? The warning level is based solely on the number of positive crew counts over the last 14 days. It's just an easier to understand (or I guess in your case not easier to understand) number for people to digest.

OK, I give up, you win. The fact that the warning level went down is what's critically important. And until the day the CDC decided to tie the warning level to the crew case numbers and drop the warning level, the drastic drop in crew cases was meaningless. The drop in crew cases only became important once the CDC dropped the warning level, and if the warning level hadn't been dropped, the decrease in crew cases still would be unimportant. It's only important because the warning level dropped. Thus making the warning level super-duper important. 🙄

Have it your way.

Edited by Earthworm Jim

6 hours ago, Earthworm Jim said:

OK, I give up, you win. The fact that the warning level went down is what's critically important. And until the day the CDC decided to tie the warning level to the crew case numbers and drop the warning level, the drastic drop in crew cases was meaningless. The drop in crew cases only became important once the CDC dropped the warning level, and if the warning level hadn't been dropped, the decrease in crew cases still would be unimportant. It's only important because the warning level dropped. Thus making the warning level super-duper important. 🙄

Have it your way.

I think it's fair to say you have no understanding of the math behind the CDC's warning level for cruising.

On 3/18/2022 at 3:07 PM, scorpioncrawl said:

Level 2 from CDC is not about the crew....it means that contacting covid is lesser than it was-Overall

100% incorrect. The CDC's cruise warning level is based on positive crew counts only.

Capture.JPG

• Like 1

The OP posted a link to an article that contained this statement:

The primary criteria for determining the health notice for cruises is the number of cumulative new coronavirus cases in crew members over the past 14 days; that number needs to be between 500 and 999 to be considered “moderate.”

Seems that this is an important point regarding the news from the original poster...

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, RichYak said:

I think it's fair to say you have no understanding of the math behind the CDC's warning level for cruising.

I think it's fair to say you have no understanding that the number of crew cases had already already dropped before the CDC released their new crew cases number risk warning criteria, and lowering the warning level didn't automatically make that good news even better.

3 hours ago, Earthworm Jim said:

didn't automatically make that good news even better.

No one made the claim that the news became better once it was reported publicly. In the end, you think it's good news and I think it's great news. How about we just leave it at that?