Drinks package question

colhutch

Hi, first time cruiser going with Carnival in May to Bahamas. This question has probably been asked before but I couldn't find anything in the multitude of posts on here. 

Carnival website says of the Cheers drinks package the statement below , does this mean that even with the drinks package we would pay tax on any drinks ordered at port, first cocktail before sail away etc, and any drinks whilst docked in the Bahamas ? 

Just trying to work out if drinks package is worth it, we do like to work our way through the cocktail menu but don't want a bill at the end if we've already taken the drinks package.

Thanks 

Applicable state and local taxes will be charged to the guest folio when this program is used within US waters. The tax is based on the state's tax structure and the cost of the individual drink purchased (not the daily program rate). For example: if the drink price is $5 and the tax is 10%, the guest's Sail & Sign card will be charged $0.50 for tax. This applies to all US ports (embarkation home ports and ports-of-call). 

2 hours ago, colhutch said:

Hi, first time cruiser going with Carnival in May to Bahamas. This question has probably been asked before but I couldn't find anything in the multitude of posts on here. 

Carnival website says of the Cheers drinks package the statement below , does this mean that even with the drinks package we would pay tax on any drinks ordered at port, first cocktail before sail away etc, and any drinks whilst docked in the Bahamas ? 

Just trying to work out if drinks package is worth it, we do like to work our way through the cocktail menu but don't want a bill at the end if we've already taken the drinks package.

Thanks 

Applicable state and local taxes will be charged to the guest folio when this program is used within US waters. The tax is based on the state's tax structure and the cost of the individual drink purchased (not the daily program rate). For example: if the drink price is $5 and the tax is 10%, the guest's Sail & Sign card will be charged $0.50 for tax. This applies to all US ports (embarkation home ports and ports-of-call). 

Last time I checked, the Bahamas were not part of the United States.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You do pay sales tax while in port before sail away on embarkation day. It is nominal, on average less than a dollar per drink. In January on the Sunshine out of Charleston I was paying like 80-some cents per drink while in port. I was drinking pina coladas, about $10 per drink if paying a-la-carte.

I didn't pay any attention when we were in port in the Bahamas, so I can't speak to that. But all in all, I didn't find it enough to make the drink package not worth it.

• Like 1

Says all US ports, and in parenthesis: embarkation and ports of call. Clearly means both homeports and ports of call in the US. Some itineraries include port stops in the US like Key West and routes that travel up or down the US coast. Does not apply to foreign ports of call.

• Like 1

On 3/17/2022 at 8:26 PM, emoorehead said:

I didn't pay any attention when we were in port in the Bahamas, so I can't speak to that. 

It is not charged in the Bahamas.  I stayed on the ship last week in Nassau drinking and had no charges.

In Texas, which may not be true of all ports you pay for all your drinks on embarkation day, Cheers kicks in at 6:00 am on day 2.   Since you can bring two bottles of wine onboard, we had that for our get on the ship and sail away drinks.  Then later in the evening had a beverage or two.

Ah didn't realise the drinks package doesn't kick in until the next day, thanks for the tip, I'll check the small print and will make sure we bring a first night bottle of wine then, are you allowed to bring any spirits on board ? It's a postponed 50th birthday celebration so would I be allowed to bring a bottle of champagne or is it only wine allowed? 

Thanks 

23 minutes ago, colhutch said:

Ah didn't realise the drinks package doesn't kick in until the next day, thanks for the tip, I'll check the small print and will make sure we bring a first night bottle of wine then, are you allowed to bring any spirits on board ? It's a postponed 50th birthday celebration so would I be allowed to bring a bottle of champagne or is it only wine allowed? 

Thanks 

It doesn't kick in the next day if you are sailing out of a Texas port, for other US ports it is active from the moment you walk on the ship (and having to pay sales tax). This is because of Texas law.

4 hours ago, colhutch said:

Thanks 

Champagne IS wine, so yes.

Also, if you're in TX or NY, you don't pay Cheers price that first day either.  Carnival isn't charging you for that day on the package.   So if it's a 7 day cruise, Cheers is only priced per Six Days.