When will FTTF return?

Eli_6

Just a guess, but I'm thinking they want to make sure Covid isn't going to bounce back with a stronger variant. If things stay the way they are maybe we'll see FTTF and P&D perks back by the end of the year if not sooner. 

• Like 3

My guess is if things don't get worse with Covid and the #s pick up, by summer sailings.  If the lines and crowds are warranting FTTF they will allow for it....Carnival is not opposed to making more money off of us....LOL.

Edited by famof4togo
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

54 minutes ago, Rudyard said:

Just a guess, but I'm thinking they want to make sure Covid isn't going to bounce back with a stronger variant. If things stay the way they are maybe we'll see FTTF and P&D perks back by the end of the year if not sooner. 

That's probably as good a guess as any.

Unfortunately it looks like there's a new Covid variant that's again spreading like wildfire in Europe, it's most likely just a matter of time before we see it here.  

• Like 1

I think Carnival is slowly making strides towards the way things used to be.  We have embarked at 4 different ports since July, and each time it seemed a little more like before the pandemic.  Last month in California, Diamond/Platinum had a priority line and breezed right through check-in regardless of arrival appointment time (they did have to abide by their boarding group though).  And even though Diamond/Platinum don't technically have "priority" at this time, we are Platinum and have gotten an A01 boarding on every ship, allowing us to board within the first 10 - 15 minutes (right after the passengers in suites) so I consider that as good as priority.

I agree, if we don't see any covid-related setbacks, I think things will start to get back to normal by this summer. 

• Like 3

When I cruised on the Mardi Gras on March 26th, they said that anyone who had the word priority in their boarding pass could go through the line for suites to check in early.  Suites boarded first and everyone else had to wait until their zone was called to board the ship.  Since platinums could check in 16 days early, I had zone A02.

As far as getting off of the ship, we were given luggage tags with #4 on them.  However, we were also able to carry our luggage off ourselves and meet in the theater at 7:30.  Knowing that always means earlier, we showed up earlier than that and were led off of the ship at 7:15 in the order we arrived to the theater. I believe diamonds met in the Punchliner Comedy lounge and suites met somewhere else.

21 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

When I cruised on the Mardi Gras on March 26th, they said that anyone who had the word priority in their boarding pass could go through the line for suites to check in early.  Suites boarded first and everyone else had to wait until their zone was called to board the ship.  Since platinums could check in 16 days early, I had zone A02.

As far as getting off of the ship, we were given luggage tags with #4 on them.  However, we were also able to carry our luggage off ourselves and meet in the theater at 7:30.  Knowing that always means earlier, we showed up earlier than that and were led off of the ship at 7:15 in the order we arrived to the theater. I believe diamonds met in the Punchliner Comedy lounge and suites met somewhere else.

Did you go earlier than your check-in? I'm wondering if we don't get an early check-in time if we will be able to get in early (we are diamond and have a suite).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cruises42 said:

I'm wondering if we don't get an early check-in time if we will be able to get in early (we are diamond and have a suite).

Yes - we were on Mardi Gras in August and anyone in a suite was given priority regardless of check-in time.  You just show on your boarding pass that you are Diamond/in a suite, and you'll quickly get through check-in and go to the lounge area for guests in suites.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, csm5986142 said:

Yes - we were on Mardi Gras in August and anyone in a suite was given priority regardless of check-in time.  You just show on your boarding pass that you are Diamond/in a suite, and you'll quickly get through check-in and go to the lounge area for guests in suites.

Thanks! How did you like Mardi Gras? Any tips? We're going in less than 2 months!

27 minutes ago, cruises42 said:

Thanks! How did you like Mardi Gras? Any tips? We're going in less than 2 months!

We really loved it.  We were on its 3rd or 4th sailing, so the crew was very new (still figuring things out) and Covid was still quite an issue back then, so the ship was only about 50% full (several areas were empty/not open) so it was a different experience.  We are sailing Mardi Gras again in 2 weeks and I'm hearing it will be pretty full (spring break) so it will probably be a very different experience.  Your cruise in about 2 months should be perfect - the spring break crowd will die down, and the kids won't quite be out for summer break yet.  Have a great trip!

• Like 1

We have always been some of the most ardent FTTF fans out there... But honestly, for the 3 cruises we have taken so far since the restart, we haven't missed it at all. At least out of Galveston, between the facial recognition technology and VeriFLY, the whole embarkation process has become so streamlined and fast that we just haven't needed FTTF. And with no longer having to deal with Customs or any of that mess, disembarkation has become so blazing fast it's almost disconcerting how quickly we go from beautiful ship to sitting in our car ready to sadly go home, lol. Night and day difference from before.

The one thing we do miss is the dedicated line at guest services, but simply having that wouldn't be worth the extra $$ for us. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, cruises42 said:

Did you go earlier than your check-in? I'm wondering if we don't get an early check-in time if we will be able to get in early (we are diamond and have a suite).

I arrived at 9:30 and was able to go through the priority line (to the left when you get upstairs) even though my appointment time was later. I still had to wait until my zone was called, but it was nice not standing in line to check in.  Since you have a suite, you will not only get to go through the priority line, you will have a separate waiting area and get to board first.  Enjoy!!

Edited by TNcruising02
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, crazy4themouse said:

We have always been some of the most ardent FTTF fans out there... But honestly, for the 3 cruises we have taken so far since the restart, we haven't missed it at all. At least out of Galveston, between the facial recognition technology and VeriFLY, the whole embarkation process has become so streamlined and fast that we just haven't needed FTTF. And with no longer having to deal with Customs or any of that mess, disembarkation has become so blazing fast it's almost disconcerting how quickly we go from beautiful ship to sitting in our car ready to sadly go home, lol. Night and day difference from before.

The one thing we do miss is the dedicated line at guest services, but simply having that wouldn't be worth the extra $$ for us. 

We always cruise out of Galveston,  and haven't cruised since before Covid. Was surprised to see you mention we no longer have to mess with customs...what's that all about. Also...what/how do they use facial recognition technology. Thanks for any information. 

Just now, hillbillycruisers said:

We always cruise out of Galveston,  and haven't cruised since before Covid. Was surprised to see you mention we no longer have to mess with customs...what's that all about. Also...what/how do they use facial recognition technology. Thanks for any information. 

As long as you're traveling with a passport, they scan that at embarkation. When you disembark, instead of standing in those loooong lines with a bunch of tired, cranky people, waiting to stand in front of even crankier customs agents, you just grab your luggage and zip through the terminal -- pausing about 2 seconds in front of an ipad-looking-thing. It scans your face, and with a green light you're right on out the door. Literally takes 2 seconds. It's amazing!

2 hours ago, crazy4themouse said:

As long as you're traveling with a passport, they scan that at embarkation. When you disembark, instead of standing in those loooong lines with a bunch of tired, cranky people, waiting to stand in front of even crankier customs agents, you just grab your luggage and zip through the terminal -- pausing about 2 seconds in front of an ipad-looking-thing. It scans your face, and with a green light you're right on out the door. Literally takes 2 seconds. It's amazing!

we were on the Magic in January, and they had 3 of these machines, 2 were broken, still only took less than 5 minutes to go thru customs the old fashioned way

22 hours ago, csm5986142 said:

We really loved it.  We were on its 3rd or 4th sailing, so the crew was very new (still figuring things out) and Covid was still quite an issue back then, so the ship was only about 50% full (several areas were empty/not open) so it was a different experience.  We are sailing Mardi Gras again in 2 weeks and I'm hearing it will be pretty full (spring break) so it will probably be a very different experience.  Your cruise in about 2 months should be perfect - the spring break crowd will die down, and the kids won't quite be out for summer break yet.  Have a great trip!

Thanks, you too! You should come back and let us know how different it was this time.

9 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

I arrived at 9:30 and was able to go through the priority line (to the left when you get upstairs) even though my appointment time was later. I still had to wait until my zone was called, but it was nice not standing in line to check in.  Since you have a suite, you will not only get to go through the priority line, you will have a separate waiting area and get to board first.  Enjoy!!

Thanks! Really looking forward to it!

• Like 1

On 3/17/2022 at 3:54 PM, Eli_6 said:

Has anyone heard or read anything about when FTTF will return?  Or when/if platinum and diamond will get their priority boarding/debark perks reinstated?  

Just off Magic and came close to priority boarding. If in a suite or Diamond they sent us upstairs to board the ship prior to others.  Suites sat in red chairs and Diamond in blue chairs.  Platinum remained down stairs but in front of others

Maybe its just me but I don't get the appeal of FTTF. If I don't want to deal with lines during embarkation I would just wait and show up after the rush. Same with debarkation.... relax till the rush is over. And honestly the only time I have ever had to go to guest services on was unfortunately on my last 2 cruises because the new muster procedure had a tech issue and my card wouldn't scan.... what a pita that was

To each his own and I know carnival will resumes asap for the $

Personally, I enjoy the perks with FTTF. We've been on 10 cruises, but only 7 with Carnival..so we are not able to enjoy the features of FTTF without it. We've utilized it the last 3 cruises, and I personally think it's worth the extra money...at least the way it worked pre-Covid. I like getting on the boat quickly, and being allowed to drop off our carry-ons in our room before we go to lunch and exploring. Since we have a 12 hour drive awaiting us after debating, getting off the boat early is a big plus. Also...having the priority line at the service desk is nice too. On 4 of our 7 Carnival cruises, we've had bogus charges placed on our account, and of course this requires a visit to the service desk for corrections. Plus, at a tender port...such as Belize...you get priority tender boarding as well. Of course,  all these perks we experienced pre-Covid, who knows what might be included if they resume FTTF. 

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/19/2022 at 7:33 PM, hillbillycruisers said:

Personally, I enjoy the perks with FTTF. We've been on 10 cruises, but only 7 with Carnival..so we are not able to enjoy the features of FTTF without it. We've utilized it the last 3 cruises, and I personally think it's worth the extra money...at least the way it worked pre-Covid. I like getting on the boat quickly, and being allowed to drop off our carry-ons in our room before we go to lunch and exploring. Since we have a 12 hour drive awaiting us after debating, getting off the boat early is a big plus. Also...having the priority line at the service desk is nice too. On 4 of our 7 Carnival cruises, we've had bogus charges placed on our account, and of course this requires a visit to the service desk for corrections. Plus, at a tender port...such as Belize...you get priority tender boarding as well. Of course,  all these perks we experienced pre-Covid, who knows what might be included if they resume FTTF. 

This has been true for us as well. We always get FTTF and I am hoping they reinstate it before our June 25th Mardi Gras cruise. So many people think it's just about embarkation and debarkation, but to us those are the least of the perks. We like being able to drop our bags off in the cabin before noon so we don't have to lug them around with us (we drive and carry our bags on with us - usually just two rolling carry-on size bags). We also like the priority tender service if we don't have excursions booked at tender ports. And the priority line at Guest Services is priceless, IMO. I know a lot of people say they never have to go to GS, but sadly that has not been our experience. Not a single cruise for us has been without inaccurate charges or other problems that needed to be corrected. Our Magic cruise was the worst, as I think I had to go to GS at least once every day, and the regular line was horrible the entire time - even snaking through the atrium on multiple occasions to the point I took a photo just to prove it happened! The Priority line saved us a TON of time.

As for those who say FTTF dilutes the P/D benefit because - gasp - they might have to stand in the GS line for an extra minute behind a non-P/D person, no, it really doesn't. It's still a service that you get for free, while others have to pay for it. If P/D got a free spa pass, would it be any less of a perk due to others being able to buy a pass for the same services? After all, non-P/D people might be occupying all of the heated loungers at the exact time you want to use one. 

• Like 5