One More Covid Testing Question

travellingnana

If either a "Fully Vaccinated" or an "Up To Date" or even a "Not Vaccinated" passenger can now take a PCR test 3 days prior to boarding, then why does the Princess website claim that acceptable proof of a negative covid test is: A specimen collection date 2 days or less before cruise departure   Which is it??

3 minutes ago, travellingnana said:

If either a "Fully Vaccinated" or an "Up To Date" or even a "Not Vaccinated" passenger can now take a PCR test 3 days prior to boarding, then why does the Princess website claim that acceptable proof of a negative covid test is: A specimen collection date 2 days or less before cruise departure   Which is it??

Princess has told me that their CruiseHealth webpage contains the most current requirement & was dated on 3/15/22.

https://www.princess.com/plan/cruise-with-confidence/cruise-health/frequently-asked-questions/us-cruises/

Will I need to have a pre-travel viral COVID-19 test performed prior to boarding the ship?

Yes, in accordance with CDC directives, ALL guests will be required to produce a negative viral COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) result taken before embarkation. Testing requirements are as follows:

Vaccination Status

CDC Definition

Pre-Travel Test-Type

When to Take Test Before Boarding

Fully Vaccinated

Received primary series of COVID-19 vaccines with final dose at least 14 days before embarkation

Antigen

Within 2 days

PCR

Within 3 days

Up to Date

Received all recommended COVID-19 vaccines, including any booster dose(s) when eligible at least 7 days before embarkation

Antigen

Within 3 days

PCR

Within 3 days

Not Vaccinated

Not fully vaccinated

PCR

Within 3 days

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Astro Flyer said:

Princess has told me that their CruiseHealth webpage contains the most current requirement & was dated on 3/15/22.

https://www.princess.com/plan/cruise-with-confidence/cruise-health/frequently-asked-questions/us-cruises/

Will I need to have a pre-travel viral COVID-19 test performed prior to boarding the ship?

Yes, in accordance with CDC directives, ALL guests will be required to produce a negative viral COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) result taken before embarkation. Testing requirements are as follows:

Vaccination Status

CDC Definition

Pre-Travel Test-Type

Fully Vaccinated

Received primary series of COVID-19 vaccines with final dose at least 14 days before embarkation

Antigen

Within 2 days

PCR

Within 3 days

Up to Date

Received all recommended COVID-19 vaccines, including any booster dose(s) when eligible at least 7 days before embarkation

Antigen

Within 3 days

PCR

Within 3 days

Not Vaccinated

Not fully vaccinated

PCR

Within 3 days

Yes, but this:

The negative COVID-19 test result must include:

·         Where the test was administered, including information such as the name and contact information for the laboratory or healthcare personnel who performed the test

·         Type of test (indicating it is a NAAT or antigen test)

·         A specimen collection date 2 days or less before cruise departure

·         Guest’s name and either date of birth, age, or passport number

is on that exact same 3/15/22 updated page under What is Acceptable Proof...

9 hours ago, Tedferg said:

I feel the table is latest information and is correct. Poor follow up by Princess not to check all locations where number of days is mentioned.

I feel the same way but also understand why others may feel differently.

Here’s another chart from their SVP of Sales 3/15/22 webinar.

0BCF02AB-73D4-4B95-88E8-0EC4A49013EC.jpeg

5 hours ago, alibabacruisers said:

Hi everyone, we are new to Princess and this covid process, and have booked a cruise in September.  I thought I read somewhere that some were offering the rapid test prior to boarding?  Can anyone elaborate on that?  Thank you in advance.

Princess, at least in the USA, does not offer free testing at the pier unless it is required by a destination port (but if it is so required, the 2 or 3 day pre-cruise test is still needed). There may or may not be testing near the pier at your cost.

8 hours ago, alibabacruisers said:

Hi everyone, we are new to Princess and this covid process, and have booked a cruise in September.  I thought I read somewhere that some were offering the rapid test prior to boarding?  Can anyone elaborate on that?  Thank you in advance.

If you are on a UK cruise, Princess will be able to do the test at the pier. The cost is $US60. (refer to other threads about this).

That is what we'll be doing as it will be easier than trying to get it done in Southampton where we'll be 2 days prior to our cruise.

On 3/18/2022 at 9:53 AM, tonit964 said:

I'm not risking anything and going for the test on day 2 even though I can test on day 3 per my summary page update for my 4/17 cruise.

That cuts down the time for results to come through, how will you test? I ask because unless we pay $125 our options are 48 and 72 hours. 72 is Kaiser and probably will be ok for 3 days. We will do CVS and Kaiser as insurance, but use 3 days.

Edited by Tedferg
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tedferg said:

That cuts down the time for results to come through, how will you test? I ask because unless we pay $125 our options are 48 and 72 hours. 72 is Kaiser and probably will be ok for 3 days. We will do CVS and Kaiser as insurance, but use 3 days.

I'm getting tested at Kaiser in the early AM 2 days before the cruise. Not sure if I want to change it to 3 days before. My fear is getting to the terminal and they will say I tested too soon because some parts of the website hasn't been updated.

I'm thinking if I don't get the test results back in time, I'll just test at the terminal.

So lets talk about this.  First...there are two basic categories of tests, Antigen and Molecular (i,e, PCR, LAMP, etc).  So the first question is what you need.  If you are allowed to use an antigen test then that is going to be the cheaper alterative.  An Antigen test can give results in about 15 min whether it is done at a testing site (that does their own analysis) or with a home test.  Home tests come in two varieties...one being a self test where it is all on your.....or a home test (the same test) that is proctored.  The proctored home tests cost more (usually about $25-$35 per test kit and most folks recommend buying 2 test kits per person in case you get a defective test kit or you mess up the process (which will be viewed by a proctor via your phone/device.  

Where we live there is a local testing place that will do an antigen test for $49 per person and e-mail the results within 20 min!   If we want to get a PCR test we can get it free (covered by our insurance) but it can take 2-5 days to get the results!   But if you are traveling and need a PCR test you need to find a place that will guarantee results within 24-48 hours since you need it for your trip.

So what to do?  Common sense says if you only need a cheaper and faster antigen test then that makes the most sense.  And you can either go to some testing site or do it on your own (but most cruise lines and the US Government requires a proctored test for travel purposes.

For those who need a PCR test and must have results within 48 hours....good luck.  That happened to us last October when we were flying to Barbados to catch a cruise.  The government of Barbados required a regular PCR test (which does not include the faster LAMP tests) which had to be done within 3 days of our arrival.  We had to drive about 1:40 min each way to a medical lab that guaranteed test results within 24 hours (we had our results in about 20 hours).   Popular places like CVS told us there was a chance we would get our results in time....but they would not guarantee.

Just a note.  When we returned from a trip in December we decided to get a PCR test to make sure we were OK to be around family at Christmas.  We went to a nearby Quest Labs testing facility since they are a reliable medical lab and the test would be covered by Medicare.  I got my test results in about 40 hours but DW (who was tested at the same time) did not get her results until 4 1/2 days after testing.

Hank

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, tonit964 said:

I'm getting tested at Kaiser in the early AM 2 days before the cruise. Not sure if I want to change it to 3 days before. My fear is getting to the terminal and they will say I tested too soon because some parts of the website hasn't been updated.

I'm thinking if I don't get the test results back in time, I'll just test at the terminal.

I understand but I fear there is more risk that Kaiser will not make the 2 days than Princess saying  you misread website. Are you fully vaccinated? If so then Kaser PCR works for days whether you have Booster or not.

23 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

I understand but I fear there is more risk that Kaiser will not make the 2 days than Princess saying  you misread website. Are you fully vaccinated? If so then Kaser PCR works for days whether you have Booster or not.

I'm "up to date" so vaccinated & boosted. You have a good point about timing vs misreading it. I don't even know what test I should get, PCR or Antigen? 

1 hour ago, tonit964 said:

22 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

We are getting the PCR test at KP WH which is likely also your testing location. I have used them many times before procedures, flights to Maui and cruises. Their processing lab is located in Chino Hills & we’ve always received our test results within 24 hours.

I am not attempting to sway anyones decision & only sharing the reasons we’ll soon get a more reliable PCR test 3 days before our cruise but each of us decides on our own comfort level.

Our Travel Summary eliminated the 2 days requirement & now states to view the most current CruiseHealth webpage which shows 3 days except for non-boosted getting an antigen test which is 2 days. At the SVP of Sales 3/15 webinar he stated & showed a slide with these requirements. I trust his statement more than from any other unknown Princess rep.

Vaccination Status

CDC Definition

Pre-Travel Test-Type

Fully Vaccinated

Antigen

Within 2 days

PCR

Within 3 days

Up to Date

Antigen

Within 3 days

PCR

Within 3 days

Not Vaccinated

Not fully vaccinated

PCR

Within 3 days

As an example, for a fully vaccinated guest sailing on Sunday, the 2-day antigen test may be taken on Friday or Saturday, and as late as Sunday, if you are guaranteed to receive your results in time for check-in.

Fully vaccinated and up to date guests will be required to provide proof of a negative COVID-19 test along with proof of vaccination upon arrival in the terminal and can then proceed on board.

Guests that have been approved for a vaccination exemption will be advised of additional requirements. For guests under 5 years-old this includes the pre-travel test outlined above, plus an embarkation day COVID-19 test performed at the terminal.

Guests who travel internationally should always ensure they understand all entry and airline requirements to travel from their home country and the destinations they plan to visit, including where health authorities may require pre-travel COVID-19 testing.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, tonit964 said:

I'm "up to date" so vaccinated & boosted. You have a good point about timing vs misreading it. I don't even know what test I should get, PCR or Antigen? 

PCR which I’ve read is more accurate.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

We are getting the PCR test at KP WH which is likely also your testing location. I have used them many times before procedures, flights to Maui and cruises. Their processing lab is located in Chino Hills & we’ve always received our test results within 24 hours.

I am not attempting to sway anyones decision & only sharing the reasons we’ll soon get a more reliable PCR test 3 days before our cruise but each of us decides on our own comfort level.

Our Travel Summary eliminated the 2 days requirement & now states to view the most current CruiseHealth webpage which shows 3 days except for non-boosted getting an antigen test which is 2 days. At the SVP of Sales 3/15 webinar he stated & showed a slide with these requirements. I trust his statement more than from any other unknown Princess rep.

Vaccination Status

CDC Definition

Pre-Travel Test-Type

Fully Vaccinated

Antigen

Within 2 days

PCR

Within 3 days

Up to Date

Antigen

Within 3 days

PCR

Within 3 days

Not Vaccinated

Not fully vaccinated

PCR

Within 3 days

As an example, for a fully vaccinated guest sailing on Sunday, the 2-day antigen test may be taken on Friday or Saturday, and as late as Sunday, if you are guaranteed to receive your results in time for check-in.

Fully vaccinated and up to date guests will be required to provide proof of a negative COVID-19 test along with proof of vaccination upon arrival in the terminal and can then proceed on board.

Guests that have been approved for a vaccination exemption will be advised of additional requirements. For guests under 5 years-old this includes the pre-travel test outlined above, plus an embarkation day COVID-19 test performed at the terminal.

Guests who travel internationally should always ensure they understand all entry and airline requirements to travel from their home country and the destinations they plan to visit, including where health authorities may require pre-travel COVID-19 testing.

Thank you for easing my mind. I'll be getting the PCR test 3 days before at KP in Simi Valley.

35 minutes ago, tonit964 said:

I am 99.6% sure that Kaiser only does PCR, so my bet would be 3 day Kaiser/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

PCR which I’ve read is more accurate.

No doubt!  It is also more expensive (unless you can get insurance to pay) and can take days to return results.  We have been traveling extensively since last July and at one point needed 5 tests (3 Antigen and 2 PCR) for a 2 week cruise.  My concern with cruising and international travel has been meeting all the requirements in terms of testing, passenger locator forms (required by many countries), vaccine documents, etc.     The most accurate test on earth is not going to be helpful if you do not get the results in time for your cruise or flight (if flying somewhere that requires test results).   I have actually witnessed a couple turned away from a flight (to Istanbul) because they had not yet received their test results.

Many insurance companies will only cover PCR tests.  The insurance company does not care if it takes 1 day or a week for you to get results.  Just tell them you may have been exposed to COVID and that justifies the test (it is the current Federal rule).  But if you need those test results to get on your cruise or plane you better be thinking "will I have the results in time?"  Ironically, where we live in Mexico for part of the year there are at least 5 places within walking distance of our Condo that will do antigen tests or PCR tests with guaranteed results within a day (or faster).  But here in the USA the testing situation really varies depending on where you live.

Hank

• Like 1

This is all making my head spin - not that it takes much.  Sometime between now and September when we have our UK cruise I'll figure out what the current rules are and what I need - but one thing bugs me - what do I have to show to get on the ship?  We don't have a smartphone - but I did get a tablet just to do the Medallion App...so I'm guessing we'll get an email and will need to show that?

8 hours ago, bjkTX said:

This is all making my head spin - not that it takes much.  Sometime between now and September when we have our UK cruise I'll figure out what the current rules are and what I need - but one thing bugs me - what do I have to show to get on the ship?  We don't have a smartphone - but I did get a tablet just to do the Medallion App...so I'm guessing we'll get an email and will need to show that?

Not sure what you mean by get an email. About what?

Don't worry is the best advice I can give. As things stand at the moment you can have the Covid test to board at the pier when you arrive. It can be cheaper than the $60 Princess charge if you get it done at home or in the UK if you are arriving earlier, but to stop your head spinning and the worry, get it done at the pier. The rules may change by September.

If you are having any problems with the App and all that stuff, don't worry, and just make sure you have your passports, vaccination history, and cruise paperwork when you check in. Princess can look after everything at check in. Don't stress about it.

• Like 1